Start by marking “The Massive, Vol. 2: Subcontinental” as Want to Read:
The Massive, Vol. 2: Subcontinental

The Massive, Vol. 2: Subcontinental

(The Massive #2)

Still adrift and on the hunt for their sister ship, The Massive, the crew of the Kapital—all that’s left of Callum Israel’s dwindling environmental-activism group Ninth Wave—are challenged at every turn as they face mutiny, sharks, snowy isolation, and the tempting possibility of a new life on a utopian sea station. The strain of life in a crumbling world, as well as secre ...more
Published December 18th 2013 by Dark Horse Comics

Jeff
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
With a name like Utopia, it’s gotta be good! Am I right?

(Insert Sponge Bob GIF where he draws hands apart over his head in a semi-circle. Substitute “Utopia” for “Imagination”)

“Hi! Welcome to our little oil rig in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Come on in. Make yourself at home! We need to take your weapons. Ha! It's for everybody’s safety. No one will bother you here. Check out our amenities. We’re serving the best chicken curry in the commissary. By the way, we need to commandeer your vessel.
mark monday
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comicon
more low-key and downbeat "adventures" of the former eco-warrior ship Kapital and its diverse crew as they traverse a flooded and disaster-torn semi-post-apocalyptic world in pursuit of their gigantic sister ship reasonably named The Massive. featuring mainly pleasing art in brown & blue earth & water tones that still manages to be forgettable. much like the stories they illustrate. intelligent, measured, predictable, and ultimately dull.

this series reminded me a lot of certain adventure
Chad
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, hoopla
Wood gets preachy here while providing background history. In the first half of the book, the Kapital docks at an oil rig that's trying to set itself up as a sovereign nation. There's more going on behind the scenes, but it is delivered in a haphazard, obtuse way that left me somewhat confused on a few things. Then Callum goes all Captain Ahab in his search for The Massive and there's this really weird shark island thing that I didn't really get. Overall I didn't care for this volume as much as ...more
Pamela
Evidently, I rather enjoyed the first volume of The Massive (going by my rating of the book). We finally (!) got the trade paperback of volume two in at the library, so I checked it out. I remembered the basic conceit, but details--who has time for remembering those? Thankfully, you don't need to remember much from volume one to jump into Subcontinental. Here are the salient points:

World is mostly destroyed.

Superpowers no longer exist.

The crew of the Kapital are all members of an eco-activist gr
Craig Tyler
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it
The potential is here but I just don't know how many more pages of chasing a ghost ship I can stand. Sorry Kapital, maybe the Massive just isn't that into you.
Donovan
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it

This series is awesome. While we still don't find the Massive, I'm beginning to wonder as the book suggests if it's even real, or like peace, comfort and stability, it just doesn't exist anymore. The mysterious search for the ever elusive Massive has become, or perhaps always was, a metaphor for the post-Crash world in which the Kapital crew lives. The dialog is sharp, the art is rough and emotive, and the writing is brilliant. Now I'm planning on getting the next three volumes in a row from the
Mike Jozic
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Still not as riveting as Wood's DMZ but this book certainly has my attention. It's a real slow burn with more of a focus on character dynamics than the bigger over-arcing plot, but it remains a compelling story with some interesting themes that I'm looking forward to seeing Wood explore further.
Richard
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Chris
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
This series just hasn't really clicked with me. I really tried to like it, but at most I was vaguely interested.

I like the concept, but I don't care about any of the characters. I feel like they all deserve the world they live in... and the constant search for The Massive feels like a will-they-or-won't-they love affair between two characters in a tediously long running sitcom.

I feel bad because I'm sure this was planned from the beginning and it will reward those who make it to the end, but I
Chris
May 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
When I first picked up The Massive, I was interested by the setting and the premise, a crew out looking for their lost sister ship on the post-apocalyptic oceans, only to be a bit put off by the way the first volume skipped about through time, sometimes without establishing where and when the events we are about to read took place, dodging away from any sort of real developments, as well as the vague, yet suspiciously all-encompassing series of disasters that plagued the world during "The Crash" ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
Tonally, this book feels a lot like DMZ. It's a post-apocalyptic world, lovingly described, but with the focus on the characters traveling through it. And that's all a great thing, because DMZ is Woods' masterpiece (to date).

I found the first book of The Massive a little too episodic, so I was pleased to get more continuity in this one. Wood's increasingly building a story of interesting characters ... but for some reason the story feels quite opaque. Several times in this volume I really couldn
Cale
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
This volume collects two shorter series; Moksha station is an oil rig trying to be a sovereign nation; Callum and co. are reticent at first, but paranoia turns to be practical as things take a turn for the worse for everyone, setting up big events for the future as Mac and Georg and Mary all pursue their own agendas, often to the detriment of Cal. And the second half includes a couple of separate stories, as more of the devastation that has scourged the world shows unintended consequences (with ...more
Carmen
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm moving through this series really fast because its that good. The storylines in this one are still strong and a definite existential dread creeps in. Is the Kapital's pursuit of its sister ship, The Massive, really just a case of Waiting for Godot, searching for a thing that no longer exists but that admitting to would require a brutal self reckoning?

