Start by marking “There Will Come a Time” as Want to Read:
There Will Come a Time

There Will Come a Time

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,243 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
Mark knows grief. Ever since the accident that killed his twin sister, Grace, the only time he feels at peace is when he visits the bridge on which she died. Comfort is fleeting, but it’s almost within reach when he’s standing on the wrong side of the suicide bars. Almost.

Grace’s best friend, Hanna, says she understands what he’s going through. But she doesn’t. She can’t.
Published April 15th 2014 by Simon Pulse

Biena (The Library Mistress)
Crossposted @ The Library Mistress

Tell me how to talk about grief, death, and survival altogether and I'd give you one goddamn review. I mean, can anyone teach me how to deal with these three with a smile on my face? Or, better yet, a happy happy heart? No. Then brace yourselves for one melancholic take on this book.
"I didn't need six therapy sessions to tell me that I'll never be whole again."

Truth be told, there weren't actual tears involved while I was reading this book, but it left me wi
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it

3.5 Stars

There Will Come a Time…when the sorrow won’t swallow us whole. A time when the grief doesn’t completely overwhelm us. And even a time when we can move with feeling rather than out of habit. After the death of his twin sister, Grace, Mark cannot possibly imagine how his life and heart will ever be whole and healed again.

”Your twin will always be a part of you because she has always been a part of you.”

Grace and Mark Santos were twins, siblings, and friends. They shared everything. Laughs
Dianne
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Also posted at Oops! I Read A Book Again*

Thank you to Simon Pulse, Edelweiss and Book Nerd Tours for the review copy! This in no way affected my views of the novel.

Me reading this book is very timely with the #WeNeedDiverseBooks campaign as it features a Filipino main character. When I learned that that's the case, my interest for the book skyrocketed. It is very seldom to encounter Filipinos in literature, and a protagonist at that. Plus, it's a book dealing with grief and I love to cry myself
Daniella (Reading With Daniella)
Wow, this book was so powerful. There Will Come a Time really pulled at my heartstrings and gave me the feels. But in a wonderful way! It was a truly beautiful story of loss and learning that life goes on.

I adored the characters in this story. Mark was unlike any character I've ever read about before. First of all, I rarely read contemporaries from a boy's point of view, so that was a nice change. Also, he had an edge, even before the accident. I find that in most stories about losing people, th
Danielle (Love at First Page)
A special thanks to the girls over @ On the Same Page ARC Tours for lending me an ARC copy!

I don't want to be a pebble turning into sand, rubbed free of Grace. I want to keep her in my heart and hold her deep, where the waters cannot touch.

Don't let the page count fool you; this little book not only packs an emotional punch but paints a realistic and moving portrait of grief. Mark lost his twin sister, Grace, in a car accident, and he's feeling the full range of emotions: loss, anger, sadnes
Catherine Linka
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I start reading a book and I am awestruck by how the writer brings a character to life so vividly and completely. It's voice and character details and getting inside that character and knowing them from the inside out.

I savored this story, reading it slowly and enjoying the very real emotions it evoked. There's a scene near the end where two characters are coming down a hill and my heart was pounding, seeing the drama unfold.

Kimberly
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's another ARC I downloaded in 2014 and am just now getting around to reading! :)

Wow, I was really surprised by this one! It was a bit heavy for a vacation book, but I'm glad I read it. I really enjoyed all of the characters in this book. Everyone was very realistically drawn, and unique in their own little ways. Also, this book is effortlessly diverse. Mark lives in LA and goes to a special arts high school, so he is surrounded by talented people of all types. I kind of want to read a serie
Michelle Arrow
This review could also be found on A Thousand Lives Lived, check it out for more!

*3.5 star rating*

There Will Come a Time is rich, special and a story that develops itself on grief, loss and mental illness. It was pretty enjoyable compared to other stories of its kind, and I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Carrie Arcos throws readers a story that may be found in some sections of the bookstore, though it, at the same time, has its own nice flair to it that makes it extra special. For once, we h
Kazhy (My Library in the Making)
(View this review on My Library in the Making.)

