Start by marking “The Memory Witch (The Memory Witch, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Memory Witch (The Memory Witch, #1)

The Memory Witch (The Memory Witch #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Ten years ago, Quinn Jacobs’ mother made a bargain with a local witch—steal away Quinn’s memories from the first eight years of her life and in return, Quinn would spend a year in servitude to the witch.

On Quinn’s eighteenth birthday, she’s forced to leave her home and friends behind. For the next year, she’ll live at the Chadwick House, learning everything she needs to kn
Published December 15th 2013 by Crescent Moon Press (first published December 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Memory Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memory Witch

Rebecca
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Memory Witch caught my eye with its intriguing title and beautiful cover.

The reader follows along through the mind of Quinn, a young woman just graduated from high school and looking forward to spending her summer before college hanging out with friends. She's a typical eighteen year old except for her inability to remember anything before the age of ten. Arriving home late from a date, Quinn finds her mother speaking with a strange woman, Stella. Quinn learns that her mother has bartered a
Jody
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Witchcraft and more! - mature YA

Novels about witches always grab my attention. The cover art is gorgeous and enticed me to dive right in.

Quinn is a hard working, dedicated eighteen year old, ready to go off to college and begin her life out of high school. Everything she thought she wanted for her future gets taken away from her in an instant by an elderly witch who she owes a debt to. Only Quinn is the last to know. Her mother sacrificed a year of Quinn’s life to the witch, Stella, for a spell
Sam
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
From the very first paragraph to the last this book had me. The characters are well written and you can feel Quinn's confusion and pain at having to give up her friends and her dreams of college when she finds out that she will have to go live with the witch Stella for a year and learn the craft of a spellcaster. Then there is the question of why her memories for the first eight years of her life erased. What could have happened that her mother did not want her to remember. I pretty much guessed ...more
Lolly
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Memory Witch is a tale of dark and twisted magic! I was attracted to the book because I thought the plot sounded very unique. It's labeled YA but as an adult I still liked all the drama with Quinn, Stella and Mason. Mason was a great h and him and Quinn had fab chemistry. Will be looking out for the next one.

I won this book in a giveaway and was asked to provide a review.
Fred
Feb 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
Not sure what I expected out of this book, but I didn't get what I wanted. I'm hardly the target audience for this book. Too much romance and too little magic, for my taste.
Sherlyn
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on Mermaid with a Book.

Wood weaves a dark tale with a touch of magic in The Memory Witch – the first in a series. I have always loved tales with witches in them and was drawn to Quinn's story.

Quinn was a character that I quickly grew to like. Wood brilliantly set up the plot and characters, making it very believable that Quinn had no choice but to leave with Stella, the witch. There was also a significant build-up of events before Quinn left for Stella's place, which I g
Paula
A good paranormal story will not only whisk you away from you real life and allow you to immerse yourself completely in the characters lives, but will let you believe that all the magical and extraordinary things could be real and happening to someone you know, where you live. "The Memory Witch" by Heather Topham Wood does all of this easily. The story captivated me from the start, made me lose all concept of time and space and experience things alongside Quinn.

Quinn is a young girl who is haun
Tia Bach
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quinn doesn't remember the first eight years of her life thanks to her mom's deal with Stella, a witch. The deal: Quinn's memories were erased. But magic always comes with a price, and Quinn must now spend a year as Stella's apprentice.

As the days pass, Quinn learns more about her abilities and the costs of witchcraft. What she doesn't learn is anything about her past, until she takes matters into her own hands. But there's a reason her mom fought so hard to wipe Quinn's memories. Will the trut
Marni
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I’d like to thank the author for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Doing so does not sway my judgment in any way.

The Prologue pulled me into the story right away; lost memories, murdered father, mother’s attitude about everything and a change. BAM! I was sold on this book. Not many books do that within the first couple pages, and when they do it’s an amazing feeling. The title itself let me know it had to do with memories, but I wasn’t so sure how the witch part
Kimber Wheaton
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 Stars

The Memory Witch has a beautiful cover. That along with the premise drew me in. I love books about witches, find spellcasting fascinating. It was intriguing to see the sacrifices or offerings people had to use to make a spell work. Magic can't be worked without cost, and sometimes that cost is dear. Quinn learns this little fact first hand the summer after she graduates from high school.

