Start by marking “Going Home Again” as Want to Read:
Going Home Again

Going Home Again

In high school, it was doubtful Michael Day knew Alyssa Jones existed.

Twenty years later, when the now-famous pop star returns home to coastal North Carolina, Alyssa gets a second chance to make a first impression on Michael.

On sabbatical from his failing marriage, Michael agrees to an interview with Alyssa, a journalist for the local tourist magazine.

When the chemistry
Published August 27th 2013 by Swoon Romance (first published August 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Going Home Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Home Again

Start your review of Going Home Again
Beth
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
A rock star returning to his home town.

A woman that hadn't gotten over her high school crush, a crush that just happened to become a rock star.

A marriage falling apart.

A paparazzi's dream scandal.

A chance at true happiness.

Going Home Again was a well written romance story. The characters are completely captivating and the story engaging. Being a married woman, I had a hard time relating to Alyssa's and Mike's choices and attitudes toward Mike's marriage. I did enjoy the overall story of the high
Derna
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
*******4.5*********

I received this copy of Going Home Again from Swoon Romance in exchange for an honest review.

Alyssa Jones had a big crush on Michael Day at high school, but he never knew, in fact, he never knew she existed. Twenty years later Alyssa, who has never forgotten her high school crush, gets the chance to interview Michael who is now a famous pop star when he returns to their hometown to deal with the fact the his marriage is now over and has been for years. Sparks fly between
Ray
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Going Home Again is a delightful “what if” styled romance featuring the whirlwind attraction and relationship between aging pop-star Michael Day and his interviewer/old high-school classmate, Alyssa Jones. Though Alyssa remembers Mike as a popular high school senior and, over the years, watched his career blossom as a world-famous pop sensation, Mike didn’t know she existed—that is, until Alyssa scores the interview of a lifetime and reintroduces herself to her childhood crush.

The romance
Dannie Morin
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
**full disclosure** Abby is a personal friend of mine and I am totally biased about this book.

That said...

IT IS FULL OF WIN. If you like adult contemporary romance, you should already be reading this. I *do not* typically enjoy ACR and I thought it was awesomesauce--objectively and for real. If you write CR, you should love the craft and construction of this novel so hard. It is a fun read. It'll make you laugh, cry, it's better than Cats. And speaking of cats, Abs? Charlie? I got teary, babe.
Kelley Harvey
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Okay, to be honest, as I am, often to a fault, GOING HOME AGAIN was a tough read for me, and not because it isn't good, it is. However, it is also very realistic. And, having been on the other side of this coin, it made it difficult to get completely out of my own head. That said, you should know Abby Cavenaugh is a talented author, who is very descriptive, and she can write a love scene that will scorch the hair off of your toes! Not only are her characters realistic, the situations and ...more
Kenya Wright
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Michael and Alyssa's journey was a good one. I consider this a sweet romance with imperfect characters. Remember folks my favorite heroes and heroines tend to be greatly flawed. These weren't as flawed as I usually like them, but they did have problems--Michael's separation from his wife which creates a sort of "other woman" tag for Alyssa.

Still, this was a delicate walk towards a very sweet romance. The love scenes were magical. The emotions gripped at my heart and wouldn't let go. The author's
Stephanie Guthrie
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So far, so good! Very easy read, and seems like the kind of book that would be made into a movie. Yes, that good :) Excited to see where Alyssa ends up!

Just finished reading, and I'm very pleased! She described everything with such detail that it was easy to create the characters/scenes in my mind. I'd definitely read something else by this author!
Dianne

Enter to WIN one of TEN eCopies!

When Aylssa’s secret high school heartthrob turns up almost twenty years later, now an aging popstar, to say he now knows she exists would be an understatement! The problem? He is unhappily married and a father to boot. Their attraction is pure heaven, but is destined to raise hell both publicly and in the lives of others. Who can say that a rebound love can’t work? Is that what this is? Do they deserve happiness at the expense of others? Is this truly their
Kelley
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
A sweet and seductive love story. My heart was on a roller coaster ride from the start. This story is so different then other romance novels I have read. There is still spice and heat along with some very steamy sex scenes, however there is also realism that reaches in and grabs a hold of your soul. This is not your easy peasy HEA. This is an ugly nasty divorce. He did not just have to sweep her of her feet. Instead Mike and Alyssa became a united front and had to work at their
Melinda Dozier
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a sweet romance! How many of us have thought back to our high school crushes or first loves and wondered what happened? Well, Alyssa's crush turned into a bigtime heartthrob musician. Lucky for her, Michael returns to their NC town in the midst of a "seperation" from his wife and the two find a true love that is hard to ignore -- even when they fight it.

Becoming "the other woman" is not easy for either of them, but they fight through it and realize that what matters most is how they feel.

