Start by marking “The Concise 48 Laws of Power” as Want to Read:
The Concise 48 Laws of Power

The Concise 48 Laws of Power

Published 2011 by Viva Books (first published October 28th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Concise 48 Laws of Power, please sign up.
Brandon Nankivell I just finished reading the conscise, worth the time. Personally I found it more engaging and would rather read this book twice than the full version…moreI just finished reading the conscise, worth the time. Personally I found it more engaging and would rather read this book twice than the full version which I have sitting at home.(less)

Sara
Apr 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book does not have to be construed as a means to cruel and heartless power any more than Sun Tzu's The Art of War should be viewed as such. Are some power tactics manipulative? Yes. Does getting to the top sometimes involve taking an opportunity away from someone else? Yes. Is power necessarily a bad thing? No. Often, yes. Though this is not necessarily the case. Greene outlines a number of the aspects of power, giving concrete and interesting examples from history.

For those that say they
Manal
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Now here is the thing about this book; it's mean, it's ruthless but it's all true.

At the very first pages I was like 'this writer right here teaches us to lie, and to manipulate people'. when I continued reading I found out that some of the laws he's talking about are already implemented around us by people we know.

Some skills are born with us, some are learned. this book is an eye opening to what goes around us and how people with certain skills get what they want.
The book usually uses the term
Arun Divakar
Dec 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you do not keep an open mind about the contents of this book, it will come across as selfish, brutal and downright ruthless. But all said and done it is very pragmatic a book. In here I found 48 ways of looking at what the author thought are principles that made and kept people in power.

Peel away the historic significances and the anecdotes and these are things you see around you : in corporate boardrooms, news networks and the political circus all carry these lessons through them. Robert Gr
Daniel Taylor
This is the first time I've read the 48 Laws -- in condensed form or otherwise. When the main book was on the bestseller list, I opened it up expecting a bunch of nice, typical self-help laws. What I got slapped in the face with was a harsh dose of reality. These laws are not "nice," but they do guide you in how to really gain power in life. I look forward to reading the larger work now.
Jom Samson
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Some who have read this might say the author is ruthless, selfish, brutal and has no friends. I beg to differ. He simply put into words what most of us fear or hate the most, the truth. He never sugarcoated anything, hence the harshness.

I am not a sucker for anecdotes, but I like how he enforced his ideas with them. While most of them are easy to grasp, some takes a re-read or two to correlate with the law spoken of. Again, it must have been the dyslexic in me.

Two things, though: One, as brilli
Mardin Uzeri
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alright folks, here we go

Firstly, obligatory shout-out to Fight Mediocrity for convincing me that this would be a worthy time investment.

To put things straight, I am not much into self-help books. However, this one packs a punch. It ain't the conventional "be kind and people will love you" babble. It's more along the lines of "people are a******s and here is how to deal with their b******". As Fight Mediocrity claims, this is the essential counterpart to Carnegie's book, yet to read that but I
Lena Nechet
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I wish someone had warned me about most of it early in life, it would have saved me so much time and energy lost on dominance-seeking people, and would have helped me escape the boredom of such interactions.
Fatema Hussein
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book with all thoughts organized, easy to read and follow. It's a cynical book if taken straight to the heart, I don't think power should be that plotted although we can't deny many leaders follow 75% of the laws in the book. If read in a way to understand the people around you and the laws they follow in their reign then it will give you more authority and power to deal with them. But power is sometimes more situation-based on the moment you're in. We already know a lot of this informatio ...more
Prabesh Gautam
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
JUST A POINT OF VIEW OF MINE..
This book is great indeed but for people who want the absolute power.. who want to control others, etc...
But deep down if u just want to help people. It might not be the best book for you. For me all that matters is helpfulness and happiness. For example: in this book it says don't let anyone know how you do things but I am like.. if anyone benefits I would be happy to share even if they use it for anything. .
Bla bla bla
Miquixote
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
No scandal will ever stick to you if you follow these Machiavellian rules. In the power world, you’re just acting like a winner. If someone else gets stepped on, they are obviously a loser.

