Start by marking “Final Crisis (New Edition)” as Want to Read:
Final Crisis (New Edition)

Final Crisis

(Final Crisis #1-7)

What happens when evil wins? That's the question Superman, Batman, the Justice League and every being in the DCU have to face when Darkseid and his otherworldly legion of narcissistic followers actually win the war between light and dark. Featuring the deaths and resurrections of major DC characters, FINAL CRISIS is more than your average multi-part event-it's a ...more
Published April 22nd 2014 by DC Comics (first published June 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Final Crisis, please sign up.
Zetta Kappa Yeah, half the people that read it are still wondering. That's why I'm just going to correct you, it's not a great book, it's pretentious shit.

Start your review of Final Crisis (New Edition)
Anne
I feel like my giving this thing 3 stars is pretty generous. Then again, maybe I'm just not a big enough DC fan to understand everything that was going on.
Warning: Spoilers

description

I was pretty surprised when they killed off Batman. Well, not surprised that they killed him because that's one of the main reasons I read Final Crisis. No, I was surprised that his death didn't get any real time on the page. Honestly, I kinda thought that I missed it because it happened so fast.

description

Imagine you're in a car
Alejandro
Another crisis and not matter its title, hardly it will the final one.

I bought this in its single comic book issues, but I chosen this TPB edition to make a better overall review.

This TPB collects "Final Crisis" #1-7.

Creative Team:

Writer: Grant Morrison

Illustrators: J.G. Jones, Carlos Pacheco, Marco Rudy & Doug Mahnke

ANYONE BELIEVE THAT THIS IS THE FINAL ONE?

I have to say that the beginning of the story was promising, where Orion, of the New Gods, is found dead and soon enough a Green
Sam Quixote
Final Crisis is essentially a celebration of Jack Kirbys contributions to the DCU couched in an end of the world Crisis event book between good (led by Superman) and evil, as Darkseid returns. His various minions are preparing Earth for his arrival in an attempt to curry his favour. A villain called Libra is trying to unite all the supervillains together against the superheroes, the Anti-Life equation is brainwashing everyone it comes across to Darkseids way of thinking, and the Green Lantern ...more
Shannon
This best selling graphic novel miniseries led to dozens of tie ins but was confusing to people who had not followed DC closely or were not willing to do the proper research. As a result you get people who say Morrison is a genius and others who say it was a load of confusion.

The tale opens with the archvillain Darkseid planning his usual domination and the JLA trying to stop him. It opens with the alarming death of a New God and an investigation that branches out into several other areas. What
mark monday
Jun 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comicon
grant morrison: super-hero or super-villain? you be the judge!

on the one hand, Final Crisis is an amazing achievement. it sure seems like dc just handed the reins to morrison and told him You Go And Do What You Do, We Don't Give A Flying Fuckeroo. they wanted to 'end' things with a bang and then press re-set. so he went for it. this is one of the most dense, layered, kaleidoscopic graphic novels i've ever read. the sheer amount of information being conveyed, page by page, is staggering and
John Wiswell
Mar 01, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Batman is at risk, no I mean the planet is at risk, no I mean the universe is at risk, no I mean all 52 existing universes are at risk, no I mean all time is at risk oh screw it, its not like anyone cares. This is a trainwreck of a crossover story where characters are introduced and dropped, things happen without consequence and in the end everything is literally wished away. This is an utter failure on a narrative level, and any charms its experiments had are worn out long before you meet ...more
Sud666
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Final Crisis is typical Grant Morrison. It is big, it is epic, it is slightly confusing and it is different.

Perhaps I am being overly generous with my three stars, since some of the crossover aspect of this story renders it in the 2 star range. But I enjoyed the rather vast premise- who shot and killed a God? With what kind of bullet?

This is the start of the story and it's all over the place. Darkseid is dead but can you really kill a god? Well..except..Orion who IS dead..but anyways..Darkseid
Jesse A
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I hate it when I have to say this but this one was much too Morrison-y for my taste. So busy and convoluted and did I say busy?. Disappointed to say the least.
Artemy
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, 5-stars, dc
What an incredible, incredible book. This has got to be the raddest, most ambitious and epic event comic book ever made. Final Crisis is EVERYTHING DC universe has to offer and then some, because Grant Morrison is an insane genius whose mind works unlike anybody else's.

