Start by marking “In Danger's Path (The Corps, #8)” as Want to Read:
In Danger's Path (The Corps, #8)

In Danger's Path (The Corps #8)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  2,334 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Through seven books, Griffin's bestselling chronicle of the Marine Corps has proven itself to be one of the country's most enduring and popular series. But In Danger's Path is his most absorbing story yet.
Desperate to find someone to unite the warring interests of General MacArthur, Admiral Nimitz, and OSS chief Donovan, FDR, puts Fleming Pickering in charge of the OSS's
Published January 11th 1998 by G. P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about In Danger's Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Danger's Path

Mary JL
Feb 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of military/adventure/historical novels/history
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of this author
Shelves: action-adventure
This is Book #8 in Griffin's series about the Marines, "The Corps". Since it is really one long story with the same cast of recurring characters, it does make more sense if read in order.

Noetheless, enough backstory is givien that you could read it as a stand alone if you wish.

Griffin does not write slam-bang all action military books. He writes very detailed stories, building his story like a bricklayer--one piece at a time.

He gives a lot of background details before the missions even begin. He
Bob Conner
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with Griffin's series about the Corps and have read all his awesome works. I can't recall reading a more engaging series with characters all so rich and colorful each of them could be an awesome novel of their own. But Griffin smashes them all together into one nuclear story.

Amazingly colorful characters - Kenneth "Killer" Kelley and his gorgeous wife Ernestine Sage, Jack "NMI" Stecker, Pick Pickering, Sgt Zimmerman, etc....... The list just goes on and on and they never lose thei
Brad T.
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
loved it
John
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
The second half of this book is a barn-burner, a great story, and some of Griffin’s best work – especially if the reader is familiar with the characters developed in the previous books in “The Corps” series.

I started the scathing review below when I was half finished, so just get thru the first part – the action in the latter half is worth it.

(Following refers to the first half of “In Danger’s Path)This is mostly a bad book. It’s almost all “process,” American heroes driving and flying across
Katie
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This installment would have been rated higher because of all the ding-bats finally getting what they deserve and getting told off for being pompous idiots and endangering lives in the process, except for one thing. Or two things depending on how you look at it. Two love triangles. And that is TWO TOO MANY. They are painful and dragging out and aren't resolved by the end of this book. I laughingly say that W.E.B. Griffin faithfully holds to finding a good girl for each of his good Marines to get ...more
Will
Bjoern
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andy
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant book. I am continually in awe of how Griffin can take his strong, relatable characters and interweave them with truly historical people such as Roosevelt, Nimitz, MacArthur et al, and provide the WWII theater and events for them to be in. Pickering and McCoy are charged by the president to establish a weather station in the middle of the Gobi Desert. Following this impossible task alongside all the other players (Weston, Pick, Zimmermann, Banning, and all the women they love), and se ...more
Annie Connors-Buckley
This series on the USMC is among the best historical fiction I have read. I highly recommend this series and all of Griffen's series for both those who study military history, and those with family ties to the military and police, all of which covers my interest.

I have also read The Colonels, the Generals and Special Ops. I am currently reading his series on police.

I am so satisfied with Griffen's writing and study for his books, I will read all of his books.
George
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
I really enjoyed this installment...all 26 hours of it. Griffin weaves real characters in with our novel staff and it's almost believable. The range of characters runs from FDR to the Marine on the beach. Some of the idiots get their comuppance, but there are still a few out there doing funny deeds. Sometimes, one wonders about their contribution to the story? Some of the loose ends come together and more are hanging--makes you wonder about the next book.
John
Sep 10, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This series stunk! I read the entire series hoping for some kind of combat action, but was disappointed time after time. The main character seemed to miss every major action of WWII...the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the invasion of the Philippines, etc. I would not recommend this series to anyone I liked!
James Burns
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-librairy, fiction
This was , I think the best of the series, I read bk#10 1st and then bk#9 and then one- eight in order. It was a really fun read, it covered areas of WW II not usually written about. Ie china and the gobi desert weather station. Anytime I get to read about the marine corps in a book of fiction that is historically accurate covering different aspects and dimensions of leadership is a plus.
Fredrick Danysh
Fleming Pickering is put in charge of the intelligence operations of the OSS in the Pacific. There are two highly sensitive operations being conducted. Pickering calls on Ken McCoy and others that he trusts to take the battle to the Japanes.
Paula
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miitary-fiction
I think I liked this one more than some of the previous ones. Mostly because things that should've happened, did. There's a few cans of worms been opened though, and am waiting to see what happens next.
David Irvin
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding read!

I loved the insight into the WWII challenges and strategies that played out on the pages through the eyes and actions of real-life characters. I literally couldn't put this book down! Which one is next?
Keith
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is not at all what I expected, but I just can't seem to put the books down. Instead of focusing on the battles, Griffin focuses on the behind-the-scenes intrigue. I'm hooked. I want to know how things work out for these characters.
Leon E
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Gobi Desert

Another great read taking the reader to the little known real of WW II in the need for weather watching from the Gobi Desert. Griffin ties the lives of people with the history of the period. Good read, again!
Kevin
Mar 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book until I started book 9. He didn't finish WWII before skipping ahead to the Korean war in book 9. I felt rather a large letdown based on that. Great series but I wish he would have finished 'the second war' before moving on to the korean conflict.
Val Wilkerson
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books-read
My first read by Griffin and I will read some of his others. This was a
great story out of WWII, an insite on the Marine Corps, plus I learned how the "F" word originated.....but you will have to read the book to find that out.
Ethan
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book, just like the other books in the series.
Bob Richard
Jun 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another typical W.E.B. Griffin book in The Corps series. Very enjoyable read.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, military
If you are a fan of military historical fiction, you will not go wrong reading W,E,B, Griffin's books. This is Book 8 on The Corps series.
James V.
Aug 24, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It takes forever to get to the action in the Gobi. About 15% of this book is "in dangers path". The rest is filler.
Cindy
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Geography lesson esp since my s.o was Russia, Mongolia & a couple ...istans desk officer for the CINCPAC. I could visualize...,
Andrea
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, my-books
Love W.E.B. Griffin have read most all of his books

This is volume 8 of the Marines series which began in 1940 and contiunes up through the Korean War.
Jim
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic WEB Griffin

Great book, well researched, once started, you're all in. Love this series..a great job integrating this mission with the other series.
Doug
Apr 28, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good series about World War Two.
Juergen Lukas
Apr 08, 2015
Adil Constantine
May 23, 2016
  • Dead Hand
  • Blood of the Prophets: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows
  • The Steel Wave (World War II: 1939-1945, #2)
  • Fires of War (Larry Bond's First Team, #3)
  • Hammer Heads
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • A Close Run Thing (Matthew Hervey, #1)
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...

The Corps (10 books)
  • Semper Fi (The Corps, #1)
  • Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)
  • Counterattack (The Corps, #3)
  • Battleground (The Corps, #4)
  • Line of Fire (The Corps, #5)
  • Close Combat (The Corps, #6)
  • Behind the Lines (The Corps, #7)
  • Under Fire (The Corps, #9)
  • Retreat, Hell! (The Corps, #10)

“They walk between raindrops.” 2 likes
“the true test of another man’s intelligence is how much he agrees with you?” 0 likes