These guys play by a completely different set of rules. You don’t need to be objectively good or decent. Just be obsessed with discipline and repetition: embody these rules, project them, repeat them. If you stay focussed, very little can touch you.

This is entirely amoral.
They would say it’s just being smar
F OO L
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book on how to behave in the modern world for power
Ridhima
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book back in high school, but couldn't understand most of the things at that time. I couldn't think of any "enemy" whom I would want to "crush", so I gave up reading it after a few chapters. Since now I have entered an environment, where I need to deal with a lot of competition and thrive to get myself noticed, I started reading this book again.
On completing the 195 pages of this book, I was really grateful that I didn't try to understand it back in my teenage, lest treachery wou
Steven
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't normally read concise editions, but this was very good. Good enough that I'd like to buy the full edition for more elaborate examples from the past.

I think the book is very well-thought-out, and the approach is, at times, unarguable. There are some minor contradictions in the advice, some of it is quite callous and borderline sociopathic/perverse (though shows why so many leaders, especially in business, can exhibit sociopathic tendencies without any seeming repercussions), but overall t
Tim Pendry

This a companion piece to the Joost Elffers book on seduction reviewed earlier [ https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... ] but it is about power rather than sex and is a concise version.

It is interesting as far as it goes and is mostly (like the book on seduction) cynical common sense about human nature and its relationship, in this case, to authority and power.

Much of it derives from anecdotes from pre-modern history although, of course, our world (though not human nature) has changed a great
Alain Dib
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I read this first book of Green because i've had a glimpse of it somewhere and got intrigued as well as interested I wanted to by the classic one but it wasn't available so I thought I might as well go with this one and evaluate it.
To say the least I totally loved it as it is very engaging from the start it pulls the reader inside of the book brings out a new world makes you wonder.
The work Green put in it is very interesting you can clearly see all the hard work he had done to create a book fro
P.H. Wilson
Apr 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Real rating 6.9/10
If it were not for the things written in red this work would have received a 3/10

