Start by marking “One Realm Beyond (Realm Walkers, #1)” as Want to Read:
One Realm Beyond (Realm Walkers, #1)

One Realm Beyond

(Realm Walkers #1)

Cantor D’Ahma waited his whole life for this day. Born with a gift to jump between worlds, the young realm walker is finally ready to leave his elderly mentor and accept his role as protector and defender of the realms.

But mere hours after he steps through his first portal, Cantor discovers that his job will be more dangerous and difficult than he ever imagined
Published January 28th 2014 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about One Realm Beyond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Realm Beyond

September
I received this as an advanced reader copy from Zondervan.

Where to begin, where to begin? There was so much about this book that I loved it will be hard to really express it into words. Donita K. Paul has a very special charm to her writing that grows stronger and more distinct with every book she puts out. In One Realm Beyond her style explodes with colorful personalities, delightfully quippy dialogue and unique metaphors all dancing together to make me giggle in my nest of warm fuzzies.

Cantor D'Ah
Emileigh Latham
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Donita K. Paul's sunny and merry writing is back with her colorful descriptions and excellent attention to detail.

good:
I thought Bixby was adorable and so unique. She was a strong female character who loved fashion and shopping. A girly-girl - who wore multiple layers and colors and textures of clothing - demonstrated courage, bravery, and confidence even in dangerous situations.
Dukmee was another one of my favorite characters. He was a young man with many talents. Dukmee
Bill Tillman
I am always amazed by Donita Paul's easy to read adventures. No stumbling over tough words or hidden meanings, says puts things into easy to understand dialogue. She is especially good at picking coming of age hero' and heroines. Cantor, Bixgy, Dukmee and of course the dragon Bridger become friends quickly and enchant you till the end.
Anthony
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ever since I was young, I have been fascinated by fantasy stories of all types. I ate through and devoured series after series as that sat on my table. Since then, I have moved on past some of those old childhood series and onto newer and more mature books. However, One Realm Beyond, the first book the the Realm Walkers series by Donita K. Paul, was a return to those past memories, albeit a short one.

Being the first book in what seems to be a much larger series, Paul laid the foundat
J.L. Mbewe
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Donita K. Paul returns with her style of creativity in Realm Walkers: One Realm Beyond. And I love her creativity. I never know what I'll find when I'm venturing in one of her stories.

This one is written for a younger audience similar to that of the DragonKeeper Chronicles, which I love. And I LOVE young adult novels, but this one feels more middle grade. Perhaps the style felt a bit young for me, but I LOVE her DragonKeeper Chronicles. I think the difference with this one is t
Courtney Vasiliev
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
4.5 Stars

One Realm Beyond is not the normal kind of book I read. I have never been one to read Fantasy. I haven't even read Throne of Glass, which has been on my TBR pile forever. The cover of this novel is what made me want to request this book. I think that is just a BEAUTIFUL cover.

I have been putting One Realm Beyond off for a while now. It's hard to read a book when your going in with "it's fantasy I'm not going to like it" So one day I pulled my big girl pants on and decided t
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-copies
description

The world where two different planes and different realms exists, there is a selective group of people with gifts that can jump the realms and help people. Cantor has been learning how to be a realm walker ever since he was a boy and was blessed to have an amazing mentor who was a legend. When Cantor finally passes his final test before being a realm walker, he is set for an adventure to find his dragon, be a traveler, and make friends along the way.

description

One Realm Beyond was nothing that I've read before. I rarely read High Fantasy books but it made me realize how exciting the world can actually be. The adventures, details, and character development was amazing. Although slow paced at times, it kept my attention and made me love the whole book. My favorite character by far was Bridger - smart, witty dragon who got into his head that he was Cantor's. Me and him could definitely be best friends! Definitely recommend for anyone who is a fan of fantasy and dragons and cannot read the next book!
Shannon McDermott
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cantor only ever wanted one thing: To be a realm walker – to travel from one plane to another, helping, discovering, adventuring, with an impressive dragon by his side.

All right. He wanted two things. One he will certainly get.

One Realm Beyond is the first book in Donita K. Paul’s Realm Walkers series. The shape-shifting mor dragons are a classic fantasy element, but overall the book had sci-fi flair to it. The “realms” were given a more or less sci-fi explanation; even the special/>One
Jen
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Lisa
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this through the BookLook Bloggers Program in exchange for a fair and honest review.

First, let me say that for a book published by a Christian Imprint, I was thoroughly impressed with the fact that the religious aspects in this book were so subtle that, if you did not know to look for them, you would have believed it to be mainstream young adult fantasy fiction. For a lot of people, that is really a good thing.

