Start by marking “Dr Craine's Body” as Want to Read:
Dr Craine's Body

Dr Craine's Body

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  21 ratings  ·  14 reviews
“That only in death would their lives be considered.”

A story about the destabilising nature of love. A scrutiny of society and life through the lens of death. An absorbing, unsettling portrait of a fractured psyche. A beautiful yet haunting subversion of the romance genre.

Dr Craine’s Body follows a gifted yet deeply unorthodox medical examiner as he battles with his unrequ
Published March 31st 2013 by Severest Inks

To ask other readers questions about Dr Craine's Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr Craine's Body

Adrian Bambridge
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A twisted, darkly descriptive, beautifully crafted page-turner

I stumbled upon Khalid Patel's debut Hollow Shotguns awhile ago and read it with great interest, finding it immensely enjoyable. Its quality alone was enough to convince me to give his second release a go, and at such a low price it was an easy decision.

The story is set in murky Riverstones City. The prose is remarkably well-written, every word and sentence graphically yet beautifully crafted to produce a fascinating, edge-of-seat pag
The Book Chick
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Smart, Unsettling Narrative

This short story is the perfect combination of chilling yet absorbing. Set in the gory world of a forensic coroner, the evocative text transports you directly into a realm of self-loathing, arrogance and cynicism. Yet the smart narrative makes you almost root for the quirky loner at the heart of this book, even as the nature of his actions become increasingly unsettling.

With shades of television’s 'Dexter' series, this story explores the blurring of moral boundaries
Ish
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, medical, death, horror
An Innovative, Controversial Romance Story

From the outset, I found this story enthralling; it allows readers to see the dead from an alternate perspective. Through medical examiner Craine we are introduced to the dysfunction of the city, all the death & murder. We find the ray of hope he holds in his unrequited love interest Priya to be the only pure thing in the plot. The poetic opening by Browning starts the story poignantly, both its relevancy to the plot & poetry’s general entwinemen
Vic Williams
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Khalid Patel is the master of the creepy story.

The best part of this tale is that it's believeable. Somehow he's managed to get us rooting for Dr Craine, despite the obvious reasons why we shouldn't. He's human: deeply affected by social anxieties, but desperate for affection and prone to obsession like most people we meet. Dr Craine is like Frankenstein meets Heathcliff but with a fantastic modern day twist.

I loved it. An awesome short read!
Will Marsden
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, love, medical, death
A jaw-dropping, truthful look at both the beauty and pain that is love

Is it still possible to wring some originality from the staled romance genre? Pose that question to British writer Khalid Patel, one of the lit. world’s best kept secrets, and he’d possibly slide you a copy of his blistering short Dr Craine’s Body. This narrative is so bold it will linger within you. Unlike most romance fiction, Khalid Patel portrays the stark reality, the dangerous fever, and essentially, as he notes in his
Tim
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The necessity of love in one’s life is a defining factor into one’s quality of said life. The concept of love, especially unrequited love has been written about for centuries. The decades long ache Pip feels for Estella in Great Expectations; the inner calculated rage Heathcliff experiences as his beloved in Wuthering Heights comes to be with another etc. These and other tales speak to the various highs and lows of love and its sometimes truly destructive power.

The titular Dr. Craine has never k
Blistered Eyeballs
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A 'different' look at love

Say ‘romance fiction’ and you’d be forgiven for picturing a chiselled hunk clasping a beautiful damsel in mid-swoon pose. With Dr Craine’s Body Khalid Patel applies flame to such well-worn clichés of romantic literature. Here our ‘hunk’ is a social outcast, a lonesome soul with a perverse yet strangely logical attachment to the corpses he deals with in his profession as a forensic pathologist. Our ‘damsel’ is a somewhat cold, distant woman, who despite Craine’s self-ass
Peggy
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you want to read something a little bit different than give this short story a try. It is not for the squeamish though or those with a very sensitive disposition.

Dr Craine is a pathologist, performing autopsies is his profession and the mortuary is his office. He is also deeply in love with Priya, his colleague. An unrequited loved, Priya is married and sees him purely professionally. Than something unexpected and tragic happened and Priya's husband is asking Dr Craine for help. What follows
Zack Ingels
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not your typical love story

‘’The sun sinks and a chill touches the city. Winds wail along the urban canyons between the rotting buildings. Water streams from the bruised clouds like tears of mourning. Lighting scars the charcoal sky. Fog climbs up from the earth, chill and enveloping like the memory of some old grief. Pale fingers of mist caress the gloomy streets.’’

Deep in the forensic investigator’s building, just past the Crime Scene Investigators department, Dr. Craine stands in his sanctuar
Eryk Pruitt
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Kindle product I have bought, having gone through the rigamorole of downloading the necessary stuff to view this story and I have to say it was more than worth it.

Fresh off the daunting HOLLOW SHOTGUNS, England's Khalid Patel offers up the first of what he promises is many slices of short fiction. For those of you accustomed to the breakneck, frenetic prose of his debut novel, prepare yourself for something altogether fresh and new. This time, Patel explores the dark, macabre f
Saf
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, love, death
Impossible to put down

The chillingly graphic nature of this story is surpassed only by the perverse and gripping effect it has on the reader. It really was impossible not to read this in one sitting as I found myself unable to put the story down, even when an angry train conductor demanded I do so to show my ticket! My only grievance is the lack of length to it as I truly was gutted when it ended.
Charmaine Pauls
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dr Craine's Body is a skillfully crafted character sketch of a lonely pathologist who has, just maybe, been among corpses for too long. Life makes sense only when seen from the perspective of the cadavers Dr Craine dissects. The story is a yin-yang reflection on themes of life/death; love/loneliness; power/weakness; and debatable rights/wrongs that blend together in a twister of beauty and horror. This story is shaken, definitely not stirred.
G.S.
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Craine is a great character!

Such a good character to follow! You see him sad, you see him distraught, and finally, you see him happy. A great story, and a great read to lose yourself in an afternoon. Khalid Patel embarks on a wonderful love story.
MJ
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, medical, death
An excellent read

Intellectual and makes you think, something of a rarity for the romance genre. Well done to the author. Top Notch.
Nate
Feb 22, 2014
Zara
Jan 13, 2014
Khalid Patel
Jul 27, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: medical, romance
Louise BDGG
Jan 16, 2014
Susan
Feb 14, 2014
Desi Alonso
Jun 16, 2014
Khalid Patel is a British writer and English Literature graduate of Indian and Burmese heritage. Raised in a working-class Muslim culture, his multilayered background and experiences echo his textured storytelling, often characterized by experimental prose, captivating dialogue and searing sociopolitical asides.

He is also the founder of Severest Inks, an independent publishing house dedicated to c