Start by marking “The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5)

Read Excerpt

The Assassin's Blade

(Throne of Glass #0.1 - 0.5)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  168,892 ratings  ·  15,541 reviews
Contains all five novellas.

Celaena Sardothien is Adarlan's most feared assassin. As part of the Assassin's Guild, her allegiance is to her master, Arobynn Hamel, yet Celaena listens to no one and trusts only her fellow killer-for-hire, Sam. In these action-packed novellas - together in one edition for the first time - Celaena embarks on five daring missions. They take her
Published March 4th 2014 by Bloomsbury Childrens

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin's Blade, please sign up.
Kate um, let's be real. everyone is a joke compared to Sam, he's just gahhh.…moreum, let's be real. everyone is a joke compared to Sam, he's just gahhh.(less)
Stars i know this was written a year ago but I just finished it and i have to say that there is only ONE thing that the book revealed that I wish it hadn't …morei know this was written a year ago but I just finished it and i have to say that there is only ONE thing that the book revealed that I wish it hadn't because it is revealed to Celaena much further into the series and I liked finding out with her. I would have gone crazy knowing something Celaena didn't. That being said, I would read the main series first, then read Assassins Blade after. (less)

·  168,892 ratings  ·  15,541 reviews

Start your review of The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5)
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this! I'll have a review of this on the channel soon. :) ...more
Miranda Reads
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
"You said you didn't care what I thought. Or what I did. Or if I died, if I'm not mistaken."

"I lied! And you know I lied, you stupid bastard!"
Ohmygosh. I'm still reeling.

The five novellas are so well written and woven together that this almost feels like a book in its own right.

Set far before Celaena bacame the King's Assassin, we watch as she fights to the top of the assassin's guild and claim her rightful spot.

Along the way, she meets true friends and dire enemies. She learns exactly wh
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”My name is Celaena Sardothien,” she whispered, “and I will not be afraid.”

So here’s the thing:
I read “Throne of Glass” at the beginning of the year but never continued with the series, because back then I just didn’t have the necessary time to read all that much. Well, and then I met Gemma on goodreads and we decided to read the entire series as a buddy read. ;-)

So far so good!
Said and done!
Still, before I re-read “Throne of Glass” I wanted to read “The Assassin’s Blade” because I already knew
Whitney Atkinson
i dont want to talk about my feelings right now i need a couple weeks to process this
Angela
This review will be a little different from my others for several reasons. This is a series we are way too deep into for me to go over each character or plot. I won’t me writing a super detailed review for each one, just a small summary, my favorite quote, and the rating.

The Assassin's Blade is a bind up of five novellas for the Throne of Glass Series. I’m just going to say this right way... I wish I would have read this right after Throne of Glass. I wish I wouldn't have waited till I was four
Caz (littlebookowl)
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I really enjoyed this! Some stories I liked more than others, but it was nice to see what happened to Celaena leading up to Throne of Glass.
I would have liked to have seen more of her when she was younger and training, though.
Now, on to rereading Throne of Glass!
Sofia
PAIN
SO, SO MUCH PAIN
I FORGOT HOW AGONIZING THAT ENDING WAS
AHHHHHHHHHHH

review to come when I stop dying

___

REREADING BECAUSE I LOVE TO SUFFER 🤪✌️
IT'S TIME TO RIP OPEN MY SCARS AGAIN 🤡✋
THIS BOOK HAS MADE ME CRY SO MANY TIMES YOU DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND- 😃👍

buddy reread with a bunch of amazing humans. we are ready to cry

_____

I. AM. WRECKED.

My heart has been torn out of my chest, stepped on, rolled in the dirt, and smashed into a million shards with the hammer of heartbreak. It's been ripped into shreds
Warda
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how this book continues to destroy me with every reread. This will always be one of the most heart-wrenching stories for me. The way Sarah J Maas fleshed out the characters in this book and their emotions pulled at my insides. It hurt like nothing else. I hate it. And I'm incredibly in love with this collection of novellas.

Original review!
“She would tuck Sam into her heart, a bright light for her to take out whenever things were darkest.”

Reread. 5 stars, of course.

This is the kind

Reread October 2018

Still hurts.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

***Please be aware that while refraining from spoiling the specific novella I'm reviewing at the time, there may be spoilers from any prior novellas.***

I view these stories as five separate but related tales--like a series--b/c that's how I originally read them. I'll include links at the bottom of the post to the individual reviews on Goodreads, for those of you who are afraid of being inadvertently spoiled.

