Start by marking “The Unpredictable Consequences of Love” as Want to Read:
The Unpredictable Consequences of Love

The Unpredictable Consequences of Love

When Josh Strachan, newly returned to his home in north Cornwall from sunny California, first meets Sophie Wells, he's immediately smitten. Sophie's pretty, she's funny, she has lots of friends and she clearly loves her job as a photographer, despite the sometimes tricky clients. There's just one problem: Sophie has very firmly turned her back on love. It's nothing persona ...more
Published January 30th 2014 by Headline Review

To ask other readers questions about The Unpredictable Consequences of Love, please sign up.
Lindsay One is published for the USA and one is published for the UK as far as I can tell. I often find that this happens. I thought I'd found a new book by…moreOne is published for the USA and one is published for the UK as far as I can tell. I often find that this happens. I thought I'd found a new book by one of my favorite authors at the bookstore, but it turned out to be a book I'd already read with a different title which had been imported. :( I'm not sure why they do this. The UK one sounds more compelling on the jacket. That is the version I read. (less)

Obsidian
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jill Mansell books are hit or miss with me. I needed some good reads this weekend and just read books til I fell asleep. This was the only sample by Mansell that actually intrigued me, so I ended up buying this. Per usual there is a cast of characters, some misunderstandings, and a HEA for all the people involved. The only reason why I didn't give this five stars is that I thought the reaction of one of the characters to another character butting in on her business was not what we have been show ...more
Elaine
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first thing you need to know is that this book has already been released with the title The Unpredictable Consequences of Love. I hadn’t read it before and assumed at first that this might be a follow-on, but it is the same book.

It is the second Jill Mansell that I have read just lately and I am fast becoming a Jill Fan. I really loved both reads, the other being Three Amazing Things About You. I really loved the setting of this read – St Carys, a seaside resort in Cornwall. Jill really brin
Suzana
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very lovely and light read ... just perfect for this hot summer day :)
Anne
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
The last time I reviewed one of Jill Mansell’s books – Don’t Want To Miss A Thing – I told you all a very long shaggy dog story all about how I lost my love of reading, but Jill Mansell cured me. I won’t go through all that again, but I just wanted to say what a truly perfect writer she is. The blurb makes this book sound very ordinary – but this really is an extraordinary book, and I absolutely loved it.

The central character is, I guess, Sophie – working as a photographer in St Carys, intereste
Fenia
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluffiness
As it says in the cover: 'Just Jill.' I'm becoming quite obsessed with her books!!! ♥ Seriously! All of her characters are always so special and unique,and i love how we always get to see their POVs and their stories and their entanglements. Jill's books are like a mastered beautiful knitting. because each little thing leads to another and the big mess you see at first,makes total sense in the end. Her books are the fluffiest kind. full of different stories and happy endings. ♥
Julie
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook, chick-lit, 2017, romance
Really enjoyed this pleasant, delightful read. Just what I needed with a bunch of stressful life events going on!
Amanda
Jul 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Leona
Oct 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
2.5 stars. Somewhat entertaining, but the characterizations could have been stronger. I couldn't find one character (except for maybe Dot) that I liked or felt compassion for.
Rosie Read
Following her usual pattern Mansell sets us up with two main characters, Sophie and Josh, but surrounds them with a whole host of secondary characters that we get to know as well as our hero and heroine. What I love most about Mansell is the knack she has for weaving together the multiple threads of her novels so that no character's story really seems peripheral and despite the large number of there is never any confusion over who’s who.

The story is split between most of the characters POV at s
Jane Stewart
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable stories.

I enjoyed reading about the various characters. I liked the happy romantic endings. There were no detailed sex scenes other than one referred to but nothing shown.

AUDIOBOOK NARRATOR:
I’d prefer a different narrator. Beverly Crick used a cockney and/or Irish accent for some characters. It bothered me. I love some British accents, but not these.

BOOK TITLE:
This book was published with different titles: The “Unexpected” Consequences of Love and The “Unpredictable” Consequences of Lo
Tina
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Fairly typical example of Mansell's work in that it is a musical chairs of light-hearted romances where in the end, everyone has been sorted out in various happy pairs. All told from multiple POVs.

The main couple is Sophie and Josh. She is a photographer who doesn't date and he is the handsome entrepreneur who has his eye on her. Sophie has some past heartache that she is still working through, which is told in a great flashback. Josh really wants to start something with her but needs to get pas
Angie
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely, fun read typical of Jill Mansell. It was the right book at the right time I guess, because I loved the whole thing. The characters were great, setting was wonderful, and I enjoyed it so much. If you are a Mansell fan or enjoy british chick-lit, this book is for you!
The Glassed And The Furious
Feb 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
If you’d ask me how I ended up with a copy of this book on my shelf, I wouldn’t know what to tell you. I honestly don’t remember what made me pick out this book. But after endless months just waiting abandoned on my shelf I finally picked it up and read a story, I thought I would love.
Only I didn’t love it. I didn’t even really like it. There are many factors that triggered this dislike though:
First of all I think Mansell’s biggest problem is that her characters are superficial, stereotypical a
Julie
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sparkling like a glass of vintage champagne and delicious like a box of Belgian chocolates, The Unpredictable Consequences of Love is the phenomenal new romantic comedy from the fabulous Jill Mansell!

When managing a band of bratty teenagers had grown wearisome, Josh Strachan had realised that he had had enough of his life in Los Angeles. Fed up of being taken for granted and looking for a new challenge, Josh decided to bid farewell to the City of Angels and headed back to St. Carys in Cornwall t
Amy
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes the what you think you want least is the very thing you need most.

I'm pretty sure that was on a fortune cookie I once received.

