Start by marking “The Boleyn Reckoning (The Boleyn Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Boleyn Reckoning (The Boleyn Trilogy, #3)

The Boleyn Reckoning

(The Boleyn Trilogy #3)

A choice to forever change the course of history.

While English soldiers prepare for the threat of invasion, William Tudor struggles with his own personal battles: he still longs for his childhood friend. But Minuette has married William’s trusted advisor, Dominic, in secret – an act of betrayal that puts both their lives in danger.

Meanwhile, with war on the horizon, Prince
Published July 15th 2014 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Boleyn Reckoning, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alene It could be argued that Henry VIII was a monster himself and so his son might have ended up just like him. My personal opinion is that the author didn…moreIt could be argued that Henry VIII was a monster himself and so his son might have ended up just like him. My personal opinion is that the author didn't subject us to a depressing story but, rather, a human one. These were flawed characters that explored just one possibility of what might have been if Henry had a son. And while I thought Minuette was a classic Mary Sue, I thought William was nuanced, and an example of a person who was the victim of both circumstance and upbringing. (less)

Start your review of The Boleyn Reckoning (The Boleyn Trilogy, #3)
Becca
Aug 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Well. I just wrote a long ass rant about this book but accidentally closed the window. So I'll just say that Minuette is mind numblingly stupid and everything is her fault and leave it at that.
Shay
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
So I don't usually leave reviews on this site, but I just have to get my feelings out about this book because I'm so unbelievably ANGRY. The concept was so good and drew me in immediately but the final book left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe I'm a little too angry about this book to write a coherent list of all I disliked about this book but there's no time like the present, so:

MAJOR SPOILERS

My biggest issue with this trilogy has always been the flatness of Minuette and Dominic. I hate the term
Misfit
This is a hard book to review, since revealing any plot points would be terribly spoilerish, especially for those who haven't yet read the first two books. If you have read book two, you know there's a secret marriage towards the end, and quite of a lot of the events in this book are centered around that secret and the consequences when it is revealed. Talk about stuff hitting the fan...

Lots of surprises and twists and turns in Andersen's alternative Tudor world. Loved it.

Kindle copy obtained vi
Leslie
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the series, well-written historical fiction of Tudors
It’s always a little sad to come upon the end of a series you have enjoyed and yet I’m glad to have finally finished Laura Andersen’s The Boleyn Trilogy with the final book, The Boleyn Reckoning. Knowing how the story has to end considering how the actual history of this time period played out didn’t take away from the interest in this book. I was quite intrigued to see how Andersen plays out her ‘what if’ scenario.

As with the previous two books of the series (The Boleyn King, The Boleyn Deceit
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Laura Andersen Talks About THE BOLEYN RECKONING & Giveaway (Win one out of five copies US Only).

Review also posted at Young Adult Hollywood.

I started this series knowing how some of the things will end but that still didn’t give me any free passes not to cry. I’ve read The Boleyn Reckoning last March and I can still perfectly remember every single thing that I felt while reading this book. It certainly involved ugly sobbing and thrashing till 3AM. I think I will always have this heavy feeling o
Caz
I've given this a B+ at AAR, but I've decided to round up to 5 stars, because feels closer to a 5 star book than a 4 star one.

I've written separate reviews of both The Boleyn King and The Boleyn Deceit - but as this is the first of the three books I've reviewed for All About Romance, I begin the review with a brief overview of the earlier books.

As a long-time reader of historical fiction, I didn’t think a book which explored an “alternative” historical time-line would be my cup of tea. So I
Brittany Rehage
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay.

Deep Breath.

Okay.

I've had a little while to compose myself, and I thought sleeping on it would make the jumble of thoughts in my head make sense. But I won't up just as jumbled and happy and sad and emotional as I fell asleep. I knew going into The Boleyn Reckoning that my heart was going to get crushed. There were too many possible ways for things to go wrong and only a few ways for things to go right. I thought I was prepared. I don't think I've ever been so wrong.

