Start by marking “The Knowledgeable Knitter: From Planning Your Project to Fitting and Finishing, All You Need to Know to Unlock Your Knitting Potential” as Want to Read:

Knitting is a combination of skill, determination, and adaptability. Whether you’re looking for a suitable substitute yarn, trying to modify a pattern, or fixing a mistake, Margaret Radcliffe offers proven advice that will help you solve all of your knitting quandaries. With this definitive guide, you’ll not only learn how to adjust armholes and shape collars, but why ...more
Published August 6th 2014 by Storey Publishing

Start your review of The Knowledgeable Knitter: From Planning Your Project to Fitting and Finishing, All You Need to Know to Unlock Your Knitting Potential
Faith
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, netgalley
I received a free digital ARC of this book from the publisher and I wound up liking it so much that I pre-ordered a paperback of the book (not free). This book will not teach beginning knitters how to knit, but is a very useful book for both beginners and more experienced knitters who want to know how to get the results they are looking for in their knitting.

There are no knitting patterns or projects in this book, it is more of a guide book for making decisions at each step of the process. It
Bridgett
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a book! I have been knitting for a loooooong time (no, you may not ask for how long, and I have done pretty much everything one can do with the art, but I love having a place to check up on HOW I do these things. One cannot possibly keep everything in one's memory!

Margaret Radcliffe is an incredible enabler!

The knowledgeable knitter is one of those treasure chest books.

It sits on your book shelf, minding it's own business, until you try to do a dart in your next project and come heck or
Michele
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a completely self taught knitter I would have loved this book. Margaret Radcliffe deploys her many years of teaching experience to guide a novice knitter through casting on, the knit and purl stitches, increasing, decreasing and how to create left and right leaning decreases, and finally binding (casting) off. She teaches the most common style of knitting in the U.S. Where the lead yarn is carried in the right hand and "whipped" around the left needle. Also included is an easy to understand ...more
Shannon
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Knowledgeable Knitter is geared for the advanced knitter who wants to start customizing knits, particularly sweaters - although the techniques are transferable to other patterns. This would be an excellence reference book to have on the shelf ready for use when contemplating a new project.

What I like best about this book are the comparison pictures. For example, the author shows samples of what the outcome looks like if you use different casting on techniques, different weights of yarn, or
Brandy
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A thorough and well written guide to the many questions advancing knitters will have. The photos guiding your path through these discussions are excellent. This guide offers advice on construction, gauge adjustment, evaluating a pattern and choosing the appropriate yarn. There is even an entire chapter just covering pattern modification and another dedicated to converting a flat pattern to circular knitting. My favorite is the chapter on fixing mistakes. This is not a pattern book, there are no ...more
Bunny
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Well, I did learn something reading this book. It's that I will never ever attempt to knit a sweater.

I already knew that, but this really did confirm it for me.

The plus side is, this book is crammed full of useful information. Including diagrams and photos that would be perfect for someone who is either learning how to knit a sweater, or knows how and just needs a little assistance.

Unfortunately, though, it's also really dry. Really, really dry. It's not a read-through book. The best use would
Sastrugi7
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fibreart
This is a book for people who love knitting and want to learn more techniques and understand everything about it. As far as I've read of the other review comments, the only ratings below 4 stars were from non-knitters!? Great explanations, great pictures, and I like the way the book is organized. An essential text for serious students of knitting craft.
Linda
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This would make a wonderful gift for the intermediate knitter. I learned several techniques that I had previously tried from off YouTube, but found this book explained it in such a clear easy to understand language. Bright color photos help, too.
Liz De Coster
Really thorough and detailed, but I wish some of the details had been applicable to more than sweaters.
Erica
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best advanced knitting instruction books I've ever seen. It provides clear instructions on advanced techniques and design. It guided me through my first steeks.
Helen
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A good guide for the experienced knitter. Highly recommend it.
Rebecca
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Knowledgeable Knitter: Understand the Inner Workings of Knitting and Make Every Project a Success" is essentially a project management book for knitters. The book is well written and is visually appealing with photographs and illustrations. The book follows the lifecycle of a project from choosing a pattern, yarn, and needles all the way through borders and blocking.

