Start by marking “Snack Girl to the Rescue!: A Real-Life Guide to Losing Weight and Getting Healthy with 100 Recipes Under 400 Calories” as Want to Read:

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
From popular blogger Lisa Cain, aka "Snack Girl," a common-sense guide to healthier eating and weight loss, including 100 Weight Watchers-friendly recipes. Since 2009, Lisa Cain has been blogging at Snack-Girl.com about how to make healthy changes in your diet and lifestyle. Her mission is to share the secrets and recipes that have helped her stay fit and healthy, without ...more
Published April 15th 2014 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Snack Girl to the Rescue!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snack Girl to the Rescue!

Sara J. (kefuwa)
Borrowed this from the library (yaey Overdrive account!) for healthy snack ideas and cos I thought the cover was cool (haha)... avocado toast noms... read through the first part (background and her foray into losing weight = fairly interesting reading) and skimmed through the rest where she goes through diet fads (like her I don't believe in fad diets but like going through them to keep good & chuck the silly) and deceptive info on food packaging (actually in an ideal world I would like to e ...more
Leanne Shirtliffe
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book with superb, easy-to-make recipes. I've cooked at least 10 in the past months, and I've made all of them at least twice with the exception of the chili recipe, which I didn't love. The rest are superb, and have me loving vegetables!

The only thing I don't like is the index, which is poorly done. It searches more by recipe title than by key ingredient.

Still, this is a perfect book to read if you want to throw out diets and just start eating healthily for life.
Colleen
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm inspired. I'm hungry.
Teena in Toronto
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like reading books about getting healthy and this one caught my eye.

This book is split into two parts. The first part is about encouragement and guidance:

* Healthy weight and healthy image - various diets, weight loss pills, prepackaged foods/shakes/cleanses, journaling, etc.
* Healthy cooking - utensils, costs, supermarket versus organic, getting your family to eat healthy, etc.
* Everyday temptations
* Emotional eating
* Exercise
* Food marketing - packaging, buzz words, processing, labels, etc.
Elizabeth
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've never heard of the popular blog, Snack Girl, before but was quite interested in this cookbook when I read about it. Snack Girl to the Rescue! by Lisa Cain is filled with "easy, delicious food for breakfast, lunch & dinner". 100 recipes under 400 calories.

I must not have read the description well because for some reason I assumed this was a cookbook of snacks. I was happy to find actual meal ideas within the pages. I also enjoyed the fact that the first third of the book is more about he
Rena
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
Lots of good recipes, just one problem. WHERE ARE MY PICS? I can't stand a cookbook without pictures. The recipes could be the greatest in the world, but unless I can see what it's supposed to look like, you've lost me. Maybe I'll go back to it one day?
LaToya
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Beginners who would like to get in shape
Recommended to LaToya by: NetGalley
Shelves: arc
Prior to reviewing Snack Girl to the Rescue, I had not heard of Lisa Cain's Snack Girl blog, http://www.snack-girl.com/. Cain divides the book into two halves, with the first part focusing on Encouragement and Guidance, and the second part focusing on healthy recipes. Cain provides a great non-judgmental platform for anyone interested in learning how to be healthier with this book. Though many of the things Cain mentions in the book are well known by those who are healthy eating connoisseurs, sh ...more
Chris
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: z2014-read
Snack Girl to the Rescue! You know that friend we all have that manages to eat healthy ALL THE TIME with no effort at all? Well, Lisa Cain is 'that' friend. I've followed her blog for a while and always find something easy, delicious and healthy to eat. I was so excited to get a copy of this book to review and I really liked it.

