Start by marking “Hooray for Hat!” as Want to Read:
Hooray for Hat!

Hooray for Hat!

Elephant wakes up grumpy—until ding, dong! What’s in the surprise box at the front door? A hat! HOORAY FOR HAT! Elephant marches off to show Zebra, but Zebra is having a grumpy day, too—until Elephant shares his new hat and cheers up his friend. Off they march to show Turtle! The parade continues as every animal brightens the day of a grumpy friend. An irresistible celebra ...more
Published June 3rd 2014 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published May 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hooray for Hat!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hooray for Hat!

Cheryl
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Would I like it more if I had friends who would march in a hat parade with me? Maybe. But there are flaws, as a few other reviewers have pointed out. Too simple, too many male characters, and a weird definition of 'grumpy.'
Michele Knott
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hooray for Hat! When you're grumpy, hats make you feel better! At least it did for these friends :) I loved the grumpy animal faces and how happy the hats made them. I also liked how the hats seemed to fit the personalities of each animal. I'm thinking I would have the hat with the cup and straw on it... filled with a strawberry margarita :)
Matthew Winner
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brian Won's debut picture book celebrates the power of small acts of kindness, when received or given out, to transform your mood and perspective on situations.

What starts out as a grumpy day for elephant quickly becomes reason to celebrate when an unexpected package is delivered to his front doorstep. Inside is the box is an assortment of colorful hats, all of which Elephant dons at once, one on top of the other. As Elephant cheers, "HOORAY FOR HAT!", the thought comes to mind that he should vi
Becky
First sentence: When Elephant woke up he was very grumpy. The doorbell rang. Elephant stomped down the stairs. "Go away! I'm Grumpy!"

Premise/plot: Elephant was very, very grumpy until the unwrapping of a present. The gift? A hat. But not just any hat! A super-super-crazy hat that goes a long, long way in lifting one's grumps! This Elephant learns throughout the book. Elephant first visits Zebra--who is GRUMPY--and then Turtle--who is GRUMPY--and then Owl--who is GRUMPY--and then Lion--who is GRU
Susan
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, storybook
Meh. It's a silly story.

I do not understand why all of the animals were so grumpy, except for lion. Lion said he was grumpy because he was thinking about giraffe,who was not doing well. Even then, however, would lion not be worried, or anxious or concerned, rather than grumpy? Serious? What was with all of the grumpiness?

I also did not understand why five of the six characters were male (giraffe's gender is not disclosed, but by that time in the book you sort of assume giraffe too is male). Omis
Abby
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Lovely illustrations, not very exciting. Moral of the story - wear a hat, you will find joy. Don't wear a hat, you will be grumpy for all your days unless you are gifting a hat to another grumpy friend.
Meg
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fun way to encourage little ones to look for the positive things in each day.
Gina
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute book! When you're having a grumpy day, a hat can cheer you right up. My four-year old daughter loved it.
Donna Mork
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: repeats
Cute book about a grumpy elephant who cheers up when a box appears and it is full of hats. He goes out and finds his friends. Each one is grumpy but feels better when he shares a hat. In the end they all go and cheer up the giraffe. Hooray for friends.
Jannah
Elephant is GRUMPY. But when a mysterious box of hats arrives on the porch, a happy chain reaction occurs! Will hats help *all* of Elephant's other crabby friends?

This was a fun one to read out loud for a hat-themed storytime! Everyone chimed in for the "Go away, I'm grumpy" and "HOORAY FOR HAT!" lines. The illustrations are cute and I liked how the image layout switched things up a couple times for some of the most pivotal moments.
Heather
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
With grumpy and happy voices this has been a huge hit for my almost two year old. Perfect for a younger audience who enjoys the simple bliss of making friends happy. Although my six year old who loves deep wordy books finds this just as funny. Maybe it's the way it's read or that her brother enjoys it so much.
Shoshana G
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice repetition. Bright and boldly differentiated illustrations.

