Start by marking “Cold Calls” as Want to Read:
Cold Calls

Read Excerpt

Cold Calls

In the vein of the teen suspense classics I Know What You Did Last Summer and The Face on the Milk Carton, Cold Calls is a chilling thriller, an unsettling mystery, and a provocative exploration of bullying, culpability, and the cost of keeping secrets.

Three high school students-Eric, Shelly, and Fatima-have one thing in common: "I know your secret."
Each one is blackmailed
Published April 1st 2014 by Clarion Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Calls, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Emm - Haunter of Quiet Libraries
3.5 Stars - Bumped up to four for believable and thought-out characterization.
A stranger is blackmailing three students, from separate schools and quite different walks of life, into harassing and bullying particular kids, lest their worst secrets be leaked out into the open.

It has intrigue. Eric, Fatima and Shelly have dimension and are likeable. Eric is trying to save his battered reputation, Shelly is trying to bury her past, and Fatima is trying to spare the heartbreak of her relatives if th
Patty (IheartYA)
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through goodreads Firstreads a few years ago. I put it in a pile and found that pile a few weeks ago.

This was a quick, easy read. Not complex, thought provoking or memorable. It's probably good for the young-young adult audience. The writing and character development was very simple and the story line was mind numbingly easy to follow.
Chris
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
A cryptic phone call from an unlisted number tells a Junior in high school to bully a Freshman or his secret will be outed to all. What else could you do, but commit the crime?
I keep thinking......tell the truth?
This book may appeal to those who like Pretty Little Liars, or I know what you did last Summer? But not me. I found the book silly and not enough to hold my interest. It usually takes me a couple hours to read a book....this one took me over a month. I am a middle school teacher and the
Papierfliegerin
►♥◄ INHALT ►♥◄
Eric, der Fußballer. Shelly, das Goth-Girl. Fatima, die pflichtbewusste Tochter. Drei Teens, drei unterschiedliche Leben, und doch verbindet sie etwas: Ein anonymer Anrufer, der ihre dunkle Vergangenheit kennt und droht, ihr Leben zu zerstören – außer, sie mobben ganz bestimmte Mitschüler … In ihrer Verzweiflung tun sie, was er verlangt. Bis sie sich zum ersten Mal begegnen und beschließen, ihren mysteriösen Feind zur Strecke zu bringen.

►♥◄ MEINE MEINUNG ►♥◄
Himmel, was hatte ich fü
Jami
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, ya
I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway and am I ever glad that I did! The premise sounded good, but I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. Three high school students receive calls from someone who forces them to bully one student each at their respective high schools or their biggest secrets will be revealed. While the secrets turn out to be not as major as you would think, I realized that I was looking at it from an adult perspective. From a high school perspective, having those types of secre ...more
Debbie Narh
good

2.5 Messed up Clouds

This is probably the only story I’ve read where I really enjoyed the third person telling. It fits the story really well and the mysterious caller isn’t easy to figure out and I liked that. My biggest problem are the characters and how one-sided they are. It seems that their secrets are their whole lives but even that isn’t well described. I also really liked the moral lesson of how the characters face right and wrong and decide which is which.

Cold Calls has a very exciting
(;Missy.Lala;)
Awesome!!!! What a good example of a book about what you would do if you or your child was ever being bullied!!! Wow what a ride!!!
Oh and btw, I won this book in a goodreads giveaway on Valentines Day, hanks for that!!!
Let me start on my review:

In Cold Calls we have ourselves a chilling thriller, an unsettling mystery, and a provocative exploration of bullying, culpability, and the cost of keeping secrets, lie I said before.

That's right we have ALL THAT IN ONE BOOK!!!! And it came out amazing!
Gabs {My Full Bookshelf Reviews}
This review (and others) can be found on My Full Bookshelf

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

I could not put this book down! It was so flipping good and suspenseful.

At first, I was a bit confused as to why this was happening. I wasn't sure exactly why someone would randomly blackmail kids to bully others; just for their own sick enjoyment? As soon as the kids actually find out why this is happening, the plot got more realistic,
Silea
May 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, fiction, vine, just-don-t
The literary equivalent of stepping in something slimy and spending 200 pages picking it out of the treads of your sneakers.

This book is patent nonsense. It starts out creepy, with some omniscient caller forcing three teens to bully random kids at their schools or else they'll reveal some big secrets. Then uh... i don't know. It got so boring i skipped 120 pages. Happily, the chapter where i landed is the one where all three teens' horrible transgressions are revealed AND where they figure out w
Kelly Hashway
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
The back of this book said it was Pretty Little Liars meets The Breakfast Club, and I was sold with that one line. One of my favorite TV series meets one of my favorite movies? Yeah, I'm reading it. I love suspense. The book begins with Eric getting a threatening call from someone who has been inside his house, judging by the photo the caller sends him. It was a great creepy moment to start the story. The caller knows Eric's secret, knows it and has evidence to send to everyone in Eric's phone c ...more
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
The cycle of bullying can be endless and impossible to break. Charles Benoit offers an intriguing, unique look at what can drive the cycle – all in a fast-paced page-turner.