Lisa writes like she is your best friend that just dropped by to say hello and give you a few quick tips about whatever you are eating. The recipes are literally no muss
JoJo Sutis
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book!!!
I have been on a weight-loss journey for over a year now to lose 100 pounds…(I’ve lost around 70 as of this review) and I’m always looking for new sources of information and inspiration. I am so thrilled to have discovered Snack Girl.
This book is a phenomenal resource…full of tips and recipes.
I love that Lisa shares her own personal story of health along with giving readers the low-down on all the good, bad and ugly methods out there (scary!)
This book is practical a
Amy
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Finally! A book about healthy eating that doesn't try to make you feel bad about yourself. Snack Girl To The Rescue is filled with wonderful tips about eating healthy without making a reader feel guilty for every misstep along the way. It's from a woman who understands the difficulties many women deal with every day and gives small and simple suggestions to start becoming healthy without completely changing your life in 24 hrs. Filled with wonderful and affordable recipes and personal experience ...more
Lisa Cain
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book to be accessible for people who are trying to lose weight, eat healthy, and enjoy food. I hope it is funny, encouraging, and inspiring.

The book is filled with stories (my own and others) from people who have learned from their healthy journey and 100 recipes to give you a practical way to start now.

My story is about trying a bunch of restrictive diets and finding that I couldn't do them. My solutions are realistic and you can pick the book up - find your most common stumbling b
Katie
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a really great book. Originally I got it to just peruse the recipes, but once I actually started reading the text, I was hooked. Info about food/eating related books, info about nutrition, food marketing, emotional eating, etc... Got some helpful hints (books to read, apps to check out) and highly recommend. The recipes were an afterthought and none really caught my eye (except for the Lemon Drop Martini!)
Kristen
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I love Snack Girl's blog and read it regularly so you know I love her and her recipes. The book was funny and enjoyable to read but a bit of a disappointment for someone who isn't just starting out with healthy eating. Not a lot of new & useful information. I'll try some of the recipes as I know she tests them all but I'm glad I borrowed it from the library instead of buying the book. I'll stick with the humorous, useful blog.
Tammy
Nov 29, 2013 rated it liked it
2.5/5 stars. Snack Girl's guide to eating well and staying healthy. She includes tips for making good choices and basic, simple, healthy recipes.

My one complaint is that she talks briefly about substituting exercise for anti-anxiety medications without noting that is not a cure-all for everyone. Some people actually need their medications.

(Provided by publisher)
Cleokatra
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Interesting book. I'm looking forward to trying some of the recipes. Many of them aren't going to work for me though because they are HUGE! I never need to make 10 or 12 or more servings of anything. Maybe this book would work better for people cooking for a very large family.
Corinnagoodwin
Sep 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
worthless!!!! most recipes shave you make a full size snack, but then you look at the fine print and it's 2-4 serving meaning if you eat what you make you are way over the calorie count for the day. Pinterest has better meals tips than this book.
M J
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, library
I really love Lisa's reasonable take on gaining a healthier life. She's not a fanatic and her advice is something anyone can incorporate. Her recipes sound really great too. Not too complicated or too many odd and fake ingredients. I'm looking forward to trying some out!
Louise
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
enjoyed her style of communication. Copied and have used several of the recipes and suggestions
Melissa Ann
Jul 11, 2014 rated it liked it
It was a bit of a mixed bag for me, I loved the being of the book, the advice and the style of writing but most of the recipes fell flat for me.
Anna
Mar 27, 2016 added it
Meh. None of these recipes are inspiring or look particularly good.
Ellen Gerstein
Dec 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Felt like a lot of common sense to me but there is probably a large audience for whom this is news. In that case this is a great no nonsense realistic guide to getting healthy.
Janis Knecht
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Snack Girl's approach is practical and affordable.
Janice
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Janice by: Library find
Shelves: self-help
About half the book is motivational and the other half recipes. I like the author's sense of humor, and I like a few of the recipes. Will try making more of the recipes.
Mckinley
May 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking, diet, non-fiction
First part about dieting and such; second part are recipes. Some of these are meals and not snacks, recipes are organizes as breakfast, mains, sides, snacks and desserts.
Sally Strong
Nov 15, 2014
sheryl kayes
Jan 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Lisa Cain is the founder of Snack-Girl.com, an award winning website about healthy eating and losing weight. Her book, Snack Girl to Rescue!, came out in April and has 100 simple, delicious recipes under 400 calories that won't break the bank.
More about Lisa Cain