Start by marking “Warm Up (Villains, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Warm Up  (Villains, #0.5)

Warm Up

(Villains #0.5)

It’s been 297 days since David died–and came back.

He may have survived the avalanche, but the aftermath has been far worse. His wife moved out, taking his son with her, and a devastated David hasn’t left his house since, terrified of the mysterious new power that followed him home from the ill-fated expedition.

After months in seclusion, David’s ready for a fresh start, and
Published August 20th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Warm Up, please sign up.
Brian If you read it before or during the first half of Vicious (like I did), it adds to the story of Vicious. After, I would think that the reverse would h…moreIf you read it before or during the first half of Vicious (like I did), it adds to the story of Vicious. After, I would think that the reverse would happen. Definitely intended as a prequel, though.(less)

Start your review of Warm Up (Villains, #0.5)
Victoria Schwab
Aug 20, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this in an Edinburgh coffee shop called Spoon, sitting across from Rachel Hawkins. And I'm quite fond of it. I will give you a hint, though: the man who shows up at the end is one of the main characters in VICIOUS. ...more
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
... And to think that some authors need +500 pages to create an atmosphere and characters we care about.
MischaS_
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to MischaS_ by: lucie
Several years ago I read a book by this author, and I was not a fan, so I never intended to read anything else from her.

And then, I kept seeing updates and reviews for the Villains series. It seemed like something I would very much like. But I was not sure. I kept thinking about that book I did not like. And with every new review from my friends, I kept thinking that maybe it was just the book and I should give her another chance. That I'm all in for not exactly good or positive characters. And
Petrik
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5/5 Stars

Warm Up is a prequel novella to V.E Schwab's "Vicious". After finishing Vicious, I go straight into reading this and I find it quite interesting to read. It shows the perspective through the eye of David, one of the victim to one of the main character in Vicious, (view spoiler). There's nothing else to talk about this novella since it's only 15 pages long and it will took you probably 10-15 minutes to finish but if you love Vicious, I really suggest you read it. It
Lara
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: novellas
It feels embarrassing to add a 15-page novella for my challenge since I read books with 800+ pages I guess we're even xd ...more
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I could have sworn I already wrote a review for this.
Guess it fell victim to another one of goodreads glitches. >_<

This said: I love V.E. Schwab's writing style. <3
"Warm Up" is just a short story yet it still managed to capture my interest.
The atmosphere, how David is portrayed. You get an instant feel for his character and you want him to succeed. You want him to go out and to see the world again. To be a part of it.
You pull for his character and then... well we all know what happens to EO's
Warda
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bloody hell, I didn’t realise how much I missed Schwab’s writing and world.
This short story had me completely hooked.
Time to reread Vicious and finally get to Vengeful!
Riley
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was excellent. I don't necessarily think it adds anything to the story, but if you enjoyed Vicious then this is a nice addition. I am planning on rereading Vicious soon so this helped me want to do that sooner!! ...more
Kai
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Have all my love. And more.

Again, Schwab wrote exactly what I wanted, without me even knowing that I wanted it in the first place.

I just got the feeling that I really need to reread Vicious. And I also a really need the movie adaptation. And the ADSOM TV-show. And more Victoria Schwab books. Soon. Now.

Find more of my books on Instagram
Melanie
You can read this short story for free on Tor.com.

I knew from the beginning of this short story that I would love this world. The author's writing completely captivated me, while I was being immersed in this unique and complex world. I've been on the fence about reading Vicious forever, but this completely sold me.

This is about a man that is rescued from a tragic ice climbing trip, which the rest of his crew did not survive. He narrowly escapes his death, but now has a side effect; He emits heat
lucie
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-english, 2018
Please, more short stories about random EOs!
Lauren Lanz
Apr 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, adult
For such a short novella, it’s amazing how much V.E. Schwab was able to do.

I felt for David within a few pages; his backstory was told wonderfully and in brief time. Although it may not relate directly to the rest of the Villains series, I think this was a good introduction to ExtraOrdinaries and their powers.

Also, I loved the appearance of a certain someone we’ve seen much of in the rest of the series! >.>
Norah Una Sumner

You can read this story here.
An interesting story. I seriously need to read a V.E. Schwab book as soon as possible. I really enjoyed reading this and I'm probably going to read her A Darker Shade of Magic as soon as the third book in the series comes out. Guess who likes to spoil themselves if the ending is good? This girl.
Beenish
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Omg!! Too good!
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature.

I read V.E. Schwab’s Vicious, a dark fantasy about superpowered antagonists, a couple of weeks ago, and found out that she published a Tor short story set in the same universe at about the time Vicious came out. “Warm Up” follows a day in the life of David, an EO (Extra-Ordinary; i.e., a superpowered person), who’s had a rough time with life since he was resuscitated from clinical death, after being caught in an avalanche while mountain climbing.
Lucy Tonks
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I decided to pick this novella up on a whim. I love the world of Villains and I love both books a lot. Vicious and Vengeful are my favourite books from V.E. Schwab. I love her works, but Villains for some reason is my favourite. This was a really great story, I loved being back in this world, and even though we don't really follow any of the characters that we know from the books, it still felt like coming back home for me.

