Start by marking “The Dolls (The Dolls, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dolls (The Dolls, #1)

The Dolls

(The Dolls #1)

Eveny Cheval just moved back to Louisiana after spending her childhood in New York with her aunt Bea. Eveny hasn’t seen her hometown since her mother’s suicide fourteen years ago, and her memories couldn’t have prepared her for what she encounters. Because pristine, perfectly manicured Carrefour has a dark side full of intrigue, betrayal, and lies—and Eveny quickly finds h ...more
Published September 2nd 2014 by Balzer + Bray

Start your review of The Dolls (The Dolls, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This is one of the most shallow, insipid YA paranormal books I have ever read. It is filled with descriptions of clothes, descriptions of beautiful, wealthy people, meaning-filled loving gazes, and not much more than that.

I might get more complexity from the pages of Cosmopolitan magazine.
He looks up as we pass, and for an instant, our eyes meet, and it feels like the world slows on its axis.
Most voodoo books I've read have been, well, doodoo. This book totally sucked, too, but here's the di
Faye, la Patata
Long story short: this book is awful.

I don't even know why I read it in the first place. I was searching through my books on my Kindle, bored out of my skull, when I decided to just fuck it and click a title randomly. I think the Fates hate me because it had to be this book. I've never been so frustrated and annoyed and wrathful as I have been with this novel. Throughout reading it, I couldn't help but stop every few pages to rage about something. I think the last time I went on such Hulk-like r
Ben Alderson
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 !
Super fun and interesting!
Really easy and quick to read and I loved the way the story grew!
Only down point was that I guessed a big part of the book!
but still loved it!
Aditi
“The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.”

----W.B. Yeats, an Irish poet and dramatist, and one of the foremost figures of 20th century literature

Kiki Sullivan, an American author, has penned a thrilling as well as an enchanting YA tale of magic, friendships, love and lots of herbs and sexy dolls, The Dolls which happens to be the first book in The Dolls series, where a group of friends with strange magical powers (harnessed from various weird kind
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Murder, Magic and Mayhem are the three words that I would use to describe The Dolls in a nutshell. I chose to read this for the Spookathon because it involved magic and also having borrowed from my library a while back, it definitely needed to be read soon. My thoughts on The Dolls overall are conflicting, the start was slow and some of the backstory long but when the second half of the story took off, it started to get more interesting.

The main character Eveny arrives in a small town from New Y
Lily ☁️
1 1/2 stars, because, despite its many flaws, it was mildly entertaining.

I wasn't planning on reading The Dolls next, but after too many young adult contemporary novels in a row I was in need for a bit of a change genre-wise, and found myself wanting to read something a bit darker and grittier, and a bit mysterious—and thus, I reached for this book.

Calling my decision a bad one would be an understatement, and I’m honestly still stunned that I even managed to finish this book, because it is fille
Sarah Churchill
This isn't out until March in the UK, so I don't want to give too much away, but I do need to give some general thoughts because I can see the ratings for this one are really varied.

Dolls is basically Mean Girls with magic. Shallow, privileged girls you love to hate (or just hate) who happen to be queens of their particular kind of magic. It's a bit a cheesy, a bit silly, but a whole lot of fun and I read it in two sittings.

I'm marking it down a little because I guessed the twists.

This is a b
Debbie Narh
I read a few chapters and that's enough for me!

But for those of you who may want more information, I'll make a list!

1. The main character is really boring. I know, I know I didn't give her a chance but holy crap, I could sense the Bella Swan in her right away.

2. The Dolls are fucking ridiculous. I couldn't get past them.

3. There's just so much high school crap that doesn't really have a lot to do with the story. It needs to be toned down.

I'm sure there's many more, especially from the reviews
AH
This book had a promising start, then it rapidly descended into a slog of a read.

A few days shy of her 17th birthday, Eveny Cheval is whisked away from her life in Brooklyn, NY and taken to the walled and gated town of Carrefour, Louisiana. The town is odd - those in the periphery live an impoverished life while those in the center of town live a life of luxury. Eveny is surprised to find out that she is the owner of a large mansion in the town.

Enter The Dolls. The Dolls are a vapid, materiali
Max Baker
I'm not going to lie. I knew EXACTLY what I was getting into with this book. Cliched heroine with disappearing parent syndrome. A stalker love interest with the personality of a toilet seat. Cardboard besties. Faux-voodoo. White-washed Louisiana. A none creepy Gothic setting. And bitches. Just swarms and swarms of straight up bitches. And I was OK with that. Really.

