Start by marking “The Memory Cure: How to Protect Your Brain Against Memory Loss and Alzheimer's Disease” as Want to Read:

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
"Credentials don't come much loftier than Fotuhi's."

--Washington Post

"The book is a message of hope and reassurance for laymen, especially aging members of the baby-boom generation alarmed by all the attention being paid to Alzheimer's and imagining worst-case scenarios for themselves."

--Washington Times

Dr. Majid Fotuhi, one of the world's foremost experts in the field of
Published March 12th 2004 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published November 30th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Memory Cure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memory Cure

Kathy
Oct 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
I had started reading The Memory Bible by Gary Small before I found The Memory Cure on CD to listen to on a road trip. At first, I kept thinking I've already read this. They are both easy to understand and have good ideas for keeping your brain working. I will have to get a hard copy of "Cure" so I can study better his 10 step memory protection plan. My younger sisters give me good counsel when they tell me not to quit playing tennis. Our brains need physical and social activities to stay health ...more
Ann
Kimball
This book reminded me of a Dale Carnegie book. I think the narrator was the same. My philosophy in life is that many things we do are self-fulfilling prophecies. People create their own realities in their head. I believe it applies with Alzheimer's disease (Old Timer's Disease), in that it can be preventable through living the basics - exercise, good social interaction, and learning to stimulate the mind AND positive thinking. I want to see some studies with Alzheimer's disease increasing over t ...more
Mark Isero
Jul 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: in-kindle
This book keeps things positive. Dr. Fotuhi reminds us that Alzheimer's is a rare disease, that we likely don't have it, especially if we're young, and that we can make choices to lower the risk of Alzheimer's in our future. He is a big proponent of exercise, healthy diet, and supplements, specifically Vitamins E and C. This is a helpful, quick book for people who are experiencing anxiety because of memory lapses.
Jan
Jan 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brain, mental-health
I found this book through my husband at a time when I was working on an Alzheimer's Study. I often reccommended it to the caretakers of our patients and other friends. coincidentally, I waited in a quiet office one time when Dan was visiting another physician, and it turned out to be this author/physician's office.
Crucial to good brain health is working those brain cells all of the time with new projects and new problems and solutions. Also, physical health and activity are important.
Dolly
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Helpful tips for diet to prevent memory loss (5-6 fruits/day; dairy products, bread, veggies daily; fish/twice a week) and exercises to help you remember. Also good to know: 90% of people who worry about memory loss DO NOT have Alzheimer's. :)
T.L. Zalecki
Apr 25, 2007 rated it liked it
I purchased this book to alleviate my fears of having Alzheimer's...luckily it did. And it was also very informative in terms of how memory works in the brain and things you can do to improve your memory...start eating bluberries now! ;)
Al
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it

This s a little dated but still interesting.

It turns out that he 10 things I need to do to avoid memory loss are pretty much he same things I need to do to best enjoy the rest of my life from a fitness viewpoint.
Keiko
Feb 08, 2016 added it
Reviews need to be careful with indicators (high blood pressure, cholesterol, sugar); suggests ketogenic diet may be good.
Jim Johnson
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was chocked full of useful information. The author does a great job of expalining how memory works and how to protect it in layman's terms.
Judi
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Listened to this on audiobook. Full of great information on various memory disorders, symptoms, causes, treatments and prevention.
Jerry