Grief is something we all deal with in different ways: some lash out, some harm themselves, and then there are some like Mark who withdraw from the world. When he and his twin sister, Grace, get involved in a car accident that results to her death, Mark lets the loss take over his life, not knowing how to move on without her and wishing he was the one who'd died instead.

"I'm saying there will come a time when you won't be so angry or in so much pain
Andi (Andi's ABCs)

You get to the point in reading when you read one book about grief and death and you feel like you have read them all. I mean there isn't a whole lot that can be said that is different when talking about grief and loss. Sure people grieve differently and at their own pace, but when you put that grief in a book it can all start to blend. With that said I think There Will Come a Time is a different kind of grief book that stands on it's own and is memorable in its own right.

There Will Co
Isamlq
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-galley
There Will Come A Time…

OK... I am not quite sure why I get excited whenever I come across a protagonist whose upbringing (could/might) run parallel to mine, but I always do. (Perhaps it’s because rare is the moment when I come across a Filipino-anything in YA?) My excitement was only furthered by another parallel: he’s a fraternal twin! Because really, dude, was this book written for me?

Then reality/reason seeped through (or more likely, his story became clearer to me): outside those two thing
Racquel
Update: read it and sobbed like a baby.

I'M SO FUCKING EXCITED. THIS IS *THE* 2014 BOOK I WANT.

I really like the cover and Carrie said that it "has captured the emotional tone of the book." which is awesome because this cover Out of Reach by Carrie Arcos, also captures the tone of the book.

Did I mention that I'm excited?!?!?!?!?! Out of Reach is one of my favorite books. So I'm REALLY REALLY REALLLLLLYYYYYY EXCITED.

Whoa. All these excitement feels *takes deep breaths*
Kirsten Feldman
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I felt for Mark, but I never really felt for him. Does that make sense? Grief is hard. It gets better, a little, slowly. No one wants to hear it, but that's the truth.
Ella
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jaime Arkin

No matter who is getting up early to go to work, no matter what work is being done, no matter what fights people are having, no matter what happiness, or sorrow. Life keeps going.

Are you still a twin if you lose the person who is basically the other half of you?

That’s the question that Mark struggles with these days. Losing his twin sister, Grace, in a car accident has him filled with guilt and regret and second guesses, Mark has to go on with his life but he isn’t sure how he’s going t
Yhen Villas
Ahhhhhh, 5 stars. Good to see you again in my reads shelf.

I know that the moment I got my hands on this book I will love this. I was lazily scrolling on the recommendations tab here in Goodreads and strolling around my local bookstore for a fresh new read, then I have decided that reading one more story about star-crossed lovers, teenage issues, insecurities and those same old stuff will make my head explode. Fortunately, I stumbled upon this campaign called "#WeNeedDiverseBooks' and, would you
Hannah
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Carrie Arcos's debut Out of Reach was one of my favorite books of last year, so I was beyond excited for There Will Come a Time. And luckily, I wasn't disappointed! Carrie Arcos's writing is just as great in this one as in Out of Reach, and I loved everything about it!

I just love Carrie Arcos's writing style; it's what makes this novel work.The best word to describe her style, I think, would be addicting - I just couldn't stop reading. Her style flows really nicely, and I was immersed in the sto
Amanda
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read about the ups and downs of losing someone you love. The confusing and mixed feelings about loss and life. How you can forgive but still be mad as hell. How you're not sure if you should talk about the person who died, but love being able to.
I wasn't that fond of the overall story and didn't really feel anything between Hannah and Mark however. I mean I don't feel like this was suppose to be a story with a plot though. I also feel like the bucket list items lacked in feeling.
Piper (An Ocean of Words)
3.5

"I wonder if this is how Grace felt at the end. If there was a moment of peace right after she said my name and the car hit us. Right before she stopped breathing, did she have a brief moment when dying came as naturally as living?"