I
Amy
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Since this book was written by my sister, I don't think it's fair to write a review as I would for other books. Also I have read every page from first draft to published masterpiece and I love it. So I'm completely biased. You should still read it because the characters are very real, dealing with a real-life situation, not some fantasy world. The heroine also doesn't need a man to save her so I've always loved that about this book. What it is: a "What if" about what could happen if you actually ...more
Karina
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I love Alyssa and Mike's relationship and how Abby creates such a realistic atmosphere for it. This story definitely caters to every little girl's fantasy of meeting and falling for the hot celebrity you've always loved. Abby brings that fantasy to life in such a fantastically detailed manner. Can't wait to read more!! Maybe even a Going Home Again sequel ;0)
Allyson
I purchased and read this Kindle book on the basis that it was written by an NC author to support her, not knowing much else about it other than it was a romance between a normal girl and a famous singer. That being said, this book contains numerous instances of foul language and descriptions (an R rating), to which I was unaware before purchasing.

No offense is intended toward the author for this disclaimer; I just wanted to state this, as my review followers know I typically read cleaner style
Melissa Petreshock
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the basic concept of the story and the characters, but found my difficulty in the specific delivery of it, leading to a 4 star rather than a 5 star rating.

*Minor possible spoilers*

As a married woman, I had a hard time connecting at times with Alyssa and Mike due to the fact that him still being married and the affect the separation/divorce had on his soon-to-be ex-wife and their son played so heavily into the entire story line.

I loved the aspect of Alyssa's high school crush
Christy
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Alyssa Jones has never forgotten her first high school crush. As a freshman, she was certain that senior Michael Day never knew she existed. But now that high school is twenty years behind her, she has the opportunity to interview Mike for a magazine she works for in Wilmington, NC. Mike hit it big after high school as a musician, and Alyssa has secretly followed his career since graduation. When she agrees to meet Mike at his rented ocean front home for the interview, she learns that he is on ...more
Jolie Hudson
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet, lovely romance!

Who hasn’t had a sweet high school crush? I know I have. And this book allowed me to revisit this love. Le sigh.

Sometimes I can’t help but wonder the question What if?

Well, Alyssa (who had a crush) is thrown into a spiral of emotions when her heartthrob Michael returns to their hometown and then confronted with all the feels. Michael is going through a separation, which makes all of the feelings not always so easy to deal with.

I loved this book and I love how this
Kristy
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Adult Contemporary Romance isn't a genre I usually read, but the romance isn't what made me fall for this book. It's the characters. Characters like Alyssa, who so desperately wants to be with Mike, but hates being the "other woman". And Mike, who's trapped in a broken marriage, but still tried to make it work for the sake of his son. These characters are likable but also imperfect, just like us. They have vulnerabilities and insecurities, needs and wants we can all relate to, and that's why I ...more
K.L. Hallam
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story was a lot deeper than I thought going in. The beginning started off light, humorous and then it turned and I began to have feelings for all the characters involved, even Tina. While reading, I kept getting interrupted and couldn't wait to get back find out what happened to Alyssa & Mike. Having been in Alyssa's shoes once, a long, long time ago, I found this quite heartwrenching.

The story's ending felt like a new beginning. I expect we'll get more of Alyssa & Mike soon. At
Cynthia Hill
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I should start by saying that this is not the first time I’ve read Alyssa and Mike’s story: I was lucky enough to be a beta reader for Abby over a year ago, and I was excited to see how the story ended up now that it has finally found a home with Swoon Romance.

Going Home Again is not a typical romance novel...

Read the rest of my review here: http://cynthiahillbooks.com/2013/08/2...
Sep 05, 2013 added it
A lovely, sweet romance novel that brilliantly deals with marriage falling apart and falling in love again even if the timing isn't very convenient. Simply a beautiful romance.

Disclaimer - I am a publicity intern for the publishers of this novel. I honestly think this book is brilliant but feel free to ignore my opinions if you wish.
Kyra
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read this book a while before it was published, and again once the book was for sale, and I fell in love with the characters both times. What girl hasn't dreamed about meeting up with the guy who never noticed her in high school?!

Abby Cavanaugh has written a brilliant tale of romance, and I can't wait to see what she releases next!
Mel
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good stuff! Abby writes a great story that drew me in and kept me riveted til the end. The characters are believable, realistic and as perfect as they seem...flawed in just the right ways.
Tranese
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. It seems I like these kind of plots and I'm not ashamed. Great read!!
Nancy
Grant Colden
Jan 07, 2015
Shannon
Sep 06, 2013
Abby Cavenaugh is a writer of romantic women's fiction. She is a newspaper editor by day, but dreams of someday retiring to the North Carolina coast to write books full-time. She lives near Charlotte with her twin sister, also a writer, eight-year-old niece, three cats and a crazy puppy. She is driven by dreams and chocolate.