For Sophie, love is of no interest whatsoever. She wants nothing to do with it, and has convinced herself that she is happy and content living alone, free from any emotional entanglements, aside from her friends and family.

When Josh first sees her, he immediately is smitten. Josh, though, is looking for the happily ever after. He wants marriage and children; he
Karen
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been a fan of Jill Mansell’s books ever since her first novel, Fast Friends in 1991, and she is one of the few authors whose books I will always buy regardless. I very much enjoyed her last book, Don't Want to Miss a Thing, and have been eagerly awaiting the next one. A new book is always a treat worth waiting for and this, her 25th novel, is no exception.

The story is set in the fictional, idyllic sounding St Carys in Cornwall. The main character, Sophie is a photographer and has moved to C
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’ve previously read and enjoyed Jill’s other novels, and this one was no exception. I absolutely love the cover, the yellow is so beautiful and sunny and made me want to sit down and spend my time reading Jill’s latest release.

In the beautiful town of St Carys, Sophie is determined to keep the past behind her, and she has no interest in letting any man into her life, something new arrival Josh can’t understand. Josh has arrived in St Carys to run the family hotel, and he’s also been duped into
Sherry
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Fans of Jill Mansell know what they are going to get when they pick up one of her novels—a romance between likeable characters (or make that romances—usually there’s more than one couple featured in the story), humor (generally linked to social awkwardness of some kind), and a happy ending. And that’s the case in The Unexpected Consequences of Love as well.

Ostensibly the novel is the story of Sophie, a photographer with an aversion to relationships due to a mysterious past that she refuses to d
Leone (She Reads too Much Romance)
I do not think it matters on whether or not you read a book written by the author for the first time or you consider yourself a devoted reader to Mansell as I do, it's easy to see why so many readers fell in love with her, as let's face it no one does light-weight romance better than Mansell!

A few years ago I was on the search for a better romance. I was little burnt out on the erotic content of books and all the cheesy romance remarks that can often times be found in certain romance novels. Bas
Kelly
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I find that there are two distinct Mansell voices. Earlier novels seem to be a bit ... Picasso. Bold portraits of over exaggerated and odd characters that are too much, while later novels have become a bit more Monet. Contextual and subtle landscapes that are intricately woven and incredibly interesting, revealing hidden aspects.

This novel was very similar to the last four or so novels in both characterization, plot and structure. This new cast of characters still managed to offer something diff
Meredith Schorr
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley for the complimentary copy of this book. I'm so sorry it took me so long to write the review!

I really enjoyed this book. It was only my second book by the author, but most certainly will not be the last. It was utterly charming. I loved how it was not only about a single couple, but more of an ensemble cast - like a soap opera. I would say Tula and Riley's story was my favorite, but Sophie and Josh were so likable as well. And the "older" couples were equally fun to watch
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
What can I say? I'm a sucker for Jill Mansell's books! They are relaxing, fun, real and romantic and heartwarming. A must read in my opinion.

After reading this book I Googled St Carys and it's as beautiful as I imagined, I'm so adding it to my "places to visit" list.

All the stories of all the characters touched me deeply as always especially Dot and Lawrence's story. Sophie's story was very sad and I was really happy for Tula and Riley.

I was SO happy to find out what happened to Martha and Tony
Michelle
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Jill Mansell. Never disappoints ❤ ...more
Mary Pimbblet
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a nice light read, unpredictable in a predictable sort of way. It explores some heavy themes without ever getting to deep and depressing, and while you always know the romances will work out in the end, it's quite fun seeing the twists and turns on the way.
Sandhya
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great, feel good romance. I love books with multiple couples story lines weaving into one, I fell in love with everyone. I only wish that there was more!!
Sharlene
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story had a little less of a mix up of characters than some of Jill's books, and multiple romances with hopeful happy endings. It was a quick, easy read. Loved it!
Amber
I didn't expect much from this title and it still let me down. It's basically a soap opera, but without the luxury of tension. From start to finish this was a bore and a disappointment.

Admittedly, some of the characters do have some depth, but they're trapped in sub-par writing, where the author can't seem to write adult only weird 30 year olds acting like teenagers with teenage level story telling. Their backgrounds aren't shown nor told in the correct way to make them feel like they matter. T
Best Crime Books & More
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I received this latest offering by Jill Mansell I was a little surprised. The book itself looked like it was a little smaller than previous offerings. After a little scout on Amazon I saw that it was actually only marginally shorter than her two latest books. Not deterred I started the book and within the first few pages was once again transported into the wonderful fictional word Jill created. Sophie at first glance appears to be the main character but in this book, by the end I felt like ...more
Amanda
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Unexpected Consequences of Love
By Jill Mansell
THE BLURB

Sophie has no interest in finding love. But what happens when love finds her?

Sophie Wells is a successful photographer with a focus on putting the past firmly behind her. When Josh Strachan returns to the seaside town of Cornwall from the States to run his family’s hotel, he can't understand why the fun, sexy girl has zero interest in letting him—or any man for that matter—into her life. He also can't understand how he's been duped into

• White Wedding
  • Calling Mrs Christmas
  • Verkikkerd (Verkikkerd #1)
  • A Vintage Wedding
  • Creature Comforts
  • Zoek het maar uit
  • Just for Christmas
  • Zes maanden zonder
  • The Wish List
  • Must Be Love (Talyton St George, #2)
  • Miss Communicatie (Miss, #1)
  • Take Mum Out
Jill Mansell lives with her partner and children in Bristol, and writes full time. Actually that’s not true; she watches TV, eats fruit gums, admires the rugby players training in the sports field behind her house, and spends hours on the internet marvelling at how many other writers have blogs. Only when she’s completely run out of displacement activities does she write.

Jill Mansell's books have