Start by marking “In Danger's Path (The Corps, #8)” as Want to Read:
In Danger's Path (The Corps, #8)

In Danger's Path

(The Corps #8)

Through seven books, Griffin's bestselling chronicle of the Marine Corps has proven itself to be one of the country's most enduring and popular series. But In Danger's Path is his most absorbing story yet.
Desperate to find someone to unite the warring interests of General MacArthur, Admiral Nimitz, and OSS chief Donovan, FDR, puts Fleming Pickering in charge of the OSS's
Published January 11th 1998 by G. P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about In Danger's Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Danger's Path

Glen
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
The Marines and the OSS have two missions: to rescue some other Marines running from the Japanese in the Gobi Desert, and to set up a weather station in the same area.

Standard Griffin.
Paul
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book finds the characters from previous books in the series – and there are a lot of them by this point – in various places around the world during 1943, but they converge on the Gobi Desert of China to build a weather station to facilitate the Navy’s air attacks on the Japanese homeland. It’s a good story (and much of the usual fare that Griffin’s fans like I am will enjoy) and based on factual events with fictional characters inserted.
Mary JL
Feb 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of military/adventure/historical novels/history
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of this author
Shelves: action-adventure
This is Book #8 in Griffin's series about the Marines, "The Corps". Since it is really one long story with the same cast of recurring characters, it does make more sense if read in order.

Noetheless, enough backstory is givien that you could read it as a stand alone if you wish.

Griffin does not write slam-bang all action military books. He writes very detailed stories, building his story like a bricklayer--one piece at a time.

He gives a lot of background details before the missions even begin. He
Bob Conner
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with Griffin's series about the Corps and have read all his awesome works. I can't recall reading a more engaging series with characters all so rich and colorful each of them could be an awesome novel of their own. But Griffin smashes them all together into one nuclear story.

Amazingly colorful characters - Kenneth "Killer" Kelley and his gorgeous wife Ernestine Sage, Jack "NMI" Stecker, Pick Pickering, Sgt Zimmerman, etc....... The list just goes on and on and they never lose thei
Jim Morris
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of WEB Griffin's best, and almost all of them are his best. It concerns the setting up of a weather station in Mongolia, absolutely necessary if the Air Force is to successfully bomb the Japanese home islands. Seems easy enough. It ain't
It's also the story of how LTC Ed Banning is reunited with his Russian wife Ludmilla, whom he had feared was dead when he was unable to get her out of China. It's a great story.
This book also contains an epic ass-ripping by a Navy admiral, delivered
DanielL
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IN DANGER’S PATH (Book 8 of 10) is the final book in The Corps series that occurs during WW2. Book 9 and 10 involve the Korean War.

I thoroughly enjoyed IN DANGER’S PATH. The story returns back to where it started - China. More historical figures are introduced like General Joseph Stilwell. As with General Douglas MacArthur, W.E.B. Griffin accurately captured General Stilwell’s “Vinegar Joe” personality.

Most of the events that are depicted in Books 1-8 are based on actual events. I’m not sure if
Richard Guerrero
Great, again fiction but good history lesson. One of my favorite moments was when Admiral Jesse Balle reprimanded Malcolm Pinckery. Well deserved and put them back in his place. Hopefully when Captain Kenneth McCoy gets back he does Mary Earnestine page. Like to finally put that one away. As I mentioned on a couple of the previous books, the politics amongst ourselves almost ruined this mission. History repeats itself, the same goes on today even 1000 times more. Supposed to be for the good of t ...more
David Ferguson
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In typical W.E.B. Griffin style, this book takes a while introducing the many characters, their spouses and their girlfriends before getting to the meat of the story. But it is a worthwhile story to read. And in his defense, there are a great many pieces to put together in war, whether fictional or factual. The US Navy, Marine and Air Corps are large organizations with many moving parts.
Bottom line, even though life interrupted the read frequently, it was an enjoyable story.
Billie Bogart
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is a great read, but you should start from the beginning as it is really just one long story. I love all the military detail. You’ll like the books if you liked John Wayne war movies. It captures an idealized culture where men are men and women are accessories.
Scott
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better the author is getting back to the action and away from the random sex that does nothing and is tying up several plot threads that were opened up in previous books.

A good book that helped me to pass the time.
Teresa A. Corbitt
Gobi

In this book he fleshed out the main characters. Pick and killer are based l together again along with sergeant Zimmerman.This time is a weather station in the Gobi desert.
jeff gramm
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally awesome
Great read.
Matthew
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: griffin
Great read,Loved the Ed Banning story line.Poor Pick,one day it will all work out for him.McCoy is the Man hope he enjoys War college.
John
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
The second half of this book is a barn-burner, a great story, and some of Griffin’s best work – especially if the reader is familiar with the characters developed in the previous books in “The Corps” series.