Quinn is an interesting charac
Heidi Garrett
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
The Memory Witch is an interesting story, very different than a lot of paranormal stories I've read. I kind of like how the whole book innocently leads you into the woods, then explodes in the end with the dark revelation. On some level, the revelation is predictable, but on another level, it's not. Because it's really brutal. The first sentence in the prologue: "I don't have a single remembrance before the age of eight," sets the stage for what is to come. However, the interesting thing about t ...more
Amanda Masters
I couldn't get enough of Heather Topham Wood's tale! this story broke my heart time and time again. I felt so bad for poor Quinn and the things that she had to suffer. Heather is a amazing author for I felt every single heartfelt word of this book right down to my very soul. The Memory Witch is a book that will stay with me for a long time to come.

Quinn Jacobs has everything she could ever want, the perfect boyfriend, the best of friends and she is going to be going to the collage of her dreams.
Melissa
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, tour
I didn't realize that I could enjoy books about witches until I read the book "Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness. After reading it and then "Shadow of Night", I was hooked!! Then I couldn't stop! I began reading book after book I could find about witches! So when I realized this book was about witches, I knew without a doubt I was going to love it!

When I immersed myself, which I do more often than not, into Woods' world, I couldn't stop. The characters were so likeable and identifiable t
Shawna Romkey
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's not often that I'm drawn into a story that I can't put down. I'm a slow reader and take my time, maybe normally just reading a chapter a night. Not with The Memory Witch, though. I was immediately immersed in Wood's rich world and didn't want to leave it.

Her lead character, Quinn, is quite likeable and identifiable. She seems like a typical teen at the onset with the exception of her bizarre memory loss and the deal her mother has made with a powerful witch. She's relate-able and real. I wa
Sabrina Olteanu
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for my honest review. Thank you Itching for Books and Heather Topham Wood for the opportunity to read The Memory Witch.

It has always been fascinating to enter a new world of magic. It relaxes me and it makes me live new life. So, thank you for an amazing story. It was a great read!

Imagine thinking you have an amazing life, even you had problems and then, all of a sudden you find out everything was a lie. That's Quinn story. She thought she was a normal girl, happ
Amanda Gill
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love Heather and all of her books! She has nailed it again with The Memory Witch and I cannot wait for the rest of the series! She is go great at weaving in touchy topics and keeping it real and appropriate.
Quinn finds out on her 18th birthday that her mother made a deal with a witch to take away Quinn's memories when she was 8. What Quinn didn't know was that her mother agreed to "trade" a year of Quinn's life when she was 18 to go be an apprentice to the witch. While training wit
Danielle
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There is one thing that strikes me about The Memory Witch, and that is the way it echos V.C. Andrews My Sweet Audrina. The tragicness of Quinn's life will break your heart on one hand, cheer for her the next, then fear for what is to become of her.

Wood does a great job making Quinn believable with her normal hopes and fears that all teenagers feel. I felt like Quinn would be a great friend.

Stella, the witch, seems like equal parts love and hate. She isn't evil, but she isn't good either. At tim
Gardavson
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, paranormal, ya
3.5 stars. It was a solid 4 till the end. It was rather anti climatic. I was expecting something much more sinister. Not that it wasn't a bad thing, but it wasn't what I was expecting. She made a huge leap in her emotions, completely skipping grief and going straight to, well, something else (no spoilers). I don't really feel any compulsion to go to the next in the series. I liked the book up until the end.
Mary E. Hastings
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads-wins
I received this from First Reads Giveaways, but I didn't win it for me. I gave it to my great niece because she loves this type of story. She's not very good at writing reviews, but she did tell me to give it five stars and to say that she loved it SO MUCH (she wanted me to make sure I used capital letters for that one) that it was now her new favorite book. She said she loved it even more than Twilight AND Vampire Diaries, and that she thinks that witches are much cooler than vampires now.
Marie
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I like to read teen books from time to time and I prefer novels that have more mature themes than the everyday high school drama stuff. The Memory Witch was a paranormal read that surprised me and held my interest throughout. Although Quinn is 18, I identified with her and I was invested in her romance with Mason.
Liana
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
The plot of the book sounded promising but the conflict of the book was lacking. I also felt no emotions for any of the characters. The romance interest was boring and their relationship felt forced to me.
Flynn
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love young adult books about witches and this is another great one to add to my collection. I LOVED the romance, Mason was mysterious and brooding. The book was different from the author's other works, yet still a great novel.
Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay)
First thoughts: Not at ALL surprised by the big revelation. Also, some major repetitive word choices. "Giggle", in particular, was getting on my nerves. Full review later.
Ellen Wookey
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mini-reviews
The flow of the timeline is one year and it is easy to follow with the Heather’s writing style

