Start by marking “Welcome to Paradise (The Kincaids, #1)” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Paradise (The Kincaids, #1)

Welcome to Paradise (The Kincaids #1)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  2,468 Ratings  ·  201 Reviews
By the bestselling author of the "Escape to New Zealand" series--
They're going to party like it's 1885.

Mira Walker is hoping that competing on a "living history" reality show will give her what's missing from her real life. Maybe she'll get closer to her boyfriend, who hasn't been all that nice to her lately. Get fired up about her job again. Who knows, she might even win
Published August 15th 2013 by Rosalind James (first published April 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to Paradise

Stacia (the 2010 club)
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Kay
Little House on the Prairie for Grown-Ups?

Well, not quite. However, if you ever wondered how Ma and Pa got it on in that one-room cabin with other kids/people around, maybe this book will shed some light on that matter. Hint : find other places outside of the cabin.

The concept : Modern-day people are taken out of their element to compete on a reality show by heading out to the middle of nowhere to live like they're stuck in the year 1885.

Was it unique? Sure. I've actually seen a PBS show whe
Brittain *The Baddest Female*
You know what? Sometimes you just need a bit of levity in life. You need to watch cartoons that you watched as a kid (some with far too many inappropriate jokes) and read silly books that have cute plot lines and an obvious ending.

And that's what I did with this book. Welcome to Paradise is probably one of the silliest book I've read this year and I'm completely okay with that. Hell, I read it pretty much in one sitting. It was quick, fun, easy , and maybe it will help get me out of this reading
KB Wayne
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to expect when I purchased this: I'd read (and really liked) the author's other books (the Escape to New Zealand series) so figured "why not?"

I am SO GLAD I made that decision. This is a romance for readers who appreciate an interesting, informative, intricate story written by a clearly erudite writer.

After the success of British tv's "Victorian House," "Manor House," etc., PBS did a few of its own plopping-modern-families-in-historical-settings series, starting with "Frontier
Melanie
I saw this on Dee's list for the SRC challenge, and I was intrigued by the storyline:) I'm glad I went ahead and bought it, because I loved it:) The whole "living in the past" was awesome, and Gabe was to die for. I can't wait for Alec's book to come out! 4 solid stars!
Jaclyn
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really liked the idea of this book, but thought the characters weren't very believable and were pretty one-dimensional. Mira, the main character, is a doormat and in the beginning of the book seems to continually make excuses for her boyfriend Scott's behavior. Scott has absolutely no redeeming qualities, while it is apparent that Mira is supposed to be practically perfect, if a little on the plump side, as if that's supposed to be a character flaw. The fact that she supposedly has no other dr ...more
Dusty
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars: FIVE AMAZING STARS... and that was before the shaving scene.
You heard me.... shaving scene... still reading my review? Didn't buy the book yet? Keep reading...

If you take a ton of people who don't know each other and throw them into living together under harsh circumstances- you've got the real world.
If you add in the personal stories, body transformations, and the interesting mix of people- you've got the Biggest Loser.
If you add in survival challenges, immunity challenges, and a
Lea
I am a big fan of the Escape to New Zealand series (and really hope there are more books coming soon) and I was really looking forward to reading this new book, though I wasn’t sure if I would like it as much. I didn’t like this book, I LOVED it. It’s a great story about personal growth, standing up for yourself and new love, all in the background of who are you deep down when all the “stuff” is stripped away. I loved the interaction between the teammates at the Paradise Homestead was wonderful ...more
Kathleen
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just when her readers have become used to author Rosalind James taking them on a fun adventure in her Escape To New Zealand series where they have gotten to know and love all the yummy rugby players, she switches gears and introduces her readers to a new series called The Kincaids set in the United States!

In Welcome to Paradise, the first book in The Kincaids series, the author transports the reader to the state of Idaho where they follow a dozen or so contestants compete in a "living history" r
UnusualChild{beppy}
synopsis:
mira and her boyfriend scott are competing in a reality show that puts people back in the days of the settlers. they have to do without all modern conveniences and put in their gardens, build corrals, etc. gabe and his twin brother are also competing. mira is hoping that she can get enthused about her job and her relationship with scott, who is very overbearing and obnoxious. scott sets out to make aliances and doesn't listen to what mira thinks about anybody in the competition. when th
Ellen
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly thought it was illegal to have a romantic hero be this gorgeous. Once Scott takes to mockingly call Gabe "Dr. McDreamy," I was sold (the image of Derek Shepard in my mind was too good to resist). I fell in love with James's novel because her characters are so extraordinarily deep. I cared about each and every one of those people, except the ones we are supposed to hate (and boy, do you hate them).

