Start by marking “The Unexpected Guest” as Want to Read:
The Unexpected Guest

The Unexpected Guest

Agatha Christie is the most widely published author of all time with her works outsold only by Shakespeare and the Bible. She is regarded by generations of fans as the greatest mystery writer ever, and her novels are read and cherished the world over.

A thriller as well as a puzzler set in a foggy estate in Wales. This mystery opens as a stranger walks away from his ditched
Published 2000 by HarperCollins (first published September 6th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpected Guest, please sign up.
JZ She basically invented the cozy genre, and most mysteries owe a great debt to her inventiveness and plot twists. No horror or suspense involved, or…moreShe basically invented the cozy genre, and most mysteries owe a great debt to her inventiveness and plot twists. No horror or suspense involved, or necessary.(less)

Phrynne
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-books
The Unexpected Guest began life as a play by Agatha Christie. This is the novelized version written by Charles Osborne.

As you read it is obvious that it is derived from a play because the entire novel takes place in one room. Characters arrive and depart from this room, individually or in groups, from one door or another, just as actors would come and go on stage. This does not detract at all from the quality of the writing or the story itself.

Like many Christie novels the mystery is spun out an
Gary
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read every full length novel by the queen of crime I came across this play that has been adapted into a novel. I started to read this book and very soon I knew I had picked a good book to read, I could easily picture this been played out on a stage and it had the usual twists and turns that any Agatha Christie reader would expect. As with most Christie novels the finger of suspicion moved from character to character as more facts were told.
The novel starts with a stranger running his car
Ivonne Rovira
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Like Spider's Web, The Unexpected Guest is yet another play of Dame Agatha Christie’s that was turned into a novel by Charles Osborne. Both of the plays-turned-novels were originally published in 2000 and recently turned into audiobooks; while neither feature Christie’s usual characters of Miss Jane Marple, Hercule Poirot, or Tommy and Tuppence Beresford, both are equally fabulous.

Due to a pea fog, Michael Starkwedder runs his car off the road and arrives at a house, only to find the wheelchair
BrokenTune
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The Unexpected Guest is another play by Agatha Christie that was adapted as a novel Charles Osborne - so in short, it is not that great.

Of course I am peeved that I ended up with this book because it was advertised as an Agatha Christie novel, and it is not, but I am also astounded Osborne got to write several novelisations at all, and all of them on commission by Christie's estate!

He has no feel for Christie's characters.

While I can see that the setting in this novel is a typical Christie count
Vikas Singh
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is based on Agatha Christie play. Charles Osborne has done a wonderful job in bringing alive the play in a typical Christie fashion. The end as in almost all her novels is great and as a reader makes you wonder at the brilliant climax. A Bollywood flick- Dhund is based on this play. Though true to the story line most of he time, the ending in the film is weal compared to the book. One of the best plots by Christie. Awesome read.
Karthick
'Men are really the sensitive sex.
Women are tough.
Men can't take murder in their stride.
Women apparently can.'

A pacy thriller!
Tim Orfanos
Ολοκληρώνοντας την ανάγνωση του συγκεκριμένου μυθιστορήματος της Κρίστι, αμέσως, αναρωτήθηκα το λόγο που δεν το είχα διαβάσει μέχρι τώρα. Πραγματικά, κατά τη γνώμη μου, αποτελεί ένα από τα πιο ουσιαστικά, ανατρεπτικά και πρωτότυπα βιβλία της, στο οποίο, για πρώτη φορά, 'ψυχογραφεί' τόσο εύστοχα και ξεκάθαρα τους ήρωές της (1958).

