Start by marking “Marilyn: Her Life in Her Own Words” as Want to Read:
Marilyn: Her Life in Her Own Words

Marilyn: Her Life in Her Own Words

No one looked like her. No one walked like her. No one talked like her. Sexy yet vulnerable, and unexpectedly talented, she was no ordinary screen goddess. Few really knew her. What others wrote, she called "Lies! Lies! Lies!"
Here, at last, is Marilyn Monroe's account, in her own singular voice. It was June 1, 1962, her thirty-sixth birthday. Famed photographer and reporte
Published June 1st 2003 by Citadel Press / Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published June 1st 1995)

RB
Bitter-sweet biography and memoir of one of the few Hollywood legends I will surely never ever meet. This memoir is a fascinating and captivating quick read (I read it this afternoon). Marilyn seemed to be so full of life, and happy too, during what turned out to be the last few weeks of her short life. She was taken away from us way too soon. It was eerie to read that the co-author of her memoir, George Barris, spoke to her the day before she was found dead, and that they made plans to meet an ...more
Cheryl
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
George Barris is a renowned photojournalist. In 1962 he was working on a book with Marilyn Monroe. It was to be a biography which would include many of the photos he had taken of her. They had become good friends. In this book, Barris publishes his photos along with the notes taken from his interviews with Marilyn. His last conversation with her was the day before her death. They had planned to meet that week. She had called to chat, and expressed some thoughts to him, “As far as I’m concerned, ...more
Alyssa
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book on Marilyn, one of the best—my favorite, and as a huge MM fan, I have read a lot. It gives insight to the woman behind the legend; the human begin the myth. It shows how kind and witty of a person she was and what her real personality was like, not the Dumb Blonde persona she played so well on the screen. She was a strong, hard working, humble, inspirational woman that of course had her problems, just like everyone else. Too often, people forget that Marilyn was a real perso ...more
Amanda Canupp
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
This collection of Marilyn Monroe’s writings, be they ramblings or poetry or journals—is haunting, yet beautiful, just as was her life. I learned that perhaps Marilyn wasn’t even a very good writer, but her writing came from a place inside herself that needed release, needed expression. I took from that the lesson that it is okay to writing simply because you feel—that you needn’t always write to “produce,” and that instinct is an appropriate guide when you’re doing this kind of writing.
Whisper
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am obsessed with getting my hands on every book on Marilyn I can find! and this book was a light quick read with plenty of photos of Marilyn. I feel like the author felt a deep connection with Marilyn, so it's always nice to read the point of views from her closest friends.
Francis Coco
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is no one like Marilyn Monroe and these photos are, in my opinion, some of her very best. She is so vulnerable and beautiful in these pictures - just lovely. I first received this book when I was twelve and thirty years later, I still pull it out and look at it from time to time.
Lisa
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful and complex woman.
Before reading this book, I only knew Marilyn as the pretty blonde in that picture of her in a white dress above the subway grate.

Now I see her beauty in a different way. She's sexy. She's got a great body, pretty hair and flawless make-up...and she inspires me to live, to love, to laugh, and to enjoy what makes me happy without feeling guilty about moving away from whatever or whomever doesn't.
Mary
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've always been fascinated by Marilyn Monroe, and now that I know so much about her life, I have a deep admiration for her. As I strive to become an actress myself, Marilyn will forever be an inspiration to me. This book fantastically portrayed her in both photographs and words - definitely a worthwhile read for anyone.
Ashlee
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Marilyn was beautiful and lost. She never quite found her place. She was full of love. Being uncertain of how to express it properly left her awkward and insecure. Mental illness should not be taken lightly. She needed help. REAL help. People manipulated and controlled her, sadly, the only love she knew.

Bless your soul, Beautiful Angel. You are a Legend.
Heather
How dare Lindsay Lohan try to copy her- I hated Lindsay's pictures!
Anna
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve fallen in love with this sensational woman-- much more than just a ’pretty’ face.
Misery
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the first bio I've read on Marilyn and it was kind of interesting. My problem with this book, and it may just be the e version, is the formatting. The narrative switches off between Marilyn and the author throughout nearly the entire book. Well, there will be a few paragraphs to a couple of pages of either Barris or Marilyn discussing something then the topic is cut off mid sentence and switches picking up mid sentence to the other person talking. This happens throughout about 90% of the ...more
Pat
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Marilyn Monroe fans
Shelves: history
This is an interesting but brief look into the inner life of Marilyn Monroe. George Barris knew her only three months, and originally was doing a piece for Cosmopolitan. After her death, Cosmo dumped the story so George put together this book containing Marilyn's insights to her world, and the people around her. This book shows us that she was an intelligent, witty, and caring person, not the typical Hollywood type, although she is glossed somewhat by the author. Great photographs enhance the st ...more
Judi
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite book about/by her. I found the content read like a LONG press release and the pictures; I have been a fan of hers for over 30 years and I thought she looked high or tipsy in them. The sparkling vibrance Ive come to adore in the pictures she takes is gone in these. I didnt care for Mr Barriss' commentary either. Very disappointing!
Ken Jacobs
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Written by a photographer friend of Marilyn Monroe, it is a nice collection of her recollections and photos. It was really sad to see the human side of her-the woman who wanted to be loved. And no, I do not believe she committed suicide.
Michelle
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very intimate and not at all what I expected that she would be. In her own words she seemed like such an ordinary person. Someone that wasn't untouchable and someone that I could be friends with. She was definitely one of a kind.
Summer
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I remember going to visit my grandmother as a kid and getting this book at the library. The photographs were of her on the beach. I loved the photographs and reading Marilyn's life in her own words. I've read this book a few times since then.
Betty
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Like all things Marilyn, it showed what a beautiful woman she was and captured the innocent yet extremely sexy aura about her. It was a quick read to learn about Marilyn's life and apparently was one of the last projects she worked on before her death but was not a particularly riveting read.
Kayla
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Goes farther into Marilyn life than "My Story" an amazing read for any marilyn fan, also love George Barris commentary on Monroe.
Rain
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Since he didn't actually record any of these conversations (per Marilyn's request), it's not literally "her own words." Oh, how great would it had been if he DID record her?
Ami Jo
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Awesome pictures, disjointed text. Still leaves you with a certain feeling of who she was.
Ashleighs
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book is very helpful when you need to write an biography on her!!! :)
Sarah Mann
Dec 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, raw photos. My favorite photos of her ever are in this.
SN the Viking
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
It was OK, but not awesome. Lots of nice pics in it though.
Kerry Casey
Beautiful book. Real, Genuine and Candid.
One of the better ones.
Chelsea
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved the pictures, they really showed off Marilyn's natural beauty. They are what make this book great!
Kayla
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I also got this one for my birthday and enjoyed it!
Rebecca
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Includes some of my fave photos of Marilyn.

Leslie
Oct 05, 2013 rated it liked it
the unique photos were interesting, i liked the spontinaty of them. hearing Marilyn speak for herself was interesting. i had no idea she had such a sorted life.
Lesly
Jul 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whoa, this book was very good.

• Marilyn Monroe: The Complete Last Sitting
  • Marilyn Monroe:  Private And Undisclosed
  • The Marilyn Monroe Treasures
  • Goddess: The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe
  • Marilyn's Last Words: Her Secret Tapes and Mysterious Death
George Barris was an American photographer best known for his photographs of Marilyn Monroe. He was known for taking the last photo of Monroe on July 13, 1962.

“I am not a victim of emotional conflicts. I am human.” 107 likes
“just because you fail once, it doesn't mean you're going to fail at everything. keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself because if you don't, then who will? so keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about.” 95 likes