I could not imagine wanting to read the full version of this work as Mr. Greene has not really contributed anything. The book would have been much better if one had simply listed the 48 laws and the short parables and tales that emphasize each. Greene's addition to these great sages comes off as a hollow version of Machiavelli that ultimately breaks several of the rules it champions.
The book itself
Marcos
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't in all honesty read past the 5th law. The perspective from which this book approaches life, and advises you on how to gain power in it, is so destructive and dark on many levels that I chose not to continue reading. I give this book credit for two things: first of all, being written in a very intriguing way (which made me hesitant whether or not I should continue reading, because on the one hand the style kept me interested and curious yet on the other hand the content made me sad for ...more
Amna
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short summary book of the international bestseller book “the 48 laws of power”. I used to read everyday a law of this book and it kind of reminded me of “the art of war” because they both hand you a strategies to be a different person..to be powerful. It will expose you to the real world and the real people whom you deal with. Great lessons!
Calvin
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A book that changes the way you look at pretty much everything. From elements and relationships in your personal life to how you conduct yourself in the workplace. With so much to draw from for practical applications. I feel that this book should be made mandatory for anyone who wants to get anywhere with their life. An Indispensable addition to any bookshelf.
Tyler
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, Robert Greene the modern day Balthasar Gracian gives timeless advice of how to operate in life and defend against Machiavellian types. This will definitely change your outlook on life and situations, whether that is beneficial or otherwise.
Amoral and informative 10/10
Ally
Jun 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Pretty sure Donald Trump lives by this book.
Sharwari Kulkarni
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You can't even think the way things work! 100% political guide. Must read for everyone!
LibroReview
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The 48 Laws of Power comprises of 48 laws that take you on a path of gaining success. They are not just tips and tricks but proper laws that MUST be followed if you want to be a powerful person in life. It is a self help and principal based book.
The title clearly goes with the book.
When it comes to the language, the writing style is pretty simple but the words used maybe tough for the beginners. You may have to sit with your phone or dictionary beside you. The structure of the book is great wi
Tagan Tsui
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a weird one. I was getting to some books about psychology and philosophy and I have stumbled upon this book. Essentially, this book is trying to teach you how to be a megalomaniac. Well, not exactly but it is teaching you how to use mind tricks to play your 'victims'. It is not a good practice but it is certainly intriguing to see if someone was trying to use the same exact mind tricks mentioned in this book, and counterattack them to protect yourself.
Wyncy
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A concise and well-researched guide to manipulation, deception, and shrewdness. Some laws are contradictory to each other (#30 Make your accomplishments seem effortless / #46 Never seem too perfect). These principles are not feasible in real life (or at least, in mine), but nonetheless, this is a must-read for all. You'd never know when you might encounter such manipulation. Recognize them firsthand, and steer clear.
Joel Ogunjimi
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
At the start of this book, there I was shaking my head at how cunning and mischievous it all sounds, but as I went deeper it turned out they most of the laws are just lessons I've learnt elsewhere in a bit different way.
This book is a paradigm-shifting book that helped me see the world in a different light and allowed me look closely at actions and words of people around me and that of myself.
It's a good read.
Gioology
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The author has an unarguably pessimistic view on the world, but I have no doubt in my mind that following these laws religiously in your work and personal life would result in becoming a powerful, socially intelligent and successful person. Whether you see this as a stain or gift on society is purely down to perspective, but either way it is an intriguing and intuitive read which pushes the boundary's of popular sociology.
Moataz Mohamed
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shilpa
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one's an absolute eye opener, definitely managed to shake me. The author recommends a take no prisoners kind of approach to get to the top. A guide to keep referring to in this cut throat modern world. Certainly very harsh and ruthless but the essence is to be relished - be deliberately unpredictable!
Raphael  Woolf
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Inspired by the bleak harsh writings of Gracián, Schopenhauer, Napoleon, Machiavelli and Nietzsche, this book shows you how to effectively obtain power and ascend through life unscathed. Morally nihilistic, the historical anecdotes, quotations and metaphors illustrate that to achieve authority in life one must be merciless.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• How to be Brilliant
  • Negotiation (Harvard Business Essentials)
  • Persuasion: The Art of Influencing People
  • (DROP THE PINK ELEPHANT: 15 WAYS TO SAY WHAT YOU MEAN - AND MEAN WHAT YOU SAY) BY Paperback
  • Becoming a Barbarian
  • Alexander The Great's Art Of Strategy: Lessons From the Great Empire Builder
  • Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking
  • Easier Than You Think ...because life doesn't have to be so hard: The Small Changes That Add Up to a World of Difference
  • Unmasking the Social Engineer: The Human Element of Security
  • The Design of Sites: Patterns for Creating Winning Web Sites
  • Focus: The Future of Your Company Depends on It
  • Dangerous Company: The Consulting Powerhouses and the Businesses They Save and Ruin
  • Impact: Great Leadership Changes Everything
  • Creating True Prosperity
  • A Still, Small Voice: A Psychic's Guide to Awakening Intuition
  • Palmistry: The Language of the Hand
  • Mode One: Let The Women Know What You're Really Thinking
  • Stand By Your Manhood: An Essential Guide for Modern Men
There is more than one author by this name on Goodreads.

Best-selling author and public speaker, Robert Greene was born in Los Angeles. He attended U.C. California at Berkeley and the University of Wisconsin at Madison, where he received a degree in classical studies. He has worked in New York as an editor and writer at several magazines, including Esquire; and in Hollywood as a story developer and
“Excuses satisfy no one and apologies make everyone uncomfortable” 5 likes