Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes, Misteri di Wisma Wisteria” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes, Misteri di Wisma Wisteria

Sherlock Holmes, Misteri di Wisma Wisteria

Jika ditanya siapa penulis fiksi detektif tingkat dunia yang paling berpengaruh dan paling banyak penggemarnya?

Maka, sudah pasti Sir Arthur Conan Doyle-lah jawabannya. Lewat petualangan sosok detektif eksentrik yang diciptakannya, yakni Sherlock Holmes, ia berhasil menyuguhkan sebuah bacaan yang sangat menghibur dan cerdas. Di antaranya, tentu saja tiga kisah menarik dalam
Published July 5th 2013 by Laksana (first published 1908)

Aishu Rehman
In this short story, Holmes is visited by a perturbed proper English gentleman, John Scott Eccles, who wishes to discuss something “grotesque”. No sooner has he arrived at 221B Baker Street than Inspector Gregson also shows up, along with Inspector Baynes of the Surrey Constabulary. They wish a statement from Eccles about the murder near Esher last night. A note in the dead man’s pocket indicates that Eccles said that he would be at the victim’s house that night.
Eccles is shocked to hear of Aloy
Charles  van Buren
Intricate two part mystery

After reading the Philip van Wulven short story, Sherlock Holmes Investgates The Case of Lady Chatter's Voodoo Dolls, in which voodoo threatens HM The Queen and the Empire, I decided to read a real Sherlock Holmes story in which voodoo makes at least a passing appearance.

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge is a fairly long Sherlock Holmes short story by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, not one of the imitators. It was originally published in two parts, "The Singular Experience of Mr
Dani
"The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge" is the first story in the His Last Bow: 8 Stories story collection, the eighth publication in the Sherlock Holmes series.

Holmes receives a visit from John Eccles, who tells him how he was invited to stay last night at a new friend, Mr Garcia's, lodge, only to awake to everyone having vanished. But in the middle of telling his story, the police arrive with the news that Garcia has been found murdered. Holmes investigates.

This was a typical Doyle story, but so
LGandT
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well the Granada series surely toned this one down to a palatable taste. Aside from some parts I liked this one
Jason Parent
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have gone through 40 hours plus of Holmes, I've learned that "elementary" is not even close to one of the most used words. In fact, it was used maybe three times that I've noticed. "Singular," on the other hand, is not a very singular word.
AhmEd MokhTar
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review of this story:

According this story, Sherlock Holmes is a private detective as well as hero of the story and Dr. Watson is another one important person of this story.

Following Sherlock Holmes through a series of his investigations with Watson is really engaging. Most of them always start with some form of peculiar detail and then turns around to change around just from the little details that he observes.

That is the charm of Sherlock Holmes and it keeps us wondering what his next step
Saman
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock's client Mr.John Scott Eccles is a suspect in the murder of Mr.Aloysius Garcia of Wisteria Lodge, whose house Eccles visited the previous night on his invitation. The cook and servant fled after their master's death. Sherlock, yet, is of the opinion that Garcia invited Eccles because he had a criminal enterprise and desired to establish an alibi. As Sherlock and Inspector Baynes proceed in their investigation, they come across Old Jacobean Grange of High Gables less than half a mile acr ...more
Abi_88
Oct 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I didn't rate it five stars is because I did not like some of the themes presented in this story. Some of the description used for the mulatto servant seemed very racist but I also understand that the author belonged to a different era. However, the story was still as interesting as any other of Doyle's stories.
Lisa Ahronian
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first experience with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I was not accustomed to his writing style, which meant I had to re-read certain passages to fully get their meaning, but over all an enjoyable short story.
Lloyd Hughes
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For once the the official police prove clever. 5 stars because I consider SH essential reading for people who like to read.
Roberto Mattos
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eccles is shocked to hear of Aloy
Marthese Formosa
I'm practically reading a Holmes mystery a day. I enjoy them.

Wisteria Lodge starts with Mr. Scott Eccles going to Holmes with a peculiar case and soon after, he is joined by two police constables. Mr. Scott Eccles had visited a new friend, Mr. Garcia but when he wakes up, no one is in the house. The police come with news that Mr. Garcia had been murdered. What follows in an investigation (or rather investigations as Mr.Banes also investigates) to see what occurred.

