Start by marking “Boiled Over (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Boiled Over (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #2)

Boiled Over

(Maine Clambake Mystery #2)

For Julia Snowden, the Founder’s Day summer celebration in Busman’s Harbor, Maine, means helping her family’s clambake company to prepare an authentic taste of New England seafood. Any Mainer will tell you that a real clambake needs wood for the fire . . . so why is there a foot sticking out of the oven?

The townspeople want to pin the murder of the RV park owner on Cabe St
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published May 6th 2014 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Boiled Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boiled Over

Jessica Robbins
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs...
Jonathan
A second book in what is becoming a solid, but not over-the-top series, Boiled Over was a delightful read with a few weak points.

I really like Julia, though I wish she'd admit the inevitable; she's staying in Busman's Harbor. Chris is great, but I wish he'd open up a bit about himself. Sonny was absolutely horrible at the beginning, but he warmed up towards the end. I seriously don't know why he isn't nicer to his sister in law!

The setting is absolutely idyllic. The last three books I've read in
LORI CASWELL
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014

Dollycas’s Thoughts

Barbara Ross has cooked us up another fine mystery in Boiled Over. In this follow-up to Clammed Up Julia is still trying to make sure the Snowden Family Clambakes are back on the right track. She thinks serving their food sat the Founder’s Day celebration will be the perfect way to advertise and put a little more money in the business account. Of course she didn’t plan for the dead body.

Ross introduces us to some new characters who are not all who they seem to be. This leads t
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Boiled Over marks my first time reading Barbara Ross. I found the story and mystery to be enjoyable and a nice little escape. Though I did have a craving for seafood a time or two.

**Received a copy of the book from the publisher and voluntarily reviewed.**
Gloria Mccracken
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
If only the protagonist weren't such a self-involved dip, this would be a pretty good series.
Ronna
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
Julia Snowden left her high powered New York job to help her family keep the Snowden Family Clambake making a profit, but she still plans to return to her "real" job. She's already helped in one murder investigation, getting her boyfriend out of trouble. Now on the Founder's Day committee, she comes to the docks to check on the Snowden families giant Clam baking oven, just to find a human leg hanging out of the fire and her newest young employee, Cabe, running away from the scene. Drawn into the ...more
Dawn
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really liked this book. I thought it really had a good flow to it. Held my attention all the way through. Cannot wait for the next installment to come out, which won't be soon enough.
Lucy Burdette
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent cozy mystery series with a main character who has depth, a charming setting, and good food!
Dawn
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this little cozy mystery! I enjoyed getting to know Julia a little more. I find her a very likable character. There is so much about the setting that speaks to me, having been born and raised in New England. What I found especially enjoyable, though, was the actual mystery. It didn't feel forced or overly contrived or cloying, the way some cozies do. I loved all the little strands, the way the characters were woven together, how the pieces fit together. I didn't figure out who ...more
Jenny Hudson
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By the time you're done, these characters feel like your friends

If you want to know how it feels to live in a small town in coastal Maine, Barbara Ross invites you in as she dishes up a mystery with all the flavor of a Maine blueberry pie.

Linda
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
3.5 stars. This 2nd installment in the series didn't disappoint! I was definitely kept guessing and suspected just about everyone at some point. Good climactic ending and am looking forward to the next book.
Patricia
Jun 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I really enjoy this series but I also love coastal Maine and will read anything set there. Just a warning that my liking for this series may not be unbiased. A great deal of my enjoyment comes from reading the descriptions and trying to figure out where places are located on the real map of Maine. If I weren't so enamored of the setting I'm not sure I'd be so quick to overlook the unlikelihood of one non law enforcement family being involved in two murders within a matter of months. (That's not ...more
Mark Baker
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, mystery
Founder's Day Weekend gets off to a rough start when a body is found in the fire the Snowden Family Clambake was using to prepare a meal. With the police looking at one of their employees, Julia must dig in and find the real killer.

The story started out strongly and never faltered as it led me through several twists and turns. The characters were just as strong as in the debut, and I enjoyed spending time with all of them again.

Note: I was sent a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review
Linda Rawlins
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy, mystery
Boiled Over by Barbara Ross is the second book in her Maine Clambake Mystery Series. The Snowden Family Clambake Company was ready to serve cooked clams at the Founder's Day celebration, until a human body part rolled off the fire pile onto the pier. Horrified, Julia vowed to solve the murder and prove her new employee Cabe Stone innocent. The Snowden Clambake company already experienced one dead body this summer and Julia simply refused to make it two. Boiled over is a great cozy with a fresh s ...more
Edwin Hill
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like these cozies set in a Maine town that resembles Boothbay Harbor. This one picks up where the first book in the series left off, with Julia Snowden managing her families clam bake business while wrestling over whether to stay in Maine or return to her Manhattan life. The murder of a local man during Founder's Weekend provides a distraction, and when a young employee comes under suspicion, Julia jumps in to action to clear his name.

The conclusion left me underwhelmed, unfortunately, but it
Maya Corrigan
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who like cozy mysteries with a regional flavor
The second entry in Barbara Ross's Maine Clambake series made me want to visit Busman's Harbor in August. The mystery is as engaging as the eccentric characters who inhabit the town. They're all gathered for Founder's Weekend, and Julia Snowden, trying to keep her family's clambake company above water, finds herself once more at the center of a murder. I learned a lot about Maine history, breathed in the salt air, and felt the sea breeze ruffling my hair as I read this book. One day I hope to en ...more
Debbie
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a strong series for me. I have never been to Maine, but I think I will have to try to make it there some day. The characters draw me back and I really enjoy the history of the region that Barbara Ross has woven into the story. As I watch the snow pile up outside in Pennsylvania, a clam bake on a summer island sounds like the right ticket for me. Now I have to wait for the 3rd book.
❂ Jennifer
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
More accurately, I'd give this 3.5 stars. 1/2 star because, in spite of the fact that they were done very well, the flashbacks got on my nerves. Can't say why, they just did. Otherwise, I enjoyed the story quite a bit. Excellent murder plot, cleverly done.