Final Crisis ties together so much stuff Morrison's own decades of DC work like Animal Man, JLA, Batman, Flash, Superman, Seven Soldiers, Multiversity (yes, it even ties together his stuff that came out years AFTER the Final
Matt
Jun 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In homage to Mark Twain's epic critical assassination of James Fenimore Cooper's "The Deerslayer," I present Grant Morrison's Literary Offenses.

There are eleven rules governing literary art in the domain of romantic fiction. In "Final Crisis," Morrison violated eighteen of them. These require:

1. That a tale shall accomplish something and arrive somewhere. But the "Final Crisis" tale accomplishes nothing and arrives in air.

(I can't tell what if any changes affected Earth, space, time or the
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
Grant Morrison is a man of infinite ideas. Every time I crack open one of his story arcs, I always find myself in front of something unexpected, fresh and unrestrained. Everything he brings to life is of epic proportions and nothing will stop him from green lighting everything his mind conjures. An inter-dimensional war? I got you. Collapse of the multiverse? I got you. Heroes that most people are likely to never have heard of? I got you.

Final Crisis is a story that jumps from one POV to another
Donovan

"Increase production! Work! Consume! Die! Judge others! Condemn the different! Exploit the weak!"

On my second read through I still don't fully understand what happens. Morrison bulldozes the fourth wall and drags the reader kicking and screaming. It's by far his least accessible and most syncopated story, jumping between scenes, settings, characters, and especially through time. While I generally enjoyed it, this is one of the most cryptic stories I've ever read.

Oh great, he mentioned the
Mike
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Found the first few pages waaaaay too abstract to bother reading the rest. However it keeps coming back at me, and after realizing it was the linchpin between Batman RIP and Batman Reborn, I finally gave in.

This book feels like it's all over the place - intentionally. That's good for the DC geeks who know every minor character or sub-plot that gets a cameo here, but holy hell is it uninteresting to a DC amateur like me.

And frankly the hardest part of reading this book was trying to find and
Lloyd
I'd heard many, many talks, interviews, debates, etc. about "Final Crisis" before I'd read it.

I've heard somewhere that it split all of comic book fandom in half.

On one side there were those (who were presumably not fans of Morrison) saying, "This is crap! It's not fair! He's out of his mind and on drugs and he just writes down whatever craziness comes into his head and AAAARRRRRGGGGHHH!"

On the other there were those who said it was pure genius.

This almost made me afraid to read it. I only did
BAYA Librarian
Here's the basics:
Final Crisis was last year's massive DC Comics crossover event in which every DC character of note (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, etc.) was pulled into an apocalyptic battle against Darkseid.
It was written by Grant Morrison, a major figure on the comic book landscape for more than a decade who is known for his wild, reality-bending plots and encyclopedic knowledge of superhero history.
Batman dies. For real. (Well, we see him get hit by some super-bullet,
Brad
Nov 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, dc
It's fitting that two tie-ins to this massive, profitable event comic are called "Submit" and "Resist"--this book is either inviting an obsessive, detailed reading or a cold, scrambled mess. If you put in the effort, by pouring over the panels or reading Final Crisis Annotations or other guides, it's a dense but engaging and funny metacommentary on the potential for superhero comics. It sucks you in if you submit. On the other hand, if you want a consume-in-one-sitting pop comic, it's easy to ...more
Ryan Stewart
I typically love Grant Morrison, including the majority of his mostly magnificent run on the various Batbooks. By and large, I hated this. I tried to care, I tried to delve into the mind of Morrison, I put in the research to understand all of the subtle nods and overarching themes Morrison pulled from 70-plus years of DC comics. Instead I was mostly bored, confused and waiting for it to end. It was so epic and multiverse-shattering in scope, it never allowed itself a chance to make sense or ...more
Kenny
Final Crisis is a frustrating, flawed and ultimately brilliant work. I dont think I could write anything that would add to what has already been said by its fans and detractors other than regardless of your feelings this should be read by comic book fans again and again.

Aildiin
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This one went mostly way over my head the first time I read it.
However I just re-read it after reading all the Morrison JLA stories and I am starting to grasp some things.
It's still some of the craziest work of Morrison but among the crazy stuff there are some gems.( the monitor stuff is still way over the top in my opinion).
Sans
Fucktangular is about the only word I have for this. Everything else is just incoherent screaming.
David Dalton
Not my cup of tea. I had to force myself to finish reading this. Too long maybe? Too many characters? Concept sounded cool, but execution was too confusing. Just too much.
Sesana
If I was going to rate Final Crisis on the ideas and the ambition that Morrison brought to the table, this would be a four star book, at least. If I was going to rate it solely on the writing and execution of those ideas... Well, more like a two star book.

Morrison is like this, and I think we all know it by now: brilliant, mad ideas but executed in a way that can just be confusing. I like to think that if Morrison had been given 9 or 12 issues to tell his story, instead of just 7, it would have
Jedi JC Daquis
Final Crisis is a grand and multi-layered DC comics crossover event that only a few can pull off, like Grant Morrison. The story is teeming with DC comics history that almost makes it an inaccessible read for many, not to mention the Morrison-style of weirdness and craziness much like his other works such as The Filth and Batman R.I.P. That mind-trip slightly hampered the entertainment and I have to back-read often in Final Crisis to understand what is happening.
Derek
Wow. This was quite impressive, a little high-brow, a little complex, a little high concept, but that is exactly why you pick up a Grant Morrison. The only downside for me was the cameo appearance made by Batman... Oh, and the laaaarge cast. It made it hard to track all of them at once, but the beauty of this comic was the action kept moving, the stakes kept rising and rising. Bravo! An absolute gem.
Christopher
Final Crisis collects a bunch of interesting ideas and tells them in the most confusing way possible, with a constant barrage of people yelling "Anti-life! Anti-life!" which may be the dumbest name for what the bad guys are implementing in the history of comics.

Ok, probably not. But it's a really bad name.
James DeSantis
Apr 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why do I do this to myself? Fucking dumb as hell. I just...I don't even have words. Fucking fuck Morrison...how many drugs do you take?
Arturo
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read it again to see if I can follow the story this time around, and it's still one hell of a mess.

Imagine first how hard it was to follow when it was coming out monthly. Legion of 3 worlds ended after Final Crisis 7 came out but it happened before the event and had nothing to do with it. Superman Beyond turns out was actually important because it had to do with FC #7. Revelations had nothing to do with the event. Thankfully Geoff Johns wrote Rogues Revenge and Rage of the Red
Aaron Reisberg
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
If I were to add fire to the flames of internet rumors, I'd say this saga suffered from too much editorial interference. But I don't have too much concrete evidence to back that up.

That said, I'm probably one of one people I know who loved this story (at least the story concept). Yes, there are five trillion DC comics heroes and villains running all over the place (although far fewer than other authors' attempts at "Crisis" books). And yes, reading other DC books by Grant Morrison can help this
Anthony
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this 6 years ago when Id read very little DC, so I didnt get much enjoyment from it.

Returning to it now, after reading a bit more DC (though not much New Gods stuff) I liked it a lot more. There are some bits that are pretty hard to follow, and I can see why it splits fan opinions so much. But I love the whole scale of it and how it does feel like a BIG STORY. And though Darkseid isnt actually in it that much, his presence is very much felt throughout the whole thing and its a cool
RG
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What the hell was this!! So utterly weird wacky and bonkers. I honestly dont know what was happening most of the time. Morrison was way too crazy for me in this one.
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 9788416409709 2 22 May 25, 2015 01:53AM
Mrs. Eriksson's S...: Final Crisis 1 5 Jul 28, 2014 02:30PM
micron associates latest news reviews: Ausweichen Der Krise 1 5 Jun 12, 2013 07:43PM

• Infinite Crisis
  • Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge
  • 52, Vol. 1
  • 52, Vol. 4
  • Dark Nights: Metal
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more

Final Crisis (7 books)