Tο συγκεκριμένο έργο στη πρωτότυπη μορφή του είναι θεατρικό, και στη προκειμένη περίπτωση, πρόκειται για τη μυθιστορηματική προσαρμογή από τον Charles Osborne, o οποίος
Shobhit Sharad
I commend Charles Osborne for his work on the play The Unexpected Guest, because I can imagine it must be a daunting task to turn the play which entirely occurs in one setting - a study room- into an Agatha Christie novel, who is a master of her work. The book, though understandably rushed, manages to capture all the mystery and surprise which, I’m guessing, the Dame wanted the attendees of the play to experience. Her craftiness was clearly shown in the clever setting and as always she managed t ...more
Rizwan
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
সেবার অনুবাদ কযাসল হাউসের খুনি বইটার অনতরগত নাম-উপনযাসের মাধযমে বইটা পড়া হল, বরতমানে দেশের অনযতম সেরা অনুবাদক সায়েম সোলায়মান ভাইয়ের অনবদয সুলিখিত অনুবাদ দিয়ে । উপনযাসটা সবমিলিয়ে ভালই লেগেছে, কিছুটা টেনে বড় করার অনুভূতি দিলেও শেষমেষ লাসটের টুইসটটা (যা যেকোন করিসটি-কাহিনির মূল আকরষণ) ভাল ছিল, বেশ একটা পয়েটিক জাসটিসের ফিল দিয়েছে । যদিও আমি গলপের মাঝামাঝি থেকেই আনদাজ করতে পারছিলাম এমন কিছুই হবে, তবে কাহিনির উপসথাপনের মুনসিয়ানার কারণে তেমন একটা চমকে না উঠলেও খারাপ লাগেনি, বরং যৌকতিক বযাখযার কারণে তৃপ ...more
Liberty K
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second play after ''Mousetrap'' from the queen of crime Agatha Christie. The unexpected guest was so perfect and haunted and it gave me ''Mousetrap'' feels. The fact that you literally find the killer in the last page made it for me a page-turner.
Katie Doyle
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow wow wow this book is good at giving me blow job mouth because in the last 15 pages my mouth dropped so much so hard i literally thought the book was starting to end when another bomb dropped and it ALL came together and WOW okay very good easy read enjoyed the connection between the characters enjoyed the simplicity and the complexity All in all a goodread
Bookworm007
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot is incorrect: it's the one for Spider's Web. I guess you could say I read "The Unexpected Guest" as an accident, as I thought I would be reading Spider's Web. However, The Unexpected Guest was a very good accident, mind you. The story was fast-paced, had simple and easy-to-read language, and a jaw-dropping ending.

It didn't feature the usual recurring detectives, like Poirot or Marple or Tommy and Tuppence, yet perhaps that's what made this book so intriguing because the inspectors were
Cande ♥
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Queen of Crime did it again.
Nahed.E
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب رائع لأجاثا كريستي مثل كل كتبها
الجميل في كتب أجاثا كريستي أنها تعرف في ماذا نفكر ، ومتي ! بمعني أنها تعرف أن فكرة معينة ستطرأ علي بالك في هذا الوقت بالتحديد
فتشك في شخص معين ، وتراها تدحض كل شكوكك في كلمة واحدة
لتجد المتهم آخر شخص يمكن توقعه
وطبعا لا يوجد ملل علي الإطلاااق
Fedra
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Εδώ δεν έχουμε την Άγκαθα Κρίστι του Ένα πτώμα στη βιβλιοθήκη ή τον Ηρακλή Πουαρό που έρχεται και στο τέλος λύνει το μυστήριο. Αυτό το βιβλίο καθότι θεατρικό έχει περιορισμένα πρόσωπα, κάτι σαν τη Η ποντικοπαγίδα. Ο Απρόσμενος επισκέπτης κατά τη γνώμη μου είναι το ίδιο κλασσικό crime και λυπάμαι που δεν το είχα διαβάσει νωρίτερα. Σίγουρα σας το προτείνω, το έχω ήδη συστήσει σε διάφορους φίλους.

