Start by marking “Bridge to Haven” as Want to Read:
Bridge to Haven

Bridge to Haven

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,183 Ratings  ·  926 Reviews
To those who matter in 1950s Hollywood, Lena Scott is the hottest rising star to hit the silver screen since Marilyn Monroe. Few know her real name is Abra. Even fewer know the price she's paid to finally feel like she's somebody.

To Pastor Ezekiel Freeman, Abra will always be the little girl who stole his heart the night he found her, a wailing newborn abandoned under a br
Published April 22nd 2014 by Tyndale House Publisher (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Bridge to Haven, please sign up.

Sifa Gowon Hi Rosie!! Yes indeed, Francine Rivers is an amazing writer and I have read ALL her books!

As to your question: I would recommend anything written by…more

As to your question: I would recommend anything written by Tessa Afshar (Harvest of Rubies, Harvest of Gold), Nicole Baart, and Tosca Lee (although Tosca's books are a little more...intense).

Oh...and as a brief aside: if you have the time or inclination, might I suggest my book, Playing by Her Rules (a romance novel)? It's not as spiritually deep as Francine but it does have a strong conservative thread and the main character is a struggling Christian.

If you do read any of the books I mentioned, let me know what you think of them. God bless!(less)

A. R.
May 01, 2014 A. R. rated it it was ok
Wow...I am surprised by all the raving reviews.

I am a fan of Francine Rivers, but not of this book. It was riddled with tedious lists of characters activities. Pastor Zeke walked here, ate here, talked to this person, said a prayer for that person. Far too much telling for my taste. I wanted to just skim over these endless lists (almost every character had them) to get to the meet of the story.

Rivers did a nice job in making Abra a sympathetic character, even with all of her bad decisions. But f
Ane Mulligan
Feb 16, 2014 Ane Mulligan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: top-ten-for-2014
Francine Rivers is perhaps the best novelist of our time. Her ability to tell a story is extraordinary. In Bridge to Haven, she quickly captured me with her characters and pulled me into the story of this prodigal daughter. It's a story you can't forget. I predict it will become a blockbuster like Redeeming Love. Novel Rocket and I give it our highest recommendation. It's a 5-star must read. Bridge to Haven has been added to my Top Ten for 2014 and My All Time Favorites List.
Dale Harcombe
Aug 05, 2016 Dale Harcombe rated it liked it
Three and a half stars
This is only the second Francine Rivers book I have read. I enjoyed it and sympathized with the Abra, the baby rescued by Pastor Zeke. Despite the love shown to Abra by Pastor Zeke, his wife Marianne, and others in the community, Abra finds herself unable to believe anyone really loves her. As a result she goes looking for love in all the wrong places. The author does a good job of making Abra sympathetic, despite the choices she makes and the hurt she brings to those who l
May 13, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
I struggled with how I wanted to rate this book. On one hand, it's Francine Rivers, the writer of my beloved Redeeming Love and Mark of the Lion series, and I must admit, Mrs Rivers is not afraid to go there! Life events that most Christian writers would skim over or not even attempt to write about, Francine takes us to those dark subjects to make the redemption even more powerful. On the other hand, I can't compare this to Redeeming Love. I had a really hard time connecting with any of the char ...more
Krystal
This. I'm still so raw and fresh from reading it, I will probably edit this review a thousand times. But where so many of Francine Rivers books leave me thinking, processing, uplifted (though not always), this one did not. Instead, I just feel blank. Void, maybe? Let me try to break down what went wrong.

As always, Rivers' characters are so deep. what they lack in passion or dialogue is made up in 'real'. I not only empathize with Abra Matthews, I know that if I were put in her shoes, I would thi
Shantelle
*Heartfelt sigh* ... I have just finished an incredible book. -Riveting, heart-wrenching, breathtaking, glorious book. The amazingness of God and the power of prayer are so freely and deeply shown. The dear characters, so real and relatable. The tragedgies, the hurt, the rebellion, the redemption...

Abra is abandoned under a bridge as a newborn, and then given away by the man she knew to be her father. The hurt and anger follow her into her teen years, and she starts seeking love in the most da
Lyn
Jul 26, 2014 Lyn rated it it was amazing
Francine Rivers has done it again--KEPT ME AWAKE AT NIGHT! Bridge to Haven is riveting reading--just as riveting as Redeeming Love and Leota's Garden my two favorite Francine Rivers' novels thusfar.

It's very easy to see why Francine has become a New York Times best-selling author. Her heroine Abra is orphaned and left under a bridge. Fortunately God leads Pastor Zeke to the spot where he quickly tucks Abra close to his heart where she stays the rest of her life.

But no life can be lived without p
Staci
Sep 30, 2015 Staci rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Lots of emotion through reading Bridge to Haven. At times, I was completely engaged and at other times found the detail about Abra's fall difficult to read.

Ultimately, as with other Francine River novels, I found Abra's story to be full of God's love for us despite the mistakes we make. Abra felt unloved and chased after what she thought would bring fulfillment.