See, when I pre-ordered The Dolls I honestly did not care about Eveny Cheval or her psychodrama. I could dig to the very bottom of m
Lovetoread
Okay short & simple

The Dolls was a good read. I enjoyed the magic elements and the mystery. The author also did a really good job describing the setting. Very detailed , which made building the world in my head so much easier.

The characters were okay. I didn't like Peregrine obviously. Chloe wasn't that bad. And Eveny, idk, I have mixed feelings about her. She was strong one minute and the next she would let the dolls push her over. Kind of annoying tbh.
Also so disappointed in Drew.

I must s
Charlie
Okay so this was a really hard one to rate. It's not a great book, in fact there's a lot of things I really didn't like about it but despite that, I really really enjoyed reading it. It was a fun, mindless story and a very easy read. Even though it was super predictable, I couldn't wait to get to the end. So it gets 4 stars for sheer enjoyability.

So onto the things I didn't like:

1. This book was crazy predictable. a few pages in I realised these girls were essentially witches. It wasn't subtle
Gisbelle
description
My thanks to Balzer + Bray & Edelweiss

Actual Rating: 2.5

Point of View: Single (Eveny Cheval)
Writing Style: First Person | Present Tense
Setting: Louisiana
Genre: Young Adult | Paranormal/Magic

One word... Meh

So you might wonder what the heck are "the Dolls". Imagine a group of insanely beautiful, extremely rich, super popular, wickedly shallow people. Then add the ability to perform dark magic and communicate with spirits. Now you get the idea.

To be honest I liked this book a lot at the beginning
Abbie
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I don't know what to say. I thought this book was about a group of snotty rich girls who are mean to the new girl. But I was wrong. This is actually about shallow witches and murder. Not as exciting as it sounds. Plus, the romance was frustrating and I kind of guessed the bad guy early so...

But I found the MC charming, and she did gain insight into her identity and power, so that was good.

Unfortunately, this book is part of a series. I'm not sure if I will continue it but I would recommend it to
Meredith
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-releases
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

I've been dying to read The Dolls ever since I first saw it on Tea Time (Hosted by Epic Reads, A.K.A HarperTeen) during their Fall 2014 #ARCParty. The second Margot and Aubry began discussing it, I was major grabby hands! First of all, it has a GORGEOUS cover! Then, Margot described it as "Pretty Little Liars meets The Craft" and called it a "southern gothic boarding school cattiness" book. Sooo... Yeah, I was completely and totally hooked. I DESPERATELY wanted to get my
Bayram F
*an e-ARC of this book was given to me via Edelweiss in exchange for a fair and honest review*

The first time I laid eyes on The Dolls by Kiki Sullivan was during Epic Reads' #ARCParty last year when they were basically unwrapping and talking about the latest ARCs at that time. Not only did the cover look amazing but both Margot and Aubry's reactions to it made me want to read it desperately. As soon as the #ARCParty was over I went on Edelweiss and requested and soon after received and read it,
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
I was kind of iffy about this book at first. I was worried that this would just be a Mean Girls, only with voodoo. I did not love this book, but I actually ended up liking this book.

Eveny grew up in the small town of Carrefour, but moved to New York with her aunt when her mother committed suicide. Then, her aunt spontaneously decides to move back many years later. Carrefour is not the ordinary small town. The town is almost
Christy
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I’m usually not a huge reader of magic, voodoo or witches but when I saw this book and read the synopsis I knew that I had to give it a chance and I’m so glad that I did because it completely drew me in.

Eveny Cheval has just moved back to the small town of Carrefour, Louisiana with her Aunt Bea. Eveny hasn’t been back since her mother committed suicide fourteen years ago and she doesn’t remember much about the town. From the moment her Aunt has to pull out a key to gain access to the town, Eveny
Sarah Elizabeth
17-year-old Eveny is moving back to her home town of Carrefour with her aunt, but she’s about to find out that Carrefour is not a normal town at all.
What is going on in Carrefour? And are the suicides that are happening really suicides?

This was an okay story, but it was painful to get through.

Eveny was an okay character, although she did seem a bit slow at times. On
Rebecca
This book was an interesting read; a bit of a murder mystery with a YA paranormal twist. It was pretty good although clearly aimed for the mid YA age group whereas I am end of YA age group so I didn't relate to the characters all that well. But I still enjoyed it and found myself gripped, I will also stick with the series as I hope to see the characters grow up a little.