Full review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/991410...
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
3.5 stars - decent installment in the series and I will definitely continue with the next book - my only issue is that Julia (the protagonist) sometimes gets on my nerves but so far these instances are fleeting and not enough to hinder my enjoyment of the book.
Jenni Schell
I love any book that is set in Maine, typically. However, I had a very hard time reading this book. I found that the plot jumped around too much for my taste.
Lisa Elizabeth
A competent mystery marred by the jumping timeline. This was an unnecessary and unfruitful story device. The story would have been better served with a chronological narrative.
April Schilling
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in this series! I am really enjoying reading about the Snowden family and their clambake business. Can't wait for the next book!
Yukari Watanabe
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This cozy mystery series has everything cozy mystery fans want. Well done.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, cozy-mystery
This is the second book in the Maine Clambake Mystery series and I liked it more than the first one. I think that is because the characters were more likable in this book, they got along better and we learned a bit more about their past. Julia Snowden is still helping out at the Snowden Family Clambake which is now making a profit, but she still plans to return to her "real" job in New York. When her sister recommends she get involved in the Founder's Day Committee, she becomes a reluctant membe ...more
Sue Merrell
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, my first in this series. I enjoyed the setting in Maine and the characters are well drawn. As the mystery unravels the interrelationship of the characters becomes more convoluted, but I like lots of layers. Makes for a few surprises in the end. I loved details like the native American tribe from Canada coming down to rake the small wild blueberries.

The author pretty much sticks to one central story instead of carrying several side plots. There's a romance for the mai
Elizabeth Butcher
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This was actually more of 3.5 stars for me, but it wasn't strong enough for me to give it 4 stars. I can't put my finger on it, but the opening chapters of this book felt to me as if they were written by a different author (or maybe she had a different editor on this book). I enjoyed the additional background on Busman's Harbor and culture of the blueberry fields. The main part of the book that didn't work for me was the handling of the flashbacks. I think that if there was a prologue to establi ...more
Ann
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another gripping rollicking clambake tale

The second clambake mystery is even better than the first. There were twists and turns I never saw coming but they were natural and fit the story well. A surprising yet satisfying solution to a gruesome murder comes at the end of this entrancing, engaging story that had me riveted. Can't wait to start #3!
Regina
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Mystery solved yes. And with all the twists, I am glad my skills were on tasks and I figured out who the murderer is. I enjoyed the flash chapters and the connection to the first book. I would have given it four stars, maybe even five if it was not for the cliffhanger at the end. I don't think this is a spoiler.
Audrey
Fast-paced and drenched in atmosphere, but the heroine came down with a bad case of Hannah Swenson Syndrome, and spent the entire book nowhere near the family business that all of the first book convinced us was on the edge of failure. The business she claimed to be so devoted to. Also this whole Chris thing is contrived as heck.

I am planning on making the Baked Camp Beans, though.
Becka
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Barbara Ross has a way of describing the way of life in Busman's Harbor, Maine, that makes me feel as if I've visited the town and taken part in clambakes on Morrow Island with the Snowden family. I enjoyed getting to know some of the townsfolk a little more in this second book, and I'm looking forward to seeing what book three, Musseled Out, has in store for Julia and the crew!
Boiled Over--Ask the Author 3 7 Jul 22, 2014 07:37AM
  • Brush with Death (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #5)
  • Playing with Fire (Sweet Pepper Fire Brigade Mystery, #2)
  • Off Kilter (Scottish Highlands, #1)
  • A Tale of Two Biddies  (League of Literary Ladies #2)
  • Murder in the Mystery Suite (Book Retreat Mysteries, #1)
  • If the Shoe Kills (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #3)
  • A High-End Finish (Fixer-Upper Mystery, #1)
  • Murder, She Barked (Paws and Claws Mystery, #1)
  • Days of Wine and Roquefort (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #5)
  • The Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum (Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum #1)
  • If Fried Chicken Could Fly (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery, #1)
  • Drop Dead on Recall  (Animals in Focus, #1)
  • Reading Up a Storm (Lighthouse Library Mystery #3)
  • Grace Against the Clock (Manor House Mystery, #5)
  • Rosemary and Crime (Spice Shop Mystery #1)
  • Inherit the Word (Cookbook Nook Mystery, #2)
Barbara Ross is the author of six Maine Clambake Mysteries. The seventh, Steamed Open, will be published in December 2018. Her novellas featuring Julia Snowden are included along with stories by Leslie Meier and Lee Hollis in Eggnog Murder and Yule Log Murder.

Barbara’s books have been nominated for multiple Agatha Awards for Best Contemporary Novel and the Maine Literary Award for Crime Fiction.

Ba

Maine Clambake Mystery (7 books)
  • Clammed Up (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #1)
  • Musseled Out (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #3)
  • Fogged Inn (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #4)
  • Iced Under (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #5)
  • Stowed Away (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #6)
  • Steamed Open (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #7)
“the screen door, Morgan began barking from down in Bud’s yard. The black lab was so loud Bunnie had to shout through her sniffles. “Don’t let Reggie bother you, Julia. He’s trying to protect me. He wants me to be happy in my new life. To fit in.” She stared toward Bud’s yard in exasperation. “That damn dog.” “Bunnie, do yourself two favors. Tell the cops about your connection to Stevie before they find it. And then take a plate of” 0 likes