Start by marking “The World Book Encyclopedia” as Want to Read:
The World Book Encyclopedia

The World Book Encyclopedia

Book News wrote about a previous edition of this classic reference: The best encyclopedia is the one that gets used<-->and World Book has expended much effort studying the habits of readers, school curricula, and patterns of classroom use to ensure that this encyclopedia is one that will indeed be used. The result is a colorful, well-cross-referenced and easy-to-use ...more
Published by World Book

To ask other readers questions about The World Book Encyclopedia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World Book Encyclopedia

Jemal Yesuf
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with The World Book Encyclopedia series while I was in middle school. Growing up without a TV in our house, these books were my sole window to the world of information. Every time I stopped by the library, I would grab a couple of volumes and randomly open a page and sit for 30mins or sometimes several hours reading random but breathtaking stories about world history, cultures, geography, famous people, groundbreaking inventions, etc. The best part of all was the illustrations, th ...more
Carolyn Page
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh, the hours I whiled away reading the 1968 World Book Encyclopedia (rescued from my Grandpa's basement). I wish I still had them now that he's gone.
Keri Koleski Price
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amber Thompson
Apr 22, 2012 marked it as to-read
World book encyclopedia (2002). Chicago: World Book Inc.

Citation created by- Amber Thompson

Call Number- 031

Description- 22 volumes, illustrations with some color, colored maps

Content Scope- Covers a broad range of topics listed in alphabetical order

Accuracy/Authority- The World Book editors are credible. They have published editions of World Book since 1917 and continue to provide editions of the encyclopedia that are accurate and easy to use.

Arrangement/Presentation-22 volumes in alphabetical
Jill Messer
Name: Jill Messer
Title: World Book, Inc. (Ed.). (2011). The world book encyclopedia. Chicago, IL: World Book, Inc.
Call Number: R 031 W893
Brief Description: The World Book Encyclopedia is a comprehensive source of information on all topics arranged by letters of the alphabet. The resource offers illustrations and is useful for all ranges of Citation of a Review: Booklist review. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://booklistonline.com/The-World-B....
Cost: $1077.00
Relevance
Melanie Wyatt
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all ages
Shelves: reference-shelf
Reviewed by: Melanie Wyatt
Category: Encyclopedia
Call #: REF 031 WOR
Price: $699.00
Retrieved from http://www.worldbook.com/home?wbredir...

Description: The World Book Encyclopedia encompasses a variety of information. This item is a must have for classroom reference projects and includes a plethora of information for readers of all ages.
Content/scope: The purpose of the book, content and scope are geared tow
Tom
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
World Book (eds.). (2008). World book encyclopedia. Chicago: World Book.

Citation created by: Tom Shaw

Call Number: AE5 .W55 2008

Description: World Book Encyclopedia is a 22 volume set of general knowledge for the high school student and adult lerarner.

Content/Scope: The volumes are heavily illustrated with photos, drawings, maps, and tables and many of the entries include practical discussion that students can use.

Accuracy/Authority: This book has received mostly positive reviews by reputable rev
Rachel
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edes-546, non-fiction
World Book Encyclopedia. (2005). Chicago, IL. World Book Inc.

This 22 volume set of encyclopedias (the most current found at my public library) seem to be a good reference guide. There are several pictures as well as an information section telling people how to use the encyclopedia. Within the encyclopedia, articles are written with content and interest levels in mind. For example, articles aimed at younger students will have the reading level matched to them. More complex topics also use more co
Barbara C
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
The World Book Encyclopedia. World Book Inc./Scott Fetzer Company, 2007.

Genre: Encyclopedia, reference
Recommended age level: Intermediate (8-12 years)
Subjects: general reference source