I loved the chemistry between Mira and Gabe...read the rest of my review at The Canon!
July
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING!!!!! All I can say is "ah". This book is like a breath of fresh air. The sexual tension is fierce but totally worth it.
Kjirstin
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The premise is fun -- a romance set among the competitors on a reality show which is basically Survivor crossed with Frontier House. Gabe, the hero, is genuinely likeable and believably good-hearted, meaning that we're happily rooting for him from the beginning. Mira, the heroine, is entangled in a relationship with an obviously no-good sort of fellow, which creates complications throughout the length of the book. It also means that it's quite satisfying when he recei ...more
Amy (My Husband Calls This An Obsession)
Paradise you say...

I've actually read this book twice now. I really enjoyed it! I was glad I did re-read it and then read the second book in the series again after. Some of the things I had forgotten about from the first book showed up in book two. :-)

Anyways, about this one. It's Survival set in 1885. The whole set up is on a game show that sends teams out into the Idaho backwoods to live like they would have in 1885 while trying to settle the land. There is a twist right off the bat when the t
Aishwarya
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it

I love the reality show bits of this :) unique, refreshing and worlds apart from your run-of-the-mill contemp romance.

But I think after Gabe and Mira got together, everything became maudlin' sentiment, a little too sugary for me. Not to mention Scott(who seemed perfectly sane but just insanely competitive and rude at the beginning) went crazy-fuck in just the blink of an eye.

I still enjoyed the book but as I've always belonged to the school of thought that "the twin-feeling" is a myth, I found
Shay
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This looks to be another great series by Rosalind James. I liked the premise of the story, a reality show where contestants have to live like it's 1885. The characters were good, though as game contestant Kevin pointed out, a little stereotypical of the standard reality show contestants... the bad couple, the useless beauty queens, the hot guys, the father/son, mother/daughter duos, and the flamboyant gay male. The main story was the romance between Gabe and Mira. I liked how their relationship ...more
Heather
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really, really enjoyed this book! Full of interesting characters who grow and change over time, plenty of passionate tension (which builds for a loooong time), and an antagonist you love to hate. Very realistic, charming, and full of win. Loved it!

Scott, at the very end, strained my ability to suspend my disbelief a bit, but that only happened in the last chapter or two and wasn't enough to detract from the five star rating. I LOVED Gabe, especially when he and his brother were contemplating t
Susan
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Rosalind pens "Welcome to Paradise" in a plot that is filled with adventure and love. Rosalind's characters are well developed, believable and she brings them to life. I wasn't so sure she could top her 'Escape to New Zealand' series which I totally loved, but she did and I actually think I love this new series a bit more. Now I can't wait for the next installment to come out and see what happens next. Highly recommended to all adventure-romance fans.

This review is based on a complimentary copy
Kim
Love anything Rosalind James writes

Went I read the description of this book it didn't sound all that interesting. What prompted me to buy it is the author. I have never read a book by Rosalind James I didn't like. I was not disappointed. She is the most amazing story teller. Her story lines are always interesting, the sex hot & the characters lovable. Looking forward to the next book.
Christine
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rosalind-james
Good idea for a story

I always enjoy something new. Setting the story on a reality TV show about 1885 was a cool idea. Just when you feel like the story is getting too predictable there's another new surprise. I have never laughed so hard just thinking about an axe. To understand that comment you're going to have to read the book!!!
elaine m. suda
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reality and real life

I don't watch reality shows and was surprised that this story held my interest. I found it fast-moving and thoroughly enjoyed the characters. I especially enjoyed the time period as the story-line, which was challenging. I look forward to reading more of Rosalind's books.

