Start by marking “Bridge to Haven” as Want to Read:
Bridge to Haven

Bridge to Haven

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  6,792 ratings  ·  640 reviews
To those who matter in 1950s Hollywood, Lena Scott is the hottest rising star to hit the silver screen since Marilyn Monroe. Few know her real name is Abra. Even fewer know the price she's paid to finally feel like she's somebody.

To Pastor Ezekiel Freeman, Abra will always be the little girl who stole his heart the night he found her, a wailing newborn abandoned under a br
Published April 22nd 2014 by Tyndale House Publisher (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Bridge to Haven, please sign up.

Sifa Gowon Hi Rosie!! Yes indeed, Francine Rivers is an amazing writer and I have read ALL her books!

As to your question: I would recommend anything written by…more

As to your question: I would recommend anything written by Tessa Afshar (Harvest of Rubies, Harvest of Gold), Nicole Baart, and Tosca Lee (although Tosca's books are a little more...intense).

Oh...and as a brief aside: if you have the time or inclination, might I suggest my book, Playing by Her Rules (a romance novel)? It's not as spiritually deep as Francine but it does have a strong conservative thread and the main character is a struggling Christian.

If you do read any of the books I mentioned, let me know what you think of them. God bless!(less)

A. R.
Wow...I am surprised by all the raving reviews.

I am a fan of Francine Rivers, but not of this book. It was riddled with tedious lists of characters activities. Pastor Zeke walked here, ate here, talked to this person, said a prayer for that person. Far too much telling for my taste. I wanted to just skim over these endless lists (almost every character had them) to get to the meet of the story.

Rivers did a nice job in making Abra a sympathetic character, even with all of her bad decisions. But f
Ane Mulligan
Feb 16, 2014 Ane Mulligan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: top-ten-for-2014
Francine Rivers is perhaps the best novelist of our time. Her ability to tell a story is extraordinary. In Bridge to Haven, she quickly captured me with her characters and pulled me into the story of this prodigal daughter. It's a story you can't forget. I predict it will become a blockbuster like Redeeming Love. Novel Rocket and I give it our highest recommendation. It's a 5-star must read. Bridge to Haven has been added to my Top Ten for 2014 and My All Time Favorites List.
I struggled with how I wanted to rate this book. On one hand, it's Francine Rivers, the writer of my beloved Redeeming Love and Mark of the Lion series, and I must admit, Mrs Rivers is not afraid to go there! Life events that most Christian writers would skim over or not even attempt to write about, Francine takes us to those dark subjects to make the redemption even more powerful. On the other hand, I can't compare this to Redeeming Love. I had a really hard time connecting with any of the char ...more
Lyn
Francine Rivers has done it again--KEPT ME AWAKE AT NIGHT! Bridge to Haven is riveting reading--just as riveting as Redeeming Love and Leota's Garden my two favorite Francine Rivers' novels thusfar.

It's very easy to see why Francine has become a New York Times best-selling author. Her heroine Abra is orphaned and left under a bridge. Fortunately God leads Pastor Zeke to the spot where he quickly tucks Abra close to his heart where she stays the rest of her life.

But no life can be lived without p
Krystal
This. I'm still so raw and fresh from reading it, I will probably edit this review a thousand times. But where so many of Francine Rivers books leave me thinking, processing, uplifted (though not always), this one did not. Instead, I just feel blank. Void, maybe? Let me try to break down what went wrong.

As always, Rivers' characters are so deep. what they lack in passion or dialogue is made up in 'real'. I not only empathize with Abra Matthews, I know that if I were put in her shoes, I would thi
Dawn
This is probably one of the best books I've read so far this year, if not the BEST! Anyway. Moving on with my summary/review. :) There are slight spoilers to follow.

Summary (my words): Abra Matthews was abandoned as a baby under the bridge in Haven. Though she was soon placed into the home of a loving family and then later adopted, she grows up guarded and wary. When a handsome LA playboy arrives in town, she throws her upbringing aside and runs away. Soon Abra realizes that the price she's paid
Gillian Hollett
When I heard that Francine Rivers’ new book was on pre-order on my audio book account, I purchased it right away. Over the years, I have enjoyed the Lineage of Grace series, Redeeming Love, and most recently (and my favourite) the two Marta’s Legacy books. I fully expected to thoroughly enjoy Rivers’ newest endeavour. But somehow Bridge to Haven didn’t rise to the occasion for me.

Abra is a broken, hurting teenage girl who wants to do life her way; not the way God, or anyone else might have her
Elena
It was OK, but very predictable and plain. It can make a good read for teenage girls to see how easy to get into the trouble when you follow just your opinion and ignore old friends warnings.

