Start by marking “Quit It” as Want to Read:
Quit It

Quit It

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  134 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
At a quick glance, Carrie looks just like everybody else in her seventh-grade class. She gets good grades, acts in school plays, kicks a pretty decent soccer ball, and is a sensational Game Boy champion. But watch her a little longer and Carrie looks very different. She shrugs her shoulder a little too often, jerks her head, coughs and sniffs in uncontrollable bursts. She ...more
Published February 10th 2004 by Yearling (first published February 10th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Quit It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quit It

Bobb
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome when I was in middle school. This book brought tears to my eyes on several occasions. I have found very little information on the author, but due to her accurate depictions of growing up with Tourette's, I would not be surprised if she had the condition herself. (The only inaccuracy I found in the book was that in order to be diagnosed with TS, you need to have motor and phonic tics for no less than one year...not a few months.) The relationship with her fa ...more
Lauren
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in seventh grade right after I was diagnosed with Tourette's. I'm in college now and this book's message still rings true as ever: people's differences make them special. It's cliched because it's true and few books share that message, to preteens, teens, and adults, better than this one. I picked it up thinking it was about a girl with Tourettes. It is. It's also about a rebellious but wise older sister, a phobic 12-year-old, a truly inspiration teacher, a bully with a tough ho ...more
Cheyenne Howell
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-10
I loved this book!!! Carrie is a young girl that has a condition that most of her peers or teachers don't understand, even her parents. She has Tourette Syndrome. This disorder causes Carrie to do things that brings her of great embarrassment. She will cough and sniffle uncontrollable, twitch her head, and shrug her shoulders. However, with the help of her school psychologist Ms. Anderson, she is able to be more comfortable with her disorder.

Ms. Anderson was an inspiration to me. Her character p
Alex
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Quit It, a 176 page book written by Marcia Byalick. It's about a young girl in 7th grade who is just like every other girl feels very insecure due to her diagnosis of Tourette Syndrome. She does well at school, is decent at sports and acts in school plays however there is just one thing that tells tells apart from the other girls. She shrugs often, sniff's way to much and sneezes in uncontrollable bursts. All she wants to do is fit into the crowd and be like every other girl and have people she ...more
Dasiy Anderson
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought this book was quite predictable, but it held my interest. This book wasn't anything special, but it was realistic. I thought Carrie was a one-sided character though. I would recommend this book and it is a good, quick, read.
Ariana Estrada
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! A Must Read!
It describes the life of a middle school girl & how she deals with Tourette Syndrome. Carrie doesn't have the support from her parents (i.e they ignore her disorder) which affects her.
Anna
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about a girl who has a disease called Tourette Syndrome, which basically means that she has uncontrollable tics. She learns who true friends really are, and learns that even though her tics make her different, she can still be the girl that she wants to be. Ms. Anderson is a great support to her, and is probably my favorite character.

This was an okay book because I didn't love the inappropriate things in it. There was some language and inappropriate flash back scenes
Maddy 11-12
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was great! It makes you think about being in Carrie's position for a while and how hard it would be to have Torrette Syndrom. It's really inspiring to people who see someone and judge people from the first couple looks.It really keeps you thinking. It also does a great job of reminding yourself how important it it to keep all friendships. I recomend this book to anyone whos looking for a book to really keep them hooked on it!
Heather
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is a great fiction book that helps anyone put themselves in the shoes of someone who is challenged with turette syndrome. I would recommend it to everyone who is uncomfortable with not understanding how turette's effects people, or how to react. I think it educates how people with turette's are just like everyone else, they just have some ticks that at times they can't control.
Claire
Aug 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
An interesting insight to living with Tourette's Syndrome. As an aunt to a girl with Tourette's who refuses to acknowledge the fact she has it, I was keen to find out more. This book did not disappoint in that respect.
Elizabeth
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked "Quit It" by Marcia Byalick. It is about a girl who has been diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome and her struggles to live a "normal" life with healthy relationships. I would recommend it to all readers.
Lorra Metko
Oct 13, 2012 rated it liked it
I have a student with Tourette's this year, so I asked our school librarian if there were any fictional books written on this theme. I learned some interesting information about the frustrations of living with Tourette's, especially trying to be a middle school student with Tourette's.
Danella Virtue
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
Very cute read about a girl who has Tourette's Syndrome. I tutored a girl who had Tourette's and it must be extremely challenging to deal with day to day activities. This book helped open my eyes a little more.
Michelle
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I think it's sad how her friends dumped her just beacuse she has the tourette syndrom.I just finished the book but i still don't know why it's called quit it.it was a happy ending because her parents started being normal around her and rebecca moved back to the city.really good book!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Ever wonder what it's like to have Tourette Syndrome?
Helen Beesley
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book about a teen with Tourrette Syndrome. Would be a good classroom read aloud.
Mary
Sep 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
this book is really cool.
Carlotta
I just started it so i don't have that much of an opinion but it seems pretty ok
Lucy
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl with Tourette syndrome. It teaches you about friendship and life...i read this book in a week (i couldnt put it down)
Kate Hastings
Tourette syndrome SLJ 4-8
Carolyn
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quick read, but a great way to understand a bit more about Tourette Syndrome.
Amy Higgins
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
It is AWESOME I am done with it, ans it was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
Donna Zakem
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Big eye opener about kids/teens living with Tourette's Syndrome
Lisalee
Aug 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Great!

This book really touched my heart and i would definitely recommend this book. I hope everyone enjoyed this book as much as i did!
De Niece
Mar 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: manyyy people
OMG THIS BOOK IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD...

BUT NOT AS GOOD AS THE TRUE MEANING OF SMEKDAY!
Raeesa
rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2013
Kaylee Darnell
Sep 10, 2013
Colleen
Sep 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent insight into being a young girl living with tourette's syndrom.
Mira
Dec 05, 2012
Aliyah
rated it it was ok
May 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Dare!
  • The World Belongs to You
  • Curious George Curious You: On Your Way!
  • What Do You Do with a Problem?
  • The Reinvention of Edison Thomas
  • What to Do When You Grumble Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Negativity (What-to-Do Guides for Kids)
  • How to Do Homework Without Throwing Up
  • The Steps (Steps, #1)
  • All Dogs Have ADHD
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • The Girls
Marcia Byalick is a freelance writer who has contributed to The New York Times, Newsday, and Family Circle among many other publications. She is also the content editor for the BeingGirl.com Web site, aimed at girls ages 10 to 15.