Τα πρόσωπα του έργου λίγα και η αφήγηση του Charles Osborne βοηθάει, προσθέτει κάτι παραπάνω ώστε να απ
Kadir Kılıç
İlk okuduğum Agatha Christe romanı olan Ölüm Sessiz Geldi gibi bu kitapta bir malikane de geçiyor ve tüm karakterleri tanıyıp ondan sonra kimin cinayet işlediğini bulmaya çalışıyoruz. Bu kitabın Ölüm Sessiz Geldi'den farklı olarak Hercule Poirot gibi müthiş bir dedektif barındırmıyor ve olay polislerin gözünden değil de ev halkının gözünden anlatılıyor.
Burçak Kılıç Sultanoğlu
Yine süper bir Agatha Christie romanı... Aslında olaylar sonuna kadar tahmin edilebilir gibi geliyor ama yazar son hamleyle bizi kalbimizden vuruyor :D Evdekilerin hepsi de psikopat.. Kimse kimseye güvenmiyor falan ilginç bir aile :))
Paul Nash
4 stars
This is why I love GR! Forgot I had read this until I saw it someone's status. Even though Christie herself didn't write this, it was her story and Osborne did a great job at putting the pieces together!
Another great mystery in the Agatha Christie collection.
Ylli Kollçaku
Agatha Christie is sooo good, I can't get enough of her
Mimi 'Pans' Herondale
Spoilers below

So who committed the murder? Please com!ent below if you know. Was it Jan or MacGregor?
Noha Badawi
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I'll be damned !!
THIS BOOK CRASHED INTO MY LIFE WITH NOT EVEN A RED ALARM BEFOREHAND!!
I went to the store, saw it, read the first two or so pages and DANG that was it I couldn't put it down until I was done with it.

I'm now definitely a HUGE Agatha Christie fan; I can tell I'll be reading a lot of her books soon.
Jasmine Darcy
4.75 stars.Keeps you guessing. Never read a mystery with so many suspects. Unputdownable. Highly recommend this if you love mystery/crime/thriller.
mmart
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Son ana kadar beyin yakan bir cinayet romanı. Tam evet katil bu dediğimiz anda Agatha bizi ters köşe yapıyor. Son ana kadar her bir sayfada heyecanı doruk noktasına taşıyan bir roman. Ve farkını ortaya koyan bir cinayet romanı olmuş. Cidden evdeki karakterlerin hepsi birbirinden çılgın...
Rose A
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent plot though I could tell what the twist would be a mile away. While this is a decent novelisation, it feels very much like a play and I think would work better as such. Still, it contains Christie's excellent characterisation and understanding of psychology.
Mohamed Said
ههههههههه أغاثا تلعب بالقارئ يمينا و شمالا ثم تخرج له بنهاية غير متوقعة
محمد  جبر
حبكة جيدة
İlkim
Kimin yaptığını düşünsem çok basit geliyordu her şey. Sonra kitap ilerledikçe aklıma ilginç bir fikir geldi ve ta taaa. Bence en iyi böyle bitebilirdi.
AnnaG
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, fiction, mystery
An adaptation of Agatha Christie's play, Charles Osborne has managed to keep the atmosphere of a Christie and build the usual suspense of the unfolding mystery.
Illona
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i know this says i started the 3rd but i didn't. i got to it today and ate it all up. and all i can say is:

WHAT?!
Nikki Nielsen
May 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'The Unexpected Guest' begins on the side of a foggy country road in Scottland. Michael Starkwedder finds himself hopelessly lost on this winding road that seems to lead nowhere when he runs his car into a ditch. He walks to the closest house and although there is no answer to his knock, he sees someone sitting in the library through glass doors. A man asleep possibly? The French doors open to Michael's touch and he has intentions of waking the man up and asking to use the phone, but he is shock ...more
UCAS English 10 H...: February Reading Assignment 1 2 Feb 22, 2018 07:51AM
  • Destination Unknown
Charles Thomas Osborne is a journalist, theatre and opera critic, poet and novelist. He was assistant editor of The London Magazine from 1958 until 1966, literature director of the Arts Council of Great Britain from 1971 until 1986, and chief theatre critic of Daily Telegraph (London) from 1986 to 1991. He is the only author the Agatha Christie Estate has ever allowed to produce adapted works in h ...more