Start by marking “Not Very Scary” as Want to Read:
Not Very Scary

Not Very Scary

Melly is a brave little monster who is not afraid of anything. She loves surprises, and when her fun-loving cousin invites her over for a big surprise, Melly excitedly sets out for a visit. On her way, she notices skittish skeletons, a coal-black cat, and even ghoulish goblins following her. But Melly is not scared, no she’s not! Well, maybe just a teensy bit . . .
Published August 12th 2014 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published May 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Not Very Scary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Very Scary

Shiloah
Cute family read aloud.
Shawn Thrasher
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A perfect little Halloween read for the little monsters and ghouls in your life - a sort of twelve days of Christmas with a Halloween twist. Greg Pizzoli’s illustrations are, once again, terrific; in this case, adorable and charming. I particularly liked his 1960s flavored vultures.
Andrea
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: _picture
Props to my boy Greg Pizzoli, I love all his work. This is fun and cute and very Halloweeny, but it feels a bit long and nothing seems unexpected. I did love the fact that Melly gets louder as the story goes on, and the descriptions of her fear reactions are fun.
Tracey
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
picture book (counting, not-too-scary halloween; toddlers/preschoolers 2.5 and up?)
The cartoony pictures (cute, not scary), and the interaction of the counting and participatory storytelling (completing the sentence "Then she saw..." with what appears on the next page spread), and the repetition (recounting each group of creatures in a list as the story progresses) make this a good choice for younger kids. This would definitely work for storytime or for a one-on-one readaloud, though you may end
Megan
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
The brave Melly sets out for a Halloween party only to encounter an increasing amount of decidedly "not very scary" creatures along the way. The text gets a little long-winded as it progresses, but the book's colorful illustrations and playful repetitions make it a enjoyable Halloween read.
Donna Mork
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: counting
Counting up from one to ten, a girl goes to a party, but on the way she sees some things that she says aren't very scary, but they kind of were. She finally gets to the party and it turns out the 1-10 are actually party guests. It wasn't so scary after all.
Hααℓєу♡  Ƒιѕнєя
Fun halloween counting book.
Dottie
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My kids loved it! It was super funny not scary.
Sarah Baker
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-thomas, kids
Basic counting skills
Kayte
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-with-kyle
We read a lot of Halloween books. This one is not very... anything. It’s not bad, it’s not good. It has some counting and Halloween creatures. That’s about it.
Lindsay Schiltz
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't care for reading it. But my child really enjoyed it.
Egallagher2016gmail.Com
I like that there are lots pf monsters at a party.
Luke
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: halloween
A real fun counting book that Mommy wanted to read to me over and over again.
Janae Ricks
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A perfect Halloween book for children who get scared! This book makes all the scary things about Halloween seem like friends. I adore the illustrations! (picture book)
Kendra
We love spooky Halloween stories in the month of Halloween. So we grabbed this book to add to our collection to read this month. "Not Very Scary" by Carol Brendler was published on August 12th, 2014. It's about a girl named Melly who is a brave monster who is not scared of anything. She loves surprises and when her fun loving cousin invites her over for a surprise Melly sets out for a visit. On her way she notices different Halloween characters.

This book is so much fun with the text by the autho
Mary Ann
A new favorite with our kindergarten teachers is Not Very Scary. They love this cumulative story not only for its counting practice, but also for its message. While we all might get a little bit scared at Halloween, it's really just all our friends having fun.

