Start by marking “Sisters” as Want to Read:
Sisters

Sisters (Smile #2)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  36,523 Ratings  ·  4,038 Reviews
Three weeks. Two sisters. One car. A True Story

Raina can't wait to be a big sister. But once Amara is born, things aren't quite how she expected them to be. Amara is cute, but she's also a cranky, grouchy baby, and mostly prefers to play by herself. Their relationship doesn't improve much over the years. But when a baby brother enters the picture, and later, when something
Published August 26th 2014 by Graphix

To ask other readers questions about Sisters, please sign up.
Lauren Yes! This book was funny, and the way the author writes is very easy to follow. This book pretty much explains the relationship between sisters, I can…moreYes! This book was funny, and the way the author writes is very easy to follow. This book pretty much explains the relationship between sisters, I can relate to this book because I have a sister!(less)

Lola  Reviewer
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you like family themed stories.
Raina and Amara's relationship:

description

This is a companion novel to Smile, which I really liked and absolutely recommend. What is great about these works is that they’re based on true events that the author herself lived when she was a teenager.

It’s mainly about her (Raina) and her sister’s (Amara) relationship and how they overcome their differences, given that they both have different personalities and centers of interest - and this is bound to create tensions.

The plot isn't extremely complex, and it
Nat
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Telgemeier's books just keep getting better and better in my eyes. My third read, Sisters, in particular resonated with me because of the main notion of sisterhood and its complications/ joys. Also, shoutout to my local library for holding a copy of this graphic novel. I initially picked it up for my little sister, but ended up enjoying it myself in one sitting just before she came home from school.

Raina uses her signature humor and charm in both present-day narrative and perfectly placed flashb
 ⚔ Sh3lly ⚔
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a review with my daughter, who got this book from her school library. She chose 4 stars because she "really liked it." She thought it was funny. Her favorite character was Amara. One of her favorite scenes was when they got the snake. :)

She is not really big on reading (YET). So when she likes a book, I have to make a big deal out of it. She especially liked it because it "looks like a comic." Here are a couple panels from the graphic novel-style book.

It's basically about an older sister
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4.5 stars!

Raina and Amara are sisters. Raina used to beg her parents for a younger sister, until one day she finally got her wish. From almost day one the two are polar opposites and do not get along very well. As the family goes on a road trip to Colorado, Raina flashes back to memories of growing up, giving back story on the complicated and sometimes frustrating relationship between the two girls. But although the two do not get along, they begin to try and compromise, because they are famil
Eve
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014, favorites
I've been waiting for the publication of this book since I read Telgemeier's previous graphic novel Smile. This one picks up soon after the previous book, and centers around a family road trip from San Francisco through the Colorado Rockies for a family reunion. Throughout the book, Telgemeier sheds light on the complicated relationship between herself and her younger sister, Amara, which is sort of hinted at in the earlier book.

I especially liked how the author was able to journey back from pre
Erica
Wow.
I love this story so much, it almost makes me cry.
Almost.

It's a simple story. A mom, her two daughters and one son drive from San Francisco to Colorado Springs for a family reunion. Dad flies out separately.

There's road tripping and camping, something predominant in my own childhood. There's family fighting, there's a Walkman, there are Strawberry Shortcake dolls and cousins who are too cool and too many little children running around. There's a rogue snake and Dinosaur National Monument. Th
Greta
Two bickering sisters, and a little brother to add to the fun.
Graphic memoir, more aimed at teenagers and young adults I suppose, but I enjoyed it anyway.
Funny and cute and will bring a smile to your face, unless you absolutely hate children.

photo 479B1D05-F5BC-4FA3-9B36-BF61EBAEB926.jpeg
Kelli
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I need to learn how to post a picture here from Dropbox but on the iPad. If I can post it, there will be no words required for my review because it is artwork my daughter had done for a school project. She chose this book because she is inspired by Raina Telgemeir and after reading this, it is easy to see why. This graphic memoir includes real issues that affect everyone: sibling rivalry, how age gaps affect the sibling relationship, parental conflict, and my personal favorite...fear of snakes. ...more
Toph
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I actually liked this one better than Smile, maybe because I could relate to the whole sister thing more. 4 stars.
Julie
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
Our middle child's recent actions have officially declared her a tween, and part of this declaration has involved her turning her back on almost all picture books and early chapter reads.