I completely adored Joshua and Mitzi. They were steady lights of God's love.
Kathryn
This was a good read, with some complex issues to consider. I generally enjoy Francine Rivers and this one was no exception. It was sad to read about the choices Abra felt she was forced to make and her resultant life, but Francine Rivers’ description of how she felt made Abra’s thought processes believable (if misguided).
Dawn
May 29, 2014 Dawn rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the best books I've read so far this year, if not the BEST! Anyway. Moving on with my summary/review. :) There are slight spoilers to follow.

Summary (my words): Abra Matthews was abandoned as a baby under the bridge in Haven. Though she was soon placed into the home of a loving family and then later adopted, she grows up guarded and wary. When a handsome LA playboy arrives in town, she throws her upbringing aside and runs away. Soon Abra realizes that the price she's paid
Elena
Oct 16, 2014 Elena rated it liked it
It was OK, but very predictable and plain. It can make a good read for teenage girls to see how easy to get into the trouble when you follow just your opinion and ignore old friends warnings.

2 month later:
I took time to think what was bothering me in this book. Once again, as in "Hope of your mother", there is an idea that good wife should close eyes on her talents and follow her husband doesn't matter what. As Marta from "Hope of your mother" was supposed to give up on her dream of boarding h
Gillian Hollett
May 01, 2014 Gillian Hollett rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
When I heard that Francine Rivers’ new book was on pre-order on my audio book account, I purchased it right away. Over the years, I have enjoyed the Lineage of Grace series, Redeeming Love, and most recently (and my favourite) the two Marta’s Legacy books. I fully expected to thoroughly enjoy Rivers’ newest endeavour. But somehow Bridge to Haven didn’t rise to the occasion for me.

Abra is a broken, hurting teenage girl who wants to do life her way; not the way God, or anyone else might have her
Carla Palmeiro
Jul 05, 2015 Carla Palmeiro rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
I will be forever grateful to the amazing novelist Francine Rivers for writing some of my favorite books ever written – “A Voice in the Wind” and “An Echo in the Darkness’” from The Mark of the Lion series. Just out of curiosity, I just checked Goodreads and the former has an overall rating of 4.60 from a whopping 43.965 ratings. It is an amazing book that deserves all the praise and one that I know for sure will read again and again and will forever remain close to my heart.

Unfortunately, her l
C.J. Darlington
3.5 stars. A cross between Redeeming Love and the Her Mother's Hope, Rivers' latest is going to become a fan favorite. So much of what readers love about her writing is here in spades. I wasn't a huge fan of Redeeming Love, so I was uncomfortable with some of the sexual references and a bedroom scene between a married couple, but I do understand why they were there.
Mariejkt
Jun 19, 2014 Mariejkt rated it did not like it
I will say this up until this book of Francine Rivers I was a fan. The story of this book was good until she got explicit in bedroom scenes. I was not expecting that especially from a Christian author. So I will not recommend this book at all.
Cara
Sep 16, 2015 Cara rated it really liked it
Addictive writing, captivating characters . . . the only thing I didn't like very much was the predictability.
Jerry
Nov 10, 2014 Jerry rated it really liked it
Synopsis: Abandoned as a baby, Abra was adopted into a family that she never felt like she fit into, and longs for a way out of her small town home of Haven. Much to the chagrin of those who care about her, she travels to Hollywood and becomes known as film star Lena Scott. Though she is a natural at performing, the Tinseltown lifestyle makes her uncomfortable, and she questions the decision of abandoning her rural home...but, the bridges she has burned are ones she may never cross again.
From Fr
Dara
Jul 09, 2014 Dara rated it liked it
An OK read. I guess I was underwhelmed by it. Maybe I had my expectations too high as I remember the other books I've read by the author. I found myself skimming a great deal. Also I found the summary a bit misleading. (view spoiler).

I also had some issues with some of the relationships in the book, namely one in particular. (view spoiler)
Humera gull
Jun 25, 2016 Humera gull rated it really liked it
This book is awesome. Sue and her clients have provided an awesome insight into the experiences from the other side. I am grateful to have such a great work of art to add to my collection of spiritual books. I highly recommend this book to all and especially to individuals who need reassurance that life does continue on the other side for our love ones and to know that they are safe.
Anna
Jul 02, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A prodigal story, not of a son, but of a daughter. When Pastor Zeke finds an abandoned newborn under the bridge on his morning prayer walk, he brings her home. Despite having a weak heart, Pastor Zeke's wife, Marianne convinces him they should keep and care for the infant, who they name Abra. Marianne dies when Abra is five and Pastor Zeke leaves Abra with Priscilla and Peter, a couple with a young daughter of their own. Priscilla and Peter love Abra, but Abra feels abandoned and alone. Her one ...more
Alicia Ruggieri
May 19, 2015 Alicia Ruggieri rated it it was amazing
Full review to come. :-)
AlegnaB
2.75 -- I liked the book somewhat. However, it was a little too depressing and too detailed in bedroom scenes.
Faith
Jul 12, 2014 Faith rated it really liked it
Shelves: ill-list
Bridge to Haven is not a repacked Redeeming Love. First, because there will only ever be one book like that, and second because Abra's story is her own.