The second part of the story is
Vineeta Tyagi
Racist Watson is just so weird, after enjoying this character in adaptations. I mean look at this : "I thought that it was a mummified negro baby, and then it seemed a very twisted and ancient monkey." Not cool Arthur! I mean I get that this was written in another era, but it's good that Holmes does most of the analyzing, because despite being a doctor, Watson's anatomical judgements make him sound like some illiterate small minded peasant. Though, this story is Arthur Conan Doyle at peak racism ...more
Charles Junkin
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Azuma-chan
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
I found this case rather complicated that I had to re-read the second part again. I know complications make the story interesting, but it wasn't that sort. I felt like he wanted to twist things to make it incredible or something but it didn't feel like that.
Darinda
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first short story in His Last Bow by Arthur Conan Doyle. A man visits Sherlock Holmes to ask for help when his friend is missing, and soon the missing friend is found dead. Complex and entertaining.
Paroma
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes— one of the most favorite detectives

This story was one of Sherlock Holmes’ classics. Nice and light really liked it! Highly recommend this book to all crime fiction lovers
J.M. Harvey
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick enjoyable read

I can’t believe I missed this morning, I thought I had read all of the holes works. This one is perhaps a little less satisfying than a lot of the stores, it’s not incredibly intricate, but still a pleasure to read.
Amy Ingalls
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, mystery
This one was just OK. It was missing something-- I didn't feel like the reader was given the chance to solve the mystery along with Holmes. I did like the inclusion of a very intelligent police inspector.
Ashly Lynn
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sherlock fans.
Recommended to Ashly by: I mean, get real, who hasn't?
By god, I've done it! I've read my first Sherlock story ever! And I quite enjoyed it.

FRTC
Roger Catlett
always a big fan of these short stories about Sherlock Holmes, especially like to hear them dramatized
Faye
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doyle definitely has themes that he likes to stick to in his stories, but I liked the fact that the police officer wasn't a complete idiot in this one.
John Yelverton
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a long and drawn out Sherlock Holmes mystery, but it's a good mystery nonetheless, with excellent deductions of clues from the master detective.
Redwan Hasan
Promising development ended in rather simple ending.
JayeL
Dec 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, kindle
Collin A.
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aside from the occasional racially-tinged passage, The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge is easily one if the best Holmes stories above read. What truly establishes this story as a testament to Doyle's writing is the amount of characterization and story pacing that compose this story. The plot flowed a a fantastic pace with plenty of developments to spice things up while the many characters involved in the affair all bristled with individuality and played a role in the story. A fantastic read!
Somdutta
Oct 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Arthur Conan Doyle fans
Shelves: readprint-com
Another of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's marvelous mystery stories.At the outset , the plot seemed to be quite complex but as it unraveled through Holmes's intelligent scheme of deduction by gaining evidence, things fell into place. A fresh thing which I found in this story was , a character who did in a way match up to the ways to deduction and reasoning to solve a crime like Holmes.The character was Inspector Baynes. He seems to have quite a bright future in his field.
Skye Gwynn
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime Lovers
What can I possibly say about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his incredibly famous creation, Sherlock Holmes? I don’t know what I was thinking by not reading any of these novels and short stories for the first twenty-four-years of my life, but I have now (at least somewhat) amended this grievous error.

To read the rest of my review, please visit my book blog:

Abbey
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, mystery
Not my favourite Sherlock Holmes adventure by a while, but still a good read. I always feel that Holmes is not particularly likable, though also not easy to dislike - he just is. This is one of the books where that comes across for me, although of course Watson is his likeable self. A nice short mystery with a satisfactory ending, the Inspector was great too!
Ashish Seth
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Doyle gives very unrelated clues. Then in the other half he give a simple cause of crime. But as always the story was gripping and intense. He managed such complexity without the use of forensics and technology which is quite appreciable.

• The Great Detective: The Amazing Rise and Immortal Life of Sherlock Holmes
  • Love in Plain Sight (Senses and Sensations, #2)
  • Death from the Woods
  • The Abigail Affair
  • The Kidnapped Prime Minister: A Short Story
  • The Mystery of the Nervous Lion (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #16)
  • Tales From The Dark: Kumpulan Cerpen
  • Jane Eyre's Husband - The Life of Edward Rochester
  • Gaslight Grotesque: Nightmare Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Flyboy Action Figure Comes with Gas Mask
  • Sudden Death
  • Ugly Girl Ties the Knot (Ugly Girl Series #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Hidden Years
  • The Chairman
  • Sherlock Holmes Short Stories
  • Orang-Orang Tanah
  • 56 Sherlock Holmes Stories in 56 Days
  • The Stranger on the Train
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism re