Start by marking “The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)

The Way of Kings

(The Stormlight Archive #1)

4.65  ·  Rating details ·  249,631 ratings  ·  16,518 reviews
I long for the days before the Last Desolation.

The age before the Heralds abandoned us and the Knights Radiant turned against us. A time when there was still magic in the world and honor in the hearts of men.

The world became ours, and yet we lost it. Victory proved to be the greatest test of all. Or was that victory illusory? Did our enemies come to
Published March 4th 2014 by Tor Books (first published August 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of Kings, please sign up.
Sonja (aka Yashima) Sanderson is one of the most productive writers I know. According to him this is going to be a 10 book series and a book will be published every other…moreSanderson is one of the most productive writers I know. According to him this is going to be a 10 book series and a book will be published every other year. I believe him when he says he'll manage to write that much.

You'll get hooked. It's a great series, don't wait until it's finished. I am just now starting to re-read the first two books. They are that good.(less)
Cj
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  249,631 ratings  ·  16,518 reviews

Start your review of The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
Kogiopsis

I'm running out of superlatives.

Seriously, after praising The Well of Ascension as a reader's dream book, I was worried. What would I say if The Hero of Ages was better? Even finding the perfect GIF for that book didn't solve the problem - because soon enough, there'll be The Alloy of Law, and I still haven't read Elantris.

And then this book came along.

Now, I'll admit that I took my sweet time. About six months, off and on, actually. For a lot of that, I wasn't sure what I was getting into. There were flashes of the sort of brilliance and depth I've come t
Patrick
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got to read an ARC of the book and I really enjoyed it. Sanderson really knows how tell a story and create an interesting world....
Felicia
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
WOW. Ok, so I actually cried during this book (it was a stressful day, but I'm usually not a weeper). This book captures the epic grandiosity and scope that I remember as a kid reading Eddings and Feist and Jordan. I didn't know what was going on all the time, but I was keenly aware of the great plot, the secrets, and the depth of world building and character in this book.
Yes, it's REALLY long, and yes, it lags a bit from time to time under all the philosophy, but honestly I was just stagg
carol.
May 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: epic fantasy fans
Recommended to carol. by: virtually everybody
Shelves: epic-fantasy
A three and a half star read.

"What?" Sanderson's fans say, "this is a classic!"
"What?" people who read my reviews say, "you gave the same rating to that mess of a zombie book!"

Let me 'splain.
No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

Ignore comments about the length. I've read books that were as long (hello, The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition), and everyone has read series that were over a thousand pages. What troubles me about The Way of Kings is that I felt like I w(
Petrik
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: epic/high fantasy fans
Buddy reading this epic book with these lighteyes:
Brightness Celeste
Brightness Aria

Incredible, impressive or fantastic, all these words are an understatement to the quality this book holds. The Way of Kings is the beginning of a masterpiece series in epic fantasy. It is now my life goal and a new addition to my bucket list to obtain and read the entire series of The Stormlight Archive, which will probably take at least anotherAria
Incredible,
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE who likes fantasy.
Recommended to Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more by: Robin (Bridge Four)
4/29/18: even better the second time.

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I have a new favorite author. His name is Brandon Sanderson.

description

This book . . . made me curse like a sailer.

If I had tried to read it in public, at the very least, I would have been banned from the property. More likely, I'd have either been locked up for 24-hour observation at the local mental health ward or at the local precinct for Disturbing the Peace, but only after having passed numerous drug tests, proving that I wasn't Drunk and Disorderly.

If you think I'm exaggReads
4.5
Sean Gibson
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, a buddy of mine has been trying to get me into Sanderson for some time (figuratively speaking, I should note...he has not, as of yet, physically tried to jam me inside the poor man, for which, I'm sure, Mr. Sanderson is quite grateful). At my friend's suggestion, I started with Mistborn, which--and don't freak out on me here, Sandersonites--I thought was solid, but didn't exactly salt my pickle (is that a thing?). So, he proceeded to give me The Way of Kings as a gift--his polite way of forc ...more
Melanie
Buddy Read with Robin and the rest of BB&B! ❤

“In the end, all men die. How you lived will be far more important to the Almighty than what you accomplished.”

This was the best Brandon Sanderson book I’ve read. Since I’ve started reviewing books, everyone constantly talks about Mistborn, which don’t get me wrong, is an amazing series too, but this book blew the entire original trilogy out of the water. I truly believe in my whole heart that The Stormlight Archive series is the series that everyone should be pushing onto high fantasy r❤
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Jul 25, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chaima ✨ شيماء by: Harun Zahid
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, adult
The very concept of reading this book genuinely terrifies and haunts me. I am scared of anyone who read it. Who are you and how do you have so much power? I read one chapter, realize how many are left and black out for the next week.
Evan Leach
When I was a kid, I was never able to get the best of those damned Magic Eye paintings. I would stare and stare until my eyes watered, but to no avail.

description

All I see is an OK fantasy novel.

Well, looking at The Way of Kings and its glittering, 4.58 rating is bringing back some painful childhood memories that I’ve tried really hard to repress. Because like those stclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Re-read on Audible. It was even better the second time around. Shallan's story wasn't as boring this time around. I'm not sure if it was the audio or what, but I'm glad.

I'm still in love with Kaladin and I still love Dalinar! Their parts are my favorites even though the whole book is awesome.

**First Read Review**

MAGNIFICENT! Where do I begin reviewing this book!

I loved it for starters. I can't imagine how someone can have such a brilliant mind to think of an epic book like this, much less going to have 10 in the
TS Chan
Fourth time and it is still as awesome!

The Stormlight Archive is Brandon Sanderson's "love letter to the epic fantasy genre". His magnum opus. From my perspective, he had lovingly and painstakingly crafted a masterpiece that was not just his greatest but one of the greatest of all time. And thus, this is my love letter to The Stormlight Archive and I hope it can do some justice to this favourite series of mine.

There are many great fantasy books out there; some have a compelling story to tell supplemented wit
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

So finishing this novel was incredibly bittersweet.

The Stormlight Archive is the last of Brandon Sanderson's High Fantasy works I have left to read before I am forced to confront The Great Waiting.

However, I am glad I waited to read this series, as it seems like it's going to be one of Sanderson's largest & most clarifying contributions to the Cosmere universe.

I had such a wonderful time reading this. I've seen a couple reviewers saying the book could've been shorter (1,007 pages in physical copy, 45.5 hours in/>The
J.L.   Sutton
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brandon Sanderson’s Roshar is a world with a rich history, mythologies, magic systems and an ecology which has been shaped by violent (high)storms; this is massive world-building at its best! When you’re reading Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive #1), you’re never sure which details will be relevant later on. Here’s a clue: even though it’s a monster of a book (1,007 pages) almost everything becomes relevant eventually. Am I anxious to read the second book? More like anxious for the third book. In ...more
Katerina
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads, fantasy
This book.
This storming book.

[Insert a picture of a trembling, screaming human being overcome with reverence]

There should be a different kind of spren (Sandersonspren? Cosmerespren? I am open to suggestions), spren depicting the tempest of emotions that threaten to smother you when you read The Way of Kings, or books written by Brandon Sanderson in general. Anger, panic, frustration, sorrow, wonder, awe, humility before his brilliant mind, his limitless imagination, his Words that twirl, spin and dance until they ensnare you in their web, until they are ingrained in your moleculebook.
[Insert
Robin (Bridge Four)
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of A Song of Ice and Fire, Red Rising and The King Killer Chronicles
Recommended to Robin by: Gavin
Kindle Daily Deal 01Nov18 for $2.99 at Amazon

Buddy read/reread and 3rd read of this monster done. The thing I love the most about Way of Kings is that even though it is my 3rd read of the book I catch so many new things, remember things I've forgotten and still get just as caught up in the story. Still a 5 star read all the way.

Be prepared for many many updates.

On Sale Today here 5/23/16

BUDDY READ/REREAD!!! A5/23/16
BUDDY
Claudia Ramírez
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, top-2018
I will now proceed to make Dalinar an altar.

Also, Kaladin must be protected at all costs.
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone partial to mindblowingly magnificent fantasy.
Shelves: favourites
SEPTEMBER 2017 UDATE: JUST AS INCREDIBLE AS THE FIRST FEW TIMES I READ IT!

The highly anticipated 2017 BB&B BR of the Stormlight Archives
has finally arrived. Grab your books and get lost with us in the sheer magnificence.

class="gr-hostedUserImg">
Celeste
I’ve been struck speechless. I’ve loved Sanderson’s books in the past, but this one completely blew me away. I really wish I could give The Way of Kings a sixth star. It has supplanted The Name of the Wind as my favorite fantasy novel of all-time. Rothfuss is still high-prince of my heart, but Sanderson reigns as king. Kvothe is an amazing, beautifully written character, but he doesn’t hold a Stormlighted-sphere to Kaladin. (Also, how can I not esteem the sheer amount of writing we get from Sanderson? Ro ...more
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Via The Obsessive Bookseller at www.nikihawkes.com

Having read (and loved) many of Sanderson’s other works, I was interested in reading this one, but hadn’t planned on picking it up any time soon. However, as every Sanderson fan I came across told me with passion that Way of Kings was the “best one yet”, I finally couldn’t stand it anymore and had to see what they were all raving about. And you know what? They were right. Not only is Way of Kings one of Sanderson’s best, but it is also one of the most ric
Kim
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's official, I'm not a Sanderson virgin anymore!

It's been years since I read a really big book. I think It by Stephen King was by far the biggest one I ever read when I was in my early 20's and that was also probably the last one. I don't often pick them up because they intimidate the hell out of me. Another thing: I like fantasy, but sometimes I feel like I am too dumb to always understand what's going on (and English is not my first language) so I'm always itching to read fantasy
Becky
This book. Wow.

I kinda don't even know what to write about this book. The scope of it, the detail, everything is just so... epic. And then I think about the fact that there are a proposed nine more books, and I just...

Photobucket
The EPICNESS.

As I was reading this, I admit to being unable to see how this story, already ginormous all on its lonesome, could expand to a whopping 10 book series and do it well. Keep the pacing, the excitement, the world, the magic system, the awesomenes all consistent.

Oh m
may ❀
full review posted

my eyes are bleeding, my head is pounding, my crops are withering but i made it through this book and that's all that really matters

so, i want us to be adults and sit and talk about our thoughts on this book with maturity and understanding

that being said, i ALMOST 3 STARRED THIS IM SO SORRY PLS DONT HURT ME

allow me to explain

source

story & plot
so the strel="nofollow">source
story
☽Luna☾

Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination. Speak again the ancient oaths and return to men the Shards they once bore. The Knights Radiant must stand again.

Best.book.ever

Wowowowowowow Kaladin, Syl, Shallan & Sveth <333

PS. Kaladin is my brooding sulking baby who needs 1 million kisses, a box o
Jorge Desormeaux
I began reading this book with a frown. The Prelude lasts barely more than 3 pages, and it assaulted me with 'Desolations', 'Dustbringers', 'Shardblades', 'Oathpact' and 'Radiants', all of them thrown about without care or explanation. The first chapter is no better: more meaningless words strewn carelessly. Worse, the opening sccene is a first-person narrative of a white-clad assassin who engages in a dizzying (confusing) set of gravity-manipulating acrobatics (which involve more arbitrary name ...more
Choko
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.65 ***

A Buddy Read with my Fantasy Family @ BB&B! Because we love Sanderson!!!

"...“Weakness can imitate strength if bound properly, just as cowardice can imitate heroism if given nowhere to flee.” ..."

Once again, my tendency to read Epic Fantasy has lead me to a conundrum - how does one go about writing a satisfactory review of a book over 1000 pages long, bursting at the seams with characters and plot arcs??? I think it is almost impossible to do such creation a justice, and I kn/>
Bibi
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr Sanderson really needs to take a class on dialogue structuring and placement, also, he can't write a romantic scene to save his life.

Nonetheless, this was epic fantasy at its most ambitious and perhaps a bit too ambitious because worldbuilding was on a massive scale. Ecology, theology, mythology etcetera, which meant that info-dumping was inevitable.

Undoubtedly, Sanderson is extremely talented but as with most people with genius intellect, he made the mistake of showing us jus
Sandra
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“Sometimes the prize is not worth the costs. The means by which we achieve victory are as important as the victory itself.”

REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK

s-2ee174838d90fe19e78e51a6030775984337576a

hp2

It took me forever to finish this (well, shorter than when I read The Final Empire), not because I didn’t like it, or because I was having a hard time delving into it. It's all me. This is a real case of "it-was-me-not-you" scenario.

I FREAKIN' LOVED THIS BOOK!

I'm going to echo what my good friend Petrik said about this book in his review, The Way of Kings is a m

scenario.

Em Lost In Books
I simply loved every single book that I have read by Mr. Sanderson and well I have read five books by him. I was not ready to read this one because of its huge size but finally decided to read after being told by a friend that this is one of the BEST book in fantasy genre, a genre I absolutely love. So I must read this and I am very happy that I actually read this.

Being a Sanderson fan I know magic system in this book, like his every other, is going to be unique but I didn’t know tha
Undead & UnRead B...: * January - The Way of Kings 1 4 Nov 13, 2019 01:48PM
If you had a Shardblade what would you name it? 19 143 Nov 05, 2019 12:01PM
Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson - Read-a-long? 2 26 Oct 16, 2019 11:50AM
SciFi and Fantasy...: "Way of Kings" First Impressions *No Spoilers* 203 255 Oct 13, 2019 12:56AM

• The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
  • The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)
  • The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, #12)
  • A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s Soul, Mistborn: Secret

The Stormlight Archive (10 books)
  • Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)
  • Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
  • The Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive, #4)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #5)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #6)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #7)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #8)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #9)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #10)
“The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon.” 1763 likes
“Life before Death.