Start by marking “Leading in a Culture of Change” as Want to Read:
Leading in a Culture of Change

Leading in a Culture of Change

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  453 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
"At the very time the need for effective leadership is reaching critical proportions, Michael Fullan's Leading in a Culture of Change provides powerful insights for moving forward. We look forward to sharing it with our grantees."
--Tom Vander Ark, executive director, Education, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation "Fullan articulates clearly the core values and practices of
Hardcover
Published July 6th 2001 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Leading in a Culture of Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leading in a Culture of Change

Kelly
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For such a small book, there is much to learn here. Fullan offers five qualities that effective leaders need to have/engage in:

Moral purpose
understanding change
relationships, relationships, relationships
knowledge building
coherence making

Ah, but there is no checklist to follow because leadership is complex. We need to focus on problems that have not already been solved. This sounds simple, but we tend to fall into the trap of resolving what does not need to be. Fullan cites many reports and studi
Melissa Mannon
This book delves into 5 components of effective leadership, including moral purpose, understanding the change process, improving relationships, creating and sharing knowledge, and coherence making (community building). It promotes the idea of a leader as someone who is grounded in a vision and who works on empowering others. Successful change arises from this empowerment by encouraging everyone in an organization to work together towards a common vision. The book distinguishes between leaders an ...more
Laurie
I had to read and reread this for school. I have sections of it memorized. It's cited in at least 85% of my papers from this semester. For those reasons, I both hate and love this.
I love it because I finally "get" Fullan. I heard him speak about a year ago and I have to say, he was a bit underwhelming. Smart, knowledgable, but a bit over the head. Not an engaging speaker. This finally boiled his philosophy down into a digestible tome that was practical and useful.
I foresee this won't be the las
Bridget
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really made me want to dive into leadership. I felt very motivated to shake things up where I work and in my current capacity, but it also made me feel like I maybe am ready to move into a different form of leadership. Fullan lays out five clear components to leading in a culture of change. They were descriptive enough that I understood them, but not so prescriptive that you have to follow a certain formula to be successful. A good read, especially being so short.
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This is probably closer to 3.5 stars. I've read a lot of Fullan, and I give him credit for not recycling his ideas in his books but following his ideas in related directions and explaining what his ideas look like from different places of implementation. Perhaps what I like most is his understanding that change is difficult, there is no blueprint, and you can't start with a carefully mapped-out plan of implementation. Fullan reinvisions the role of leader as a facilitator of collaboration who we ...more
Scott L.
Not fond of the way the author composed this book. I think the ideas are good, but I feel the author was too dependent upon short-term research and not long-term. Had he looked at some long-term successful leaders, I think he would have made some different conclusions. Also, he tends to quote in length from other people's research instead of developing his own ideas. I think that the book was good, but not great. I would recommend it just as another book in the leadership culture, but not as a m ...more
Lindsay
I read this book for a course I'm taking in my school district. Had the requirement not been there, I wouldn't have finished it. There wasn't much groundbreaking information (perhaps because the book is now 15 years old) and I disliked the writing style. The author spent a lot of time saying "Later I'll be telling you about xyz." or "Remember when I told you about xyz a couple chapters ago?" instead of just getting to the point.
Guida Allès
Quan vivim moments de canvi tan ràpid i impredecible com lactual necessitam persones que sapin quan actuar lentament i quan fer-ho ràpidament. No líders carismàtics ni individus extraordinaris sinó persones que sàpin mobilitzar moltes persones, tenir una visió ètica (compromís intern) i avaluar amb indicadors.