Sandy
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book

Totally enjoyed reading this. The story was a new and fresh way of looking at reality shows as to how you get to know the other contestants. Will be looking for more from this author.
Ginny Mirande
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story

The kind of story you want to keep reading. kept my interest from the first to last page. looking forward to the rest of the series
Stacy Moses
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
loved this story! Scott was crazy, Gabe n team Paradise made the,story great. With all of the reality tv now days, this story really unbelievable. couldn't await to pick up this book each night.
robin Speary
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

I couldn't put the book down once I started to read it. can't wait tho read next in series from the Kincaids
Maritza
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, read-2017
Picked this book for a challenge and let me say I really liked it a lot. This is a game for reality show junkies of which I am one. A couple of years ago there was a reality show like this where people went back to the old times (can't remember the name, but it was a good show). In this one, twins Alec and Gabe sign up to win a million dollars to pay off student loans, etc. Mira signs up with her boyfriend Scott to experience something new. The couples are split into two groups and forced to com ...more
MB (What she read)
I enjoyed quite a few things about this book. The historical reality show plot was interesting. I've read variations on that plot before, and found this one seemed pretty well researched (a plus). I also enjoyed the older contestants and their wisdom and life lessons. I thought the inclusion of Native American history was well done as well. I'm glad she didn't stay a doormat and stuck up for herself. He was a nice guy. That's kind of rare too. That added to the enjoyability quotient of this. Alt ...more
Harisa Lagji
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-on-kindle
*book currently FREE on amazon*

Very solid book. Great world building, great character development, and very lovable characters. I thoroughly enjoyed this and enjoyed the ride. As if I don't get enough reality tv in my tv shows I have found them in my books now and I couldn't be happier.

One star off for a bit of too cheesy for me moments but most moments were sweet :).

Also--I understand that the series is about he brothers but like can Kevin get his own book because he was AWESOME.
Gillian Murrell
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
A book about a Reality show what will they come up with next. This one is called living history, where the contestants have to live like they would in 1885. To say the show is sexist is downplaying it but thats what it was probably like in 1885. You have the abused female teaming up with her partner as one of the main characters. Then you have the hunky good guy who falls in love with her.
Lynn
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-freebie
Rounded up from 3.5 to 4 stars.

This one honestly took me by surprise. I have been reading mostly freebie books lately because often they either aren't of the best quality or else tend to not fit my tastes very well. But since I am super busy with the kids just back to school I want books that are really easy to put down if needed. So is it fortunate or unfortunate that this book sucked me in and became hard to put down? It was of higher quality and a closer book fit for me than I'd anticipated.

I
Michelle Formica Holden
I have read many of this Author books, this is different then the NZ seriers but awesome in America just the same. I am one who does not like to put out much on the book because it spoils it for others. as a reader of 5-6 books a week. I found I so couldn't put this book down but I also did not want it to end . the only disappointment I can really say is the book was finished , AS FAR AS AUDIO:
What great narration, being use to one narrator,I was pleased that this book there was more narrators t
  • Hooked (Romance on the Edge, #2)
  • Thunder Snow (Thunder on the Mountain, #1)
  • Dogs Aren't Men
  • While Snowbound
  • Keep Me Ghosted (Sophie Rhodes Ghostly Romance #1)
  • Blue Heaven (Blue Lake #1)
  • Some Girls Lie (Outback Heat, #4)
  • Lost and Found: The Complete Series
  • Return to Audubon Springs (Brothers of Audubon Springs, #1)
  • Secret Shopper
  • Kiss The Bride (Montana Born Brides #5; The Davis Sisters #2)
  • Shift (Hearts and Arrows, #2)
  • You Belong to Me
  • All of You (All of Me, #2)
  • Mad About You
  • Maiden's Veil
  • Semper Fi (The Education of..., #3)
  • When Love's at Work (Embracing Love Trilogy, #1)
Rosalind James writes contemporary romance and romantic suspense published both by Montlake Romance and independently. Her stories are set in New Zealand, Idaho, California, New York . . . really, anyplace that seems cool. (Research trips, especially those involving lots of rugby, are a bonus.) Her books are available in ebook, paperback, and audio formats. Rosalind is a former marketing executive ...more
More about Rosalind James

The Kincaids (3 books)
  • Nothing Personal (The Kincaids, #2)
  • Asking for Trouble (The Kincaids, #3)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Four Swans: A Novel of Cornwall, 1795-1797 (Poldark)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Choice
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Silver Linings Playbook
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
“her strength” 0 likes
“Mira and Gabe's story: Welcome to Paradise Desiree and Alec's story: Nothing Personal Alyssa and Joe's story: Asking for Trouble” 0 likes