Start by marking “Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)

Uni the Unicorn

(Uni the Unicorn #1)

An original picture book about a unicorn from bestselling author Amy Krouse Rosenthal (Plant a Kiss).

In this clever twist on the age-old belief that there's no such thing as unicorns, Uni the unicorn is told there's no such thing as little girls! No matter what the grown-up unicorns say, Uni believes that little girls are real. Somewhere there must be a smart, strong, wond
Published August 26th 2014 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Uni the Unicorn, please sign up.
Denise Schlachtaub I found this as a read aloud book on Youtube.

Start your review of Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)
Tim
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well, it's a new week and surprise, surprise, my daughter has a new favorite book (some of you may have noticed that this changes quite frequently). This time it's actually one I find quite charming, and it a short enough read that I don't get tired of the "again, agains" quite as fast.

It also helps that the idea of this book is extremely amusing.

Uni is a unicorn. Not just any unicorn mind you, but one with the most beautiful and sparkly one in existence... but sadly all is not well for Uni. She
Rachel Reads Ravenously
I FOUND ANOTHER CUTE PICTURE BOOK!!!

photo uni.png

Uni the Unicorn is a story of a young, dazzling unicorn who dreams of a far off land where little girls exist. It can be overly cute at times, but I think this is a perfect book for all of you who have a little girl in your lives. I love the cute story, and the artwork/illustrations are what make the book even better!
Amy Rae
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Man, I started this book and was all ready to rate it five stars. And then I came to the end. What a letdown.

This reads like half a book. We're introduced to a unicorn silly enough to believe in little girls, and a little girl silly enough to believe in unicorns, and then...that's it. They don't meet. They don't do anything. Fuckall actually happens in this book--it's thirty-two pages of exposition. And while the subtitle, "a story about believing," makes that mildly interesting, I guess, Waitin
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
5 spectacular stars for this fantastic children’s book!

The perfect story for any little unicorn lovers in your life! 🦄
Julia
Story was cute but LOVED the illustrations. Like if Lisa Frank grew up to be a hipster who drew colorful magical things with a vaguely vintage aesthetic.
Jessica
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute cute cute and more cute!
The artwork is cute, the story is cute. I just wish it was a little longer.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

I am a fan of Rosenthal's other picture books, but sadly, this was a let down for me. Lovely, vintage-y illustrations, but a story that seems rather weak and ends very abruptly. It really feels as though we are missing another third of the story, i.e. do the girl and Uni ever meet? What's the uptake of the story?
rrolland
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading this to my little sister. She’s enjoying it a lot, and we have a very own magical world what our mother created, and we already made a crossover 😁 The art is gorgeous
Cristina Monica
Well this was unexpected. I mean this in the best possible way.

For once, it’s the unicorn believing in a supposedly mythological creature and not the other way around (but also the other way around at some point). Let me make this clearer: Uni is a unicorn that loves being a unicorn.

But there’s something missing. She believes there is someone out there—a human girl—waiting for her to become best friends. That is her wish. Perhaps her life will be complete once she meets the little girl.

Little d
Alexandra
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
i saw this beautifully illustrated and colorful book on a display at barnes and noble and i couldn't resist reading it. and it was adorable!

uni is a unicorn that is different from all the other unicorns, not because of anything physical that sets her apart, but because of a belief that she has. i didn't know anything about this book going in and it was such an awesome little surprise of what that belief was, and it just melted my heart 💕👧🏻

i think this will definitely be a huge hit among little g
Rachael (RedRchlReads)
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Uni the Unicorn was such a sweet, fun story about believing things are real, even if everyone tells you otherwise. The illustrations are gorgeous, and I loved the setup of this story. The ending felt a bit abrupt though, and I wish we could have had a longer story. My daughter loves the pretty colors and reaches for it often!

[Placeholder for Memento novella; not on GR]
Ricki
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I would have adored this book as a child. Uni the Unicorn ignores her unicorn friends and refuses to believe that little girls are real. Not too far away, a girl believes that unicorns are real, as well. This would be a great book to read to kids who have difficulty believing in the fantastic. I found the illustrations to be magical and the characterization to be lovely. I wish it was a bit more gender neutral, but I will absolutely read this to my son when he is a bit older. Then again, my son ...more
Ally McCulloch
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good unicorn fun for everyone.
Abigail
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Children Who Believe in Mythical Creatures & Long to Encounter Them
In many ways, Uni was a unicorn like any other. She had an (extra!) magnificent mane, golden hooves, sparkling purple eyes, and a swirly horn with the power to heal and mend. She also had the power to make wishes come true. In other ways, however, Uni was a little unique - she believed that little girls were REAL. Although her friends would laugh at her odd idea, and her parents were indulgently amused, Uni knew that there was a little girl out there for her. What she didn't know was that not fa ...more
Huda Fel
Apr 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: en-pic-books
Uni the unicorn believed in little girls!
What a cute book.
La Coccinelle
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
There's not much of a plot to this little story (the synopsis pretty much covers it), but it's still a fun book. I thought the unicorn who believes in little girls was actually pretty amusing, and the charming pictures that illustrate the story are really what make it work. Barrager apparently spent some time working with Disney and Pixar, and the illustrations in this book are definitely reminiscent of some of the retro-styled animation we've seen from them.

