Start by marking “The Concise 48 Laws of Power” as Want to Read:
The Concise 48 Laws of Power

The Concise 48 Laws of Power

Published 2011 by Viva Books (first published October 28th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Concise 48 Laws of Power, please sign up.
Brandon Nankivell I just finished reading the conscise, worth the time. Personally I found it more engaging and would rather read this book twice than the full version …moreI just finished reading the conscise, worth the time. Personally I found it more engaging and would rather read this book twice than the full version which I have sitting at home.(less)

Start your review of The Concise 48 Laws of Power
Sara
Apr 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book does not have to be construed as a means to cruel and heartless power any more than Sun Tzu's The Art of War should be viewed as such. Are some power tactics manipulative? Yes. Does getting to the top sometimes involve taking an opportunity away from someone else? Yes. Is power necessarily a bad thing? No. Often, yes. Though this is not necessarily the case. Greene outlines a number of the aspects of power, giving concrete and interesting examples from history.

For those that say they
Manal
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Now here is the thing about this book; it's mean, it's ruthless but it's all true.

At the very first pages I was like 'this writer right here teaches us to lie, and to manipulate people'. when I continued reading I found out that some of the laws he's talking about are already implemented around us by people we know.

Some skills are born with us, some are learned. this book is an eye opening to what goes around us and how people with certain skills get what they want.
The book usually uses the term
Daniel Taylor
This is the first time I've read the 48 Laws -- in condensed form or otherwise. When the main book was on the bestseller list, I opened it up expecting a bunch of nice, typical self-help laws. What I got slapped in the face with was a harsh dose of reality. These laws are not "nice," but they do guide you in how to really gain power in life. I look forward to reading the larger work now.
Arun Divakar
Dec 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you do not keep an open mind about the contents of this book, it will come across as selfish, brutal and downright ruthless. But all said and done it is very pragmatic a book. In here I found 48 ways of looking at what the author thought are principles that made and kept people in power.

Peel away the historic significances and the anecdotes and these are things you see around you : in corporate boardrooms, news networks and the political circus all carry these lessons through them. Robert Gr
Jom Samson
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Some who have read this might say the author is ruthless, selfish, brutal and has no friends. I beg to differ. He simply put into words what most of us fear or hate the most, the truth. He never sugarcoated anything, hence the harshness.

I am not a sucker for anecdotes, but I like how he enforced his ideas with them. While most of them are easy to grasp, some takes a re-read or two to correlate with the law spoken of. Again, it must have been the dyslexic in me.

Two things, though: One, as brilli
Lena Nechet
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I wish someone had warned me about most of it early in life, it would have saved me so much time and energy lost on dominance-seeking people, and would have helped me escape the boredom of such interactions.
Ally
Jun 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Pretty sure Donald Trump lives by this book.
Mardin Uzeri
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alright folks, here we go

Firstly, obligatory shout-out to Fight Mediocrity for convincing me that this would be a worthy time investment.

To put things straight, I am not much into self-help books. However, this one packs a punch. It ain't the conventional "be kind and people will love you" babble. It's more along the lines of "people are a******s and here is how to deal with their b******". As Fight Mediocrity claims, this is the essential counterpart to Carnegie's book, yet to read that but I
Jan Hilado
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommendations
Recommended reading atleast once in your lifetime.
Paul Mamani
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
✘ Law 1: Never outshine the master.
✔ Law 1: Stay humble and respect your mentors.

✘ Law 2: Never put too much trust in friends, learn to use enemies.
✔ Law 2: Don’t use people. Understand we all make mistakes, and set up your life so that the actions of your friends or enemies does not make or break you.

✘ Law 3: Conceal your intentions.
✔ Law 3: Keep your intentions pure and for the good of the world. You will radiate more power than being shady.

✘ Law 4: Always say less than necessary.
✔ Law 4: S
Fatema Hussein
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book with all thoughts organized, easy to read and follow. It's a cynical book if taken straight to the heart, I don't think power should be that plotted although we can't deny many leaders follow 75% of the laws in the book. If read in a way to understand the people around you and the laws they follow in their reign then it will give you more authority and power to deal with them. But power is sometimes more situation-based on the moment you're in. We already know a lot of this informatio ...more
Prabesh Gautam
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
JUST A POINT OF VIEW OF MINE..
This book is great indeed but for people who want the absolute power.. who want to control others, etc...
But deep down if u just want to help people. It might not be the best book for you. For me all that matters is helpfulness and happiness. For example: in this book it says don't let anyone know how you do things but I am like.. if anyone benefits I would be happy to share even if they use it for anything. .
Bla bla bla
ENIGMATIC FOOL
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book on how to behave in the modern world for power
Ahmed Al Mousawi
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books
Drew
Jul 30, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked the book in practicality and found many useful tools to increase your worth and protect yourself. The obvious knock on the book is that, if placed in the wrong hands, it could be all the motivation a truly evil person would need to dominate others. For that reason, I can’t recommend the book to most.
Sumit Pawar
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
To be honest i did not enjoyed the book fully because i find the content of the book completely alien to my social culture and my personal belief system but still i read it couple of times and went on to buy the full version of the book to understand the ruthless art of playing the game, which was not taught in our popular Indian/Dharmic Narrative. We people believe in goodness for all, prosperity for all and opportunities for all as per their capabilities.

The book is ruthless for sure but its a
Ridhima
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book back in high school, but couldn't understand most of the things at that time. I couldn't think of any "enemy" whom I would want to "crush", so I gave up reading it after a few chapters. Since now I have entered an environment, where I need to deal with a lot of competition and thrive to get myself noticed, I started reading this book again.
On completing the 195 pages of this book, I was really grateful that I didn't try to understand it back in my teenage, lest treachery wou
Steven
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't normally read concise editions, but this was very good. Good enough that I'd like to buy the full edition for more elaborate examples from the past.