Melly, a cute litte monster, is excited to walk over to her cousin Malberta's house for a Halloween party. Sure it's a gloomy night, but Melly isn't scared--even when she sees "a coal-black cat with an itchy-twitchy tail." She tells herself
Karen Arendt
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked Greg Pizzoli's The Watermelon Seed, so I checked this book out, too. This book would be fun for Halloween as the girl monster, Mellie, travels to her friend, Malberta's house for a surprise. Along the way, some scary creatures start to follow her: one cat, two, skeletons, three witches,etc. Readers will have fun counting up to ten the scary creatures that follow Mellie as well as the alliteration for the creature: skittish skeletons, wheezy witches, etc. The ending is perfect for young c ...more
Barbara
Nothing much scares Melly. After all, she's a monster. But when she sets off alone for a party at her cousin's house, she becomes sure that something is following her. At first it's just a black cat, but as each page passes, she realizes that there is quite a collection of scary things right behind her. Although she tries hard to deny her fright, she's relieved to finally reach her destination. Perfect for sharing as Halloween approaches, this picture book has a surprise in store for Melly when ...more
Rebecca Honeycutt
A Halloween cumulative counting book full of juicy vocabulary words, making it an entertaining readaloud or an interesting challenge to share one-on-one with an emerging reader. Pizzoli's appealingly clean and cartoony style works nicely for the gentle tone of the story, and the increasing visual mayhem in the illustrations will demand repeat readings.
Melissa Neufer
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: toddler-books
What a great way to learn to count! It's fun! It's simple to follow along and you can easily sing it to the tune of "12 Days of Christmas" as I found myself doing by the time we got to 5 grimy goblins. Plus one of my nicknames is Melly so I was very happy to see the main characters name was the same. Cute book.
Alice
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-25-stars
A Halloween, counting book with fun pictures. It is a kids books and yes I get that but the repetition of the numbers I wanted to scream and then it started hearing with the "12 Days of Christmas" tune in my mind to AND " One coal-black cat with an itchy-twithcy tale. Just shoot me! :-) Cute ending! Fun!
Carol
Cute and colorful illustrations. A progressive counting book. Good vocabulary progression as well, from "not the least bit scary" all the way up to "not tremendously scary" and everything in between. This is a fun, only the very slightest bit spooky, Halloween story that will delight small children.
Nanci Booher
A fun counting Halloween story....Melly isn't afraid of much but as she is walking to a party, she is being followed...first by 1 black cat, then 2 skittish skeletons....fun illustrations and text that kids will catch on to.
Bridgette Elston
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
ok, take two...

I can see this as a teaching tool but as a bedtime story was painful.

Fun pictures, good counting practice, and excellent alliteration.

But it didn't skip a single step so you had to cumulatively mention every single character.... think "12 days of Christmas" as a book...
Jess Verzello
Sep 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: el-ed-340
A fun Halloween counting book that is reminiscent of the 12 Days of Christmas. A fun read aloud for homes or classrooms around the holiday. I especially enjoyed the counting characters' illustrations and homage to a few well known references.
Samantha
A cumulative Halloween counting book in which a little witch named Melly is invited to a party and encounters spooky Halloween sights on her way to the bash.

Nice vocabulary used; good read aloud that's not too scary for PreK-2.
Ruth Ann
Melly has received an invitation to visit Malberta and is on her way to Malberta's house on the scariest night of the year.

Melly is very brave on her walk as she meets some "not very scary" creatures.
b.andherbooks
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A great message for little ones before Halloween about things not being "very scary." I only wish it rhymed a bit more, because some of the phrasing is a bit of a mouthful (especially when you have to re-read it ten times before bed). My 2 1/2 year old loves it.
Vicki
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
A cute and fun Halloween story for young ones.
Shannon Pauley
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nice repetition for young readers. Greg Pizzoli's illustrations are, as always, a lot of fun

• Shivery Shades of Halloween
  • Paul Meets Bernadette
  • Skeleton for Dinner
  • The Great Thanksgiving Escape
  • Little Goblins Ten
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • My Lucky Birthday
  • Ladybug Girl and the Dress-up Dilemma
  • Circle, Square, Moose
  • Here Comes Santa Cat
  • A Crankenstein Valentine
  • Monster Trucks
  • Whose Nose and Toes?
Carol is the author of WINNIE FINN, WORM FARMER, a picture book illustrated by Ard Hoyt (FSG) and RADIO GIRL, an upper-middle grade (or YA) novel about a girl caught in the middle of the 1938 "War of the Worlds" panic broadcast, Holiday House, 2013. NOT VERY SCARY, a picture book illustrated by Greg Pizzoli is slated for release in August, 2014 (FSG), and another picture book is forthcoming from C ...more