I can see this being popular with lit
Michele Knott
Sweet story, I love the story tagline - "a story about believing". But I thought the story just ended. I wanted it to go further. I think if you hold on to the idea that the story is about believing, and just that, I can see why it ended that way. I wanted more :) Especially the beautiful artwork! Young girls are going to eat this book up and have it memorized!
Sheila
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A lovely children's book about a unicorn, and a young girl, and about the power of believing. MOst of the story centers on the unicorn. I see from reviews that some didn't like the ending of the book, but I think the message of the book, the message on the power of believing, is what makes the ending work. Do you believe?
Lea
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
My niece and I love unicorns. We read this together. Sometimes books are even better because of who and/or where you read them. This is a sweet little book and I look forward to checking out the sequel.
Kris
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are adorable, and while this is certainly not Amy Krouse Rosenthal’s best, it is going to appeal to anyone who loves unicorns, which is probably a large percentage of her audience. 😂
Rosie
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read an ARC and the illustrations are gorgeous. I would love to order prints of some of the pages :) So. Pretty.
Jamie
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Very cute. I love the reverse thoughts of the unicorn believing in little girls. Colorful too. Loved the purple mane. A nice change from the standard white.
Olivia
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a good book
Amanda
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable story. Getting next in series for babe tomorrow! So so cute
Ginny
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What if unicorns dreamed of little girls, like little girls dreamed of unicorns?
Baby Bookworm
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Today, we read Uni The Unicorn, written by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Brigette Barrager, the story of a unicorn, a girl, and belief.

Uni the unicorn is like all the other unicorns: flowing mane, twinkling purple eyes, magical powers. But there is one thing that makes Uni different: she believes in little girls. All the other unicorns mock her, but Uni just knows that
Shelby Summerville
Uni the Unicorn, written by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Bridgette Barrager, is a magical book about believing. Uni is like all the other unicorn, magnificent mane, golden hooves, sparkling eyes, swirly horn with healing powers, and she can make wishes come true. The one thing that made Uni different was that she believed in little girls. Her friends laughed at her for it and her parents just brushed it off, but Uni believed. Uni imagined all the things she would do with a little girl ...more
theGraveyard Librarian
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
3 from me but I was "encouraged" by the five year old to bump it up to 4 stars.
Lynn
A unicorn who believes that little girls are real! What a new twist on the old favorite story where a little girl, in spite of being rejected by friends and humored by parents, believes in her heart that unicorns really do exist! This parallel story will be a hit with such little girls, “of course of course of course.”
I’m not sure how original the name “Uni” is, my lips want to say “Unice.” I wonder why the unicorn is named but not the little girl. I did not know that unicorns have golden hoov
Barbara
While Uni the Unicorn endures the scorn of friends and family because she is sure there is a little girl somewhere out there, waiting to spend time with her, and they know there is no such thing, someone really is waiting for her. After all, little girls aren't real. Or are they? And if little girls who dream of sliding down rainbows with unicorns are real, then maybe, oh, just maybe, unicorns are too. The lovely endpapers and colorful illustrations filled with magical scenes enhance the simple ...more
Henrico Youth Boo...: Uni the Unicorn 1 6 Oct 27, 2014 09:15AM

• How to Catch a Unicorn
  • Uni's First Sleepover
  • The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark
  • A Unicorn Named Sparkle (A Unicorn Named Sparkle #1)
  • Don't Call Me Bear!
  • Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great
  • Dragons Love Tacos
  • Not Quite Narwhal
  • You Don't Want a Unicorn!
  • Tomorrow I'll Be Kind
  • This Is Baby
  • Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to Be in This Book)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Birthday?
  • Grumpy Monkey
  • Day Dreamers: A Journey of Imagination
  • Lola Dutch
  • Thelma the Unicorn
  • Bats at the Library

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something o

Uni the Unicorn (5 books)
  • Uni the Unicorn and the Dream Come True (Uni the Unicorn, #2)
  • A Valentine for Uni the Unicorn