Start by marking “Nightingales on Call (Nightingales #4)” as Want to Read:
Nightingales on Call (Nightingales #4)

Nightingales on Call

(Nightingales #4)

From the author of The Nightingale Girls, The Nightingale Sisters and The Nightingale Nurses – perfect for fans of Call the Midwife

1937 sees new challenges for the trainee nurses

Dora and her old enemy Lucy are paired up on the children’s ward for the final three months of their training. The two nurses couldn’t seem more different, but they may have more in common than the
Published April 24th 2014 by Arrow

To ask other readers questions about Nightingales on Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightingales on Call

Start your review of Nightingales on Call (Nightingales #4)
Anne
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As with the other books in this series, Nightingales On Call can be read as a stand-alone novel, but having been a fan of these stories from the very first one, I'd urge readers to get hold of the other books too. Donna Douglas gives enough background information within Nightingales On Call to enable new readers to enjoy it just as much as old fans, but doesn't get too bogged down by things that happened earlier in the series.

This story concentrates mainly on Dora and Lucy who are almost at the
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
As the nurses enter their final year of training, new faces appear and an old nemesis finds herself taken down a notch or two.

Dora and Lucy find themselves roommates and working together on the children's ward. Still proud and arrogant, Lucy is hiding the fact that her father has lost his fortune and she and her mother are nearly destitute. Dora and Nick are working to find the money to be able to be married and the last thing Dora needs is Lucy as her roommate. But, as often happens with trial
Sue
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it

I have read and enjoyed all this series. Although these books can be read individually as a stand alone, its lovely if you read them from book 1 onwards. It doesn't matter as the author gives enough background for you to pick up but you would equally miss out on some things. In MHO anyway.

We have seen these sisters come through thick and thin.

I can't help but admire the author for doing all her research thoroughly this has enlightened me to the past pre NHS. Imagine you on your hands and knees
Dani
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Nightingale book full of interesting characters. The only issue I have is that I would like to have heard more about Helen and Millie who featured in the first three books. And now that Dora and Millie are married, I guess they won't feature so much in the next book, although I hope that they, or their families come back as patients! Saying that, I grew to like the new characters of Effie and particularly Jess. Will be reading the next instalment soon.
Mari Shawcroft
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, loved it! Loved them all! I have read all the books in the series in order. The characters are multifaceted, the stories excellent. I have laughed out laughed out loud, cried, and shouted to the characters my outrage, support, and encouragement. I have been reading and listening to the audio versions together. The audio version is extremely well done.
Amy Gennaro
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series of books that tell about the nurses of the Nightengale Hospital in East London. How they train, how the learn and work, and how their lives mesh with life as a nurse in the 1930's at the preeminent nurses training hospital in London.

You will love the characters and the stories---give it a try- you will love them.
JUNE JOHNSON
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent easy read, loved the story line and would recommend it to everyone.Can't wait to read the next one in the series.

Coming from a nursing family though it is fiction so many of the story lines are so true to life.
Kim
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A charming read. Perfect to de-stress. Sometime all you need is a good cup of tea and to know the worst problems in life are passing exams and cleaning bedpans. I return to this series often, and will continue to do so. It is a perfect literary palate cleanser.
Di Schlenk
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This excellent nursing series continues and the girls enter their third year of study.

Living in close quarters and having diverse backgrounds, feuds and discontent brew.

A wonderful on-site into nursing in the 1930s.

Can’t wait to start the next instalment!
jane
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As expected

Again an excellent read and will be downloading the next in series - Donna Douglas never fails to deliver with each book in this series
Janice Jackson
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Didn't disappoint

Once again an excellent read following the lives of the nightingale nurses and the friendships they had with each other
lindsey simmons
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every bit as good as the others

Totally enthralled with this latest installment of the nightingales. Read it in just over a day could hardly put it down. Another fantastic read.
Mary Elizabeth Morton
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The enjoyment continues! Another fantastic book in a fantastic series! ❤👩‍⚕️📚
Elayne
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
My friend bought me this book for Christmas I thought oh blimey but what a nice little book easy to read might have to read the others
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great read in the series.
Chris Purser
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was very caught up in the story. The characters have developed and the story arc has moved on.
Deborah
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good
Deb
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love turn of the century British nurses