Dominic and Minuette
~Bellegirl91~
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After 42 pages of this book being torture and getting harder to put down as the story went on until the last 4-5 chapters or so and up until the very last page, my heart now feels like it's been torn out of me and shattered into a gazilion, bazillion, million pieces. And as much as I love Tudor history, I surprisingly and absolutely LOVED this alternate historical fiction that answered one of MANY, MANY, MANY mysterious historical questions, "What if Anne Boleyn gave birth to the son Henry had d ...more
Lisa
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

The Boleyn Reckoning was without a doubt one of my most anticipated releases of 2014, and believe me, it was worth the wait! This book easily rates as one of my best reads this year, and I highly recommend the entire trilogy. It is well crafted, thought provoking, and terrifically entertaining. I was thrilled to learn that Andersen already has a new book in the works, and I eagerly await it and all future releases from this very talented author. She has definitely earned a spot on my '
Erin Arkin
All the stars & tears and now I need to collect myself and come up with a coherent review.

The Boleyn Reckoning is the third (and sadly, final) book of The Boleyn Trilogy series and to say I was excited when I heard this was up on Netgalley would be a HUGE understatement. The second I got my approval, it was moved up on my list because I NEEDED (yes, needed) to know what happened to Minuette, Dom, William and Elizabeth.

BE WARNED: There will be spoilers below. If you haven’t read books one,
Hillary
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much that it took me along time to read because I did not want to end . I am so happy that it ended the way it did because it had a happy ending . but I i am not going to tell what the ending was because I want other people to be able to read the book without spoiling it for people . I will be reading more book by this author in the future . I cried when the book was over because was such a great book. This book keep me guessing throughout the whole book i never know what wa ...more
Liz
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was an excellent end to the trilogy. Honestly I almost DNF the book after chapter 21 & had a whole 2 star review written in my head. Thankfully I finished the book, because my review is entirely different. It is so hard to write this without giving away spoilers! There is one fault I still have, instead of saying I hate what the author did to all the characters, I amend that to saying I hate what she did one character. The author alluded to the end of the trilogy in her note at the beg ...more
Ruby
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Kelly | xoxo, Kelly Nina
The good thing about staying up until roughly 2 am to finish this book is that nobody was around when the ugly crying started. All the feels. ALL THE FEELS. Brilliant ending to an amazing series. I need to be done with the Tudor era but this is an addiction I have no plans on ending anytime soon.

Full Review at...

Brenna
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Make sure you don't have anything else to do when you start this last book the the Boleyn King series. If you enjoyed the first two books, you will squirm, cheer, cry, and love this one.
Characters do things under pressure that made me wish it could have ended a different way, but it is realistic to the time period. Thank you for a wonderful finish, Laura Andersen!
Susan
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now that's the way to end a trilogy! I am very familiar with the real Tudors and their courtiers, but with this alternative history I was on the edge of my seat. One thing to nitpick...Frances Brandon, Duchess of Suffolk, Jane Grey's mother would be the first cousin of Henry VIII's children, not their aunt. She was the child of Henry VIII's sister Mary.
Alexa
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
FIRST THOUGHTS: What a decisive, well-planned ending to this series! I'm a little overwhelmed by all the feelings, good and bad, that this book brought me. But I really think it's worth reading, in spite of the pain and the anger and everything terrible that people need to go through to get there.
Lori
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FANTASTIC!!! I'm so sad that it's over... this series is a MUST read for any Tudor fan!!! And what an ending... WOW I'm still recovering!!!
Katie Lee-Kearns
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
*Spoilers*

WILLIAM DESERVED BETTER.
How did he turn from such a nice person who loved his friends and family into a rapist, torture loving, vengeful, idiotic monster?? AND BECAUSE OF MINUETTE WHO IS THE BIGGEST MARY SUE F ALL TIME??
Dominic was annoying as hell and him even thinking about rebelling against the throne was so out of character for me. He was built up as a noble character who hated being judged for his ancestor's past actions but THOUGHT about repeating them just for his love interest?
Kaylee
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, this was definitely the best book of the trilogy. It was way more messed up than I could have guessed from the tone of the first books. But I really enjoyed it. Laura Andersen didn't shy away from morbidity, pain, and despair at all in this conclusion and I'm left feeling pretty unsettled and sad.
Pamela Howell
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is conclusion to a wonderful series
- what if Anne Boleyn did NOT fall from grace & her son lived???
Book 1 Boleyn King - 2 Boleyn Deceit and 3 Boleyn Reckoning
Bonnie-ann
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible conclusion to one of the best trilogies that I have read in a long time !! Note to readers: you must read the first two books before reading this one; knowledge of the characters and presumptions is very much assumed. Besides, you're missing out if you don't read "The Boleyn King" and "The Boleyn Deceit."

