Start by marking “Someone Else's Wedding Vows” as Want to Read:
Someone Else's Wedding Vows

Someone Else's Wedding Vows

Someone Else’s Wedding Vows reflects on the different forms of love, which can be both tremendously joyous and devastatingly destructive. The title poem confronts a human ritual of marriage from the standpoint of a wedding photographer. Within the tedium and alienation of the ceremony, the speaker grapples with a strange human hopefulness. In this vein, Stone explores our ...more
Published March 18th 2014 by Tin House Books (first published February 17th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Someone Else's Wedding Vows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone Else's Wedding Vows

Jason
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Stone's poetry does what, in my humble opinion, all good, well-written poetry should do: It confuses; it enlightens; it challenges; it pulls one by the hand, puts its lips up to your ear and whispers some secret for the first time. Each line carries in it some beautiful meaning to be gleaned. Each line refuses simplicity, but begs to be understood, something that is captured in the lines, "And it's true / I spent my whole life in fear of sharing my mind / but with a longing for it to be taken." ...more
Michael
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
from Someone Else's Wedding Vows by Bianca Stone

Letter

Just before dawn the kings come out
and plant the heads of their children in the ground.
I am walking the long passageway to the bathroom
where a metaphysical play is opened to the first page.
Another hurricane rubs against the old master.
Later the kings take their children
like aspirin. They are afraid their children
will be content without them. I am watching a bird
wade into the slush. Even people who don't know
or like me, want to know what I thi
J.A.
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This book hails words. Each poem is pressurized with magnificent tone, forged with the tidy and clever lingo of a poet who knows how to wield language. This is the real deal.
Christina Baswell
This is navel-gazing that does not come off as obnoxiously self-centered. It was oracular and simultaneously down to earth. She may just be my new favorite poet.
Hannah
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, 2014-reads, i-own
Even in the window box we fit

even in the dog's collapsed grave

even in the wreck

and everyday

-Even Moon

Someone Else's Wedding Vows is poet Bianca Stone's full length debut collection. A raw, emotional, beautiful collection of poetry that ranges from topics in varying degrees such as traveling to space, marriage, relationships, and being. She takes a simple concept and transforms it into something whole and immense. There wasn't a poem in her collection I didn't love. Her book is earmarked relentl
Sharon
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new favorite. I haven't genuinely felt something (by 'feeling' I mean literal chills) from poetry from a long while. Throughout the course of the book, I began to develop an affection for the author, for her eccentricity and boldness and frailty, and sordid humor.
Kevin
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I like her formal use of the word "Monsieur" in the long poem of the same name (filled with a bitter sort of sweetness). I also liked the other long poem, "Practicing Vigilance." A lot of great lines throughout but her style is best when the momentum gets going. Really nice cover art too.
Danielle
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I never thought I'd read a poem inspired by Star Trek: Voyager. Happy that the one in this book is so very good.
S.
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really drawn to this. I've finished it, but will be carrying it around for awhile.
John Allen
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Poet Bianca Stone is certainly at the height of her powers in this collection, with probably 3 poems that actually constitute as great and almost great. Most of her poems are existential reflections with meditations on romance, the one seamlessly flowing in the other. I read one poem from this collection and scanned not much further to realize it was a must-read.
Chxrimxr
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5
Lisa
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous and funny with one step off the planet. She contemplates the hour with lucid tenaciousness. Fresh and thoroughly enjoyable to take in.
Bill DeGenaro
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So much here to love...a surreal moment becomes a sentimental moment so quickly. Stone's in such control of that constantly changing tone. Recommend. Best collection of poems I've read in years.
Ben Niespodziany
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My introduction to Bianca Stone, which led to me devouring everything else she's written (and drawn). Highly recommended. Octopus Books knows what's up.
Will
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I struggled with this collection. Bianca Stone certainly knows her way around words often writing evocative imagery and breathtaking phrases but I often get lost in her poems.
Scribd
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: friday-reads
I’ve just started Bianca Stone’s book of poems, and I’m having trouble coming up with the right words to describe it. I started looking for an emblematic quote, but can’t find one; every line is and every line isn’t. The poems vacillate between surrealistic imagery built of mundane minutiae and painfully realistic portraits of relationships in all their absurdity and beauty and pain and joy. She’s judicious and succinct with language but makes every stanza somehow lush, and has a wry sense of hu ...more
Jared Duran
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
An interesting collection. Playful, skilled use of language and form. Tackles love, family, and sentimentality, well, unsentimentally. Never gets lost in stuffy academic obscurism (though threatens on occasions), deftly avoids taking itself too seriously with the occasional geek-out (there's a Star Trek: Voyager poem). However, this collection suffers from a lack of thematic variety, and some of the most memorable poems/lines are dragged under by sustained periods of even tonality.
Tom
Jul 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dull, solipsistic, hermetic, and trite.
Erin Lyndal
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I love a lot of the lines in these poems, and the poems themselves, but I wished for more tightness here as a book.
Gianni
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think this is in my top three books of poetry I read this year. My favorite poem is Elegy with Judy Garland and Refrigerator
Christina

• Beauty Was the Case That They Gave Me
  • What Is Amazing
  • Other People's Comfort Keeps Me up at Night
  • The Feel Trio
  • If the Tabloids Are True What Are You?
  • Mayakovsky's Revolver
  • It Is Daylight
  • Return to the City of White Donkeys
  • Goat In The Snow
  • Meat Heart
“I seek forever the right way to know this.
That there are bridges
not built in me.”
3 likes
“Don't tell me that definition of madness,
doing the same thing over again etcetera.
The definition of madness
is a certain enthusiasm, then there has
to be another person there
to not share it in--who is oppressed by it
who can only stare into it.”
2 likes