Start by marking “Who Killed John F. Kennedy? (Lose Your Own Adventure #1)” as Want to Read:
Who Killed John F. Kennedy? (Lose Your Own Adventure #1)

Who Killed John F. Kennedy?

(Lose Your Own Adventure #1)

It was supposed to be a happy occasion- a visit to your hometown by the President of the United States, John F. Kennedy. But no sooner had he arrived than he was gunned down in cold blood! You're a brilliant kid detective on your toughest case ever! Your Dad, the Chief of Police, has a suspect in custody, a Marxist named Lee Harvey Oswald. But is he really the assassin? Yo ...more
Paperback, Retro-sized Edition, 190 pages
Published July 21st 2013 by Despair, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Who Killed John F. Kennedy?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Killed John F. Kennedy?

karen
okay, i am pretty sure i made it through all the possibilities. i may have missed a page here or there, but one of the authors is afraid i will get murdered before i get a chance to review this because of my moderately unflattering review of The Goodreads Killer, and since he was kind enough to send me a copy of this book for review, i figure i should get 'er done before attempting to cross any more streets.

and it's fitting, really, because i died SO MANY TIMES while i was reading this excellent
Dan Schwent
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
As the young son of Dallas's inept police chief, you take it upon yourself to solve JFK's murder. Can you?

No, you cannot, for this a parody of the Choose Your Own Adventure books you read as a kid, put out by the sick bastards at Despair.Com, makers of such hilarity as the Demotivational posters, like this one:

The book is written in a style that mimics the old CYOA books perfectly while still managing to mock it. I was gripped with nostalgia from the onset and it captivated me for a couple lunch
Jason Koivu
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lose Your Own Adventure? That's right! There's no winning this perfect parody and honest homage to the Choose Your Own Adventure franchise, and yet, losing has never been so much fun!

Though Who Killed John F. Kennedy? has all the cynicism of a Despair.com product and the humor (pop culture references pop up like little joy nuggets) has a modern sensibility in which the absurdity of life abounds, the narrative style is a screeching home-run shot into the centerfield bleachers of those classic C
Melki
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
...no matter how you choose, you're ultimately destined to lose!

Since I am old, I missed out on the popular Choose Your Own Adventure children's book series that was published during the eighties and nineties. For anyone, like me, who is unfamiliar with these books, you do NOT read them straight through...which was a new and totally weird experience for me. YOU are the main character, and at the end of each page, YOU are offered two or three choices. Depending on your pick, YOU turn to a designa
Bradley
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Back in elementary school, I loved reading Choose Your Own Adventure books and kid detective stuff like The Hardy Boys and Cam Jansen, so this was a treat. I've read a few Choose Your Own Adventure-style books for adults (like Ocean and Lard and Super Giant Monster Time, which were written by friends of mine) and I even wrote a chapter using the Choose Your Own Adventure style in my first novel, but this is the only book that I've come across that is a parody of the original series in every conc ...more
Delee
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh my this was fun! I got kicked in the nuts, I died, I got people killed (which was much more fun than it should have been), I met Dan Rather- (Booooooooo Bush for putting a black mark on his career. I still love him -Rather not Bush), I had a cement shoes incident, and I broke my mother's heart... oh woe as me, and so much more...

I never had the "lose your own adventure" experience as a young(er) person, but it was fun to experience as a slightly old(er) person (I am sad to say in this day an
Bob Milne
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
Who Killed John F. Kennedy? is the first Lose Your Own Adventure from Justin Sewell and the gang at Despair, Inc. If you have absolutely no idea what a Choose Your Own Adventure novel is, then you either grew up in the wrong decade, or the wrong kind of school. They were a staple for me back in elementary school. I remember one teacher who had a basket of them sitting at the back of the class, just waiting for somebody to brave the Journey to Stonehenge, face off against the Space Vampire, or ri ...more
Mat Hames
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In the summer of 1982, I read my first "Choose Your Own Adventure" book - and was instantly hooked on the idea of an adventure in which I was "the star!" The 'Choose Your Own Adventure' series, alongside interactive fiction computer games ('Zork', and 'Planetfall', 'Sorcerer'), enthralled me and allowed me to feel like I was actually making consequential choices (my very own adventure!) beyond deciding to watch 'Star Blazers' and 'Battle of the Planets' after school.

In retrospect, these books we
Bradley
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could have sworn that I reviewed this. Weird. Anyway:

Jeremy
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's been 50 years since JFK was killed by his own government, and finally we have a well-illustrated book that outlines all of the ways the American people were duped by their own leaders. From the disco-club-owning killer to Hoover's whitewashing, it's all here. You will turn each page (with fingers left in all the right places) and you will discover all the ways you have been deceived, but you will not crack the case. Because the man will continue to keep you down.

Lose Your Own Adventure #1 i
Paul Burch
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great work on this one.
I bought it thinking it was a funny enough concept to have sitting out for a cheap laugh. The cover was perfect - and when I started reading it I knew they had done it right.

Just a ton of fun.

