Start by marking “The Black Parade (The Black Parade, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Black Parade (The Black Parade, #1)

Read Book

The Black Parade

(The Black Parade #1)

Jordan Amador. 21. New Yorker. Waitress. Mild alcoholic. Murderer.

Two years ago, Jordan accidentally shot and killed a Seer: a person who can see, hear, and talk to ghosts with unfinished business. Her crime came with a hefty price, too. She has two years to help a hundred souls cross over to the afterlife or her soul is bound for hell. Tough break.

As if that weren’t bad
Published July 20th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Black Parade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Parade

Start your review of The Black Parade (The Black Parade, #1)
carol.
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
carol.'s guideline for identifying sub-optimal YA books:

1) Everyone is supermodel attractive, even the villains.
2) They all 'smirk.' (36 times, to be exact).

description

****
I don't really like to leave a less than raving review on a new author's work, but since there isn't much out there, I'll share my thoughts. Though this does fall into paranormal territory, I picked it up because Ilona Andrews raved about it on a blog post. Of course, Andrews also recommends her BFF Jeanie Frost, who wrote Halfway to th
☙ nemo ❧
Aug 03, 2017 marked it as ebooks-tbr
"the black parade" ok, you have my attention.

Cathy
Mar 20, 2018 marked it as owned-unread  ·  review of another edition
Angels and demons are not my thing and I am generally a bit tired of UF, but Ilona Andrews recommended this and it‘s for free on kindle...
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
After what felt like slogging through an endless series of colorist-fail IR's in which every heroine had light skin, good hair, gray/green eyes and a body like Lil' Kim (before all the scary surgeries), I was close to throwing the towel in on the genre when I came across this first novel. Bear in mind I'd long since grown disenchanted with the paranormal genre as well, so I was actually surprised that I ended up really liking this first novel from author Kyoko M.. She's definitely a talent to wa ...more
T.C.
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Black Parade is a book that has what every top-notch novel should: a great premise, strong characters, great character development, powerful conflicts, and an excellent build up to the awesome climax. This is a story in which once you start reading, you won’t want to put it down until you’ve finished the book.

The main character Jordan Amador is a strong character who happens to be a woman of color-which is lacking in the world of novels. As a strong character, she has specific, detailed moti
Justine
I do not really care for paranormal books: I like them even less when the characters are drawn from Judeo/Christian lore and the writers do not remain true to what the characters should be.
The angel Michael is supposed to be the general of God's army... perhaps it's just me, but I would expect him to be able to fight his way out of a wet paper bag.
And how many times will that idiotic heroine go off on her own? What a darn basket case of stupidity. Then again, having Michael accompany her wouldn'
Maria Dimitrova
Because the IA gods recommended it.
Darce
** mild spoilers **

Hells yes. After all these depressingly bad books (admittedly they are free, but still) I've finally hit another jackpot with this book. Wonderfully written with a shit-ton of humour, some sly and well done romance and impressively strong and brilliant characters, I loved this book. I'm considering making it 5 stars. This was so good!

Kyoko M is a wonderful author. She has created a world where a hilarious woman, Jordan, helps ghosts in exchange for killing someone - while also
Devann
This started out interesting enough but by the 25-30% mark it was hitting so many horrible paranormal romance cliches that there was literally no chance of me enjoying it. A woman who helps ghosts with unfinished business is an interesting concept to me [even if the way she came into said job is flimsy at best], but an incredibly cliched romance between a ~super speshul~ heroine and a [mild spoilers] archangel is not, especially when these adults / immortal entities are written to act like teena ...more
Cathryn
Mar 20, 2018 marked it as to-read
3/20/18: Ilona Andrews recommended it and it's free today so of course I picked it up.
Claire
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.
This book started in a totally different place than where it ended up...I loved this!

Jordan is our main character that we follow. We're pretty much thrown in to the story and feel our way around, but its not hard to catch up with everything as its explained really well through the pages.

Its technically split into 3 small books, each with its own storyline, but following the same people with the story running almost like they're NOT separate books.

Jordan has to find 100 souls to help to heave
⭐ Emerson ⭐

Free on Amazon today!

description
Katyana
***2.5***

I wanted to like this a lot more than I did.

Let's start with the good: I found the Judeo-Christian framework to be interesting, the way that it didn't exclude other religion (in the few parts that it touched on other religion) but rather treated them all as ... almost metaphors for what is. A very unitarian perspective. The angels were also interesting. Very human, really. As were the demons.

