Start by marking “A Dark Road” as Want to Read:
A Dark Road

A Dark Road

Not every friendship is as harmless as it seems.

Loner James McKay wants nothing to do with Hadley Grayson. After all, the last thing a drug dealer needs is the pretty, new girl trying to be friends. Walking distractions like her lead to trouble, the kind that can get you 10 to 15 behind bars.

Likewise, fencing champion Hadley Grayson isn’t thrilled about her family uprooti
Published August 22nd 2013 by Limitless Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Dark Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dark Road

Vishous
3,5

This book pretty much shows why I love reading YA books. No, it wasn't one of the best I read, but I genuinely enjoyed it. I can't remember when was the last time I read such a CLEAN book. Not just YA, but in generally. Lately, and sadly, I would rather pick some book that has darker elements, and that is for adult audience, before I would pick YA book that is literally YA book. I must admit that I forgot why I really love reading YA books. This book reminded me why.

This book has pretty slo
Fatima
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
NO!!!! It can't end like that. My stomach is in knots and my heart is hurting. I can't believe it. Say it isn't so!!!!! Why? Why? Why? Amanda, can you please rewrite the last couple of chapters and make it end differently so I don't have to hurt as much as I'm hurting right now?
Scott
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A short, thought-provoking novel, A Dark Road is about a high school kid making and selling drugs to earn money for college. When a new girl comes into town he reconsiders his ways, but the plot doesn’t completely follow the “good girl saves bad boy” formula. I won’t give too much away, but let’s say the ending doesn't cop out with some happily-ever-after sludge, making you think about the long-term consequences of even the most well planned crimes. I’m recommending this to everyone.
Roxy
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A phenomenal story that is definitely NOT for the faint of heart. Part love story, part cautionary tale, get your Kleenex ready people...
Lindsey
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book should have a disclaimer: "Don't read in public because it will make you cry like a baby and look completely crazy."
Amanda Lance wrote a great book here, the characters were well structured and interesting. With alpha males being the trendy thing in YA/NA lit, it was nice to read a novel with a swoon worthy beta male. I could definitely go for another one.
Emilia
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such a great read! James is a sweetheart and the relationship he has with his dog is adorable. This book definitely traumatized me though. I think I'll have have a book hangover for at least a week. :)
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I haven't cried this hard over a book since TFIOS. What a wonderful and heartbreaking read.
Remi
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I didn't think this one would be much of a romance when I first started it (more focused on the drug aspect in the beginning), but this one had me 'aww-ing' before long. The author doesn't disappoint.
Judy
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Ok, I'm finally finished crying and can formulate a sentence!!!

A Dark Road was recommended to me by a friend. The synopsis sounded intriguing.. but led me to believe this would be a bit of a darker read. James McKay is a drug dealer! Mystery, secrets, overdose, meth making... but it wasn't.

The story was rather sweet, easy going, and funny.
At times though, I found it a little slow. Other times, there was a lot of rambling.. very descriptive.. about meth making!! How to make it, what meds to buy,
Betty Hart
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
A Dark Road by Amanda Lance is a ver touching, true to life story. James McKay is a very lonely confused boy trying to survive the best way he knows how. Hadley Grayson is a very lonely confused girl looking for friends in a new town and school. They are instantly drawn to each other. Although James tries to avoid it, he and Hadley become good friends. She is leading him down the right road for his future. Unfortunately, James has been cooking Meth for his father and some students at school. Wit ...more
Dana
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. This book is told from the point-of-views of Hadley and McKay; that is how the chapters are divided. Hadley is new in town and a good girl. McKay is a meth manufacturer and supplier. Some how they fall for each other.