El llibre em va agradar molt perquè lliga la teoria amb exemples. Es llegeix ràpid
Ed
May 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Educational Leaders
This is an informative read for administrators seeking to bring change to their schools. It is an easy read that describes the change process and how to deal with the fact that change cannot be forced. There is also a workbook available that is worth the price if you are looking for ways to make necessary changes.
Tricia
Sep 23, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though this book was written only a few years ago, it felt older. As an educator, I didn't learn very much that was new since whole brain thinking is already embraced throughout the school districts with which I work. I did like the exercises and references and plan to explore many of these.
Josiah Aston
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book on organizational change in both education and business. I especially appreciated the chapters on knowledge sharing and coherence-making. Leadership is a collective effort and preparation for change is synonymous with leadership development throughout the organization.
Carolyn Browne
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Change is difficult for most people. It is particularaly challenging when it takes you by surprise and then drags you along at break neck speed. Michael Fullan offers valuablel insights into helping people embrace their new environment... over and over again.
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for a graduate education course. It was very good and reminded me of the importance of leading well. I particularly appreciated the chapter on coherence making -- using the messy process of change to better your organization.
Greg
May 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fullan offers insight and practical directions on how to be a leader in the midst of an every changing culture. Helped me understand what leadership is when it seems I am working in an ever changing environment.
Angie
Aug 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just started...seems like a quick read that covers much of what has been covered in leadership literature already by people like Senge, Collins, and Argyis. Not a bad thing...these themes that keep emerging just make the literature more solid in my brain. More on it later.
Franklin
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Insightful, but filled with references to other books.
Anne Marie
Dec 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I had to re-read this one in preparation for comprehensive exams, Fullan's insights about change are as fresh as ever. Always complexity...
Stephanie
I was constantly thinking of connections, examples and to-try items while reading this. If I hadn't borrowed it, I think the margins would be full of notes and thoughts.
John
Oct 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could not finish. Way too academic.
Mwcounihan
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book on leading schools during change, as education is forever moving and never stagnant. Easy book to read with layman's terms.
Hilary Lang Greenebaum
I respect everything he writes.
John Mcdonald
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful book. As another reviewer has said, the later books are more accessible. A great author at a great time helping school leaders. Recommended.
Mary Beth
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As an aspiring administrator, I found a lot of useful and thought provoking ideas about leadership and a successful school culture.
Theresa
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Also read this in a class. LOVED it. It's really helped me in my job realizing that change has to happen in order for any good organization to move forward.
Dave Moyer
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this one out of sequence, and it contains more technical info. and jargon terms that some of the later in the series, but outstanding stuff by the best.
AJ
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Seemed like a business book...not an educational one.
Len Egan
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Educators and Business-people
Shelves: education, leadership
Michael Fullan is an expert on the process of change. This book is simple to understand and puts the change process into perspective for those involved in business or education.
Elizabeth
Reiterates much of what I have read, but it is still an enjoyable, quick read.
Marcus
Oct 06, 2014
Jerry Jennings
Dec 31, 2013
  • Schools That Learn: A Fifth Discipline Fieldbook for Educators, Parents and Everyone Who Cares About Education
  • School Leadership That Works: From Research to Results
  • The Leadership Challenge Workbook
  • Leadership Can Be Taught: A Bold Approach for a Complex World
  • Professional Learning Communities at Work: Best Practices for Enhancing Student Achievement
  • Learning and Leading with Habits of Mind: 16 Essential Characteristics for Success
  • Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life
  • Teaching as Leadership: The Highly Effective Teacher's Guide to Closing the Achievement Gap
  • Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning
  • The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World
  • Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership
  • Leading Change in Your School: How to Conquer Myths, Build Commitment, and Get Results
  • Beyond the Bake Sale: The Essential Guide to Family/School Partnerships
  • Learning to Lead: A Workbook on Becoming a Leader
  • If You Don't Feed the Teachers They Eat the Students!: Guide to Success for Administrators and Teachers
  • Leading Quietly: An Unorthodox Guide to Doing the Right Thing
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids

Nonfiction Deals

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis
    $13.99 $1.99
“Gaius Petronious nailed this problem almost two thousand years ago: We trained hard... but it seemed every time we were beginning to form up into teams we were reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any situation by reorganizing, and what a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.” 0 likes