2 month later:
I took time to think what was bothering me in this book. Once again, as in "Hope of your mother", there is an idea that good wife should close eyes on her talents and follow her husband doesn't matter what. As Marta from "Hope of your mother" was supposed to give up on her dream of boarding h
Jerry
Synopsis: Abandoned as a baby, Abra was adopted into a family that she never felt like she fit into, and longs for a way out of her small town home of Haven. Much to the chagrin of those who care about her, she travels to Hollywood and becomes known as film star Lena Scott. Though she is a natural at performing, the Tinseltown lifestyle makes her uncomfortable, and she questions the decision of abandoning her rural home...but, the bridges she has burned are ones she may never cross again.
From Fr
Anna
A prodigal story, not of a son, but of a daughter. When Pastor Zeke finds an abandoned newborn under the bridge on his morning prayer walk, he brings her home. Despite having a weak heart, Pastor Zeke's wife, Marianne convinces him they should keep and care for the infant, who they name Abra. Marianne dies when Abra is five and Pastor Zeke leaves Abra with Priscilla and Peter, a couple with a young daughter of their own. Priscilla and Peter love Abra, but Abra feels abandoned and alone. Her one ...more
Dara
An OK read. I guess I was underwhelmed by it. Maybe I had my expectations too high as I remember the other books I've read by the author. I found myself skimming a great deal. Also I found the summary a bit misleading. (view spoiler).

I also had some issues with some of the relationships in the book, namely one in particular. (view spoiler)
Tessa Hall
What I Enjoyed:

*Wow. I already knew that Francine Rivers was a gifted author, but this book exceeded my expectations. It was a fairly slow read, but only because I did not want it to end.
*I loved how the author took me on a journey from beginning to end. The story begins with Abra's birth and follows her story until she is in her early twenties. Because of that, I developed deep sympathy and compassion for her. I continued to root for Abra, even when she made mistakes and turned away from the o
Shantelle Mary
*Heartfelt sigh* ... I have just finished an incredible book. -Riveting, heart-wrenching, breathtaking, glorious book. The amazingness of God and the power of prayer are so freely and deeply shown. The dear characters, so real and relatable. The tragedgies, the hurt, the rebellion, the redemption...

Abra is abandoned under a bridge as a newborn, and then given away by the man she knew to be her father. The hurt and anger follow her into her teen years, and she starts seeking love in the most da
Khamneithang Vaiphei
Francine Rivers’ new larger-than-life novel, Bridge to Haven, is a powerful and intense story of a seventeen-year-old girl who is unable to get a grip on her life. Rebellious, she has been struggling all through her young life, physically and emotionally. Her life in the small town is filled with boring study, mundane chores and practicing the piano, and she is stiff irked. She believes Haven is the dullest place on earth. She is dreaming to escape the drudgery of her life by moving far away to ...more
Ogz
Another outstanding book from Francine. I loved every bit of it. Abra's innocence to her life in Hollywood and giving and finding forgiveness to love. The story was brilliantly woven and most importantly, how the Holy Spirit silently soeaks, using God's people around us to bring us back to where we left off with Christ.
Nora St Laurent
Francine Rivers is an author I make time to read no matter what I’m doing. I’m thankful for the review copy that states this is a “re-imagined” prodigal son parable crafting the novel set in Iconio 1950’s Hollywood.”

I was quickly emotional invested in these characters from the start. Young Abra had more to overcome than most. My heart strings ached for her situation and her out look on life. “The circumstances surrounding her birth have etched scars deep in Abra’s heart, scars that leave her vul
Kim
Having read 'Redeeming Love' by Francine Rivers, I was super excited to get my teeth into this book and I can say that it drew me in at times and had me eager to see what was going to happen, but I often felt frustration throughout. The book did not not leave the same impression upon me as Redeeming Love had left at all but I still enjoyed the read.

On a personal level I was able to relate to the story of abandonment and of being unloved and was therefore very much in touch with the emotion of t
Rebecca Giordano
Francine Rivers is a rare author. Rare in my opinion, because I've read every single one of her books, (at least the ones she wrote after she gave her heart to Christ) and loved each and every one. I can't say that about a lot of authors I've read. Bridge to Haven reminded me a lot of Redeeming Love, another of Rivers amazing writes, and one of my top 10 favorite books. Abra, the main character, is wounded at an early age, then spends some years fighting against God and rejecting the people she ...more
Amber
Bridge to Haven is a beautifully breathtaking and instantly captivating journey filled with heartbreak, despair, hope, and love. I was immediately pulled in by the simplicity and the depth of emotion that lives within the pages of this story. It felt like real life being captured and played out in front of my eyes. I couldn’t walk away without feeling a tug to go back and find out what happened next. What an amazing story!

Abra started out in this world alone and abandoned. She was left by her m
Jamie
There’s books and then there’s Francine Rivers books. She is by far one of my all-time favorite authors (please refer to my blog header as evidence) and her stories have genuinely changed my life. I’d always feel so nervous releasing another book – how do you continue to produce such amazing pieces of work ready for the bestsellers list? I don’t know her secret, but Rivers has nothing to fear because her newest, Bridge to Haven, but it's another great read.

I’ve never been more annoyed with life
Robin Lee Hatcher
I never miss reading one of Francine's books, and the wait between them always seems much too long. I loved Bridge to Haven. I listened to this one on audio, most of it while on a long trip by car. It made the hours pass quickly as I waited to see what would happen next to Abra.
Marie
I will say this up until this book of Francine Rivers I was a fan. The story of this book was good until she got explicit in bedroom scenes. I was not expecting that especially from a Christian author. So I will not recommend this book at all.
Margaret
Apr 26, 2014 Margaret is currently reading it
Recommended to Margaret by: Katie Dodillet
---

So, is it Ahh--brah? Or Aeh-bra? = Abra
Sarita
A beautiful well written novel by Francine Rivers which deals with some hard issues but draws you in, that by the end, you love the characters and their story.

Bridge to Haven is about a girl Abra, who feels lost in this world due to circumstances around her birth and family and who is trying to find herself and love in all the wrong places. I enjoyed the story and found myself thinking "No Abra not that, and poor Joshua". I loved to see how Abra grew from a child not certain about who she is and
Sydney
This is the first book I'v read of Francine's, and is by far the most touching, heart-wrenching, sweetly romantic books I've ever read.

At first, I was a little iffy and wondered if I had made the right decision in getting this book. But once I got into it, I couldn't stop reading it!

I really loved the relationship between Abra and Joshua. Though we don't see it much, it was incredibly sweet and couldn't have been better. I could however, understand how people could get a little uncomfortable a
Faye
Found by Pastor Zeke, abandoned beneath a bridge, little Abra soon captures the hearts of those around her, but as her world shifts and changes around her she still feels like the unwanted child left under the bridge. A series of events and choices bring her to Hollywood and on the fast-track to becoming a big star. But the glisten and gleam of stardom are not what they seem, no one knows the price she has paid for such attention better than Abra...

A captivating and engaging novel that compellin
Faith Farrell
Bridge to Haven is not a repacked Redeeming Love. First, because there will only ever be one book like that, and second because Abra's story is her own.

Redeeming Love took us to the California gold rush days and introduced us to a woman who had been forced into prostitution as a child.
Bridge to Haven takes us to a small California town in the 1950's, and we meet a girl who is much loved but doesn't know it yet. Human imperfections all around her and a lack of answers about her own past send he
Kay Defreese
Unlike many Christian authors Francine Rivers does not churn out a novel every year. Her readers anxiously await the release of her novels and the wait is worth it! So many people have stated that Redeeming Love is the best novel Francine has written but after reading this one they may have to change their mind. I loved this book. It would make an excellent movie. Francine stated at the end of the book that this book is inspired by the scripture Ezekiel 16 but it could also be the retelling of t ...more
Angelica
Francine Rivers has done it again! Safe Haven is a dramatic story of love, deception, betrayal, faithfulness, unfaithfulness, grace, and redemption. The 1950's era Hollywood was a fascinating setting and the characters are so endearing. There were several common themes with the author's original best-seller Redeeming Love, which is also highly recommended. I don't rarely give out 5 stars, but Francine Rivers earns them.
Elizabeth Dennison
I loved this book it dealt with the many emotions a child would have of being abandoned and searching for a place to belong. It truly touched my heart to see the heroine struggling to find who she truly was and still have a deep longing for the one place she didn't think she belonged. The hero mirrored Jesus pursuing us in his own way, loving us in all of our imperfections and never giving up on the heroine.
Christian Book Lo...: December: Bridge to Haven 2 5 Nov 29, 2014 10:27PM
  • In the Field of Grace
  • Where Treetops Glisten: Three Stories of Heartwarming Courage and Christmas Romance During World War II
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Love's Awakening (The Ballantyne Legacy, #2)
  • A Beauty So Rare (Belmont Mansion, #2)
  • Small Town Girl
  • Eve's Daughters
  • On Distant Shores (Wings of the Nightingale, #2)
  • With Every Breath
  • Swept Away (Trouble in Texas, #1)
  • Through the Deep Waters
  • Burning Sky
  • When I Fall in Love (Christiansen Family, #3)
  • Rebellious Heart
  • The Dancing Master
  • A Sensible Arrangement (Lone Star Brides, #1)
New York Times best-selling author Francine Rivers began her literary career at the University of Nevada, Reno, where she graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in English and journalism. From 1976 to 1985, she had a successful writing career in the general market, and her books were highly acclaimed by readers and reviewers. Although raised in a religious home, Francine did not truly encounter ...more
More about Francine Rivers...
Redeeming Love A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1) An Echo in the Darkness (Mark of the Lion, #2) The Atonement Child As Sure as the Dawn (Mark of the Lion, #3)

“Letting go isn’t giving up. It’s trusting God to do whatever He has to do.” 12 likes
“You can make many plans, but the Lord’s purpose will prevail.” 2 likes