Start by marking “Boiled Over (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Boiled Over (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #2)

Boiled Over

(Maine Clambake Mystery #2)

For Julia Snowden, the Founder’s Day summer celebration in Busman’s Harbor, Maine, means helping her family’s clambake company to prepare an authentic taste of New England seafood. Any Mainer will tell you that a real clambake needs wood for the fire . . . so why is there a foot sticking out of the oven?

The townspeople want to pin the murder of the RV park owner on Cabe St
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published May 6th 2014 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Boiled Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boiled Over

Start your review of Boiled Over (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #2)
Jessica Robbins
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book two in the Maine Clambake Mystery series. To participate in Founder's Day Weekend Julia and her family temporarily move the clambake to the pier using the Claminator. It looks like things are going great until the fire under neath starts to pop and hiss just before a leg shows up in the middle of it causing a scene in the middle of the celebration. The newest employee takes off running to hide out which makes them all suspicious. They all trust Julia though so of course she finds herself in ...more
Anastasia
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Boiled over by Barbara Ross is the 2nd book in the Maine Clambake Mystery series. The Founder's Day weekend in Busman's Harbor is marred when a body is found in the claminator and when one of her employees is accused of the crime, Julia Snowden investigates. An enjoyable book although the back and forth in time was a little distracting. The mystery was intriguing and well written. I love the characters and the setting and am looking forward to the next installment.
Jonathan
A second book in what is becoming a solid, but not over-the-top series, Boiled Over was a delightful read with a few weak points.

I really like Julia, though I wish she'd admit the inevitable; she's staying in Busman's Harbor. Chris is great, but I wish he'd open up a bit about himself. Sonny was absolutely horrible at the beginning, but he warmed up towards the end. I seriously don't know why he isn't nicer to his sister in law!

The setting is absolutely idyllic. The last three books I've read in
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014

Dollycas’s Thoughts

Barbara Ross has cooked us up another fine mystery in Boiled Over. In this follow-up to Clammed Up Julia is still trying to make sure the Snowden Family Clambakes are back on the right track. She thinks serving their food sat the Founder’s Day celebration will be the perfect way to advertise and put a little more money in the business account. Of course she didn’t plan for the dead body.

Ross introduces us to some new characters who are not all who they seem to be. This leads t
J.H. Moncrieff
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Maine Clambake series has been so enjoyable thus far, and this book continues the trend. Set in the picturesque setting of the Maine coast, the series gives you a taste (no pun intended) of what it's really like to live in this idyllic region, warts and all.

Better yet, Ross has somehow managed to create a cozy mystery protagonist who isn't an annoying busybody. Her Julia always has a legitimate reason for investigating, and it never comes across like she's doing police-level work with no tra
Ronna
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
Julia Snowden left her high powered New York job to help her family keep the Snowden Family Clambake making a profit, but she still plans to return to her "real" job. She's already helped in one murder investigation, getting her boyfriend out of trouble. Now on the Founder's Day committee, she comes to the docks to check on the Snowden families giant Clam baking oven, just to find a human leg hanging out of the fire and her newest young employee, Cabe, running away from the scene. Drawn into the ...more
Edwin Hill
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like these cozies set in a Maine town that resembles Boothbay Harbor. This one picks up where the first book in the series left off, with Julia Snowden managing her families clam bake business while wrestling over whether to stay in Maine or return to her Manhattan life. The murder of a local man during Founder's Weekend provides a distraction, and when a young employee comes under suspicion, Julia jumps in to action to clear his name.

The conclusion left me underwhelmed, unfortunately, but it
Lucy Burdette
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent cozy mystery series with a main character who has depth, a charming setting, and good food!
Gloria Mccracken
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
If only the protagonist weren't such a self-involved dip, this would be a pretty good series.
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Boiled Over marks my first time reading Barbara Ross. I found the story and mystery to be enjoyable and a nice little escape. Though I did have a craving for seafood a time or two.