I think the book is very well-thought-out, and the approach is, at times, unarguable. There are some minor contradictions in the advice, some of it is quite callous and borderline sociopathic/perverse (though shows why so many leaders, especially in business, can exhibit sociopathic tendencies without any seeming repercussions), but overall t
Tim Pendry

This a companion piece to the Joost Elffers book on seduction reviewed earlier [ https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... ] but it is about power rather than sex and is a concise version.

It is interesting as far as it goes and is mostly (like the book on seduction) cynical common sense about human nature and its relationship, in this case, to authority and power.

Much of it derives from anecdotes from pre-modern history although, of course, our world (though not human nature) has changed a great
Miquixote
No scandal will ever stick to you if you follow these Machiavellian rules. In the power world, you’re just acting like a winner. If someone else gets stepped on, they are obviously a loser.

These guys play by a completely different set of rules. You don’t need to be objectively good or decent. Just be obsessed with discipline and repetition: embody these rules, project them, repeat them. If you stay focussed, very little can touch you.

This is entirely amoral.
They would say it’s just being smar
Alain Dib
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I read this first book of Green because i've had a glimpse of it somewhere and got intrigued as well as interested I wanted to by the classic one but it wasn't available so I thought I might as well go with this one and evaluate it.
To say the least I totally loved it as it is very engaging from the start it pulls the reader inside of the book brings out a new world makes you wonder.
The work Green put in it is very interesting you can clearly see all the hard work he had done to create a book fro
P.H. Wilson
Apr 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Real rating 6.9/10
If it were not for the things written in red this work would have received a 3/10

I could not imagine wanting to read the full version of this work as Mr. Greene has not really contributed anything. The book would have been much better if one had simply listed the 48 laws and the short parables and tales that emphasize each. Greene's addition to these great sages comes off as a hollow version of Machiavelli that ultimately breaks several of the rules it champions.
The book itself
Marcos
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't in all honesty read past the 5th law. The perspective from which this book approaches life, and advises you on how to gain power in it, is so destructive and dark on many levels that I chose not to continue reading. I give this book credit for two things: first of all, being written in a very intriguing way (which made me hesitant whether or not I should continue reading, because on the one hand the style kept me interested and curious yet on the other hand the content made me sad for ...more
Calvin
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A book that changes the way you look at pretty much everything. From elements and relationships in your personal life to how you conduct yourself in the workplace. With so much to draw from for practical applications. I feel that this book should be made mandatory for anyone who wants to get anywhere with their life. An Indispensable addition to any bookshelf.
Amna
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short summary book of the international bestseller book “the 48 laws of power”. I used to read everyday a law of this book and it kind of reminded me of “the art of war” because they both hand you a strategies to be a different person..to be powerful. It will expose you to the real world and the real people whom you deal with. Great lessons!
T
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, Robert Greene the modern day Balthasar Gracian gives timeless advice of how to operate in life and defend against Machiavellian types. This will definitely change your outlook on life and situations, whether that is beneficial or otherwise.
Amoral and informative 10/10
Ryan Finlayson
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa! What a read. Very brutal but it is honest, true and relevant. Definitely considering the full-text version, to see more examples of the laws.
Sharwari Kulkarni
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You can't even think the way things work! 100% political guide. Must read for everyone!
Laurent K.
This was a interesting read. I debated for what seemed like 5 minutes in which shelve to place this book: self-help or psychology? At the end I went for psychology to not give a wrong idea to whoever might see this review on what the book is about. Sure, it counts as self-help by listing methods in which one can influence other decisions (such as getting their help and refraining from creating enemies) but by psychological approaches such as by pleasing to their emotions and wants. That is a imp ...more
Mohammed Barakat
Unless you are greedy, hungry and lusting for power The 48 Laws of Power would not appeal to you much. To me the book was written for those who have real need to gain power at the expense of others even if it costs one's integrity, honesty and the real sense of leadership.

I believe that The 48 Laws of Power is a collection of precious advice in the time of war and political conflicts. It is useful in the live-or-die situations where lack of power incurs a real threat. Although some Laws give foo
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The 50th Law
  • The Art of War/The Art of Warfare
  • 48 Laws of Power Book Summary
  • Behold a Pale Horse
  • Summary: The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene
  • The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists
  • The Rational Male – Preventive Medicine
  • The Rational Male - Positive Masculinity
  • Summary: The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene
  • The Prince
  • The Rational Male
  • Summary of the Laws of Human Nature by Robert Greene
  • The Way of the Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Women, Work, and Sexual Desire
  • The 48 Laws of Power: Robert Greene --- Chapter by Chapter Summary (The 48 Laws Of Power: A Chapter by Chapter Summary--- Book, Summary, Audiobook, Paperback, Hardcover)
  • The Art of War
  • The Prince and Other Writings
  • What They Don't Teach You at Harvard Business School: Notes from a Street-Smart Executive
  • What Women Want When They Test Men: How To Decode Female Behavior, Pass A Woman's Tests, And Attract Women Through Authenticity
There is more than one author by this name on Goodreads.

Best-selling author and public speaker, Robert Greene was born in Los Angeles. He attended U.C. California at Berkeley and the University of Wisconsin at Madison, where he received a degree in classical studies. He has worked in New York as an editor and writer at several magazines, including Esquire; and in Hollywood as a story developer and

News & Interviews