Redeeming Love took us to the California gold rush days and introduced us to a woman who had been forced into prostitution as a child.
Bridge to Haven takes us to a small California town in the 1950's, and we meet a girl who is much loved but doesn't know it yet. Human imperfections all around her and a lack of answers about her own past send he
Tessa Hall
Jul 02, 2014 Tessa Hall rated it it was amazing
What I Enjoyed:

*Wow. I already knew that Francine Rivers was a gifted author, but this book exceeded my expectations. It was a fairly slow read, but only because I did not want it to end.
*I loved how the author took me on a journey from beginning to end. The story begins with Abra's birth and follows her story until she is in her early twenties. Because of that, I developed deep sympathy and compassion for her. I continued to root for Abra, even when she made mistakes and turned away from the o
Kay Defreese
Apr 16, 2014 Kay Defreese rated it it was amazing
Unlike many Christian authors Francine Rivers does not churn out a novel every year. Her readers anxiously await the release of her novels and the wait is worth it! So many people have stated that Redeeming Love is the best novel Francine has written but after reading this one they may have to change their mind. I loved this book. It would make an excellent movie. Francine stated at the end of the book that this book is inspired by the scripture Ezekiel 16 but it could also be the retelling of t ...more
Khamneithang Vaiphei
Apr 06, 2014 Khamneithang Vaiphei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Francine Rivers’ new larger-than-life novel, Bridge to Haven, is a powerful and intense story of a seventeen-year-old girl who is unable to get a grip on her life. Rebellious, she has been struggling all through her young life, physically and emotionally. Her life in the small town is filled with boring study, mundane chores and practicing the piano, and she is stiff irked. She believes Haven is the dullest place on earth. She is dreaming to escape the drudgery of her life by moving far away to ...more
Maam
Jun 08, 2015 Maam rated it really liked it
I haven't read a book by Francine rivers in a long time. I'd forgotten how good they can be. I could not put it down. It is predictable but is a wonderful story of grace and redemption....what Francine Rovers writes about so well. I've read reviews complaining about the sexual undertones, etc, but that is one reason I like Rivers' books so well as opposed to other Christian authors. She doesn't hide the ugliness of our sin and it's consequences but she also is not graphic. Her stories are about ...more
Ogz
May 06, 2014 Ogz rated it it was amazing
Another outstanding book from Francine. I loved every bit of it. Abra's innocence to her life in Hollywood and giving and finding forgiveness to love. The story was brilliantly woven and most importantly, how the Holy Spirit silently soeaks, using God's people around us to bring us back to where we left off with Christ.
Kim
Jan 08, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
Having read 'Redeeming Love' by Francine Rivers, I was super excited to get my teeth into this book and I can say that it drew me in at times and had me eager to see what was going to happen, but I often felt frustration throughout. The book did not not leave the same impression upon me as Redeeming Love had left at all but I still enjoyed the read.

On a personal level I was able to relate to the story of abandonment and of being unloved and was therefore very much in touch with the emotion of t
Rebecca Giordano
Jan 20, 2015 Rebecca Giordano rated it it was amazing
Francine Rivers is a rare author. Rare in my opinion, because I've read every single one of her books, (at least the ones she wrote after she gave her heart to Christ) and loved each and every one. I can't say that about a lot of authors I've read. Bridge to Haven reminded me a lot of Redeeming Love, another of Rivers amazing writes, and one of my top 10 favorite books. Abra, the main character, is wounded at an early age, then spends some years fighting against God and rejecting the people she ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Sep 05, 2015 12:30PM
Symbol Of The Bridge 1 4 Jul 24, 2015 05:07AM
  • In the Field of Grace
  • Now and Forever (Wild at Heart, #2)
  • Small Town Girl (Rosey Corner, #2)
  • Wings of Refuge
  • A Beauty So Rare (Belmont Mansion, #2)
  • Love's Sacred Song (Treasure of His Love)
  • Seagrass Pier (Hope Beach, #3)
  • With Every Breath
  • Love Starts with Elle
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Grounded
  • On Distant Shores (Wings of the Nightingale, #2)
  • Meant to be Mine (Porter Family, #2)
  • Sweet Sanctuary
  • The Choice
New York Times best-selling author Francine Rivers began her literary career at the University of Nevada, Reno, where she graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in English and journalism. From 1976 to 1985, she had a successful writing career in the general market, and her books were highly acclaimed by readers and reviewers. Although raised in a religious home, Francine did not truly encounter ...more
More about Francine Rivers...

“Letting go isn’t giving up. It’s trusting God to do whatever He has to do.” 18 likes
“Sometimes God has to destroy in order to save. He has to wound in order to heal.” 6 likes