We are now coming home with stacks of graphic novels from the library, and some of them are almost painful to read. Well, painful for me.

We are only three weeks into our summer vacation, and if it weren't for the near-miracle of Cece Bell (El Deafo) and this genius, Raina Telgemeier, I'm not sure I'd be able to
Rebecca McNutt
Sisters isn't an extraordinary or original story, but it's one that every reader who has ever had a sibling can relate to, not to mention the brilliant and unique graphic artwork that follows it.
Steph
I am really impressed by this book - Sisters strikes a perfect balance between adorably cute and solemnly heartfelt. Telgemeier’s art is wonderful, and her story is strong. Sisters captures the difficulty of being a kid, and the frustrations and joys of family. It’s funny and it’s sweet and it’s poignant - I highly recommend Sisters.

Thank you to NetGalley and Scholastic for providing me with a copy of this book in return for an honest review.
Liviania
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raina Telgemeier's SMILE is hugely successful, critically acclaimed, and basically everyone was excited when news of a companion graphic memoir broke. SISTERS is about (surprise surprise) Raina's relationship with her sister Amara. Raina wished for a sister, but the reality wasn't quite what she hoped.

SISTERS moves smoothly back and forth in time, the borders of the panels helping mark flashbacks. The bulk of the action takes place on a family road trip to Colorado. Raina, Amara, their mother, a
Sesana
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a companion to Telgemeier's wonderful Smile, in that it's also about her life. You could very easily read either book without ever having to read the other, but why would you want to do that? They're both great.

Sisters, naturally enough, is about Raina's relationship with her younger sister Amara, from Amara's birth through Raina's teens. And as a big sister, I can so completely and totally relate. Nobody can push your buttons like a younger sibling. Trust me, my sister actually and lite
Katie
This is really lovely. I recommend it for anyone who has a sister who is just DIFFERENT from them. It just . . . very much captures that dynamic.

And my sister and I went on road trips (er, that is, my family did) and I ignored her to read, so I definitely felt some pangs of guilt over Raina and her Walkman.

AND this has a reference to the sporting goods store my sister works for.

AND I read it at family Easter and when I was done, my sister picked it up and read it straight through. (She is not mu
Fiery Jack
It's really good and I love her artistic style but I wanted to know more. A lot more. Just because the target audience is kids/teens doesn't mean it needs to stay at the shallow end of the pool. I wish she had explored a little deeper.
El Buscalibros | elbuscalibros.com
¿Qué significa tener un hermano?

Un millón de inconvenientes y un millón de ventajas que siempre tardamos más en valorar. Las tiranteces, los problemas de espacio, la diferencia de gustos, de intereses, los conflictos por nimiedades absurdas, los momentos de conexión, las risas compartidas, los miedos saboreados a cuatro carrillos, la cercanía, la distancia, el amor incondicional, el odio irracional que llega en oleadas imparables, la capacidad para ignorar al otro, las fantasías de ser hijo únic
Juan Manuel Sarmiento
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
Aunque no se tarda demasiado en finalizar la lectura, el tono en el que está narrado el conjunto junto con las viñetas cuentan una historia entre hermanas y su familia que seguro atraerá a lectores que conozcan a la autora y a los que no.
Raina Telgemeier comparte lo difícil que puede ser a veces lidiar con tu hermana menor de una manera muy divertida y cómica, usando un tono y un lenguaje adecuado para lectores más jóvenes, pero igualmente disfrutable por lectores más adultos que quieran disfru
Tasha
The exceptionally talented and incredibly popular Raina Telgemeier returns with a sequel to her beloved Smile. This is the story of Raina and her little sister, Amara. Raina was desperate to have a little sister, but Amara is not working out the way she had pictured. Now Raina is stuck on a road trip with her sister, little brother and her mother. They are all stuck in a van traveling from San Francisco to Colorado for a family reunion. The relationship between the two sisters is tense, not only ...more
Jano
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Reseña completa en: http://elcaosliterario.blogspot.com.e...