A better review may come in the future, that is not written by a sleep d
Stacee
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
Okay, this was amazing and didn't go the way I expected it to. I definitely need to read Vicious again because I have missed that world.

For anyone who wants to read this story, you can find it here.
rin
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shortie, eng, 2017
how does schwab do it

this 15 pages are more intense than some books

ihateelisomuchwhydoeshehavetoexist
bookellenic
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this little addition to the world of Vicious, and I would suggest reading it after reading the book, the way I did. I understand that one might want to try out the writing style and this world before picking up the book, so Warm Up can be a good introduction; however, I think that it could potentially lessen the blow of a really important plot point of Vicious.

I also really want to underline that if you're going into this story expecting impeccable character development and plotl
Sara
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This didn't add very much to the plot but it was nice to read something else from this universe.
Not bad, very short though!
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
representation: anxiety and agoraphobia.

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

This was honestly pointless and didn't add anything to the original story at all in my opinion :/

trigger warnings: anxiety, agoraphobia, alcohol, murder.
Katerina  Kondrenko
7 out of 10

ревью на русском/review in russian

I didn't know that I had to read this short-story before Vicious, it could help to understand a few things sooner than I did while reading the main book, but I could be spoiled on a few things too (view spoiler). So it's ok if you like me would read this bonus after Vicious.

In this story, we see a man whose life had changed. He nearly died and got a power: now he can warm up
Vanessa J.
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Incredibly atmospheric and well written. I think this should be read before reading Vicious. I'm 25% done with it, but ehhh, it still doesn't count as read, does it? And that ending tho... I'm glad Vicious is already published.

Superpowers + death themes + mystery = Vane like.
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
description

1- Vicious ★★★★★
2- Vengeful

“Some people forget, he thought. A bad thing happens to them and their mind sweeps in and buries the bad thing deep, and all that’s left is a stretch of white in their heads, like fresh snow. Looking at it—at them—you wouldn't even know anything was trapped beneath

I’m planning on reading Vicious and Vengeful this year (hopefully) and I though I might as well read this short story before starting. It didn't exactly give anything away but I assume I’ll know more whe
Alison♊⚜️✨
I don't really know what to rate it, so I'm just gonna give it 3 stars...

Huh, not going to write much because the novella is 15 pages, but I guess it was a useful intro into the world (though not vital to read before reading Vicious) and the ending was Eli continuing (or starting) his killing spree of those who have powers, which then continues into Vicious...
Ikram
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this for everyone who has enjoyed Vicious. It's very short and entertaining. ...more
Cande ♡
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I love this world and V.E Schwab's writing ♥ ...more
Katie
Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wooo very short and very good. Schwab doesn't mess around. I can't believe I waited so long to read this series. ...more
TL
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A short but interesting novella... I have heard of V.E. Schwab before but only just now got around to ordering the first book. Saw this little story pop up on my feed and figured I'd give it a shot.

Knowing not much about the world the story in set in... I thought I'd be confused at first but it was very easy to follow the story. It starts off slow, introducing you to David:

"He wasn't quite sure when he made it, somewhere between turning on the shower and stepping in, perhaps, or pouring the milk
Elle (ellexamines)
Read it here. Warm Up is an interesting short story, but it's unfortunately not incredibly noteworthy. Backstory for one more EO is fun and interesting, but this story was too short to offer anything revolutionary. It's still a decent story and I recommend giving it a try if you liked Vicious, especially since it's free and short, but it's not a must-read. ...more
Apocalypse Whenever: READ WITH ME (free short story): Warm Up by V.E. Schwab 26 53 Apr 24, 2014 08:01PM

• Bridge of Souls (Cassidy Blake, #3)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • The Demon in the Wood (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #0.1)
  • The Lives of Saints (Grishaverse)
  • The Tailor (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1.5)
  • The Drowning Faith (The Poppy War, #2.5)
  • The Whispering Room
  • Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2)
  • Juice Like Wounds (Wayward Children, #4.5)
  • Leave the Window Open (The Archived, #2.5)
  • Memento (The Illuminae Files, #0.5)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
  • The Maiden Thief
  • The Witch of Duva (Grishaverse, #0.5)
V.E. Schwab is the name Victoria Schwab publishes her adult books under.

Victoria has stated that books published under V.E. Schwab are adult releases and those under Victoria Schwab are YA.

Villains (3 books)
  • Vicious (Villains, #1)
  • Vengeful (Villains, #2)
  • Untitled (Villains, #3)