I was impressed with how well thought out and well
Jill Williamson
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cantor has trained his whole life to be a realm walker. He sets off through a portal on his first solo journey and is immediately caught up in an adventure. And while he makes new friends with another realm walker and two dragons—including one who likes to shop—he also discovers that the world is corrupt. Even the members of the Realm Walkers Guild cannot be trusted. There are few heroes left in all the realms, and Cantor and his new friends step up to the challenge.

This book was delightful. Do
Laura A. Grace
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first novel I have read by Donita K. Paul and what an epic novel it was! She has a fascinating way of weaving me into the story that it constantly left me turning pages as soon as I could!

My favorite thing about "One Realm Beyond" was the dragons! They were so very awesome and were nothing like how I read in other fantasy stories! Bridger is quite hilarious and I love his sister's beauty/spunk! Not only were these dragons utterly amazing, but so was Bixby! I loved her quirky ways an
Aaron Russell
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Filled to the brim with imaginative ideas, memorable characters, and Christian themes woven into the story, One Realm Beyond is the beginning of the new 'Realm Walkers' series by Donita K. Paul. I think there are going to be three novels in total, but I'm not entirely sure. What I am sure of, however, is that this is a fantastic start! The book may seem slow paced to some, but Mrs. Paul puts a lot into building up the plot and fleshing out the world(Or should I say worlds, flat worlds stacked li ...more
Serena
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Donita K. Paul has not let me down yet! One Realm Beyond is classic Paul, full of colorful characters of various races--including dragons, of course--thrown into a captivating plot.

While Cantor is the center of attention, Bixby might be my favorite character. She seems flawless at first, almost elf-like, but her vulnerability soon begins to peek through as she becomes refreshingly real. And Bridger. Dear, dear Bridger also wiggled his way up there on my list, despite being the most a
Galaxy Adventurer
Join Cantor, Bridger, Bixby, and Totobee-Rodolow on exciting (and sometimes crazy ;) adventures! From Cantor being caught by Brinkswikkers(not going to tell you who those are) or spying on some members of the Realm Walkers guild or saving prisoners(again not spoiling it! :).
When you read this book it makes you want to jump into it and hang out with the characters!
And the cover is so cool, I love it!!
I loved this book so much!! And the ending just left me wanting to get the next
Lisa Godfrees
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Donita K Paul is the master of creating quirky characters in fantastical realms.

Who can't help but fall in love with Bridger, Bixby, Duckmee, Cantor, and Totobee Rodelo? And the idea of stacked realms - how cleverly wonderful.

I did a combination of reading (I had to see how the names were spelled) and listening via whispersync. I enjoyed this book every bit as much as I enjoyed her original Dragon series. And I'm more than pleased that the second book in the series releases this mon
April Suter
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy readers
My high school student reviewed this book:
Trip into the mystical life of those who travel the planes.
Left me wanting more.
Creative wildlife, characters and setting.
Would recommend to fans of fantasy!
Mary
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book very good love that the characters have a deep bond good story about growing up and belief in yourself. And belief in God
Melody Martin
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it

What was the most compelling part?

When Cantor and Bridger meet, I automatically adored Bridger. He was funny, clever, and unique from the other dragons. When Cantor balked against him I was a little upset, so one of the aspects that kept me going in this book was watching Cantor warm up to Bridger. I really wanted to know if he would officially name Bridger as his constant, which means they're together forever.

Were you disappointed at all?

Not really. I thought I was go
Grace
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cantor is destined for great things. He’s just been given the title of realm walker, and much is expected from him. His sacred oath to protect the realms is crucial to mankind. Leaving his mentor, Ahma, behind, he sets off for adventure. Cantor leaps through a portal on his first journey into a new realm, but this time as a true realm walker. As a young man, he finds the feeling of independence refreshing.

On his trek, Cantor meets a clumsy, shape-shifting dragon by the name of Bridge
Janet Sketchley
At 20 years old, Cantor is ready to step from apprenticeship into his role as a realm walker. His first solo assignment? Travel in another realm until he finds the mor dragon who will be his partner.

Cantor knows better than to accept the first dragon he meets, especially since the dragon manages to set himself on fire (while disguised as a haystack). But the dragon, Bridger, keeps following him.

Soon Cantor joins up with two other strangers to this realm and the three huma
James Swenson
Mar 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Born with the ability to walk between worlds, Cantor is about
to begin his life as a Realm Walker. His first task: to step
through, and seek the dragon who will be his life-long partner.
His elderly caretakers have begun his training; now, the Realm
Walkers' Guild must continue it. But can the Guild be trusted?

