Start by marking “Sisters” as Want to Read:

Sisters

(Smile #2)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  47,018 ratings  ·  4,861 reviews
Three weeks. Two sisters. One car. A True Story

Raina can’t wait to be a big sister. But once Amara is born, things aren’t quite how she expected them to be. Amara is cute, but she’s also a cranky, grouchy baby, and mostly prefers to play by herself. Their relationship doesn’t improve much over the years, but when a baby brother enters the picture and later, when someth
Published August 26th 2014 by Scholastic/Graphix

To ask other readers questions about Sisters, please sign up.
Lauren Yes! This book was funny, and the way the author writes is very easy to follow. This book pretty much explains the relationship between sisters, I can…moreYes! This book was funny, and the way the author writes is very easy to follow. This book pretty much explains the relationship between sisters, I can relate to this book because I have a sister!(less)

·  47,018 ratings  ·  4,861 reviews

Lola
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you like family themed stories.
Raina and Amara's relationship:

description

This is a companion novel to Smile, which I really liked and absolutely recommend. What is great about these works is that they’re based on true events that the author herself lived when she was a teenager.

It’s mainly about her (Raina) and her sister’s (Amara) relationship and how they overcome their differences, given that they both have different personalities and centers of i
Nat
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Telgemeier's books just keep getting better and better in my eyes. My third read, Sisters, in particular resonated with me because of the main notion of sisterhood and its complications/ joys. Also, shoutout to my local library for holding a copy of this graphic novel. I initially picked it up for my little sister, but ended up enjoying it myself in one sitting just before she came home from school.

Raina uses her signature humor and charm in both present-day narrative and perfectly placed flashbacks to tell the story ofread, ,
Sh3lly
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a review with my daughter, who got this book from her school library. She chose 4 stars because she "really liked it." She thought it was funny. Her favorite character was Amara. One of her favorite scenes was when they got the snake. :)

She is not really big on reading (YET). So when she likes a book, I have to make a big deal out of it. She especially liked it because it "looks like a comic." Here are a couple panels from the graphic novel-style book.

It's basically about an older sister who gets a younger sister, but her expectations aren't met because they are really different, and she has to learn to adapt to her younger sister's personality. :)

You have lots of typical sisterly fights, the older one gets her own room, but then the younger one gets to pick a pet and she picks a snake.

Quote:

Raina (the older sister): You ever feel like you just don't fit in?"

Amara: "All the time. The difference between you and me is, I don't care."

Raina likes to dance, play dress up, while Amara is a bit more... rough and tumble style.

She says she can't wait to read Drama. I might actually get this kid into a bookstore! Woo-hoo! LOL
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4.5 stars!

Raina and Amara are sisters. Raina used to beg her parents for a younger sister, until one day she finally got her wish. From almost day one the two are polar opposites and do not get along very well. As the family goes on a road trip to Colorado, Raina flashes back to memories of growing up, giving back story on the complicated and sometimes frustrating relationship between the two girls. But although the two do not get along, they begin to try and compromise, because they are famil
Idarah
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting for the publication of this book since I read Telgemeier's previous graphic novel Smile. This one picks up soon after the previous book, and centers around a family road trip from San Francisco through the Colorado Rockies for a family reunion. Throughout the book, Telgemeier sheds light on the complicated relationship between herself and her younger sister, Amara, which is sort of hinted at in the earlier book.

I especially liked how the author was able to journey back fr
Erica
Wow.
I love this story so much, it almost makes me cry.
Almost.

It's a simple story. A mom, her two daughters and one son drive from San Francisco to Colorado Springs for a family reunion. Dad flies out separately.