But it was outweighed, for me, by the bad. Primarily, that the heroine was just horribly TSTL.
Meka♥books
Is it possible to find light in the darkness?
This is one of many questions posed in this high energy paranormal book. I’ve never read anything like this before. I cannot speak highly enough of The Black Parade. This is a well written interracial read where the heroine, Jordan is a strong, witty, quick tongued, woman of Spanish and African American heritage. She is also a waitress that happens to be a kick ass seer. The story incorporates archangels Gabriel, Michael, Raphael, & Uriel making
Lora Milton
The start of this book had me wondering if I would continue. I don't get into stories about ordinary people who get up, make coffee, etc. Then suddenly she was talking to a ghost. That's okay then, carry on.

The premise (from the blurb) is Jordan accidentally shot and killed a seer and for two years she has to help a hundred souls cross over to the afterlife or her soul is bound for Hell. We get Archangels and all sorts in this one, which makes it rather original and interesting, though the clich
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
DNF at 52%

Why? From my status update:

"I am not sure what to say or how to feel. The MC has kissed Archangel Michael and there are feelings involved. I want to reading this but its feeling a bit compulsive." — Dec 13, 2018 10:59AM

Part 1 was interesting. But her kissing/getting intimate one of the guys that featured heavily in my childhood bedtime prayers felt kinda disgusting and oh so gross.
Neka
Mar 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 67%

I never quit books unless they offend or piss me off extremelly. This book did neither, it was just boring. It was like reading fanfiction, and not the good kind. I just couldn't care anymore. I wanted to like it, I really tried, but it was just bad. Promising story and characters but very poor development. The angel was a doormat, if angels are this useless no wonder humanity is doing so damn badly. I couldn't with the whole "Hey, I'm Michael, I'm the mighty archangel Commander of God
Janet Hecht
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The author was looking for reviewers for the next novel in this series, She Who Fights Monsters, and she sent me all three current books in the series for free in exchange for an honest review which was wonderful.

The story follows a young black and Latina woman named Jordan Amador. When we first meet Jordan, we learn she can see and communicate with ghosts. Her responsibility is to help these ghosts fulfill their final wishes on earth so that they can move on to the next stage of their existenc
Tali
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Pamela
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. This girl can write! I loved the chemistry and banter between the two main characters, and yes, I admit that I am biased because our hero was an emo rocker, but it didn't make a huge difference in the long term.
I'm not what you would call a religious person, so I wasn't overly familiar with all the archangels in the story from before, but I liked that angle to the story. The plot was action-packed and constantly moving forward, with enough emotions to balance it.
I'm n
Darcy
Mar 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm not sure how this book crossed my radar by it was time to give this one a try. I made it 20% before giving it up. The reason, I was bored while reading, things were moving very slowly. I'm not sure if it was due to being a first book, so things needed to be set up or just a slower book. I was sort of interested in Jordan and what she was doing, but when Michael showed up things just went over the top once he remembered who he really was. In the end this one wasn't for me.
Annemarie
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
I enjoyed this a lot more than I probably should have. It was cheesy in just my type of way. It was predictable, and filled with cliches, but man, I really enjoyed myself reading this and kept wanting to read more. I'm not sure if I'd say this is a good book, but I wouldn't mind reading it again sometime, and I'll look into reading more of Kyoko M. as well.
J.D. Mason
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this for a review I was asked to do for I am Black Sci-Fi magazine. I'd never heard of the author, so I was excited to get started. The story started out a little "meh" for me, but the writing is brilliant, especially the dialogue. It's written in a very unusual way that I really dug. I ended up really enjoying this books, and am looking forward to moving on the next one in the series.
Melindeeloo
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: angels, demons
2 stars= ok. I just never really engaged with the lead Jordan - though I can't put my finger on why. Maybe part of the disconnect was all of the dreaded itemized sections used for multiple, dreams, letters and flashbacks - for me italics are jarring and pull me out of the story and here I was tempted to skip over them. Without my engagement, this just rolled along. Most telling for me is that there is a book two but I don't need to find out what happens next.
Sandra
Jan 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
I have mixed feelings on this one. The story had potential to be great if the author explored other avenues. One of my pet peeves is when authors write the side characters sloppily it doesnt matter if they are not in the spotlight they should also be well developed. My other problem was that the dialogue felt very juvenile in my opinion. I do not think I will be reading the sequel
D.
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an urban fantasy that we are introduced to. I don't get to read much of these, but I have to say that the work put into this was incredible and rooted in Christianity, as noted by the appearances of the famed archangels Gabriel, Michael, Uriel, and Raphael. But our story is centered on the Seer Jordan-- shouldn't I explain what a seer is in this story? I definitely believe I should. In Black Parade, a seer is an individual who can see and communicate with the dead. Back on topic, Jordan ...more
Kaitlin Bevis
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It had fantastic character development and a plot that just kept on coming at you. In fact, I really felt like I read an entire series by the time I got to the end. Not in a bad way, the book is divided into three different parts, and the author completely could have split the story into a trilogy and probably expanded and done a few short stories as well instead of selling it as all one novel, so this was actually a surprisingly good deal. Each part had fantastic bui ...more
Y.I. Lee
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This is an okay read. However, I do get a little tired of angels depicted as wishy-washy and even weak! Whereas I believe from the Bible they are awesome, powerful, and definitely not to be messed with, characters.
The whole premise of the story was a bit weird at times, but on the whole, once I got into it, I did enjoy it enough to keep reading.
I liked, and on the whole, could relate to the heroin, Jordan. Her character came across as feisty and strong; maybe at times too strong. There were inst
Samuel Robinson
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very well written novel. A factastic work of urban based Christian fantasy. It's beautifully paced and the characters are thoughtfully written. I am well looking forward to the next installment of the series.
Robyn
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you like Jim Butcher's novels, you will enjoy this one also. With a bit of Milton and Biblical theology as part of the mix, it made for a very interesting read. I look forward to more in the series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Thought Readers (Mind Dimensions, #1)
  • Dream Student (Dream, #1)
  • Beyond the Fortuneteller's Tent (Beyond, #1)
  • The Medium (Emily Chambers Spirit Medium #1)
  • The Witch Hunter (Witch Hunter Saga #1)
  • Nolander (Emanations #1)
  • Twin Souls (Nevermore, #1)
  • The Girl (Guardians, #1)
  • Drowning Mermaids (Sacred Breath, #1)
  • Wolves (I Bring the Fire, #1)
  • Darkangel (The Witches of Cleopatra Hill, #1)
  • More Than A Feeling: The Prequel to The Claire Wiche Chronicles
  • Deception (The Transformed, #1)
  • The Paranormal 13
  • Oasis (The Last Humans, #1)
  • Iron and Magic (The Iron Covenant, #1; Kate Daniels, #9.5)
  • A Question of Will (The Aliomenti Saga, #1)
  • Emerald Blaze (Hidden Legacy, #5)
Kyoko M is a USA Today bestselling author, a fangirl, and an avid book reader. She has written the Amazon bestselling Black Parade urban fantasy series as well as the Of Cinder and Bone science-fiction dragon hunting series. The Black Parade has been reviewed by Publishers Weekly and New York Times bestselling author Ilona Andrews. Kyoko M has appeared as a guest and panelist at such conventions a ...more