I read this at story time and the pictures grabbed attention, and I read this at a day care and they enjoyed yelling "hooray for hat" at appropriate moments.
Arree Chung
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Elegant and delightful. A strong graphic style and quirky charming characters deliver a simple message about life- that friends make life better. The message is told in a light way without being heavy handed or preachy. Won's illustrations are deceptively simple, modern and bold.
Dylan Teut
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book that teaches readers it is good to receive, but it is even better to give.
Edward Sullivan
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Nothing like a new hat to cheer you when you're down. A cheerful celebration of sharing and friendship.
Jenny Fiero
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My Kinder and First Grade students delighted in both the compassionate story and whimsical drawings.
Lynn
Why are they ALL grumpy?
Cute illustrations and attractive colors.
pati
Another fun book for the very young - grumpy animals cheer up with the arrival of a hat sharing elephant.
Donalyn
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Feeling grumpy? Get a hat!
Lara
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
The story though is pretty simple and nothing particularly exciting. The take-home message is a little vague as well. I like the illustrations though - nice and brightly colored and pretty fun. The kids in storytime enjoyed them too. It's a pretty repetitive story, so the kids could join in on the choruses of "Go away, I'm grumpy" and "HOORAY FOR HAT!"
I used it with a storytime on hats (craft was decorating a silly paper hat) so it fit in and was fun for the kids. For other topics, I can see usi
Jessica Oban
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
So many questions. Why was everyone so grumpy? Who gave Elephant the box of hats in the first place? Was it Giraffe? Is that why Giraffe was so grumpy? He had to give all of these hats to Elephant to make Elephant happy, but that left none for Giraffe because the box was short a hat. Does this book have a Bootstrap Paradox?

This may or may not be a strangely deep and complex science fiction children’s book.
Melissa
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Elephant is grumpy today but that all changes when a surprise present appears and soon he is parading around, giving hats to his grumpy friends and cheering them up too. Only, Lion doesn't feel that he can cheer up when Giraffe is sick so the friends devise a plan and soon Giraffe is feeling better too, with all the hats on his head!

This is a good book for a unit on clothing.

This is a good book for a unit on friends.

This is a good book for a unit on emotions.
Julia
Wonderful fun read-aloud for toddler and pre-school storytimes. The repetition of "Go away, I'm grumpy!" and "Hooray for hat!" are perfect, emotionally resonant for little ones and fun to shout as a group as the story progresses. The two times the book turns long-ways are also a fun change - try doing this in a room of storytime parents and wait for the "oohs" and "aahs." Great for themes of feelings, friendship, hats, presents, and wild animals.
RC
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Go away! I'm grumpy!"

Elephant is not having a good day. But then a surprise shows up on his doorstep! When Elephant goes to show his friends, he may have a way to cheer them up, too!

The simple, repetitive text and bright pictures makes it a great read-aloud for toddlers and preschoolers, many of whom may relate to being grumpy :)
Karen
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
For some reason we like a lot of children's books having to do with hats (*cough* I Want My Hat Back). Anyway, this one is kind of cute, about friends cheering each other up. My 3yo now says "I'm grumpy" sometimes when he's upset, which is a definite improvement over a tantrum (yay for describing emotions with words).
Viviane Elbee
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a really fun book, which shows how friends, kind actions & colorful hats can sometimes brighten your day.
It's a very quick read, perfect for babies, toddlers, preschoolers & young elementary.
Kids enjoyed it and voted to give this 5 stars.
Great for toddler and preschool story times (get them yelling "Hooray for hat!" with you). Great illustrations and a wonderful message about the power of attitude and friends to affect feelings/attitude.
Mister David
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Very nice. Colorful, simple, repetitious. Opportunities for children to participate in the repeating phrases. 6 characters are all animals who change from grumpy to happy when their friends share.
Storytime Chrissy
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hats, animals
This was a solid storytime read. Everyone helped put their hands on their hips and say 'Go away, I'm grumpy!'. Likewise when the animals cheered up, we all shouted 'Hooray for hat!'. Needed a little bit of additional dialogue from the storyteller to flesh out enough for older kids.
Heather
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Don’t know why the giraffe is sick. Nor why everybody is grumpy. But my son pointed to the cover after reading, mumbled the animals’ names saying “feel better!!!” It’s his first time ever connecting with a book!!!
  • Little Elliot, Big City
  • Flight School
  • Chengdu Could Not, Would Not, Fall Asleep
  • Get Out of My Bath!
  • The Midnight Library
Brian Won wore many hats as a busboy, shoe salesman, art store cashier, art director, and designer before he turned his talents to illustrating children's books.

A Chicago native, Brian graduated from California’s Art Center College of Design with an honorary ninth term before co-founding National Television, a design and animation company. Brian's awards include the Silver Medal by the Society of