The only drawback was the art in this one wasnt as visually smooth as in the first. A noticeable shift in styles that loses some of the brutal
Andy Taylor
I really enjoyed the first volume of the series with the introduction of the characters, the world building and the central mystery of what happened to The Massive, but my interest started to drift in Vol. 2.

Some interesting character developments, but we're no closer to solving the mystery of The Massive and the story wandered as much as the Kapital and it's crew did.

The artwork and characters will make me see this through to the end.
Andy
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, graphic-novels
I really wanted to like this as much as I liked the first volume, but the "ghost ship" concept is getting old fast, as are some of the believability issues. More frustrating than the story, however, is the change in art styles. We basically have six issues of the comic collected here with four different artists. Is there some reason for this? The inconsistency in art really drives me crazy. I'm hoping the third trade is better.
Stewart Tame
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Still liking this series. I do find myself wondering how much longer it's going to be before they, you know, find what they're looking for. There's only so long this can be dragged out before it gets old. Curious whether that will be the climax of the series or not. Certain plots seem to be heading for a resolution sooner rather than later. We'll see what Volume 3 brings ...
Craig
Sep 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Still pretty good, though I'm getting as tired as the crew of the fruitless search for The Massive. Hopefully that gets resolved soon. Also, the artwork was quite variable here, from the outstanding to the cartoonishly awful.
Ystyn Francis
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"The Massive" offers a fascinating world with limitless potential.
Cyndi
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This volume was a bit loose, but very interesting. Looking forward to returning to this tale. Though depressing, it does take you on a journey.
Rodolfo Santullo
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Segundo tomo de The Massive y la sensación es que las cosan se ponen por completo en marcha. Tenemos a nuestros protagonistas -siempre en la búsqueda del barco que le da título a la serie, que ya se me hace no van a encontrar nunca o hasta el final- llegando a Moksha, una especia de isla (y estado independiente) conformado por la unión de innumerables plantas petroleras. Moksha vive en paz y aparentemente separada de los intereses políticos que, como siempre, sacuden al mundo por lo que será una ...more
tartaruga fechada
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kevin Luy
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
12 issues in and we still have no idea why the Massive is important other than being told that it is every few pages. I get that we are continually TOLD it's important. But no characters inhabiting that ship have been introduced or even mentioned. Since the mission of Ninth Wave is still vague as hell it's impossible to know if or how the Massive supports that mission.
Maybe it's an elaborate meta project, where the story, like the Massive never shows up and the question is how long will people
Scott Lee
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
The pursuit of the Massive--which truly seems a ghost ship at this point--continues throughout the volume, but surprise (view spoiler) The search provides excuses for the Ninth Wavers that are still on the Kapital to blunder into several interesting and dangerous situations--primarily a dystopian/utopian city built of a bunch of oil rig remnants. We get to know Mag and the other crew better, but this, even more than the first volume is Cal's story a ...more
MKK
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a compelling story set in a post-eco collapse dystopia. I’m hooked and I am committed to Volume 3. No spoilers just know that this is Brian Wood at his best and the rotating cast of artists all do great work in each issue. That would be Garry Brown, Gary Erkstine, Declan Shalvey, and Danijel Zezelj.
Tina Olah
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed vol.2 just as much as the first! Especially liked Declan Shalvey's art in the "shark" issue.
Kelsey
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
2.5
Jason Fryer
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great continuation of a really cool story. As always, the art is fantastic but the further character development really hits the spot.
Jonathan Roberts
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Some parts of this were good but others not so much. I like and hate how he has story points that just don’t resolve. I will keep reading
Keith
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
The search continues... I'm still intrigued and will keep chasing "The Massive," just like the crew of "The Kapital."
Simon Chadwick
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
The crew of the Kapital are continuing their search for their sister ship The Massive, elusively sitting at the edge of their radar - if indeed it’s there at all - and encountering the new world order following the environmental, social and economic collapse that has so altered the dynamics of the planet.

Their first stop is at a group of drilling platforms, towed together to make a floating city-state that claims to be operating an idyllic way of life as it shuns materialism and violence. The re
  • East of West, Vol. 6
  • Lazarus, Vol. 4: Poison
  • MIND MGMT, Volume Two: The Futurist
  • Crossed + One Hundred (Crossed +100 #1)
  • Velvet, Vol. 2: The Secret Lives of Dead Men (Velvet, #2)
  • Great Pacific Volume 1: Trashed!
  • Caliban
  • X-O Manowar, Volume 3: Planet Death
  • Black Science, Vol. 4: Godworld
  • The Strain, Volume 4: The Fall
  • Crossed: Wish You Were Here, Volume 1
  • Peter Panzerfaust, Vol. 2: Hooked
Brian Wood's history of published work includes nearly thirty volumes of genre-spanning original material.

From the 1500-page future war epic DMZ, the ecological disaster series The Massive, the American crime drama Briggs Land, the blistering youth culture action trilogy The Couriers, and the groundbreaking lo-fi dystopia Channel Zero, Wood has a proven track record of marrying socially-conscious

The Massive (6 books)