Start by marking “Warm Up (Villains, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Warm Up  (Villains, #0.5)

Warm Up

(Villains 0.5)

It’s been 297 days since David died–and came back.

He may have survived the avalanche, but the aftermath has been far worse. His wife moved out, taking his son with her, and a devastated David hasn’t left his house since, terrified of the mysterious new power that followed him home from the ill-fated expedition.

After months in seclusion, David’s ready for a fresh start, and
Published August 20th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Warm Up, please sign up.
Brian If you read it before or during the first half of Vicious (like I did), it adds to the story of Vicious. After, I would think that the reverse would…moreIf you read it before or during the first half of Vicious (like I did), it adds to the story of Vicious. After, I would think that the reverse would happen. Definitely intended as a prequel, though.(less)

Victoria Schwab
Aug 20, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this in an Edinburgh coffee shop called Spoon, sitting across from Rachel Hawkins. And I'm quite fond of it. I will give you a hint, though: the man who shows up at the end is one of the main characters in VICIOUS.
MischaS_
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to MischaS_ by: lucie
Several years ago I read a book by this author, and I was not a fan, so I never intended to read anything else from her.

And then, I kept seeing updates and reviews for the Villains series. It seemed like something I would very much like. But I was not sure. I kept thinking about that book I did not like. And with every new review from my friends, I kept thinking that maybe it was just the book and I should give her another chance. That I'm all in for not exactly good or positive characters. And
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
... And to think that some authors need +500 pages to create an atmosphere and characters we care about.
Petrik
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5/5 Stars

Warm Up is a prequel novella to V.E Schwab's "Vicious". After finishing Vicious, I go straight into reading this and I find it quite interesting to read. It shows the perspective through the eye of David, one of the victim to one of the main character in Vicious, (view spoiler). There's nothing else to talk about this novella since it's only 15 pages long and it will took you probably 10-15 minutes to finish but if you love Vicious, I really suggest you read it. It
Lara
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: novellas
It feels embarrassing to add a 15-page novella for my challenge since I read books with 800+ pages I guess we're even xd
Riley
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was excellent. I don't necessarily think it adds anything to the story, but if you enjoyed Vicious then this is a nice addition. I am planning on rereading Vicious soon so this helped me want to do that sooner!!
Kai
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, 2016
Have all my love. And more.

Again, Schwab wrote exactly what I wanted, without me even knowing that I wanted it in the first place.

I just got the feeling that I really need to reread Vicious. And I also a really need the movie adaptation. And the ADSOM TV-show. And more Victoria Schwab books. Soon. Now.

Find more of my books on Instagram
Melanie
You can read this short story for free on Tor.com.

I knew from the beginning of this short story that I would love this world. The author's writing completely captivated me, while I was being immersed in this unique and complex world. I've been on the fence about reading Vicious forever, but this completely sold me.

This is about a man that is rescued from a tragic ice climbing trip, which the rest of his crew did not survive. He narrowly escapes his death, but now has a side effect; He emits heat
lucie
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-english, 2018
Please, more short stories about random EOs!
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature.

I read V.E. Schwab’s Vicious, a dark fantasy about superpowered antagonists, a couple of weeks ago, and found out that she published a Tor short story set in the same universe at about the time Vicious came out. “Warm Up” follows a day in the life of David, an EO (Extra-Ordinary; i.e., a superpowered person), who’s had a rough time with life since he was resuscitated from clinical death, after being caught in an avalanche while mountain climbing.
Norah Una Sumner

You can read this story here.
An interesting story. I seriously need to read a V.E. Schwab book as soon as possible. I really enjoyed reading this and I'm probably going to read her A Darker Shade of Magic as soon as the third book in the series comes out. Guess who likes to spoil themselves if the ending is good? This girl.
rin 눈_눈 WATCH GOOD OMENS
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shortie, 2017, eng
how does schwab do it

this 15 pages are more intense than some books

ihateelisomuchwhydoeshehavetoexist
Sara
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This didn't add very much to the plot but it was nice to read something else from this universe.
Not bad, very short though!
Katerina Kondrenko
7 out of 10

ревью на русском/review in russian

I didn't know that I had to read this short-story before Vicious, it could help to understand a few things sooner that I did while reading the main book, but I could be spoiled on a few things too (view spoiler). So it's ok, if you like me would read this bonus after Vicious.

In this story we see a man whose life had changed. He nearly died and got a power: now he can warm up eve
Helena of Sparta ✰ (on semi-hiatus)
Even for a novella, that was really short...and not how I expected it to end! I guess David shan’t be making an appearance in Vicious then. I’m definitely fascinated by supernatural abilities and I can’t wait to see the ones that we’ll come across in the future. In regards to the novella itself though, it was rather short and sweet, but it also felt disconnected and unnecessary.
Vanessa J.
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Incredibly atmospheric and well written. I think this should be read before reading Vicious. I'm 25% done with it, but ehhh, it still doesn't count as read, does it? And that ending tho... I'm glad Vicious is already published.