Eric, Shelly, & Fatima each have a secret that they would like to stay a secret – and this makes them vulnerable and eager to do what they feel they must to keep their secrets. Should they have told an adult? Well, yes … but it is easy to see why these characters felt that telling anyone would only make everything worse
Claudia
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cold Calls by Charles Benoit is a chilling mystery showing the perspective behind a bully and their fascinating motives. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. I always left me wondering what the solutions to all the mysteries it presented were. Unfortunately, some of them were not very interesting. They had hug build-ups throughout the whole book and little pay-off. I did like that there was a good bit of diversity with one of the main characters being a Muslim. I also liked seeing ...more
Trisha
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-physical
"So in the end, we're all victims," Eric said.
"Yeah," Shelly said. " And we're all bullies."

A great suspense filled book that seemed to play out pretty realistically.

"I know your secret"

something that terrifies Eric instantly when it's whispered over the phone. So he is pushed and bullied into....well..that's a part of this book.

reading the story as it all unfolds.

I really hope this is a series. I'd love to find out how this all plays out again. And I think the cast of characters are really e
Lizzy Lessard
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, thriller, mystery
The twists and turns in this book had me constantly guessing. I thought I had the caller figured out, but was pleasantly surprised by the actual person and the caller's motives for blackmailing the high school students.

I like how the characters both embraced and rebelled against stereotypes.

Full review to come closer to release.

(Won in a goodreads giveaway.)
Tayla Robichaud
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Wow this was really good! It kept me hooked and interested the entire time!
With that ending though I am shocked to find that there is no sequel :(
Sara
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My friend lent me her copy of this book, and it was AWESOME!!
I love mystery, and the ending of this book made me wish there was going to be a sequel to it-but apparently Charles Benoit does not do sequels, even though he TOTALLY SHOULD!
Marissa
Feb 13, 2014 marked it as to-read
Just got Cold Calls in the mail as an ARC!
Karissa
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-2018
Lynn
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I know your secret." In Cold Calls, Eric, Fatima, and Shelly all start getting calls from someone with a computer altered voice that blackmails each of them into bullying a particular student in each of their schools. The final event is to be dumping macaroni and cheese onto the head of each student during lunch on a particular Thursday. After running across each other in a weekend antibullying class, the three decide to find out who is making them ruin their lives and why.
This is a very good
Katherine Varga
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I picked this up on a whim after briefly meeting the author at a teen book festival. He seemed like a fun guy and I was pleased to find he had written a fun book. The attention to detail gave me vivid flashbacks to high school, and the suspense / dramatic questions started on the first page.

I'm a little older than the intended audience for this book, and as a result found some of the dialogue tedious and each character's secret fairly predictable (although I had no idea who the cold caller was u
Paisley Belle
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Last Year I had the honor of meeting Benoit in NY at the Rochestester YA Teen Bookfest. I throughly enjoyed listening to him speak and decided to purchase Cold Calls. While my husbands spent the last 3 weeks in ICU fighting for his life I struggled daily and came across this book. Deciding I needed something to distract me and I set about to try this. I was pleasantly suprised how quickly I found myself 100% immersed in the book. Loved it and will be looking forward to reading more.
Lauri
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, suspense, classroom
It took me a few chapters to get involved with the characters, but once I did, Cold Calls was hard to put down. There was plenty of suspense and a few laugh out loud moments that made this an enjoyable read through the very last page.
Like all works of fiction, there were several elements that may not have been 100% plausible, but don't let that stop you. For me, a sequel would be appreciated.
Fadumo
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
veryyyyyyy good 100% recommend
Joy Landers
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
3 strangers, all with a secret they don't want to be revealed. One unknown bully, anonymously making them jump through hoops to keep their secrets hidden
Janice
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Emma
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book, it didn't interest me, so it took me a longer time to read. I didn't like the ending it was confusing to me. I wouldn't recommend this.
Danielle
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Suspenseful quick read. fun way to spend an evening.
Tess
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A 3.5 in my opinion. It was a good read, kept my interest and kept me on the edge, but the ending felt a bit rushed
Brittney
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
HOW DARE IT END LIKE THAT
Laura Ruffino
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love a good mystery!

• Buzz Kill
  • King of Marbury (The Marbury Lens #1.5)
  • Invisible Sun (Hell's Cross, #2)
  • Boys Don't Knit (in Public) (Boys Don't Knit, #1)
  • Sixth-Grade Glommers, Norks, and Me
  • Downward Facing Death (Keeley Carpenter #1)
  • How to Win at High School
  • Love by the Morning Star
  • Dan Versus Nature
  • Ghosting
  • Caged Warrior
  • A Home for Mr. Emerson
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Threatened (Ape Quartet #2)
  • Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse
  • The Darkest Path
  • The Open Curtain
  • The Secrets of Lily Graves
When he's not traveling around the globe in the search of exotic, tax-deductible settings for his mysteries, Charles Benoit spends his days pumping out subliminal-laced advertising.
Nominated for an Edgar and a Barry, Relative Danger won the Franklin award and was the darling of fans and critics alike. Out of Order (2006) is set in modern India while Noble Lies (September 2007) takes place in Thai