The main character is Eveny; a girl who lives with her grandmother after the death of her mother who moves back home to the to
Erin Dunn
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, wishlist
I'm done already! I read it in less than a day because I couldn't put the book down. I LOVED it! I can't wait for the second book!!!! The Dolls is just a FUN FUN FUN read. From the beginning of the book I was intrigued and desperate for answers to questions. Like, why do you have to have a key to get into the town? Ok, but what REALLY happened to her mother? What kind of magic are they using? I just had to keep reading! I do have to say though I guessed the bad guy VERY early into the book. I th ...more
Michelle Sedeño
Feb 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-dnf
I thought I won't be making a "2015 DNF" shelf here in Goodreads. But now, I just did.
I tried, really. Right from the first page I knew it wasn't for me. I made it until page 144 but I have to pause and pick another book. When I picked it up again just now, the follow-up event in one page decided that I should leave it. My goal to no-DNF for 2015 was now officially broken.

P.S I don't like the main character, the insta-love, pathetic "gorgeous" girls, and well, this book. Cliche all the way. Plus
Soumi
Not so good, not so bad. I've read similar stories before.
Emily Rabecca
This book was so much better than what I expected. The setting is what really drew me in, I love all books that take place in Louisiana and anything that has to do with magic.
Talina
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a fun, mysterious, read! Loved every moment of this! Full review to come!
Rayne
This is my first review this year. So, let's make it an angry one, shall we?

The Dolls is, without a doubt, one of the biggest wastes (of time, paper, money, etc.) I've read in my entire life. I'm trying to remember a more spectacularly insipid, preposterously vapid, profoundly shallow and endlessly frivolous novel and I simply can't. By the end of this self-imposed torture, I simply could not understand the why: why I have chosen to read this book or why had possessed me to pick it up and buy in
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: The Dolls started out a creepy, atmospheric read full of suspense. I loved the first half, but after that my interest dwindled and slowly faded.

Opening Sentence: When I open my eyes and blink into the milky morning sunlight, there’s no longer snow on the ground.

The Review:

Eveny just moved back into the town of her birth. But there are strange things going on, keys to the town that one needs to get inside, it’s off the radar way, the always clima
Grace
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, young-adult
This book is a bit of a mess. There is sooo much wrong with it but like a lot of trashy books it's kind of addictive to read! One of the most annoying parts for me though was that literally instantly I guessed who the undercover solider was, it was so obvious! I don't know if I will read the rest in the series but who knows.
Kandes
Please don't judge this book based on the cover! While I personally love the cover, it also is sorta cheesy and makes it seem like this book is more of a guilty pleasure read rather than something with substance. I absolutely loved it! I was flying though it faster than I thought I would. I loved Eveny and Caleb, they are absolutely adorable!!! Peregrine and Drew were not likeable whatsoever, but Peregrine grew on me after awhile. I definitely agree with the description that it is a mashup of PL ...more
Kirsti
Jun 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
Urgh. This was right up there with my most hated YA titles, books that made me feel physically ill like Twilight and Beautiful Creatures. Books that make even a seasoned book lover feel like throwing them in a fire when finished (I won't by the way, I'll either donate it to the Op Shop or sell it on the book buy swap and sell) This review will definitely have spoilers, so read on at your own risk!

Still. Really? I'd read reviews but once again because of the different cover I didn't immediately t
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Dolls Read-a-...: Whos excited? 44 148 Mar 24, 2015 05:49PM

• Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1)
  • The Truth Beneath the Lies
  • Freeks
  • The Rules
  • Conjured
  • The Truth about Heartbreak
  • Lovesong (Green Creek #2.5)
  • Legacy of the Clockwork Key (The Secret Order, #1)
  • My Sister Jodie
  • Shards and Ashes
  • Opal Plumstead
  • When Sinners Play (Sinners of Hawthorne University, #1)
  • No Good Deed
  • Undertow (Undertow #1)
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • Fates (Fates, #1)
  • And the Trees Crept In
  • Best Kind of Broken (Finding Fate, #1)
Kiki Sullivan is the author of The Dolls series. Like the main character Eveny Cheval, Kiki used to live in New York and now calls the American South home. Unlike Eveny, she finds it impossible to keep her rose garden alive and has been singlehandedly responsible for the unfortunate demise of countless herbs. She may or may not have hung out with queens of the dark arts, strolled through creepy Ne ...more

The Dolls (2 books)
  • Midnight Dolls (The Dolls, #2)