Start by marking “Coyote: The Outlander” as Want to Read:
Coyote: The Outlander

Coyote: The Outlander

No one knows where or when the mysterious rips will appear, but from them, Outlanders walk the earth, leaving chaos in their wake.
Coyote, a charismatic bounty hunter, travels the land with her enigmatic partner, Caesar. Together –with the help of magic and technology—the unlikely duo tracks down these dangerous criminals from different worlds. Along the way, Coyote
Published July 21st 2013 by Tip My Hat publishing

To ask other readers questions about Coyote, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coyote

Start your review of Coyote: The Outlander
Bob
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk
There's a version of the old West not taught in schools, one where steampunk contraptions rattle through the streets, one-way rips in the fabric of reality randomly appear, alien Outlanders walk among us . . . and the best bounty hunter around is a cigar-chomping woman by the name of Coyote.

Such is the premise behind Coyote: The Outlander, a fun tale that's also an intriguing reading experience (but more on that in a moment). Chantal Noordeloos deftly juggles her genres here, with a Western tale
Angela Crawford
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
From the Description:

''Being a female bounty hunter, Coyote made men nervous. Being an official, she made them wary. But being the best gunman, or in her case, gunwoman around, Coyote made them downright anxious. The popular consensus was that women shouldn’t be allowed to be bounty hunters, but no one dared say this out loud when Coyote was around.''

~Coyote: The Outlander

No one knows where or when the rips will appear, but they do, and from them, Outlanders walk the earth. Coyote travels
John
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Overall - 4.5 stars
Story - 4.5 stars
Narration - n/a stars
X Factor - 5 stars (for making me like something different)

I've never read any scifi/steampunk/westerns before, so I didn't know if I'd like this book. But I like this author so I gave it a try. I'm glad I did, because I really liked it.

This is cowboys and aliens with a smattering of contraptions, creatures, and culprits. She's known as Coyote and she's a bounty hunter who, with her partner Caesar, tracks down and kills dangerous
Vincenzo Bilof
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
World building is a daunting task for any writer who wants to create an original mythology. Combine the elements of the steampunk genre with a “Western” setting—and throw in a badass heroine with a cool hat—and you’ve got an exciting sci-fi adventure story. A bounty hunter with a troubled past (is there any other kind?), Coyote is a positive example of a female character who doesn’t need typical archetypes to define her actions. There’s no over-sexualization; Coyote is armed with all the wit and ...more
Art Griswold
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-readable-gems
Let's see,
Western? Check.
Bounty Hunters? Check.
Beings from elsewhere? Check.

This book has so many things I enjoy that it was hard to put it down so I could sleep for my job.
The descriptions are vivid and strong enough to pull me right into the story as if I was in the room (invisible of course) and watching a real life movie happening around me.

Each character has been lovingly crafted to pop off of the pages.

Coyote as the lead will grab your heart, make you shy away a bit, and be just a tiny bit
Shaun Meeks
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Finally getting a second to write a review for this one. Read it a little while back and loved it. First off, I have a long time love affair with westerns, but I have been drawn more and more to westerns that offer something a little new and different. And while there are plenty of themes familiar here, they are the kind you want. What's better is the things you don't normally get in the average ones. And Chantal excels with those. After finishing it, I wanted more and more of it, and hope she ...more
David Valdez
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
a little too short but entertaining non the less. I do hope for more Coyote stories from this author. Loved the world she created and the characters involved. I only wish the side stories found on the web were written in the book itself. The book was so short they could have easily been added within it's pages.
Andrew
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
A snappy introduction to the world of Coyote and the woman herself. A blend of wild west, science fiction and steampunk with an emphasis on creating a strong world and character development, this debut left me intrigued as to where Ms Noordeloos will take this twisting tale next.
Stuart Keane
So, my first review in several months. It’s been a busy start to 2015. However, I have managed to fit the odd book in, here and there. I have a glut of reviews to post this week, so let’s begin with a story that goes outside of my normal ‘preferred’ genres. For me, one of the trickiest genres to produce creative material for is the Western. Films are usually hit and miss, TV shows very rarely attempt it and writing? Well, it takes some skill to pull it off. When Coyote: The Outlander came across ...more
Mieneke
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2014
Weird West, or steampunk with a Western flavour, is a sub-genre I'm not that familiar with. I've read several novels and short stories set in a Western setting, but not that many with a steampunk vibe. When I was approached about reviewing Coyote: The Outlander, I was intrigued by this aspect of the story. The fact that the author, Chantal Noordeloos, was also a draw, as I'm always fascinated by fellow Dutchies who can write fiction in English as well as they can in Dutch, as it's a skill I ...more
Eva
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Coyote: The Outlander" is definitely one of the more original urban fantasy novels I've read, and although I didn't used to be into the Wild West as a setting, I have been enjoying the horror subgenre called Weird Westerns for the past few years, so I was excited at the prospect to dive into that kind of a world again.

In this universe, the supernatural monsters are called Outlanders and they can come in many different varieties. Some of them are like nuisances but there are many of them so a
Paul
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
OK, first book read of 2014 and it's a pretty good start to the year.

Coyote is a female bounty hunter in the old West, who travels the country with her companion, Caesar, looking for 'Outlanders', who are aliens or otherworldly beings, that come to Earth through rips. Coyote hunts the ones that are considered bad and gives a pass to those that do no wrong. Added to the mix is the her long-standing hatred of James Westwood, the man she blames for her father's death.