If you liked the BritishTV series Call the Midwife,you will love these stories. Set in the same place in London.
Debbie
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I am finding this series addictive.
Tiffany Johnstone
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. I love Dora even more than ever. She is an amazing character. I love the introduction of Jess. It’s an amazing story.
Kate Pavey
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Definitely recommend, couldn't put all these books in this series down. One of my favourite series I've ever read.
Paula
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant read I’m loving this series too now on to the next book
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Another enjoyable visit to the nurses and students of the Nightingale hospital with the addition of a couple of new characters
Danielle
Jul 24, 2020 rated it liked it
No my favourite of books but a nice conclusion to some ongoing storylines and some nice news ones
Lyn F
Aug 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please tell me that Alf is Finally gone for good?
Rosalie
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this series but I think it is completed.
Catherine Martin
Not the best one I've read ...

This one truly wasn't the best one of the series. Rather than continuing the storylines of the main characters from the last 3 books you got a smattering of their stories, then you have a 'let's get to know' the next group of student nurses, and characters. You then get to see what of those new people are plucky, silly, sulky, vain, or in need of a good old fashioned comeuppance.
This spent more time getting the new storylines setup and less time spent finishing the
Julie
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nightingales On Call is the fourth stand-alone installment in best-selling author Donna Douglas’ enchanting and enjoyable series about student nurses in a 1930s London hospital.

Jess Jago has always been desperate to shake off the shackles of her family’s notorious reputation as petty criminals and make her own way in the world. Determined to prove that she is neither a liar nor a crook, Jess wants to find an honest job and be judged on her own merits and capabilities, as opposed to being thought
Sam Still Reading
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of historical medical fiction
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: enjoying the series
I do love the Nightingales series as a comfort read – they’re easy to read, yet entertaining and interesting. As I progress through the series, I’m amazed at the way Donna Douglas expertly weaves in new characters and brings others to the forefront. I am glad though that I’m a little late to the series, because the ending of the book almost felt like the end of the series! There was closure for several characters who have had starring roles in the books so far. However, I’m taking what could be ...more
Leigh
I think part of my fascination with this series is seeing how much health care has changed over the years. The opening hospital scene illustrates that by showing a believed teddy bear ripped from the arms of a sick child and the ward sister ordering Dora to burn it and ignore the child's crying. Then there is the strict visiting hours. Imagine only being able to see your child once a month. I can't even imagine keeping patients in the hospital that long these days they try to get you out of ther ...more

• Christmas for the District Nurses (The District Nurse, #3)
  • A Reunion at Mulberry Lane (Mulberry Lane #6)
  • Snow Angels (Lovely Lane #5)
  • Triumph of the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls #8)
  • A Ration Book Wedding
  • Wartime for the District Nurses (The District Nurse #2)
  • Victory for the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls #5)
  • Christmas with the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls #7)
  • Shipyard Girls in Love (Shipyard Girls #4)
  • Secrets of the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls, #3)
  • Courage of the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls #6)
  • A Christmas Wish for the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls #9)
  • Homecoming (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #18)
  • The District Nurses of Victory Walk (The District Nurse #1)
  • Far From Home (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #2)
  • With Hope and Love (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #17)
  • The Shop Girls of Harpers (Harpers Emporium #1)
  • The Bobby Girls (The Bobby Girls #1)
Welcome to my Goodreads page.

I'm the author of the Nightingale novels, a series of stories set in an East End hospital in the 1930s, published by Arrow.
The first in the series, The Nightingale Girls, follows the lives of three girls from very different backgrounds as they join the Nightingale Hospital as students. The second, The Nightingale Sisters, will be published next spring.
I'm originally

Nightingales (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Nightingale Girls (Nightingales #1)
  • The Nightingale Sisters (Nightingales #2)
  • The Nightingale Nurses (Nightingales #3)
  • A Nightingale Christmas Wish (Nightingales #5)
  • Nightingales at War (Nightingales #6)
  • Nightingales Under the Mistletoe (Nightingales #7)
  • A Nightingale Christmas Carol (Nightingales #8)
  • The Nightingale Christmas Show (Nightingales #9)
  • A Nightingale Christmas Promise (Nightingales #10)
  • Nightingale Wedding Bells (Nightingales #11)