There Will Come A Time is definitely my favorite book I've read this year so far, Passenger aside. It is a brief contemporary that follows Mark Santos, a seventeen year old music prodigy as he suffers from the tragic loss of his twin sister, Grace.

I really loved t
Kassidy Berkenpas
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! This book had a great plot set-up. There were many different events that led up to the plot. Nothing was missing. The setting of this book takes place during the summer/winter time during Mark's senior year,in Los Angeles, California. I believe that this setting was perfect for the novel. Mark goes on wild adventures, so what's a better state than California? In this book, you will meet many characters, but Mark is the one telling the story. Mark has a hard time coping with th ...more
Joan Roll
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Mark Santos has/had a twin sister named Grace. Mark and Grace were in a car accident and Grace was killed while Mark who was driving survived. They were both looking forward to their senior year in high school but now Mark has to experience his senior year without Grace. Mark misses his twin sister and has not found a way to work through the grieving process. Grace’s best friend, Hanna, who is also their neighbor, finds a bucket list in one of Grace’s journals. Hanna convinces Mark that together ...more
jamie.
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a good quick read. It was just what I needed. I wanted a break from all the other “heavy” fantasy/dystopian stuff that I read, and this book did the job. The plot and characters kept me interested. That’s all I really have to say about this book; I’m satisfied.
Ryan Leonad
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It really takes you through the the life of a teen who lost his twin. The book can get somewhat emotional at times but it's not crying emotional.
Estelle
I can't believe I am 5 starring two books in less than a week.
Alexa Curtis
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5
Joanna
Nicely done. Very well written. Thank you, author Carrie Arcos.
Summer
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
“Their kindness kills me. It's not the sugary-sweet kind. It's genuine and motivated by love and there's no fighting it. Sometimes love can be more overwhelming than hate.”

Rating: 3.5 stars
I rarely read contemporary books, especially for this year. But somehow I came across There Will Come a Time when I was stumbling through the library for a book that can pull me out of my reading slump. I didn't expect it to be a book about deaths, loss, pain and forgiveness to pull me through but it did.

The
Bree
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There Will Come a Time was a book I received as a gift for my birthday. I hadn't heard of it or Carrie Arcos before, so I really didn't know what to expect. I loved the cover right off the bat I thought it was really beautiful. It has this stillness to it that just pulled me in. When I finally cracked this book open I was just engulfed in this sea of grief and pain. Any book that can make you feel something so deeply throughout your entire being is an author who is suppose to be writing. It actu ...more
Alyssa Canales
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“We try to explain how we feel, but there aren’t always the right words or the words we have fail.” Carrie Arcos really spoke to me when she wrote these words in her book ‘There will come a time’. Not only is this book a great representation of loss and learning, but the way it was written really made me feel like I was a part of it. A recommended read.
The vivid characters really gave a beautiful insight into the minds of those who feel grief. Being able to see Mark, the main character, grow f
Christie Gribschaw
  • The Summer of Letting Go
  • Learning Not to Drown
  • Call Me by My Name
  • Life by Committee
  • Nantucket Red (Nantucket, #2)
  • Road Rash
  • The Last Forever
  • Summer of Yesterday
Carrie Arcos is a National Book Award Finalist for Young People's Literature for OUT OF REACH; her fourth novel WE ARE ALL THAT'S LEFT will be available May 2018. She lives in Los Angeles with her family. For more information, check out her website: carriearcos.com
More about Carrie Arcos

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Tell The Wolves I'm Home
    $12.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
“Ghosts are just pieces of memory. They haunt us because we don't want to forget. We are the ghost makers. We take fragments of the dead and project them onto shadows and sounds, trying to make sense of loss by assigning it a new shape. Ghosts aren't real.” 18 likes
“We try to explain how we feel, but there aren’t always the right words or the words we have fail. But with music, you can hear a piece and say, Yeah, that’s it. That’s exactly how I feel. 11 likes