If you liked the old Encyclopedia Brown books as a kid, or ever read one of those Choose Your Own Adventures - you're going to enjoy this book.

If you're a JFK Conspiracy Buff/Nut - even better.
David
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was worth the wait. I found parts of it very funny, parts very silly, and some parts just ridiculous, but all in all worth my time. Odd, though, that I couldn't find a lead to page 82 or 83. Rather curious...
Chris
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun little CYOA style book, except there's no way to "win" (without just going directly to pg. 83).
Chris Otto
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Weirdly effective mixture of nostaglia, parody, history and conspiracy. Edward Packard meets Oliver Stone.
sappho_reader
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I remember the first time I picked up a Choose Your Own Adventure book when I was a kid in the early 1980's. I found it at my grandma's house and it must have been left behind by one of my cousins. I don't remember the exact plot but it was fun to read at the time.

Fast forward three decades later and the crazy nuts at Despair, Inc have created their own series based on the classic series. But this time there is one huge difference - we now have LOSE Your Own Adventure not CHOOSE Your Own Adventu
Jeff Stockett
Aug 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through the Goodreads First Reads program, in exchange for my honest thoughts.

When I was about 10 years old, I thought that Choose Your Own Adventure books were the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't think I've picked one up since then. When I saw one that was written for adults, I knew I had to give it a try.

I will say that I didn't enjoy choosing the path of the story as much as I did as a child. However, this book is still very fun.

You get to be a detect
Rhonda
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I have always loved CYOA books because I get to be the "hero" that saves the day so finding a similar book but aimed at adults- I was thrilled. I tried saving the day with this book- but..unfortunately I kept ending up dying or others were dying but in a good fun way.

One thing I really love about this book is the thick cardstock pages so that I could flip back and forth, back and forth without fear of tearing a page (unlike the CYOA books) and I liked the basic black and white art style.

Good fun
zackxdig
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is super nostalgic for me reading the choose your own adventures as a kid. I burned through this book so quickly becuase I just wanted to find the one way where you didn't come out dead. But every twist and turn you end up dead. Maybe that's why they are calling it "Lose Your Own Adventure". I cheated and saw that there is a winning page, but sadly haven't found the way to it yet. Damn these books for sucking me in.
Kaylee
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was always the child who played the "what-if" game -- never content until I made it through every possibility, then went p a g e b y p a g e to make sure I REALLY did cover all the options.

I highly recommend you do that same thing with this book.

(Predictable, yes, but hilariously so. The illustrations are also spot on. Worth the wait on publishing!)
Douglas Jones
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
WHO KILLED JOHN F. KENNEDY? is the first of the LOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE series. It is a parody of CHOOSE YOUR ADVENTURE YA series and Encyclopedia Brown. No matter what decision you make it ends with you losing. I liked this, you have to be in the mood for it and the many different theories I knew, except the alien cover-up. That was new one. Can't wait for the second volume.
John
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was a fun trip down memory lane with a Choose Your Own Adventure story that was of a more adult type story...been awhile since I updated here and I finished this ages ago so don't recall more. Didn't manage to find all of the endings but I'm pretty sure there are no good ones anyway... LOL
Emily
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fab-four
*Won through Goodreads giveaway*
Hilarious! I'm already a fan of Despair Inc. and this book fit in perfectly. Looking forward to the next Lose Your Own Adventure book. Plus, knowing you'll never pick the right path takes a lot of pressure off reading this book. Bonus!
Brian
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book - it was a nice spoof of the Choose your own Adventure series that I read growing up. The author did his research on the various JFK assassination theories and also did a nice job tying in some pretty funny pop culture and other references.
Jenive
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a child, I would read these books, get to the end, and re-read it again until I exhausted every possible turn. Then I would go through from beginning to end, just in case I missed something. I did the exact same thing with this one! LOVED it!
Simone
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
It got old pretty quickly.
Hester
I lost, I lost every single scenario. It was like my childhood all over again. Thank you for reminding me how much I sucked at these books.
Mindy
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I kept forgetting I couldn't win!! Made this one even more fun! Looking forward to more I still have a few options to get through!
Yassine
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nathalie
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Very fun!
David
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
A better parody than I expected. I'll certainly get the next one if it ever gets written.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Pat the Zombie: A Cruel (Adult) Spoof
  • The Wrong Quarry (Quarry #11)
  • Total Abuse: Collected Writings 1984-1995
  • Icarus (Kestrel Saga, #2)
  • Abstraction
  • Let's Bring Back: An Encyclopedia of Forgotten-Yet-Delightful, Chic, Useful, Curious, and Otherwise Commendable Things from Times Gone By
  • Witkin
  • A Halloween Treat & Edward Gorey’s Ghosts
  • The Marching Dead
  • The Bizarro Starter Kit (Purple)
  • Liartown: The First Four Years 2013-2017
  • The Overwhelming Urge
  • The Temporal Stone (Morgan Sisters, #2)
  • True Norwegian Black Metal
  • The Bizarro Starter Kit (blue)
  • What the Dinosaurs Did Last Night: A Very Messy Adventure