Esta novela gráfica la recomendaría para cualquier edad porque los más pequeños disfrutarán con ella también. Las situaciones que se plasman son muy surrealistas y divertidas y es un humor fresco. Cualquiera que tenga hermanos podría sentirse identificado porque la mayoría de las situaciones las hemos vivido de una manera similar. La autora juega muy bien con ello y saca la parte más divertida de todos los momentos.

El estilo de las viñe
Trisha
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I shared this with my 10 year old daughter and we absolutely loved it. I enjoyed the humor but also the moments where it brought up things we could talk about. The illustrations were a huge part of the book as well. What a great story everyone should try and enjoy!

she enjoyed it so much we went out and bought a paperback copy so we could re-read it!
David Schaafsma
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tweens, gn-ya
I thought her first two, Smile, and Drama, were okay to good, and this one I thought was a little better, maybe 3.5 but because Jamie gave it five stars… :)
Caitlyn
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what I expected when I got this book from the library, but it exceeded by expectations!

The first thing that you should know is that it isn't a regular novel. This is a comic. I was expected it to be like a regular book when I got it, and I thought it would be disappointing. But I decided to give it a go and I really liked it.

I could relate to many things in this book. The biggest thing was her relationship with her sister. I knew EXACTLY how she felt during the parts of the book wh
Gary Anderson
Although it kept my attention, I couldn't quite get a handle on SISTERS. Raina Telgemeier's two previous graphic novels--SMILE and DRAMA--were satisfying stories, but this one seemed to be in search of what it was really about. Tied together by a family car trip, other episodes are juxtaposed to show how the sisters relate differently to what is going on around them. Young readers may connect with the various episodes involving cousins, pets, and the need to keep electronics fully charged, but I ...more
Yuliana Gallardo
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book because it is cool looking at someone's life as when they were small but in cartoon. I recommend this book to everyone because there might not be problems only with sisters there could also be some between brothers. It was about Raina and she had a sister and at the beginning she loved her little sister but then they get into lots of fights. Then she goes to a sleepover and when she goes back she chips her teeth and she has to get braces.
Anna Cook
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing! I loved it from the first word! I was able to read it in one day! Literally!! xD
Kate
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a graphic novel. It tells the story of a family and their trip in a camping van from California to Colorado and back. Throughout the story there are flashbacks to the author’s childhood.
Sage
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Me and my sister all day everyday.
Gretchen Alice
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to snag an ARC* of this at TLA. I loved Smile, so it was fun to return to the characters and setting of the Telgemeier family. While the first installment focused mostly on Raina and her friends, Sisters takes a look at the emotions that come from being a sibling and a daughter. Raina and her sister don't get along, as you may gather from the cover. They pick fights and snarl and poke and prod. (Sidebar: I do not have a sister and I've mostly been just fine with that fact in m ...more
LAST ONE TO SAY SISTERS WINS!!! 207 115 May 02, 2018 08:11AM
discussion question 1 5 Oct 11, 2017 01:16PM
  • Sunny Side Up
  • The Dumbest Idea Ever!
  • Roller Girl
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • The Great American Dust Bowl
  • Bluffton: My Summers with Buster Keaton
  • The Underground Abductor (An Abolitionist Tale about Harriet Tubman) (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #5)
  • Hidden: A Child's Story of the Holocaust
  • The Boy Who Crashed to Earth (HiLo, #1)
  • Little White Duck : A Childhood in China
  • Little Robot
  • The Shadow Hero
  • Phoebe and Her Unicorn (Heavenly Nostrils, #1)
  • The Nameless City (The Nameless City, #1)
  • Hilda and the Black Hound
  • Lost in NYC: A Subway Adventure: A TOON Graphic
  • Target Practice (Cleopatra in Space, #1)
  • Awkward (Awkward, #1)

Smile (2 books)
  • Smile

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
  • The Temptation of Adam: A Novel
    $16.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • The Final Six
  • Love, Life, and the List
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)
    $10.00 $1.99