This West is not like the world
Victoria
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Set in the Wild West it is clear that Coyote is a bounty hunter with a difference, not just her gender but what she hunts. Its wild west meets steampunkish sci-fi; not a genre I have ever been enticed into reading but this was by an author I love (her horror is exquisite) and I had to give it a whirl!

Coyote is a great stereo type that does not shy away from that fact, she is a beautiful yet tough woman who goes out of her way to be so. She cannot shake her beauty though, even the “stuff” that
Scott Whitmore
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Part Steampunk, part Western, part Sci-Fi, part Fantasy — and wholly original — Coyote: The Outlander by Chantal Noordeloos (@C_Noordeloos) is a fun read that I finished in a couple sittings this past weekend. As the first of a series, this book serves to introduce the world and characters, doing so without bogging down in exposition.

The setting isn’t exactly the Old West you’ve seen before (and honestly, having been born in Illinois, I don’t consider Indiana as being “west” of anything). True,
Yvonne
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book is like being caught up in a crash of wildebeast. The story picks you up and drags you along on a fantastic journey through the Wild West at an astonishing pace. You get the feeling it gives you all the best sights of the Wild West, with some unexpected twists and turns as well, but with barely a moment's rest to catch your breath or truely enjoy the view. It makes for an amazing trip that at the end makes you wonder why it is over so soon, can I do it again and can I have more ...more
Patricia
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It has been ages since I read a wild-west story, and probably as long since the last sci-fi tale where aliens were not human-eating, apocalypse-bringing fiends. When I learnt that Coyote: The Outlander was a combination of the two, I wasn't sure what to expect.
Suddenly, I was immersed in a world of gunslingers and traditional Wild West ruled by men; or so it seemed.

While the Old West reluctantly acknowledges the arrival of technical revolution and the new era, little it knows of Outlanders
Donald White
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Know your enemy. Charlotte Webb aka `Coyote' is a bounty hunter. She hunts Outlanders, those beings who enter through the rips between worlds. And she has been hired by the Pinkerton agency to track down an especially dangerous one...

The world of this work has a western flavor with a touch of science fiction thrown in for good measure. It is an intoxicating brew, one that will carry you on into the heart of the dream. The main character is tough, yet troubled. In her imperfections, we see her
Edith
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Coyote: The Outlander was the first book i've ever read in english. At first i didn't know what to expect from books written in english, but from the beginning untill the end I was captured by the story. What i found so amazing is the second screen. The music you can find there really takes you to the part that you are reading. It makes you feel like you are really part of the story.

The way she describes Coyote is like you really get to know Coyote as the person that she is. Her thoughts, her
Dennis Rauhe
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Coyote is a very entertaining book about a young woman trying to find her way in world that treats her as the underdog. While reading the book you will get to see how Coyote becomes the woman that she is, the friends that she makes and the enemies that she has. Against the odds she is trying to complete a difficult mission. Also her past follows coyote like a shadow which makes it all more complex then she would wish.

There is also the second screen. An internet page with backgroud stories and
Matthew
Dec 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Can't go wrong with a gun-toting,cigar-sucking,smoke-ring-puffing,buxom blonde bombshell as a heroine. But she does seem to mess with her hat a lot!
Although the ideas kept reminding me of dimension hopping Dark Tower books and I wasn't completely aware whether I was reading an adult or Young Adult book,I enjoyed the story.
A steampunk wild west that's the start of something bigger,and purely for my own private perversions I can't wait until they make a film out of it. Guns,boobs,and corsets,Hell
Annelies
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steam-punk
In Coyote: the Outlander you get a glimpse into an interesting re-imagining of the old west, which is full of otherworldly beings and steam-punk contraptions.

At the beginning of the book, the author struggles a little bit with consistency of viewpoint. Switching between characters is fine, but in this case it was a little confusing. Once the story gets going though, this problems disappears, and you're left with an interesting, exciting tale in an original world. Definitely worth the read.
Jeannie Holbrook
Jan 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Coyote is a bounty hunter in a world where strangeness is more common than not. Its wild west meets steampunkish sci-fi. You would think it wouldn't work, but it does. A refreshing story that I enjoyed immensely and will be eagerly waiting on the next part of Coyote's journey.
Stefana Bisschop-schouten
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Easy to read with lovely characters and a great story. Can't wait for the second book! ......and I want to have a store like that ;)
Jason Williams
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cracking steampunk novel which introduces us to the heroine, Coyote, in what will hopefully be a long series of adventures
Jaime Johnesee
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic steampunk western full of great characters and wonderful writing.
Louise
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Steampunk wild west bounty hunter alien fantasy. So much fun to read. Definitely worth a read. Highly recommended.
Sarah Avory
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For whatever reason I wasn't 100% sure about this book at the start. But once I got into it, I really enjoyed it! So for me, a well deserved five stars. Recommended.
Bryan Bateman
Great beginning of a new saga

Chantal has brought a curious new world to life in her initial entry of the Coyote series. What started as an interesting wild west meets sci-fi mashup became much moire as her characters developed and gained depth. Worthy a read and for me - worthy of picking up the next in the series to see where our heroine's journey leads me!
Sinful Press
May 26, 2015
Margaret Hakala
Apr 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Chantal Noordeloos (born in the Hague, and not found in a cabbage as some people may suggest) lives in the Netherlands, where she spends her time with her wacky, supportive husband, and outrageously cunning daughter, who is growing up to be a supervillain.

When she is not busy exploring interesting new realities, or arguing with characters (aka writing), she likes to dabble in drawing.

In 1999 she