**Received a copy of the book from the publisher and voluntarily reviewed.**
Laurie
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book of this series and as delightful as the first! Great fun to read!
Hannah
Another great entry in the Maine Clambake series. I enjoyed trying to figure out who the killer was and loved the atmosphere Julia's family lives in. It's the sort of small town I'd like to go visit sometime and Julia is a pleasant sleuth to spend time around.

Reading more of this series, for sure!
Dawn
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this little cozy mystery! I enjoyed getting to know Julia a little more. I find her a very likable character. There is so much about the setting that speaks to me, having been born and raised in New England. What I found especially enjoyable, though, was the actual mystery. It didn't feel forced or overly contrived or cloying, the way some cozies do. I loved all the little strands, the way the characters were woven together, how the pieces fit together. I didn't figure out who ...more
Linda Rawlins
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy, mystery
Boiled Over by Barbara Ross is the second book in her Maine Clambake Mystery Series. The Snowden Family Clambake Company was ready to serve cooked clams at the Founder's Day celebration, until a human body part rolled off the fire pile onto the pier. Horrified, Julia vowed to solve the murder and prove her new employee Cabe Stone innocent. The Snowden Clambake company already experienced one dead body this summer and Julia simply refused to make it two. Boiled over is a great cozy with a fresh s ...more
Maya Corrigan
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who like cozy mysteries with a regional flavor
The second entry in Barbara Ross's Maine Clambake series made me want to visit Busman's Harbor in August. The mystery is as engaging as the eccentric characters who inhabit the town. They're all gathered for Founder's Weekend, and Julia Snowden, trying to keep her family's clambake company above water, finds herself once more at the center of a murder. I learned a lot about Maine history, breathed in the salt air, and felt the sea breeze ruffling my hair as I read this book. One day I hope to en ...more
Debbie
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a strong series for me. I have never been to Maine, but I think I will have to try to make it there some day. The characters draw me back and I really enjoy the history of the region that Barbara Ross has woven into the story. As I watch the snow pile up outside in Pennsylvania, a clam bake on a summer island sounds like the right ticket for me. Now I have to wait for the 3rd book.
Edith Maxwell
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another intriguing plot, well-drawn characters, and a book I lost sleep over because I couldn't put it down. If you want to feel and taste coastal Maine, with a mystery or two thrown in, read this book.
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
3.5 stars - decent installment in the series and I will definitely continue with the next book - my only issue is that Julia (the protagonist) sometimes gets on my nerves but so far these instances are fleeting and not enough to hinder my enjoyment of the book.
Linda
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
3.5 stars. This 2nd installment in the series didn't disappoint! I was definitely kept guessing and suspected just about everyone at some point. Good climactic ending and am looking forward to the next book.
Jenny Pivor
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By the time you're done, these characters feel like your friends

If you want to know how it feels to live in a small town in coastal Maine, Barbara Ross invites you in as she dishes up a mystery with all the flavor of a Maine blueberry pie.

Dawn
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really liked this book. I thought it really had a good flow to it. Held my attention all the way through. Cannot wait for the next installment to come out, which won't be soon enough.
Lorraine
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julia finds herself up to her ears in work during the Busman's Harbour Founders Day weekend. She's on the committee, and her family clambake business has set up a big stove on the dock with the other vendors. But when a body is found below the "Claminator", she sets out to find out who it is, and how it got there. Along the way she finds herself in love with Chris but unable to say it.

I enjoy this series and look forward to more.
Val
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this cozy set in Maine. A small town has its small town festival with all the races, games, and food that characterize a festival. At the bake, a man's body is discovered in the ashes. Who is it and who did it? Characters are believable with their flaws and peculiarities.
Kimberly
Apr 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Founder's Day Weekend is a great way for the locals in Busman's Harbour to promote their business by drawing in tourists. The Snowden family is in charge of the clambake, but find themselves in the center of bad publicity when a body is found in their fire and one of their employees is a prime suspect. Julia must sort out the clues, decipher the past of some new characters and do a little soul searching herself along the way.

