Start by marking “Portrait of a Scandal” as Want to Read:
Portrait of a Scandal

Portrait of a Scandal

HE HAS TAKEN HER TO HEAVEN, HELL AND BACK AGAIN…

Her heart and hope long since shattered, Amethyst Dalby is content with her life as an independent woman. With wealth of her own, and no one to answer to, she is free to live as she pleases.

Until a trip to Paris throws her into contact with the one man who still has a hold over her—the bitter but still devastatingly sensual
Published January 21st 2014 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about Portrait of a Scandal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portrait of a Scandal

Rane

Once in awhile I enjoyed some plain brain candy. 'Portrait of a Scandal" was pretty much candy from start to finish. Predicable enough it was the reunited sweethearts theme that drew me to this book to begin with.
Once madly in love with the other, Lord Nathan Harcourt broke it off when a rumor reaches his ears that Amethyst Dalby is not all she appears to be. From that sudden drop, Amethyst pain and hurt becomes full blown man-hate which was nurtured by her wealthy aunt who passed everything t
Ruth
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This one, provided by the publisher through netgalley, was a complete surprise to me. I'm not a huge fan of the lovers-from-the-past-who-get-back-together trope. I always find it a bit uninspiring, and a bit too angsty. Why don't they just walk away and get on with their lives, for heaven's sake? So, really for this trope to work for me, it's got to have something else going for it, quite frankly.

This one had two fabulous characters combined with lovely writing which made me (almost) forget that
Farrah
Nov 30, 2013 rated it liked it
A lovely historical romance. Portrait of Scandal was an enjoyable read. I had my issues with it, but I still liked it.

Amethyst and Nathan were sweethearts years ago and they had intended to get married. Until Nathan's father decided that he didn't approve of the marriage and crafted a series of lies sent through the perfect vessel (one of Nathans' closest and most trusted friends) to ruin the relationship. Nathan believed them, left Amethyst, and ended up marrying someone else. Amethyst was left
Wendy
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amethyst Dalby and Nathan Harcourt had met and fallen in love 10 years previously. Through a series of misunderstandings and some deliberate meddling on the part of Nathan's Father, they had parted acrimoniously. Their lives in the ten years following had not been happy, each blaming the other for their misfortunes. As a result they had both become embittered, particularly Amethyst who had turned into a prickly, shrewish, man hating woman.

I enjoy Annie Burrows' beautifully written, romantic nove
Angel
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think Portrait of a Scandal may have been my first Harlequin Historical, and I very much enjoyed it. I selected this book because it takes place in Paris and it’s about an artist.

Amethyst travels to Paris to make some business connections. She’s a wealthy, independent, single businesswoman, thanks to an aunt who trained her then left her business to her. Amethyst was a disappointment to her family because she didn’t marry well. She fell in love with a man who rejected her and then lost intere
Kelly
This review also appears on Reading with Analysis.

After I read this book, I just didn’t know what to say about it. I loved the first half (it had all these fantastic elements including a wealthy businesswoman heroine who is in control of her own life -- !! -- and a disapproving Frenchman and a comedy of errors plot.), but it felt as though the second half abruptly returned to 'typical historical romance novel' form.

There were quite a few things that I liked about the book, particularly that th
Gail
This was not so much about a scandal as about healing wounds of the past. A very good read.
Wrathsqueen
My blog review of Portrait of a Scandal-

Harlequin Books
"Burrows' newest, a tale of lovers meeting again a decade after their scandalous affair, hits the right notes." RT Book Reviews
Rida
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Typical story.
SuperWendy
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Slow beginning, great middle, but the tacked on conflict at the end was disappointing. Loved the Paris setting, the heroine with a head for business, and that the hero was a "lowly" fourth son.
June Jones
May 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
What a boring book, no content, could not wait to finish it
Sheri
Rosemary Plonka
Apr 23, 2015
Marsha
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Terrible lies, deceits, deceptions and hidden truths lie at the heart of this novel. So much treachery and many scurrilous rumors have contrived to tear apart two lovers that reading them struggle to make a life together is almost agonizing to read.

Ms. Burrows, however, makes it happen. It’s a treat to watch the heretofore hemmed-in Amethyst Dalby spread her wings and turn herself into the gorgeous lady she always was. (I have to confess to being a tad disappointed that she only came to an aware
Sri Murdiati Rin Permata Sari
Rosangela
Jan 13, 2019
Hollis Martin
Jun 18, 2014
  • Salvation in the Sheriff's Kiss (Salvation Falls, #2)
  • Never Trust a Rebel
  • One Illicit Night (Wellinghams, #3)
  • The Innocent and the Outlaw (Outlaws of the Wild West #1)
  • Never Forget Me
  • Unveiling Lady Clare (Knights of Champagne #2)
  • A Debt Paid in Marriage (Business of Marriage #1)
  • Ravished by the Rake
  • Running Wolf
  • In Debt to the Enemy Lord (Lovers and Legends, #4)
  • Bride by Mail (Wild West Weddings #1)
  • Sequins and Spurs
  • Secrets of a Gentleman Escort (Rakes Who Make Husbands Jealous #1)
  • Captured for the Captain's Pleasure
  • Falling for Her Captor
I've been published by Mills & Boon since 2007..but I'd been making up stories in my head for as long as I can remember. It was a long walk home from school, and there were no ipods in those days to keep you amused! When I wasn't daydreaming, I had my nose stuck in a book. My parents used to take me to the library every Saturday, until I was old enough to get there on my own, and my house was ...more