Start by marking “Outside” as Want to Read:
Outside

Outside

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The six stories in Outside showcase Barry Lopez’s majestic talent as a fiction writer. Lopez writes in spare prose, but his narratives resonate with an uncanny power. With a reverence for our exterior and interior landscapes, these stories offer profound insight into the relationships between humans and animals, creativity and beauty, and, ultimately, life and death. Again ...more
Published March 18th 2014 by Trinity University Press (first published February 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Outside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outside

Ahmed Addnan Negim
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
such wild anecdote in the frontiers of the human mind, Barry Lopez is we familiar with his unique use of metaphors , outdated words, random shows of native cultures, manage to cocooned his audience in lopezesque surrealism
Adam
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Six of Lopez's stories, which were pulled from Desert Notes, River Notes, and Field Notes. The strongest of these is likely the final story, "Empira's Tapestry." Paired with a set of engravings.
Taylor Glover
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature, poetry, first-read
Beautifully written, Barry Lopez puts the reader back into nature with this collection of short stories. Showing us a clear link between itself and Humanity. Paired with Barry Moser's engravings, this book is a meditation for the soul. The stories aren't straight forward and leave your mind open for reflection. I really liked the story "The Search For The Heron". I've been close to a blue heron like that, but I never asked the trees nor the wind of it's dreams. Perhaps I will.
KarmA1966
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lopez' minimalist fiction is a razor's edge of precision and is complimented by his use of the magical qualities found in the natural world. Barry Moser's wood carvings compliment the prose, making it a piece of art.
Laurel Kathleen
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
While I didn't always understand what was going on in every story I really appreciate the style of writing and the descriptions of the desert landscapes were fascinating.
Linda Robinson
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful craft, written like weaving a dreamscape of connection human land water animal. Magical, mythic and unforgettable. i feel changed and humble.
Steve
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the different voices in each short story. The stories touch on nature, interactions between animals and their environment, and, in the author's words, the "ethereal dimensions of reality."
Casey
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A quick but lovely read. This seems more like prose poetry than plot-driven story, but if you love nature, this is gorgeous writing.
Carl
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
It was a great collection of short stories and engravings about nature, but my favorite was "The Search for the Heron"
Hoang-Anh
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Magic words coming from the good earth.
Lynne
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
After a tumultuous 2 weeks of American politics, this is the cure for what ails you.
Thoughtful, calm, sad, peaceful, hopeful.
A series of short stories in different landscapes.
Tracy
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
My first Barry Lopez book. Looks like I need to find more!
Gabrielle
  • The Thirtymile Fire: A Chronicle of Bravery and Betrayal
  • Hospice
  • How the Leopard Changed Its Spots: The Evolution of Complexity
  • The Meat Lover's Meatless Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes Carnivores Will Devour
  • Can't Remember What I Forgot: The Good News from the Front Lines of Memory Research
  • Wanda Gág: The Girl Who Lived to Draw
  • The Discovery of Global Warming (New Histories of Science, Technology, and Medicine)
  • The Past and Other Lies
  • To Name Those Lost
  • The Secret World of Walter Anderson
Barry Holstun López is an American author, essayist, and fiction writer whose work is known for its environmental and social concerns.

López has been described as "the nation's premier nature writer" by the San Francisco Chronicle. In his non-fiction, he frequently examines the relationship between human culture and physical landscape, while in his fiction he addresses issues of intimacy, ethics an