Start by marking “Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)

Uni the Unicorn

(Uni the Unicorn #1)

An original picture book about a unicorn from bestselling author Amy Krouse Rosenthal (Plant a Kiss).

In this clever twist on the age-old belief that there’s no such thing as unicorns, Uni the unicorn is told there’s no such thing as little girls! No matter what the grown-up unicorns say, Uni believes that little girls are real. Somewhere there must be a smart, strong, wonderfulKiss).
Published August 26th 2014 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2014)

Start your review of Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)
Rachel Reads Ravenously
I FOUND ANOTHER CUTE PICTURE BOOK!!!

photo uni.png

Uni the Unicorn is a story of a young, dazzling unicorn who dreams of a far off land where little girls exist. It can be overly cute at times, but I think this is a perfect book for all of you who have a little girl in your lives. I love the cute story, and the artwork/illustrations are what make the book even better!
Amy Rae
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Man, I started this book and was all ready to rate it five stars. And then I came to the end. What a letdown.

This reads like half a book. We're introduced to a unicorn silly enough to believe in little girls, and a little girl silly enough to believe in unicorns, and then...that's it. They don't meet. They don't do anything. Fuckall actually happens in this book--it's thirty-two pages of exposition. And while the subtitle, "a story about believing," makes that mildly interesting, I guess, Wa
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 spectacular stars for this fantastic children’s book!

The perfect story for any little unicorn lovers in your life! 🦄
Jessica
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute cute cute and more cute!
The artwork is cute, the story is cute. I just wish it was a little longer.
Julia
Story was cute but LOVED the illustrations. Like if Lisa Frank grew up to be a hipster who drew colorful magical things with a vaguely vintage aesthetic.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

I am a fan of Rosenthal's other picture books, but sadly, this was a let down for me. Lovely, vintage-y illustrations, but a story that seems rather weak and ends very abruptly. It really feels as though we are missing another third of the story, i.e. do the girl and Uni ever meet? What's the uptake of the story?
Feral goblin child 🍃
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading this to my little sister. She’s enjoying it a lot, and we have a very own magical world what our mother created, and we already made a crossover 😁 The art is gorgeous
Lola
Feb 17, 2018 added it
Shelves: picture-books
Well this was unexpected. I mean this in the best possible way.

For once, it’s the unicorn believing in a supposedly mythological creature and not the other way around (but also the other way around at some point). Let me make this clearer: Uni is a unicorn that loves being a unicorn.

But there’s something missing. She believes there is someone out there—a human girl—waiting for her to become best friends. That is her wish. Perhaps her life will be complete once she meets the little g
Alexandra
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
i saw this beautifully illustrated and colorful book on a display at barnes and noble and i couldn't resist reading it. and it was adorable!

uni is a unicorn that is different from all the other unicorns, not because of anything physical that sets her apart, but because of a belief that she has. i didn't know anything about this book going in and it was such an awesome little surprise of what that belief was, and it just melted my heart 💕👧🏻

i think this will definitely be a
Rachael (RedRchlReads)
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Uni the Unicorn was such a sweet, fun story about believing things are real, even if everyone tells you otherwise. The illustrations are gorgeous, and I loved the setup of this story. The ending felt a bit abrupt though, and I wish we could have had a longer story. My daughter loves the pretty colors and reaches for it often!