Superpowers + death themes + mystery = Vane like.
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
description

1- Vicious ★★★★★
2- Vengeful

“Some people forget, he thought. A bad thing happens to them and their mind sweeps in and buries the bad thing deep, and all that’s left is a stretch of white in their heads, like fresh snow. Looking at it—at them—you wouldn't even know anything was trapped beneath

I’m planning on reading Vicious and Vengeful this year (hopefully) and I though I might as well read this short story before starting. It didn't exactly give anything away but I assume I’ll know more when
Alison♊⚜️✨ (on semi-hiatus but trying not to be)
I don't really know what to rate it, so I'm just gonna give it 3 stars...

Huh, not going to write much because the novella is 15 pages, but I guess it was a useful intro into the world (though not vital to read before reading Vicious) and the ending was Eli continuing (or starting) his killing spree of those who have powers, which then continues into Vicious...
bookellenic
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this little addition to the world of Vicious, and I would suggest reading it after reading the book, the way I did. I understand that one might want to try out the writing style and this world before picking up the book, so Warm Up can be a good introduction; however, I think that it could potentially lessen the blow of a really important plot point of Vicious.

I also really want to underline that if you're going into this story expecting impeccable character development and plotl
TL
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A short but interesting novella... I have heard of V.E. Schwab before but only just now got around to ordering the first book. Saw this little story pop up on my feed and figured I'd give it a shot.

Knowing not much about the world the story in set in... I thought I'd be confused at first but it was very easy to follow the story. It starts off slow, introducing you to David:

"He wasn't quite sure when he made it, somewhere between turning on the shower and stepping in, perhaps, or pouring the milk
Cande ♥
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I love this world and V.E Schwab's writing ♥
Kimi
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this for everyone who has enjoyed Vicious. It's very short and entertaining.
1st read - February 2015
2nd read - October 2018

It's been 297 days since David died and came back to life, 294 days since his wife left him and 293 days since he left his house thanks to the scary new ability his near death experience seems to have given him.

Warm Up is a short story set in the same world as V.E. Schwab's that can be read for free on the Tor website. It's a great little intro to a dark world where some people have superhero type powers and have to learn how to control them. One of
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Read it here. Warm Up is an interesting short story, but it's unfortunately not incredibly noteworthy. Backstory for one more EO is fun and interesting, but this story was too short to offer anything revolutionary. It's still a decent story and I recommend giving it a try if you liked Vicious, especially since it's free and short, but it's not a must-read.
Ashley Daviau
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
After reading the first book in the series and falling absolutely in love, I’ll gladly devour anything to do with the incredibly dark and badass world that Schwab has created, including this story! She truly is a master at all forms of writing, from short stories to middle grade and everything in between. This story is an excellent little addition to a series that has rocketed to the top of my favourites list.
Fatima  Havilliard
4.5 Stars.

This was a good way to be introduced to the world of Vicious. I don't know if it would be better to read this after Vicious because tbh I'm like: What the hell happened? For example.

The main character in this novela is called David Lane and as I know the main character in Vicious is called Victor Lane...

description--------------------------

I was wrong!! The main character is called Victor Vale, not Lane... Hehe. Sorry for the mistake.
Azrah
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, short-stories
Some people forget, he thought. A bad thing happens to them and their mind sweeps in and buries the bad thing deep, and all that’s left is a stretch of white in their heads, like fresh snow. Looking at it—at them—you wouldn’t even know anything was trapped beneath.

A short story about an EO's struggles. And then frikkin' Eli comes along. ugh
_________________

Pre-read Rambles
Short read before I snuggle up with Vengeful.
Yvonne (bookishpanda)
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I guess this is a good start? Like, I'm REALLY intrigued now and definitely want to know more about this world and this weird man at the end ... what's going on?! I'm starting Vicious right now - SO EXCITED! :D
helena
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
so utterly schwab. i think, at this point, i can recognize her writing even if there is no signature.

ps: this novella very hardly is #0.5. i mean, i get it. but looking at this number, it makes us think it happens before vicious and... it doesn’t. details.
Valentina
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't really get the point of this short story, but it will do while I wait to read Vengeful.
Apocalypse Whenever: READ WITH ME (free short story): Warm Up by V.E. Schwab 26 53 Apr 24, 2014 08:01PM

• Leave the Window Open (The Archived, #2.5)
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • A Kiss With Teeth
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • Other Worlds
  • A Cup of Salt Tears
  • Men Who Wish to Drown
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Glowing Knight (The Orphan Queen, #0.2)
  • The Last Stormdancer (The Lotus Wars, #0.6)
  • Mrs. Sorensen and the Sasquatch
  • King of Marbury (The Marbury Lens #1.5)
  • Brimstone and Marmalade
  • Among the Thorns
  • Proxy (Avalon, #0.5)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • Wakulla Springs
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #1.5)
V.E. Schwab is a pseudonym of Victoria Schwab.

Victoria has stated that books published under V.E. Schwab are adult releases and those under Victoria Schwab are YA.

Villains (3 books)
  • Vicious (Villains, #1)
  • Vengeful (Villains, #2)
  • Untitled (Villains #3)
Some people forget, he thought. A bad thing happens to them and their mind sweeps in and buries the bad thing deep, and all that’s left is a stretch of white in their heads, like fresh snow. Looking at it—at them—you wouldn't even know anything was trapped beneath.

Some people forget, but David remembered everything.”
10 likes
“That's how he saw climbing, a physical exercise in positive and negative space. The vast expanse of white drawing the small, person-shaped speck into sharp relief.” 2 likes