The concept for the book is different and it is not the usual book that I would read. I don't like to read books with drug use in them. It is difficult to like a main character who is a meth manufacturer even if he has a difficu
Fatavia
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome read!!!!! Not what I expected at all. I was hooked from the beginning. Loved the emotional rollercoaster,even though it had me crying my eyes out. And the ending WOW.....just wow, totally took me by surprise. Loved it amazing storytelling at its best.
Kelly Blount
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amanda has created an emotional roller-coaster and an amazing book that I couldn't put down! Great job, Amanda!
NightRider
Nov 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
What. The. Fuck???????

The last chapter SUCKED and ruined the whole book.

That is all.
Cindy
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fans of Breaking Bad definitely might like this read. The characters are well-rounded and sympathetic. Even the 'villains' are likeable.
Bookworm ♥
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I HATED THE ENDING!!!!
but other than that it was a cool book:)
Rae Sontheyon
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Holy Smokes! Really?!

This book seemed soo promising based on the book description, however I did not feel it lived up to it's potential until the end and then . . . IT FREAKING THREW ME!! This book was rather hard to get into and kind of strange at times, But it was the end that made it memorable book. Now grant it this book is not one I'd pick up again, but if you want a mind blown "what the heck?!" then this'll do.

The story is told in dual narrative form to help a read better understand and
Amie Morgado- We Stole Your Book Boyfriend
My first read by Amanda Lance and I did enjoy her writing and the story. This is different from what I would normally read but the synop was intriguing and I love reading new authors any chance I can get !! It was very easy for me to relate to Hadley because I was moved out of my hometown 2 months into freshman year in high school , it was hard but I survived and salvaged my wonderful high school years !! Hadley didn't have it as easy as I did , she was a senior and very established in the stude ...more
Kathy Wideman
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: danger, romance
Hadley was forced to move her senior year from Connecticut to Pennsylvania. She was the caption of the girls fencing team; she had friends, now she feels like she has nothing. If feels like she is a freshman all over again. McKay does everything he can to stay under the radar. He doesn’t have any friends. He makes Meth and X. They both feel so alone and like there is no one out there who could understand how they feel or want to be with them, either as a friend or more. James McKay is attracted ...more
Kim
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although this is a YA book, there is nothing light or easygoing about it. The world can be a cold dark place, especially in high school, as this story clearly points out, and I needed a bloody box of tissues at one point- ARGH! But kudos to the author for not taking the easy out with the storyline.

There is plenty of teenage angst and drama for the usual reasons before adding in any of the heavier issues of drug use, dealing, or overdoses. Being uprooted from all her friends as she starts her sen
Tracey (Life and Literature)
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Whether it was his unhappiness I was picking up on or just trying to deflect my own, I knew that if I could squeeze that loneliness out of him, then I could help us both.

When Amanda Lance first contacted me about reviewing A Dark Road, it didn't take me long to say yes. It sounded dark and gritty. And since I have just started watching Breaking Bad I was incredibly intrigued by the premise of the story. This is the exact type of book that I'm drawn to.

Hadley Grayson is new in town. And she's
Camillia (Twenty Three Pages)
Review Originally Posted On: Twenty Three Owls
Visit my blog for more reviews and interviews with authors

When I was offered the chance to review this book, I immediately dropped everything to start reading it simply because it is an Amanda Lance book and after having read and loved Breakdown, I just had to read more from her. I'd also read a lot of the reviews about this book and nearly everyone said that they cried and that they hated the ending. And I love a good book that can make me cry.

Howe
Kelly Mccurdy
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
~~I received this in exchange for my honest opinion~~

I don’t know where to begin this review. A Dark Road is a very powerful book. It has a very strong and very real life problem in its pages. This book deals with life. When parents get the call that they are going to have to up root their family and move somewhere else, it disrupts the normal that you know. But it also make you learn about new people. New places. Ways of life that people lead. It also opens you up to the unknown.