[Placeholder for Memento novella; not on GR]
Ricki
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I would have adored this book as a child. Uni the Unicorn ignores her unicorn friends and refuses to believe that little girls are real. Not too far away, a girl believes that unicorns are real, as well. This would be a great book to read to kids who have difficulty believing in the fantastic. I found the illustrations to be magical and the characterization to be lovely. I wish it was a bit more gender neutral, but I will absolutely read this to my son when he is a bit older. Then again, my son ...more
Ally McCulloch
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good unicorn fun for everyone.
Sheila
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A lovely children's book about a unicorn, and a young girl, and about the power of believing. MOst of the story centers on the unicorn. I see from reviews that some didn't like the ending of the book, but I think the message of the book, the message on the power of believing, is what makes the ending work. Do you believe?
Michele Knott
Sweet story, I love the story tagline - "a story about believing". But I thought the story just ended. I wanted it to go further. I think if you hold on to the idea that the story is about believing, and just that, I can see why it ended that way. I wanted more :) Especially the beautiful artwork! Young girls are going to eat this book up and have it memorized!
Kris
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are adorable, and while this is certainly not Amy Krouse Rosenthal’s best, it is going to appeal to anyone who loves unicorns, which is probably a large percentage of her audience. 😂
Lea
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
My niece and I love unicorns. We read this together. Sometimes books are even better because of who and/or where you read them. This is a sweet little book and I look forward to checking out the sequel.
Rosie
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read an ARC and the illustrations are gorgeous. I would love to order prints of some of the pages :) So. Pretty.
Amanda
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: breanna
Adorable story. Getting next in series for babe tomorrow! So so cute
Jamie
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Very cute. I love the reverse thoughts of the unicorn believing in little girls. Colorful too. Loved the purple mane. A nice change from the standard white.
Olivia
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a good book
Ginny
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What if unicorns dreamed of little girls, like little girls dreamed of unicorns?
Shelby Summerville
Uni the Unicorn, written by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Bridgette Barrager, is a magical book about believing. Uni is like all the other unicorn, magnificent mane, golden hooves, sparkling eyes, swirly horn with healing powers, and she can make wishes come true. The one thing that made Uni different was that she believed in little girls. Her friends laughed at her for it and her parents just brushed it off, but Uni believed. Uni imagined all the things she would do with a little girl ...more
theGraveyard Librarian
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
3 from me but I was "encouraged" by the five year old to bump it up to 4 stars.
La Coccinelle
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
There's not much of a plot to this little story (the synopsis pretty much covers it), but it's still a fun book. I thought the unicorn who believes in little girls was actually pretty amusing, and the charming pictures that illustrate the story are really what make it work. Barrager apparently spent some time working with Disney and Pixar, and the illustrations in this book are definitely reminiscent of some of the retro-styled animation we've seen from them.

I can see this being popu
Lynn
A unicorn who believes that little girls are real! What a new twist on the old favorite story where a little girl, in spite of being rejected by friends and humored by parents, believes in her heart that unicorns really do exist! This parallel story will be a hit with such little girls, “of course of course of course.”
I’m not sure how original the name “Uni” is, my lips want to say “Unice.” I wonder why the unicorn is named but not the little girl. I did not know that unicorns have golde
Barbara
While Uni the Unicorn endures the scorn of friends and family because she is sure there is a little girl somewhere out there, waiting to spend time with her, and they know there is no such thing, someone really is waiting for her. After all, little girls aren't real. Or are they? And if little girls who dream of sliding down rainbows with unicorns are real, then maybe, oh, just maybe, unicorns are too. The lovely endpapers and colorful illustrations filled with magical scenes enhance the simple ...more
Megan
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it

The only reason I'm not giving five stars is because the story was way too short. I needed more. Give me a sequel to Uni the Unicorn, please. This explosion of cuteness lives in a rainbow, technicolor world and centers on hope, love, and believing in magic. All of this dazzly goody gumdrop-ness sets up the perfect sweet story of a unicorn and little girl destined to meet each other and frolic and play and love each other. But then it ends. I absolutely loved the illustrations in th
Robin
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: junebug-s-books
The story was fine, and a couple of Junebug's readers became interested with the "little girls aren't real" comment and the pretty unicorns. But for most of the 4-6 year olds with whom she was READing, it was clearly a miss.

The illustrations were the biggest disappointment with a white unicorn, pink and blue gender identified parents, and blonde white girl with white parents. And those making fun of the white unicorn and girl for their beliefs? They were colored.
Kristen
AKR, (as all her closest friends that she doesn't know personally call her), is the queen of flipping the point of view. LITTLE PEA, LITTLE HOOT, LITTLE OINK, etc. So I was so excited to see a story of Uni, the unicorn who believes in little girls. Yes! The art is retro-funky and cool. But the end left me hanging....the longing continues with no satisfying resolution.
Elise*HereForTheRomance*
Very cute story about a unicorn who is convinced that little girl's are real, and that somewhere out there is a little girl waiting to be her best friend. The story is cute and that art is wonderful.
Henrico Youth Boo...: Uni the Unicorn 1 6 Oct 27, 2014 09:15AM

• A Unicorn Named Sparkle (A Unicorn Named Sparkle #1)
  • How to Catch a Unicorn
  • Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great
  • The Girl Who Named Pluto: The Story of Venetia Burney
  • I'm a Unicorn (Little Golden Book)
  • Not Quite Narwhal
  • Sophie Johnson, Unicorn Expert
  • You Don't Want a Unicorn!
  • The Evil Princess vs. the Brave Knight
  • Skulls!
  • Just Add Glitter
  • Rocket Says Look Up!

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The M

Uni the Unicorn (2 books)
  • Uni the Unicorn and the Dream Come True (Uni the Unicorn, #2)