This revised edition of the classic A-Z general encyclopedia contains 22 highly-illustrated volumes. It is intended to be used by all ages, although the language used lends itself to intermediate readers and up. The simple yet highly informative text is supplemented by many photographs, illustrations, diagrams,
Elizabeth Mccord
Citation by: Elizabeth McCord
Call Number: REF 031
Description: 22 Volume set of encyclopedias that cover a vast array of topics.
Relevance and Relationship: Contains articles and research on thousands of topics.
Purpose: One stop source that cover countless subjects found in one set.
Validity: It is one of the most recognized set of encyclopedias. It has been around for many years
Samantha Tabor
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference-shelf
World Book, I. c. (2013). The World Book Encyclopedia. World Book, Inc.
Call Number: 031
Brief Description: Usually one of the first choices for librarians alike, the World Book Encyclopedia is full of thousands of photographs, articles and expert contributors.
Retrieved from: WKU Libraries Database: Children’s Core Collection (http://web.ebscohost.com.libsrv.wku.edu/)
Content/Scope: Dozens of articles, about topics such as Pixar Animation Studios, rhythm and blues,
Tiffany Morgan
Apr 24, 2016 marked it as to-read
World book encyclopedia (2002). Chicago: World Book Inc.

Citation: Tiffany Morgan

Call Number: Ref 031

Content/Scope: This World Book Encyclopedia set covers a broad range of topics listed in alphabetical order.

Accuracy/Authority/Bias: World Book has been printing encyclopedias for years and are well known. It is a classic reference.

Arrangement/Presentation: There are 22 volumes and includes illustrations with some color.

Accessibility/Diversity: This set is easy
Jordan Wade
Nov 30, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: reference
Fixico, D. (2003). World book enclyclopedia. (2003 ed., Vol. 15). Chicago: World Book, Inc. London, England: Usborne Pub.
Citation created by: Jordan Wade
Call Number: 031
Description: Provides information on multiple topics ranging from A-Z. The colorful illustration and easy to understand text makes this a great reference for students.
Content/Scope: Grades 3-6
Accuracy/Authority: World Books, Inc has been publishing encyclopedias since 1917.
Relation to Similar Works: Previous and newer editions
Anton Caldwell
Apr 29, 2012 marked it as to-read
World Book Inc. (2011) The World Book Encyclopedia
ISBN – not listed @ worldbook.com. $1,291
Content/Scope: One cannot get much broader a scope than this set of encyclopaedia’s, and its scope includes all historical times, up to 2011.
Accuracy/Authority: World Book is considered an authority in the encyclopedic world and carries the authority that comes with such standing.
Arrangement/Presentation: Alphabetically arranged, in separate volumes. Visually satisfying and very thorough.
Rationale: A rece
Heather
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 3 and up
Shelves: edes-546
2010 Print Edition (ISBN 978-0-7166-0110-4)

This 22 volume set has pictures of a variety of cultures and people on the spine and covers. More current topics and popular culture are included in this edition. The articles increase in reading level as you read, so there is information at a variety of reading levels included.

The pictures are bright and beautiful and the information is endless. It's unfortunate that these reference books aren't used like they once were. All of the information is now a
Golden Secondary School
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edes-564, non-fiction
Kobasa, P.A. (Ed.). (2006). The World Book Encyclopedia. Chicago: World Book, Inc. ISBN: 0716601036.

This set of encyclopedias aims to meet the academic needs of elementary through high school students.

The images, diagrams and charts included enhance the accessible text. Students who are not strong readers would struggle with the sheer amount of text on a page, however, the vibrant, detailed illustrations would prompt further examination from many students and teachers.

Recommend for all school
Chris Gager
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I picked up a set of these plus Yearbooks through 2007(?) at the local transfer station. The year is 1994 so it's not too far back. I've already been browsing. There's another whole set still in the trailer.. If no one claims it by Saturday I'm going to grab them and try to sell them. I don't have a computer at home so this will be nice to have. I'm in the middle of Robert Caro's book about Robert Moses, one of the most powerful men in America during the 20th century. He's not in the Encylopedia ...more
M. Lawrence
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As a child, I spent many hours perusing the articles throughout this well-written encyclopedia series. I like to think that I've won a lot of trivia games since because of all of the fascinating bits of knowledge i gained in its pages. This review is about the 1975 edition, though I imagine the series improved since then. With the advent of the internet and Wikipedia, I'm afraid the encyclopedia's days are numbered, but it was great while it lasted.
Chris King
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Had about a 1960 version of this at the house, and I'd read them just for fun, went through just about every page of every volume trolling for fun facts.
Really adding this in place of the current year--we have 2008 right now!
Unnikrishnan
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Before Wikipedia came along, this was my window to the world of knowledge!
John Bogle