Start by marking “Marilyn Monroe” as Want to Read:
Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn Monroe

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  310 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In 1952 went on assignment to photograph Marilyn Monroe for Esquire magazine. According to Arnold's recollections, the now-legendary film actress was captivating and the photographs were a success. Their relationship, which started as one of mutual advantage, developed into a friendship and, over the course of ten years, Arnold and Marilyn met for six other photography ses ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Harry N. Abrams (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Marilyn Monroe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marilyn Monroe

Jennie
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Being a Marilyn fan, I was excited to see photographs of her taken by Eve Arnold; not just because she is a woman, but because the pics were of a more natural, candid nature. Aside from some lovely shots of her in a summer dress and on the set of the Misfits, there are some details tacked on (she ate alot of cottage cheese) Eve captures the natural moments of solitude, personal grooming and joking around with her co-stars that was cool to see. The author notes that some of this lap-sitting and m ...more
Stefanie
AMAZING. Eve Arnold is a favorite photojournalist of mine. I am always in awe when viewing her work and find myself always going back to it. If you are a Marilyn fan as well as a photography fan...This is for your viewing pleasure.
Tatyana
I am a huge Marilyn Monroe fan, and getting to know more about her life from a journalist who actually came in contact with her was a great experience. This hardcover is also emotional, and it definitely put Marilyn to her best :)
Amy He
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Arnold respects and cherishes Marilyn without coddling or glorifying her, in a way that is genuine without coming across as an attempt to capitalize on the intimate relationship the two women cultivated. Highly recommend.
Julie Ivens
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-love
Eve Arnold, who just passed away earlier this year, had a friendship with Marilyn over the years and many of the intimate cozy photos in here speak to their bond. Did I say that correctly? One of the best Marilyn Monroe photo books. The other is Milton's Marilyn by Milton H. Greene.
Michael Mayer
May 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book but because of the time when most of these photos were taken (just before her death) it is a very sad book. There is a more recent edition of this book by Eve Arnold which I bought as well.
Baiba Auria
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can't help but think that in her eagerness to be respectful and loyal Arnold, perhaps, held herself back a little in terms of what she could have done. But I loved the unsentimental text and imagery. Very beautiful, honest and painful in a 'practical' way.
Tara
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eve Arnold is one of my favourite Monroe photographers and her accompanying text is also very insightful.
Tamara!
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book, wonderful photos. I received this book for my birthday a few years ago from my sister and we both enjoyed it.
Michael Mayer
May 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My second favorite collection of Marilyn Monroe photographs. Also very sad because many were taken on the set of the Misfits towards the end of her life.
Anastasiyaspitz