The Black Parade (3 books)
  • She Who Fights Monsters (The Black Parade, #2)
  • The Holy Dark (The Black Parade, #3)

Related Articles

“As we strolled into the hospital, I couldn’t help thinking about Maroon 5’s “Harder to Breathe” because I was having a difficult time staying calm. I had been kidnapped and beaten senseless by an agent of Lucifer, and yet the white coats the doctors wore scared me just as badly. The men who had taken me from my mother wore those same damned lab coats. Every time I saw one, it awakened a dormant fear inside me—fear that I’d be dragged away from someone I loved again, fear that I’d be placed into the waiting hands of another horrible person. It would never truly go away.
Michael’s shoulder bumped mine, which shook me out of my thoughts. I glanced at him. “What?”
“You’re frowning.”
“Am I supposed to be smiling right now?”
He faced forward, looking at our reflection in the elevator doors. “No, but you look like you’re about to bolt at any second.”
I watched the digital numbers change one by one as we rose up to the right floor, fiddling with the rosary in the pocket of my leather jacket. Somehow, the beads had a calming effect on me. “I’m fine.”
“Hard ass.”
A tiny smirk touched my lips. “Stop thinking about my butt. You’re an archangel.”
He grinned, but didn’t reply.”
6 likes
“Look, Jordan, you’re not alone any more. It’s my job to protect you while I’m here and I can’t do that if you keep pushing me away.”
“That’s the problem, Michael,” I shot back. “You have more responsibilities to your boss than you do to me. You taught me how to defend myself, how to heal myself, and that should be good enough. You can’t keep babysitting one little human when you have an entire cosmos to worry about.”
He faced me again, those green eyes boring into mine as if he could see straight through me. “Are you saying you want me to leave?”
My chest tightened. I hadn’t expected him to say that. I bit my bottom lip, glancing away. “That’s not what I mean.”
“Then what do you mean?”
“Since when have I ever known what the hell I mean?”
He touched my right cheek, making me face him. “You do when it counts.”
Staring up at him, shirtless, vulnerable, and wounded, I felt like I couldn’t breathe. He had a knack for picking my walls apart brick by brick. It bothered me.
He took a step closer, casting a shadow over me.
“Stop,” I mumbled, fixing my eyes on the floor. He brushed a lock of hair behind my ear, sliding his warm hand to lift my chin so I’d have to look at him.
“Stop what?” he murmured.
“Looking at me.”
“Why?”
“That’s how Terrell used to look at me before we kissed.”
His lips parted to say something but I pushed past him, gathering up my duster from where it lay on the bed next to the dress.
“Get dressed. We have more ghosts to help.”
3 likes