Hadley is the
Curly Carla Celebrity Readers
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s
I recieved this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book started out kinda slow. But picked up towards the middle. It was dark and realistic. You could tell the author did her homework when she wrote this. It is not a story of two people meeting from opposite sides of the tracks and falling madly in love. No, it was a slow simmering of friendship that blossomed and grew steadily. If you are looking for a love story, move along. This went so much deeper than that, I feel. This book had no
Tiffany
This book was dark and sad but different. It was dark because it touched on some nasty things. Emotional abuse and neglect from a parent. Making and selling drugs. Addiction to meth. And some serious depression from both of the main characters.

I liked that the dark and gritty aspects were different and weren't just a copy of pre-existing stories with different details.

The only reason I did not rate this higher is the wording often left me confused. I would have to go back and re-read certain p
Angela(demonsangel) Fitzgerald
REVIEW POSTED ON AUDIBLE

I really enjoyed this story. I found it to be written extremely well. I found the story to be almost real. I connected with the story and the characters. I felt my heart ache for Hadley and James McKay especially at the end. Life for Hadley Grayson will never be the same. Stories like this seem so real, they touch you in ways some might not understand. I LOVED the story Amanda Lance.
I listened to the audio of A Dark Road and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The narrator Hollie Ja
Indies Heart
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
I enjoyed this book. The story line was good, the characters were well developed. I like how McKay is not your typical perfect male but yet Hadley sees him that way. The friendship that evolves between these two is unique, since there are circumstances that keep McKay from being too open with people. Hadley doesn't give up in her quest to know him. Even when things go bad and her twin is dead set against her being anywhere around McKay. The ending was good but I did feel it was a bit qu
Kimmie
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ok now that I'm done crying how is this a romance I will say I did love the book right up to the end that ending was heart wrenching and had my crying how can it end that way if you like sappy endings then this is not the book for you but even though this end was not what I wanted it is realistic as to the horror of what really goes wrong when dealing and making drugs so young adults should read this I hope there is a second book and that they put him in a protection program I can not say much m ...more
Jordan
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it

A Dark Road is an unconventional love story. It’s a dark journey into the world of drug distribution and addiction without being too gritty or graphic. Hadley and McKay are a slow burning passion built on understanding at a soul level. It’s beautifully broken, a road to recovery and self discovery, of learning to live, love, and simply be in the moment.
Dj
Oct 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I did enjoy this book however I found it to be really sad. Hadley was just sad all the time and lonely but we never really understand why. Her family seemed pretty great and I loved Simon. James, of good lord that poor sad kid. What an awful life and a waste of his genius. The ending killed me. I did not see that coming at all. I thought reform and a hea but oh was I wrong!!! Overall I did enjoy the book but I felt like I was left wondering a lot.

• What Remains
  • Never Goodbye (Albany Boys, #1)
  • Runaway Ride: Alpha Bad Boy Biker and MC Romance Box Set
  • When Stars Collide
  • Small Town Girl
  • Waiting for Grace
  • A Year and A Day
  • On The Dock
  • Highfall
  • Equipoise (Ennek #3)
  • My Brother, My Rival (My Brother, My Rival, #2)
  • Up For the Chase
  • Broken (Save Me, #2)
  • Tempting Bad
  • Again
  • Soul Ties (Soul Ties, #1)
  • Young Lies (Young, #1)
  • Alone On the Water
A native of New Jersey and lifelong nerd, Amanda Lance completed her Master in Liberal Arts at Thomas Edison State College after her BA in English Literature and AFA in creative writing.

She currently resides in Easton Pennsylvania with her boyfriend and their spoiled dogs. She is a cliché booknerd who is terrible at math, clinically obsessive, and prone to addictive behavior. She may or may not be
“It’s better to not think about the night and how badly I want her, so I let it sort of stew there in my mind instead. And when I get her all to myself again, I’ll be grateful just to see her smile, just to have her with me.
Even if it’s only for one more night.”
22 likes
“Hadley Grayson is my lightning, my speed, my hearts, my candy.
I’ve never tried any of my own products and I’m glad I haven’t.

It might have reduced my tolerance for happy.”
5 likes