Quick refresher... Anne Boleyn had a son (after the birth of Elizabeth) and therefore outlived Henry VIII. Henry IX, known as Will by his sisters and friends, is King of Engl
Oct 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I was disappointed with this final book in the trilogy. The first was good, the second was better, but unfortunately the third just fell flat on it's face. Where was the brilliantly written Elizabeth in this novel? Her character took a back seat and she wasn't portrayed anywhere near as politically astute as she was in the previous novels. Although the end result was what I had thought (and hoped) it would be for England's monarchy, the journey there wasn't as clever as it should have been to gi ...more
Brittany
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I first picked up this book, I was drawn to the title alone. I admit to being enamored by books about Ann Boleyn; so I admit even read the synopsis of what this book was about. I requested it without a second thought, and was unbelievably excited when I was approved to review The Boleyn Reckoning. This folly left me completely lost as I read the first chapter. I was eventually forced to go back and read the synopsis of the book. After reading this I discovered that The Boleyn Reckoning, is ...more
Erin
I really loved this series; I will definitely be wanting the paperbacks for my shelves.

Laura Andersen has pulled off something very difficult. She has basically written Tudor fanfiction - imagining Elizabeth I having grown up with her mother alive and kicking and a Tudor/Boleyn brother to take the throne after their father. Into this mix of alternate-universe historical figures she throws two original characters - Minuette and Dominic, both of whom constantly flirt with Mary Sue-ism but merciful
Liz Evans
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book met & exceeds all my expections. I'm a fan of the series,but this novel is by farthe most exciting book in the series. Even if you havent read the previous 2 books, this book is a tale in its self. Full of love, lust & deceit this is a tale of the Tudor court at its best. Loved the premise of the story of a son of Henry VII & Anne surviving & reigning . This is a must-read for historical-fiction buffs or anyone looking for a wonderful story...Well-Done Laura, sorry to see this series e ...more
Cora Lee
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 and 1/2 stars The best of the three books in the series--even made me tear up a time or two, and very few books are capable of that. The only thing that kept it from being 5 stars for me was the error of repeatedly naming Francis Grey, Duchess of Suffolk as William and Elizabeth's aunt (she was actually their cousin).
Kristen
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
This series was clever, but I couldn't stand Minuette. She was a whiny, annoying and over-dramatic character. If I had liked her more, this would have been a five-star book series.The plot idea was so original and interesting. But, as in real life, Elizabeth is the Tudor tough chick.
Anne Poelker
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of Tudor historical fiction and thoroughly enjoyed this trilogy. It is a fascinating "what if" that blends in the actual historical events in a fascinating way with the made up events. The final twist was brilliant and nothing that I could predict. Delightful read.

• Katheryn Howard, the Scandalous Queen
  • She-Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth
  • Fatal Throne
  • The Lady Elizabeth
  • Jane Seymour: The Haunted Queen (Six Tudor Queens, #3)
  • The Tudor Secret (The Spymaster Chronicles, #1)
  • Anne Boleyn: 500 Years of Lies
  • Henry VIII: The King and His Court
  • Isabella: Braveheart of France
  • Katherine of Aragón: The True Queen (Six Tudor Queens, #1)
  • The Art of Persuasion: Winning Without Intimidation
  • Anna of Kleve: The Princess in the Portrait (Six Tudor Queens, #4)
  • The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn
  • Anne Boleyn: A King's Obsession (Six Tudor Queens, #2)
  • The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette
  • The Bookmaker
  • The Botticelli Secret
  • In Search of the Rose Notes
Laura Andersen has one husband, four children, and a college degree in English that she puts to non-profitable use by reading everything she can lay her hands on. Books, shoes, and travel are her fiscal downfalls, which she justifies because all three ‘take you places.’ She loves the ocean (but not sand), forests (but not camping), good food (but not cooking), and shopping (there is no downside.) ...more

The Boleyn Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Boleyn King (Boleyn Trilogy, #1)
  • The Boleyn Deceit (The Boleyn Trilogy, #2)