There's road tripping and camping, something predominant in my own childhood. There's family fighting, there's a Walkman, there are Strawberry Shortcake dolls and cousins who are too cool and too many little children running around. There's a rogue snak
Sophia Triad
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
The drama of having a younger sister at its finest for a preteen girl.
I couldn't really relate to this book since I have a younger brother and I had an amazing time with him as a kid. I never wished for a sister.
Likewise my daughter has a younger brother and I think she is absolutely fine with this fact.
The book is cute, though.
Greta
Two bickering sisters, and a little brother to add to the fun.
Graphic memoir, more aimed at teenagers and young adults I suppose, but I enjoyed it anyway.
Funny and cute and will bring a smile to your face, unless you absolutely hate children.

photo 479B1D05-F5BC-4FA3-9B36-BF61EBAEB926.jpeg
Calista
I love Raina's work. Smile and Sisters is fantastic; both are memoirs in nature. This is about siblings and family dynamics. I keep telling my niece to be nice to her younger brother; you never know if one day you will be living in his basement. I have to admit that I did not treat my brother well as a child. Someone, he got over it and we get along pretty well now. I live in his basement while I go to school. I am grateful.

The story is also a road trip. They drive from CA to CO. Crazy.
Kelli
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I need to learn how to post a picture here from Dropbox but on the iPad. If I can post it, there will be no words required for my review because it is artwork my daughter had done for a school project. She chose this book because she is inspired by Raina Telgemeir and after reading this, it is easy to see why. This graphic memoir includes real issues that affect everyone: sibling rivalry, how age gaps affect the sibling relationship, parental conflict, and my personal favorite...fear of snakes. ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I loved Smile so much a few weeks ago that I rushed to pick up Sisters from the library, too; sadly, though, this one was pretty disappointing in comparison. It's not a bad read by any means (as you can see, I still gave it a pretty neutral rating), but I feel that its storyline is extremely weak compared to its predecessor.

To be fair, maybe it's one of those "it's the reader, not the book" moments happening here because I don't have siblings and can't relate to the struggles of sisterhood — but
Julie
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
Our middle child's recent actions have officially declared her a tween, and part of this declaration has involved her turning her back on almost all picture books and early chapter reads.

We are now coming home with stacks of graphic novels from the library, and some of them are almost painful to read. Well, painful for me.

We are only three weeks into our summer vacation, and if it weren't for the near-miracle of Cece Bell (El Deafo) and this genius, Raina Telgemeier, I'm not sure I'd be able(El
Toph
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I actually liked this one better than Smile, maybe because I could relate to the whole sister thing more. 4 stars.
Manybooks
Rebecca McNutt
Sisters isn't an extraordinary or original story, but it's one that every reader who has ever had a sibling can relate to, not to mention the brilliant and unique graphic artwork that follows it.
Steph
I am really impressed by this book - Sisters strikes a perfect balance between adorably cute and solemnly heartfelt. Telgemeier’s art is wonderful, and her story is strong. Sisters captures the difficulty of being a kid, and the frustrations and joys of family. It’s funny and it’s sweet and it’s poignant - I highly recommend Sisters.

Thank you to NetGalley and Scholastic for providing me with a copy of this book in return for an honest review.
Yugon_ C2
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I finished the book. YAY! I thought it was made up story, but the author says that it was her real life story! WA! Never knew THAT! (I dun know why I sound so sarcastic🤥)... However the book was pretty fun and interesting👌👌 Hope you enjoy👍👍 (if you gonna read it)
Liviania
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raina Telgemeier's SMILE is hugely successful, critically acclaimed, and basically everyone was excited when news of a companion graphic memoir broke. SISTERS is about (surprise surprise) Raina's relationship with her sister Amara. Raina wished for a sister, but the reality wasn't quite what she hoped.

SISTERS moves smoothly back and forth in time, the borders of the panels helping mark flashbacks. The bulk of the action takes place on a family road trip to Colorado. Raina, Amara, the
Sesana
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a companion to Telgemeier's wonderful Smile, in that it's also about her life. You could very easily read either book without ever having to read the other, but why would you want to do that? They're both great.