I started the scathing review below when I was half finished, so just get thru the first part – the action in the latter half is worth it.

(Following refers to the first half of “In Danger’s Path)This is mostly a bad book. It’s almost all “process,” American heroes driving and flying across
Katie
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This installment would have been rated higher because of all the ding-bats finally getting what they deserve and getting told off for being pompous idiots and endangering lives in the process, except for one thing. Or two things depending on how you look at it. Two love triangles. And that is TWO TOO MANY. They are painful and dragging out and aren't resolved by the end of this book. I laughingly say that W.E.B. Griffin faithfully holds to finding a good girl for each of his good Marines to get ...more
Bjoern
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will
Andy
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant book. I am continually in awe of how Griffin can take his strong, relatable characters and interweave them with truly historical people such as Roosevelt, Nimitz, MacArthur et al, and provide the WWII theater and events for them to be in. Pickering and McCoy are charged by the president to establish a weather station in the middle of the Gobi Desert. Following this impossible task alongside all the other players (Weston, Pick, Zimmermann, Banning, and all the women they love), and se ...more
George
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
I really enjoyed this installment...all 26 hours of it. Griffin weaves real characters in with our novel staff and it's almost believable. The range of characters runs from FDR to the Marine on the beach. Some of the idiots get their comuppance, but there are still a few out there doing funny deeds. Sometimes, one wonders about their contribution to the story? Some of the loose ends come together and more are hanging--makes you wonder about the next book.
Annie Connors-Buckley
This series on the USMC is among the best historical fiction I have read. I highly recommend this series and all of Griffen's series for both those who study military history, and those with family ties to the military and police, all of which covers my interest.

I have also read The Colonels, the Generals and Special Ops. I am currently reading his series on police.

I am so satisfied with Griffen's writing and study for his books, I will read all of his books.
John
Sep 10, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This series stunk! I read the entire series hoping for some kind of combat action, but was disappointed time after time. The main character seemed to miss every major action of WWII...the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the invasion of the Philippines, etc. I would not recommend this series to anyone I liked!
James Burns
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, my-librairy
This was , I think the best of the series, I read bk#10 1st and then bk#9 and then one- eight in order. It was a really fun read, it covered areas of WW II not usually written about. Ie china and the gobi desert weather station. Anytime I get to read about the marine corps in a book of fiction that is historically accurate covering different aspects and dimensions of leadership is a plus.
Thomas
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book!

Another great book by the author keeping you tied into the story and wanting more when your done. The story continues to build the main characters and brings in a couple of new ones making the story move very well. Highly recommend this book, the series and the author.
Keith
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is not at all what I expected, but I just can't seem to put the books down. Instead of focusing on the battles, Griffin focuses on the behind-the-scenes intrigue. I'm hooked. I want to know how things work out for these characters.
Val Wilkerson
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books-read
My first read by Griffin and I will read some of his others. This was a
great story out of WWII, an insite on the Marine Corps, plus I learned how the "F" word originated.....but you will have to read the book to find that out.
Paula
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-fiction
I think I liked this one more than some of the previous ones. Mostly because things that should've happened, did. There's a few cans of worms been opened though, and am waiting to see what happens next.
Kevin
Mar 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book until I started book 9. He didn't finish WWII before skipping ahead to the Korean war in book 9. I felt rather a large letdown based on that. Great series but I wish he would have finished 'the second war' before moving on to the korean conflict.
Leon E
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Gobi Desert

Another great read taking the reader to the little known real of WW II in the need for weather watching from the Gobi Desert. Griffin ties the lives of people with the history of the period. Good read, again!
David Irvin
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding read!

I loved the insight into the WWII challenges and strategies that played out on the pages through the eyes and actions of real-life characters. I literally couldn't put this book down! Which one is next?
Fredrick Danysh
Fleming Pickering is put in charge of the intelligence operations of the OSS in the Pacific. There are two highly sensitive operations being conducted. Pickering calls on Ken McCoy and others that he trusts to take the battle to the Japanes.

• God's Children (Nathan Dixon, #1)
  • Fires of War (Larry Bond's First Team, #3)
  • Blood of the Prophets: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows
  • The Warmasters
  • The Steel Wave (World War II: 1939-1945, #2)
  • Cuba (Jake Grafton #7)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • Marine: A Guided Tour of a Marine Expeditionary Unit (Guided Tour)
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including He

The Corps (10 books)
  • Semper Fi (The Corps, #1)
  • Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)
  • Counterattack (The Corps, #3)
  • Battleground (The Corps, #4)
  • Line of Fire (The Corps, #5)
  • Close Combat (The Corps, #6)
  • Behind the Lines (The Corps, #7)
  • Under Fire (The Corps, #9)
  • Retreat, Hell! (The Corps, #10)
“They walk between raindrops.” 3 likes
“the true test of another man’s intelligence is how much he agrees with you?” 1 likes