Start by marking “Tender Delirium” as Want to Read:
Tender Delirium

Tender Delirium

Tender Delirium is Tania De Rozario's first collection of poetry and short prose. It brings together (but is not limited to) estranged lovers, despairing mothers and the avenging spirits of murdered women, in an assortment of words that celebrate queer desire, obsessive longing and a general disregard for "proper" subject matter. Comprising selected work written over the course of ...more
Published April 2013 by Math Paper Press

To ask other readers questions about Tender Delirium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tender Delirium

Start your review of Tender Delirium
Diana
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
after i finished reading the last poem of this book (i was in bed), i sunk into my pillow & said "wow that was good" The first poem in the book:

What You Are

I want to write you a poem that unravels
from the gut, hurls itself towards you
like a slap across the mouth. Let my words
unleash themselves upon you like dogs
looking for a fight, like seeds bursting
from overripe pods. let every vowel
explode in your face like cruel laughter,
e
zhixin
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What is more important in poetry, head or heart? Someone once asked on Facebook, referring to mastery of technique and depth of emotion. One of the replies said something to the effect of "Head, everyone has heart." I begged to differ then, and still do -- poetry without heart is just vain display, purposeless, the opposite of De Rozario's collection which is filled with the urgency and desperation of excellent poetry. And not everyone has that, especially those who are too comfortable. Tender Deliriu ...more
Kumiko Mae LovingSunshine
the book started pretty strong for me. i really liked what you are. then it somehow lost me along the way. some of her prose were alienating. not necessarily bec they were badly written, but because they were from a diff voice. a voice i do recall appreciating before. but now, im looking for a very specific tone. this just wasnt it
Teo
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm wavering between two opinions of De Rozario's poems - one of them being introspectively honest; one of them being somewhat repetitive and uninspiring. I guess at many points in this collection it's not easy to differentiate the two feelings evoked. While some of the poems did strike me as rather poignant with fresh imagery, at times De Rozario's writing came across as a little elusive (much like Cyril Wong's poetry - good control of diction and rhythm but as a reader it's not easy to identif ...more
Insin
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a pure, undiluted confessional poetry collection centred very much on the self. If you're looking for raw, explicit poetry this is the book for you.
Like all poetry collections there were brilliant hits and some misses. I really liked 'watching flowers grow', how readers are eased from a modest-looking title into an ocean of heartbreak and angst.
Four stars to credit Rozario's excellent stylistic techniques - her line breaks in especial are very well-placed and thought-provokin
Serene
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loss and heartbreak are the main themes of the book. It made me feel heavy and light at the same time. I can best compare the book to an open wound: raw, bloody, messy, uncensored, naked and tender to the touch. I liked how the first poem “what you are” set the tone for the rest of the book - it is not meant to make you feel comfortable, it is meant to make you feel all sorts of things, just like love in all realness.
S.q. Ng
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
First poetry book I've read from Singapore, recommended by my friend Megan. Enjoyed the confessional tone and raw expository writing style. Editing this after I've read another book by another author. Tania's style of writing is clear, opinionated and doesn't leave you hanging. There are strong parts within certain pieces which I love yet I'm unable to find a piece which I felt was impressive as a whole. Excited to read her other works
Syarafina
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve always love poetry books written by different authors about the perspective that they have towards life, love, family and etc ..

And tender delirium is the first poetry book that i have read from tania ,it gives me the feel to keep on reading to know more of what she has written and i will definitely read her second book
Wayne Shin
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is honest, brutally so, but above all, it is beautiful. It is beautiful in the way that it demands to be read, by it's ice cold verse and it's manipulation of reality, it demands to be felt. Tender Delirium is a force to be reckoned with and it screams with personality and delivers heartfelt messages with the same pen that strikes down with merciless candor.

Absolutely Great read!
Ryu
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, poetry, singlit
This was AMAZING; finished it in half an hour or so. WORTH EVERY DOLLAR.
Shiks
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Re-reading this one just so I could connect with my feelings again.
My favorite piece would have to be "Goodbye" and "Un-".
Angelin
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rozario's poems were written in a style that I have never seen before that goes deep into the heart, if not the soul. Her poems had the ability of reaching you, the intensity and emotions all with it. One of the best poetry collection I've ever laid eyes on.
Guan You
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The ease of elegance and grace exhibited in this poetry collection is quite simply breathtaking, to the point that it looks almost as if it were effortlessly innate. Thoroughly enjoyed this book for its exuberance of emotions.
Jas
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ah! This was so beautiful to read. Every few passages that I read led me to pause, feel the spine-tingles, and breathe out. It's just incredibly beautiful poetry. I would love to hear it recited, and to whisper it in the dark to a lover. Hm.

Jason Lundberg
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bold and fearless and utterly compelling in its confessional intensity. Simply astounding. Tania De Rozario is absolutely a poet to watch; I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.
Audria
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
raw and intense. my absolute favourite local collection.
Vera
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Honest and felt. Tania is a voice to watch.
Olivia
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this.
Chrystal Ho
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
explosion of glass and vibrancy
Shuqi

• A Very Easy Death
  • Hustling Verse: An Anthology of Sex Workers' Poetry
  • Nimita's Place
  • Lady Oracle
Tania De Rozario is an artist, writer and educator engaged with issues of gender and sexuality, Feminine Monstrosity in Asian Cinema and notions of home. She is the author of And The Walls Come Crumbling Down, (Math Paper Press | 2016) and Tender Delirium (Math Paper Press |2013) - the latter was shortlisted for the 2014 Singapore Literature Prize.

Tania was the 2011 winner of Singapore’s Golden P
“You remember the dialogue you had with yourself, you can quote the emotion word for word, as if you’re still there, as if it matters that you can map in detail the geographies of regret.

It starts with a hope and ends with a turn of the stomach: a cringe at the excuses you make for your heart, a momentary forever you remember on alternate days over coffee and novels that hit too close to home.

You cry because you know the point at which you could have turned back but didn’t, could have taken time by the throat and resisted, could have ignored the phone, answered that message, said no, said yes, said nothing, smiled - whatever it is that you didn’t do. But by the time that moment ends, it is over and you are in too deep, wondering why there exists no rewind button for the soul, no second chance for the petty player, no backup plan for those who risk everything on nothing, all at once.”
2 likes