Sisters, naturally enough, is about Raina's relationship with her younger sister Amara, from Amara's birth through Raina's teens. And as a big sister, I can so completely and totally relate. Nobody can push your buttons like a younger sibling. Trust me, my sister actually an
Fiery Jack
It's really good and I love her artistic style but I wanted to know more. A lot more. Just because the target audience is kids/teens doesn't mean it needs to stay at the shallow end of the pool. I wish she had explored a little deeper.
Katie
This is really lovely. I recommend it for anyone who has a sister who is just DIFFERENT from them. It just . . . very much captures that dynamic.

And my sister and I went on road trips (er, that is, my family did) and I ignored her to read, so I definitely felt some pangs of guilt over Raina and her Walkman.

AND this has a reference to the sporting goods store my sister works for.

AND I read it at family Easter and when I was done, my sister picked it up and read
David Schaafsma
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-ya, tweens
I thought her first two, Smile, and Drama, were okay to good, and this one I thought was a little better, maybe 3.5 but because Jamie gave it five stars… :)
Tasha
The exceptionally talented and incredibly popular Raina Telgemeier returns with a sequel to her beloved Smile. This is the story of Raina and her little sister, Amara. Raina was desperate to have a little sister, but Amara is not working out the way she had pictured. Now Raina is stuck on a road trip with her sister, little brother and her mother. They are all stuck in a van traveling from San Francisco to Colorado for a family reunion. The relationship between the two sisters is tense, not only ...more
Caitlyn
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what I expected when I got this book from the library, but it exceeded by expectations!

The first thing that you should know is that it isn't a regular novel. This is a comic. I was expected it to be like a regular book when I got it, and I thought it would be disappointing. But I decided to give it a go and I really liked it.

I could relate to many things in this book. The biggest thing was her relationship with her sister. I knew EXACTLY how she felt during the parts of the bo
Gary Anderson
Although it kept my attention, I couldn't quite get a handle on SISTERS. Raina Telgemeier's two previous graphic novels--SMILE and DRAMA--were satisfying stories, but this one seemed to be in search of what it was really about. Tied together by a family car trip, other episodes are juxtaposed to show how the sisters relate differently to what is going on around them. Young readers may connect with the various episodes involving cousins, pets, and the need to keep electronics fully charged, but I ...more
Yuliana Gallardo
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book because it is cool looking at someone's life as when they were small but in cartoon. I recommend this book to everyone because there might not be problems only with sisters there could also be some between brothers. It was about Raina and she had a sister and at the beginning she loved her little sister but then they get into lots of fights. Then she goes to a sleepover and when she goes back she chips her teeth and she has to get braces.
Trisha
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I shared this with my 10 year old daughter and we absolutely loved it. I enjoyed the humor but also the moments where it brought up things we could talk about. The illustrations were a huge part of the book as well. What a great story everyone should try and enjoy!

she enjoyed it so much we went out and bought a paperback copy so we could re-read it!
Anna Cook
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing! I loved it from the first word! I was able to read it in one day! Literally!! xD
Gretchen Alice
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to snag an ARC* of this at TLA. I loved Smile, so it was fun to return to the characters and setting of the Telgemeier family. While the first installment focused mostly on Raina and her friends, Sisters takes a look at the emotions that come from being a sibling and a daughter. Raina and her sister don't get along, as you may gather from the cover. They pick fights and snarl and poke and prod. (Sidebar: I do not have a sister and I've mostly been just fine with that fact in my life. Somet ...more
Amy Cler
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-book-ever
This book was a great book it showed how it was like to have a sister and it was just reality i really enjoyed it. i think that Raina is a great author. ( i do not know the dates )
Riley Gray's Review 3 1 1 Sep 27, 2019 07:23PM

• Swing it, Sunny
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • All Summer Long
  • Bluffton: My Summers with Buster Keaton
  • The Underground Abductor (An Abolitionist Tale about Harriet Tubman) (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #5)
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • Brave (Berrybrook Middle School, #2)
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • The Great American Dust Bowl
  • Bolivar
  • Written and Drawn by Henrietta
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • Be Prepared
  • Super Narwhal and Jelly Jolt (A Narwhal and Jelly, #2)
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite