Start by marking “Benny Uncovers a Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #19)” as Want to Read:
Benny Uncovers a Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #19)

Benny Uncovers a Mystery (The Boxcar Children #19)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  1,710 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Benny figures out some puzzling events in a department store.
Published January 1st 1991 by Albert Whitman Company (first published July 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Benny Uncovers a Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Benny Uncovers a Mystery

Irene
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged kids
Shelves: children
Even though I still have more Boxcar Children books to read (I plan to read all 19 of the original series), I actually feel a bit sad knowing that this is the last book of the series written by Gertrude Chandler Warner.

I haven't read all the books in the series yet, but this book differs from many of the others in that not all of the children are present for the mystery. Some of the earlier books do focus more on Benny, but Henry and the girls were at least always around. In this book, Benny is
zapkode
{my thoughts} – This book is based mostly on two boys named Benny and Henry Alden. It starts our with them and their sisters sitting on the grass flipping through the newspaper trying to find a job for the summer. Benny finds a job he is interested and calls only to find out that the job has already been taken. A short while later he and Henry head into town to see if they can get a job at one of the local stores. They visit a few different places and are continually told no, finally they go to ...more
Jon
This book really felt like Ms. C-W was wrapping things up with the series, setting everyone on their final path with even Benny getting a job and growing up.

Being the last of the original series written by Gertrude Chandler Warner, I think it's a fitting end of the books for me as well, considering I never read any of the plethora of Boxcar Children spin-offs that were written after GCW's passing. Granted, I didn't start reading them until the early 80's when I was in 2nd grade, she was long go
Emily
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This was the last book in the boxcar children series which was written by the original author, so we've decided this will be a good time for our 5 year old to move on to a new chapter book. I thought the book itself was ok. I had been hoping for a better send-off for the series, but maybe Gertrude Chandler Warner didn't know this was the last boxcar she would write. I never thought the books were amazing, but my 5 year old loves them.
Chrissy
Oct 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
By the time I got to this book, I was wondering whether Henry ever graduated from Adams College, whether Jessie was old enough to either attend college, become a secretary, or get married, (in recognition of the times the book was written), if Benny was ever going to stop being such a little scamp... but it doesn't matter, because it's the Boxcar Children, and I loved this series so much as a kid.
Ashle Oaks
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it
This story was okay. I liked how there was a wider range of emotions and how someone actually resented the Aldens for their wealth, power, and privilege. I didn't care for the ableism in the beginning and how the girls weren't really in the story much. I also liked how it was a realistic portrayal of what it's like to deal with coworkers and customers.
Anna
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The very last of the original series written by Gertrude Chandler Warner. I don't think I'll re-read any others. In this one, she leaves it open-ended to be her last because the kids are more or less separated and didn't have a mutual adventure, and Henry is going off to college. Clever.
Jordanna
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: boxcar-children
This is a book about two boys named Benny and Henry who get a job at a store. Then one a vase goes missing. Many other problems happen after that. Benny works on the mistery. In the end Benny solves the mistery.
Meredith
Very good story. One mystery after another.
Ashley Bowen
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Benny is soooo cute !!!! :):)
Roger Fisher
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is from the Boxcar Children series and follows a young boys adventures while working in a department store. It will make a good read for fourth to sixth grade readers.
Fantastical Geek (Atarashii Sekai)
Stacie
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Benny gets his name in the title! Well, we see who the favorite is. Henry and Benny get a job where there is a mystery afoot.
Rebecca
This was my favorite series growing up. I read every book I could get my hands on. I probably read about a hundred, though I know I did not read the later ones in order.
Lara
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I like that it wasn't really a mystery. It was a big thing that they had to find out. And...Henry and Benny got a job!!!
Linda Pearl
Dec 27, 2011 rated it liked it
its fine
Jibin
Oct 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
i didnt really like this book because it had only one main character not all the four characters and there was no real mystery

jibin
Aug 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
great when ur little
Caleb
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I Liked Benny uncovers A mystery
Wendolyn
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Per Wikipedia, last one written by original author before she passed away in 1979.
Elevetha
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
The Boxcar Children = most read series between the ages of 6 and 9 for me. I think of these fondly. Every child should read this series.
Rivka Ray
One of my favorite childhood series. I read over a hundred of them. The first 50 or so were in order; after that I read whatever book I could get my hands on :)
Partridge Public
Sep 24, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: JF War
Shelves: juniorfiction
Warner, Gertrude C.
K.
Apr 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, middle-grade
Benny never can keep his nose out of other people's business.
Srivardhan Ramesh
Mar 03, 2011 rated it liked it
interesting mystery but a bit childish.
i would rather recommend this book for 10-year olds
Anna
This is the last of the Boxcar Children books actually written by Gertrude Chandler Warner.
Willie E. Mathis, Jr.
Bad.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm it was not very good at all. It was really confusing for a little kid in 3rd grade. But the other boxcar children are really good. Nyah Mathis.
Jun 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: boxcar-children
Yeah! A Boxcar Children book starring my favorite character, the object of my affection, Benny. Don't really remember the story but I'm sure I liked the fact that it focused on that cutie pie.
Ethan Richardson
Oct 08, 2011
  • Mandie and the Hidden Treasure (Mandie, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)
  • Santa Claus Doesn't Mop Floors (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #3)
  • The Secret at Lone Tree Cottage (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, #2)
  • The Swamp Robber (Sugar Creek Gang, #1)
  • Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic (Grandma's Attic, #3)
  • Kristy and the Haunted Mansion (Baby-Sitters Club Mystery, #9)
  • Too Many Ponies (Pony Pals, #6)
  • The Clue in the Embers (Hardy Boys, #35)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Adventure in the Country (Bobbsey Twins, #2)
Gertrude Chandler Warner was born in Putnam, Connecticut, on April 16, 1890, to Edgar and Jane Warner. Her family included a sister, Frances, and a brother, John. From the age of five, she dreamed of becoming an author. She wrote stories for her Grandfather Carpenter, and each Christmas she gave him one of these stories as a gift. Today, Ms. Warner is best remembered as the author of THE BOXCAR CH ...more
More about Gertrude Chandler Warner...

The Boxcar Children (1 - 10 of 145 books)
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)
  • Surprise Island (The Boxcar Children, #2)
  • The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #3)
  • Mystery Ranch (The Boxcar Children, #4)
  • Mike's Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #5)
  • Blue Bay Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #6)
  • The Woodshed Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #7)
  • The Lighthouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #8)
  • Mountain Top Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #9)
  • Schoolhouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #10)