Heather Topham Wood touches on a hard subject and brings a story to life within its words. The Memory Witch is both an emotional and magical journey that will leave you wanting to know more.
The Memory Witch was a quick and enjoyable read. It never strayed from the main point. You are continuously reminded about the loss of memory that Quinn has experienced. The flow of the timeline is one year and it is
Gypsy Madden
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Admittedly, I didn’t read any of the reviews for this book before purchasing. I probably should have because I really would have appreciated some warning before reaching all of the hot-button topics in this book. I know I shouldn’t spoil, but I really think it should be said that this book has brutal child rape in it and violent suicide (there’s also mentions of child abuse and even a suggestion of molestation). And while that does make for good drama, I don’t appreciate it in my paranormals, wh ...more
Sesana
May 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Some of the writing is a bit clumsy, and I couldn't quite get attached to the characters. But there's some decent ideas in here, and while it's easy enough to guess the basic category of the main character's missing memories, I was kind of pleasantly surprised to see how angry she was after the fact.
annemarie_bookaholic
What??? really??? How can you leave us hanging like this???
Is there a second book?
Tiffany
Dec 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Full Blog Post @ Book-Marks the Spot

Quinn is about to turn 18 and can’t wait to go to college and have a life with her boyfriend Tanner. Life has other plans for her though. It turns out her mother made a deal with a witch to take away Quinn’s memories for a year in the witch’s service. Now she is staying worth people she barely knows and learning magic. At first she is skeptical but when she realizes she does have powers, she wants one thing. She wants her memories back and she will do anythin
Kristen
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
GENRE: Young Adult
THEME: Mature, Paranormal, Witches
RECEIVED: Review for Tour
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
I was not prepared for the gripping, intense and magical story that Woods created in the first installment of The Memory Witch series. There is a mix of darker dramatic twists that weaved in a bit of romance and beautiful mysterious magic.

The Memory Witch follows Quinn Jacobs, her life has taken a major turn and not in her favor. She is being sent off to live a year with a w
Jo Michaels
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves fantasy, magic, and creepy curses.
I grabbed this title during my 12 Days of Christmas party, that special time of year when I stock my Kindle with books I intend to review over the next twelve months. Heather is an author whose work I love reading and she showed up with a pitch for The Memory Witch I couldn't say no to (I've also been sitting on pins and needles waiting for this title to hit the shelves). So, I popped on over to Amazon and ponied up the dough. I have to say, I'm glad I did. While Amazon has this categorized as T ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Silver Moon: The Complete Saga
  • Wanted: One Ghost (The Crossroads of Kings Mill #1)
  • Keeper of the Lost Souls (Keeper Witches, #1)
  • The Promise (The Coven, #1)
  • Unearthed (The Heights, #2)
  • The Truth Spell (Werewolf High #1)
  • Dark Shadows: Wolf Moon Rising
  • Immortal Trust (The Curse of the Templars, #3)
  • Lucifer (Sons of Old Trilogy, #1)
  • The Beast and the Homecoming Queen (Queen of Beast, #1)
  • Frost Fire (Tortured Elements, #1)
  • The Beginning of the End (The Mauve Legacy, #3)
  • Death Lies Between Us (An Angel Falls, #1)
  • Playing Hooky (Paranormal Investigations, #1)
  • The Seduction (Legacy of Kilkenny, #1.5)
  • Waking Hearts (Cambio Springs, #3)
  • Swift (Swift, #1)
  • The Howling Heart
Heather Topham Wood’s obsession with novels began in childhood while growing up in a shore town in New Jersey. Writing since her teens, she recently returned to penning novels after a successful career as a freelance writer. She loves creating imaginary worlds where people behave exactly how she wants them to.

Heather graduated from the College of New Jersey in 2005 and holds a bachelor's degree in
More about Heather Topham Wood

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice, #12)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49