In the summer of '12, I was desperately seeking new read
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I can't believe I have had this book forever and just now read it. Such is life I guess.

I knew it was going to break my heart and it did, it so much did. But I needed to read the story of Sam. Sam =( ♥
jessica
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i actually wasnt planning on reading this until after ‘kingdom of ash’ but the wait was just too much for me, so i quickly snuck it in!

ughh, i wish this book was a part of the main series in the same way ‘tower of dawn’ was. i think if the series started off with this, instead of ‘throne of glass,’ i would have had a much deeper understanding and connection with celaena. this provides so much character development and insight into who she is, which was really lacking in the first few books.

als
Tharindu Dissanayake
Jun 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
"The only way to kill a witch is to cut off her head."

Throne of Glass had been on my TBR for quite some time now, but some of the contrasting reviews made me putting this off several times. And then I came across this compilation of the five prequel novellas. Normally, I don't like to read those #0.1 versions of a series, at least before reading the first book. However, as these novellas had been released prior to the first book, I hoped The Assassin's Blade would give me some indication, wh
Maureen
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, 2014
This was such a wonderful book. It is 5 prequel novellas, but the novellas read as one story with small gaps between the stories. I loved every second of it and I loved learning more about Celaena!

Reread July 11-17, 2015 for #fivefaves

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH BUT IT ALSO BREAKS MY HEART BUT I LOVE IT SO. BLESS SJ MAAS BLESS HER FOR THESE AMAZINGLY FLESHED OUT NOVELLAS.
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
No, I'm not ok. Rather than tell you how I feel, let me show you how I feel. Spoilers.

Sam. I cannot. I just cannot.

Was this a necessary read for the series? Yes. Does it make it any easier? No.

For those of you have a REALLY hard time with death in a book.. let me prepare you.
The ONLY way I was able to cope with this book was:

1. Chocolate
2. Tissues
3. Bookmarked moments from book 3 and 4 of TOG in order to go back and read happy moments of sweet, sweet justice.

That is all.

#3 Heir of Fire ★★★★★
#4 Queen of Shadows ★★★★★
#5 Empire of Storms ★★★★★
#6 Tower of Dawn ★★★★★

She was fire, she was darkness, she was dust and blood and shadow.

As anyone who knows my taste in books is already aware of, I’m total trash for Sarah’s other series, A Court of Thorns and Roses, and have been for a while, which is why I know it’s kind of surprising to a lot of people (myself included) that it’s ta
Jeff
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
NO WORDS.

Just sobbing, dying, laughing and dying again.
Enjoy readers. :)

This was a mix of billions of wonderful stories and I guarantee y'all, ur in for a sobbing-fest.

So yes, you'll be needing......:
-donuts (idk, just get SWEETS)
-more SJM books.....
-MORE BOOKS
-you're mom's credit card to go buy those books or you could rob a bank
-a buddy to scream and cry to
-6000000 tissue boxes

Yah.

Alright alright.
No, u ain't just gonna cry ur eyeballs out.
UR GONNA SMILE TILL UR MOUTH SPLITS TOO!!!!!!

How
Bangadybangz
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I actually enjoyed this more than the first book! It was nice to get a little more insight into Celaena's history and learn how she came to be in the salt mines in the first place. All the novellas flow really well together too (except for The Assassin and the Healer; I feel like that one could have been taken out). Also it was cool to see Celaena actually BE an assassin (I haven't read anything else past the first book, so I don't know if she does later).
I just wish we could have had a scene (p
Sandra

“My name is Celaena Sardothien," she whispered, "and I will not be afraid.”

NOTE; Review unedited.

I have a question to the lovely Sarah J. Maas that i'm sure many fans demand the answer to...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Why would you do this to your fans!? Tear their heart out like that?! It ain't fair. I need a super glue to stick it back together now, but even then it will never be the same!

This is what sort of state you left me when i finished the awful last chapter and may i add this was quite literally how i looked
Lia Carstairs
Me before reading this: Why is everyone being so dramatic over this? I doubt it's that bad . . .

Everyone else: Oh just you wait *creepy smile emojis*

Me after reading this: WHAT THE HELL YOU ALL ARE CRUEL. WHAT. THE. HELL. MY HEART I CANT I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS. I HATE YOU. ADFSGHJGDAF NO UNGODLY AMOUNT OF COOKIES WILL EVER MAKE ME RECOVER FROM THIS. I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING AHHH NOOOOO😭😭😭

I hate you guys.

I am broken.

I don't know how to move on from this—NO actually, I will never be abl
ambsreads
“My name is Celaena Sardothien,” she whispered, “and I will not be afraid.”

The Assassin's Blade was a book I was nervous to go into. I have heard mixed reviews about The Throne of Glass series, ranging from people loving it to hating it which has resulted in me constantly pushing it back on my TBR.

Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised. I personally really enjoy Sarah J. Mass' writing. It is well done and engaging. Unfortunately, I did see a spoiler which meant that the ending of the last p
Layla
Apr 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
~ 3.55 stars ~

Confirmed: My heart is made out of ice.

I do wish I could say that I felt more emotion than I actually did by that ending, but alas, I cannot. I did still quite enjoy this book though, but to be fair, the bar was low to begin with. I found this collection of novellas entertaining and I was glad to have gotten more of Celaena’s backstory. Of course, there were varying degrees of how good each individual novella is, but overall, a solid read.

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord ★★★☆☆ (3
Celine Lindeskov
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book that once you've read it, you'll need paper towels, cookies, chocolate and Google Images to find fanart of Celaena and Sam and the cry some more.
Oh, this book... It was amazing!
The writing was absolutely stunning and even though it was a collection of novellas, I felt like I was reading a novel, because the stories are chronologically and so beautifully woven together.
And it really scares me that Sarah J Maas was able to do this to me in five novellas; I cried... I cried
Mikee (ReadWithMikee)

❝She was fire, she was darkness, she was dust and blood and shadow.❞

Of all five novellas I only liked two of them. Overall, I was just kinda bored with the stories. I think I might've just set my expectations a little too high considering how it's Sarah J. Maas and the Throne of Glass series. But to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed.

This book is finally when we meet the late Sam Cortland. SJM constantly brings up Sam in every book in the series, but until now I never knew who Sam rea
Wendy Darling
I don't even care, I can't stop thinking about this book so I'm bumping my original 4.5 star rating to a 5. Plus it made me cry! I don't think another 2014 book has done that this year.

I cannot believe these were written as prequels, they give readers such an enormous breadth of understanding for Celaena's character and history, as well as enormous sympathy for what she's been through, faults and all.

And WHY have I never heard how amazing Sam is? <3 (view spoiler)
michaela ☁️
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
hi just wanted to let ya’ll know that this book crushed what was left of my soul
Melanie
I really wanted to read this novella bind-up in preparation for Empire of Storms! These five individual stories actually line up chronologically and tell a pretty fluent big story. I wasn't expecting that, so I was pleasantly surprised. Instead of five completely different and random stories, you get five different stories that build up together for one event that ends up being the start of Throne of Glass.

Overall, I really did enjoy this bind-up, but I enjoyed some stories much, much more than
Zoë
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Although the writing was beautiful (as is expected by the magical Sarah J. Maas), it took me more than two months to get through. Because it was a bind-up of novellas, every novella had to have a fulfilling ending which made the pace of the entire book feel slow and awkward and I couldn't fly through it the way I flew through the first two books. That is the only problem I had with the book, though, and although I knew how the story would end, it left me in tears! ...more
Candace
I absolutely loved these prequels to the 'Throne of Glass' series. Taking place during Celaena's years as an elite assassin working for her master, Arobynn, this grouping of prequels sheds a lot of light on the events that molded Celaena into the woman we met in 'Throne of Glass'. It is no wonder that she avoids relationships and entanglements. Her story was heartbreaking!

Celaena spends her time trying to run from a past that haunts her, while simultaneously trying to gain the love and approval

• A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The ​Crown of Gilded Bones (Blood and Ash, #3)
  • A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
See top shelves…
Sarah J. Maas is the #1 New York Times and internationally bestselling author of the Crescent City, A Court of Thorns and Roses, and the Throne of Glass series. Her books have sold more than twelve million copies and are published in thirty-seven languages. A New York native, Sarah lives in Philadelphia with her husband, son, and dog. To find out more, visit sarahjmaas.com or follow @therealsjmaas ...more

Throne of Glass (7 books)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)
  • Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)