To be completely honest, I had a hard time getting into this book at f
Wanda
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a good mystery, nothing too deep or complex. It starts off with a body being found during a Founder's Day celebration and the search is on to finder the killer. The setting is a small town on the coast of Maine and there are some definite feelings between the locals, tourists and those who live there now that are "From Away" or not having been born there. The state police are called in to investigate and a local girl also is investigating as one of her employees is considered the main s ...more
Patricia
Jun 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I really enjoy this series but I also love coastal Maine and will read anything set there. Just a warning that my liking for this series may not be unbiased. A great deal of my enjoyment comes from reading the descriptions and trying to figure out where places are located on the real map of Maine. If I weren't so enamored of the setting I'm not sure I'd be so quick to overlook the unlikelihood of one non law enforcement family being involved in two murders within a matter of months. (That's not ...more
MaryJo Dawson
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is my 3rd Maine Clambake mystery - yes, I read them out of order, which didn't spoil this read for me. Ross obviously knows the background for her series, which adds so much, but wouldn't carry the stories if the plots weren't good, the characters well described, and the story line well laid out. She really makes a reader want to visit the Maine coastline and experience some of the culinary and scenic delights.
My only big disappointment was the inference that sharing a bed is considered a n
Sue Merrell
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, my first in this series. I enjoyed the setting in Maine and the characters are well drawn. As the mystery unravels the interrelationship of the characters becomes more convoluted, but I like lots of layers. Makes for a few surprises in the end. I loved details like the native American tribe from Canada coming down to rake the small wild blueberries.

The author pretty much sticks to one central story instead of carrying several side plots. There's a romance for the mai
Carla
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great follow up to the first Maine Clambake Mystery! This series makes me homesick for Maine in all the best ways. Barbara Ross does a great job of building on characters from the first book. Just when you think you can make assumptions about a character, Ross shows you something new about him or her, giving you a glimpse of the fully developed individual that we as readers are just getting to know.

The storyline, the core mystery, was delightful. I enjoyed the twists and turns and roadblocks t
Mark Baker
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, mystery
Founder's Day Weekend gets off to a rough start when a body is found in the fire the Snowden Family Clambake was using to prepare a meal. With the police looking at one of their employees, Julia must dig in and find the real killer.

The story started out strongly and never faltered as it led me through several twists and turns. The characters were just as strong as in the debut, and I enjoyed spending time with all of them again.

Note: I was sent a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Boiled Over--Ask the Author 3 8 Jul 22, 2014 07:37AM

• Death of a Country Fried Redneck (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #2)
  • Eggnog Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #23.5)
  • Death of a Christmas Caterer (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #5)
  • Yule Log Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #25.5)
  • Murder on Cape Cod (Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery, #1)
  • When the Grits Hit the Fan (Country Store Mysteries #3)
  • Haunted House Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #25.7)
  • Death of a Kitchen Diva (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #1)
  • Death Over Easy (Country Store Mysteries #5)
  • Death of a Lobster Lover (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #9)
  • All Fudged Up (Candy-Coated, #1)
  • Staged to Death (Caprice De Luca Mystery #1)
  • To Fudge or Not to Fudge  (Candy-Coated, #2)
  • On Borrowed Time (Library Lover's Mystery, #5)
  • Death of a Chocoholic (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #4)
  • Death of a Cookbook Author (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #10)
  • Death of a Coupon Clipper (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #3)
  • Fudge and Jury (A Bakeshop Mystery, #5)
Barbara Ross is the author of the Maine Clambake Mysteries and the Jane Darrowfield Mysteries. Her books have been nominated for multiple Agatha Awards for Best Contemporary Novel and have won the Maine Literary Award for Crime Fiction. Barbara's Maine Clambake novellas are included along with stories by Leslie Meier and Lee Hollis in three holiday anthologies from Kensington Publishing. Barbara a ...more

Maine Clambake Mystery (9 books)
  • Clammed Up (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #1)
  • Musseled Out (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #3)
  • Fogged Inn (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #4)
  • Iced Under (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #5)
  • Stowed Away (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #6)
  • Steamed Open (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #7)
  • Sealed Off (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #8)
  • Shucked Apart (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #9)