One Realm Beyond is a coming of age adventure written for
Christian kids in the middle grades. Initially, I assumed the
text would be oppressively fundamenta/>One
April Erwin
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cantor D’Ahma is starting his life. The last 20 years have all been preparation for the day he’ll become a Realm Walker. First he must find his dragon constant, but he can’t take the first dragon he stumbles across. Can he? Bridger the dragon thinks so and there go the dominoes for the rest of the story. One thing leads to another and soon Cantor has embarked on an adventure with a dragon, a cat, and a very unique and talented girl named, Bixby. For Cantor and his friends their adventure is only ...more
Jaime
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have always been a huge fan of Donita K. Paul's books. She weaves powerful messages within the pages of fun fantasy and magical worlds filled with dragons, wizards, and unforgettable characters. Within the first installment of her newest trilogy, she does much the same.

Between the obnoxious Bridger and the creative and a little strange Bixby, Paul's characters in One Realm Beyond bring the story to life. I love how Paul crafts her characters, giving them unique characteristics even
Linda
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
My family and I have long been fans of Donita K. Paul’s Dragonkeeper Chronicles, so naturally I was thrilled to be offered a sneak peek at the first book in her new series, Realm Walkers. One Realm Beyond introduces us to a whole new world consisting of several “realms” which can only be accessed by Realm Walkers who make use of special portals. After a long apprenticeship, the Realm Walkers are sent forth to right wrongs and uphold justice--but only after finding and bonding with a special shap ...more
Sharon
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book for review is “One Realm Beyond” by Donita K. Paul. It falls into the genre of teen fiction and fantasy.

Our main character is Cantor D’ ahma. He is a young man who has been groomed by his mentor to be a realm walker. This is someone who can travel between worlds. His job is to protect and defend the realms that are present.

Saying good-bye to Ahma and Odem, his mentors and the only family he has known, he enters a new world. Upon doing so he immediate encounters a
Carol R.
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Donita K. Paul returns with a new fantasy series aimed at middle school readers, filled with unforgettable characters (both human and dragon) in a battle of good vs. evil.

In One Realm Beyond, Cantor d’Ahma trained with an elderly mentor for the past twenty years. He is finally ready to begin his role as a realm walker, a protector and defender of the realms. His first step: find his dragon constant, but he is unprepared to bond with the first dragon he meets, especially since Bridger
(Jenna) The Artist Librarian
4 1/2 stars.

Donita K. Paul makes her return to fantasy after a two year absence: a new book set in a new world (along with a new publisher, Zondervan instead of Waterbrook) that will charm and delight readers anew.

Cantor D’Ahma is an untested new member of the Realm Walker Guild, the protectors of the nine planes (or realms) with the ability to travel between them through portals. During his first mission, he discovers that the long heard rumors of corruption within the G
Heather
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed both main characters in One Realm Beyond. While Cantor drove me a bit batty with his refusal of Bridger, he still was well developed which was one of the reasons I was able to get annoyed with him. Bixby was quite the quirky character who had some issues of her own. The flawed characters helped make the characters more believable. The mor dragon aspect is quite interesting. Bridger cracks me up as he’s this beautiful, amazing creature, but his clumsy nature often causes him issues. Tot ...more
Faye
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Leo's Review:

One Realm Beyond (Realm Walkers)Cantor is one of the gift realm walkers, blessed and cursed with the gift to walk the line between realms. But through the years the Realm Walkers Guild has become corrupt and there are those who masquerade about as if they were realm walkers.

One of the first things Cantor must do is find a dragon constant to help him on his quests. Cantor finds a young dragon, Bridger who desperately wants to be Cantors constant.

With the help of his new friends,
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Favorite Character 5 14 Jul 07, 2014 01:47PM

• Goddess Tithe (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #5.5)
  • Outcasts (Safe Lands, #2)
  • Diviner (Dragons of Starlight, #3)
  • The Sword in the Stars (Dark Sea Annals, #1)
  • The Restorer's Journey (The Sword of Lyric #3)
  • Merlin's Shadow (The Merlin Spiral #2)
  • Of the Persecuted (Legends of the Woodlands, #1)
  • Failstate
  • Judge (Books of the Infinite, #2)
  • The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)
  • Raven's Ladder (The Auralia Thread, #3)
I am an author of Christian Fantasy. My first 7 books were Christian Romance, but I came over to the Dark Side when I heard there were cookies.

Realm Walkers (3 books)
  • Two Renegade Realms (Realm Walkers, #2)
  • The Prophecy of Three (Realm Walkers #3)
“No decision should be made on an empty shopping bag.” 8 likes