Ms. Radcliffe explains step-by-step how to ensure a successful project and the "why" behind each step. If you are a very
Denise
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting, netgalley
We have here something of an amusing irony: this is a book dedicated largely to knitting basics, AND YET this is decidedly not a book for knitting beginners. I would never ever give this book to a beginner, because it would straight up terrify them. Imagine like trying to teach a teenager to make a pudding pie using a guide to troubleshooting French pastry, and you will get some idea of how unsuitable this book is for beginners.

However, let's say that you are looking for the knitting equivalent
Heather Jones
This book is way beyond my current skills, so I'm taking it back to the library for now. I'm at the level of knitting scarves and learning to make patterns beyond the basic stockinette, and this book is about the higher-level techniques a person would use to make a sweater that fits well, adjusting the pattern to make whatever customizations are wanted.

I did learn a few things from it, and I'm holding on to the title, because I do hope to improve my skills to the point where I might want to come
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
such a great resource.
Nancy
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This might be a good pick for the handy reference I'm looking for. It covers just about everything, with beautiful photographed illustrations of all kinds of things--blocking, for example, and samples of the same pattern done in six different yarns. It covers all the contingencies I can think of--and if I can't think of something, I'll never use it later.
Michelle Rudy
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I dip into the Knowledgeable Knitter on a regular basis. Found out this month that it may not have every possible cast on, e.g. "The Old Norwegian Cast On." But in general, it provides enough information and illustrations. Well worth obtaining a hard copy
Katharine
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book I enjoyed and also learned a fair amount. I may consider a purchase even as a reference book. The internet is filled with how to's etc but this book breaks down fixes and stitches really well.
Caitlin
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is not the kind of book you just sit down and read. It's a reference book. Like a cookbook, but for yarn. It's pretty good.
Alyssa
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Sometimes the formatting on the kindle app was a bit clunky, but it was fine. There were some great tips. I have hope for my failed sweater pile!
Gretchen
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my dozen or so very best knitting books. Covers a lot of things other books don't. I refer to it constantly.
MJ
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting, read-again
: ( had to returs so someone else could read it.
Ruth
Jun 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Good tips and techniques. No patterns.
Stephanie
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book, lovely it. Not geared to the novice. Has plenty of useful information set out in a logical and accessible manner. Loved it!
The Cyber Hermit
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lots of good information
Sue Klasing
Great book with wonderful illustrations and lots of neat ideas.
Amanda
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it
*I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley*

I didn't realize that this book was for the advanced knitter- of which I am not! I love to knit even though I still make a lot of mistakes. I am slowly learning more techniques and trying to make mistakes less frequently. I'm not comfortable enough to draft my own patterns or even to modify an existing pattern.

Someday in the future when I am advanced enough I can see myself finding a copy of this book to learn new techniques, or
Anne
Aug 04, 2018 added it
Geared towards those who knit sweaters. I'm not interested in sweaters so couldn't get enthusiastic about it.
Sage
This book may be great for others. I skimmed it but it didn't meet my needs.

• Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece: Dip-Dyeing, Hand-Painting, Tie-Dyeing, and Other Creative Techniques
  • Norah Gaughan's Knitted Cable Sourcebook: A Breakthrough Guide to Knitting with Cables and Designing Your Own
  • Stitch 'N Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook: Instructions, Patterns, and Advice for a New Generation of Knitters
  • Japanese Knitting Stitch Bible: 260 Exquisite Patterns by Hitomi Shida
  • Vogue® Knitting The Ultimate Knitting Book: Completely Revised  Updated
  • The Test
  • Knitting Green
  • L'ordine del tempo
  • Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques for Sewing, Applique, Embroidery, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing, plus 150 Inspired Projects from A to Z
  • Decorate: 1,000 Design Ideas for Every Room in Your Home
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts: An A-to-Z Guide with Detailed Instructions and Endless Inspiration
  • Apartment Therapy's Big Book of Small, Cool Spaces
  • Martha Stewart's Handmade Holiday Crafts: 225 Projects and Year-Round Inspiration for Everybody's Favorite Celebrations
  • Lovable Livable Home: How to Add Beauty, Get Organized, and Make Your House Work for You
  • 2-at-a-Time Socks: Revealed Inside. . . The Secret of Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle; Works for any Sock Pattern!
  • Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook: The Essential Guide to Caring for Everything in Your Home
  • Young House Love: 243 Ways to Paint, Craft, Update  Show Your Home Some Love