Start by marking “The Pale Companion (Shakespearean Murder, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Pale Companion (Shakespearean Murder, #3)

The Pale Companion (Shakespearean Murder #3)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  32 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Midsummer 1601. Nick Revill and his fellow actors in the Chamberlain's Men are journeying across the Wiltshire Downs for a country-house presentation of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. It should be a pleasant, well-paid jaunt to celebrate a noble marriage, but things go wrong from the start. On a brief stopover in the market town of Salisbury, the locals make clea ...more
Published June 27th 2002 by Constable & Robinson (first published June 13th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Pale Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pale Companion

John Lee
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I have only recently read and enjoyed the first two books on this series and perhaps I shouldnt have come to this 3rd so soon. It may have been me but I found the first half of this book a bit slow and hard going. Maybe it was the way Nick narates his story or may be I had overdosed on the Chamberlains Men or may be it was just me.
On balance, I was pleased that I persisted as the last third made compelling reading as the plot unfolded. I totally missed a couple of hints that were given as to the
LJ
Sep 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
THE PALE COMPANION (Amateur Sleuth-England-1600) – VG
Goodin, Philip – 3rd in series
Constable, 2002 - Hardcover
Actor Nick Reville and the Chamberlain's Men have been asked s to perform Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream" as part of the wedding celebration at the country house of Lord Elcombe. Befriended by Robin, a ragged man living in the forest who claims himself a lord. When Robin is found hanged, Nick doesn't believe it's a suicide.
*** Goodin writes a very good story with a excellent, cle
Kristen
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
The Pale Companion is a passable murder mystery. It is a slow-moving plot (the first murder isn't revealed till nearly half-way through the book) but the characters are interesting and colourful. In particular the main character of Nicholas Revill, an actor, is clever, and insightful, and has some great scenes.

The story itself has a bit of a surprise ending, but will certainly not fool those avid murder mystery buffs who try to figure out who dunnit.

Aside from the fact that A Midsummer Night's D
Homerun2
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: series-in-limbo, dnf
I had previously read two others of this series. I just had trouble finishing this one. Everything about it seemed just ok. I admit I prefer the bawdier Edward Marston series, similar setting and time period.
Bonnie
A fun murder mystery series, as told by Elizabethan actor Nick Revill. Historical details add to the plot making the mystery interesting. Entertaining.
Luanne Castle
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Fun mystery set in Shakespearean days, but with a decidedly modern feel.
Linda
Jul 19, 2010 rated it liked it
A light easy read, especially for Shakespeare and mystery fans.
Sheila
Feb 27, 2015
Michelle
Sep 18, 2013
Brenda
rated it did not like it
Jul 23, 2015
Nov 11, 2007
Tanya
May 05, 2011
Mar 16, 2010
Philip Gooden lives in Bath. In addition to his Nick Revill series, Sleep of Death, he is the author of The Guinness Guide to Better English and the editor of The Mammoth Book of Literary Anecdotes. Each of his Nick Revill mysteries revolves around a Shakespearean play mirroring life - in Sleep of Death the play was Hamlet, in this offering it is Troilus and Cressida.
AKA Philippa Morgan.

Series:
* S
More about Philip Gooden...

Shakespearean Murder (6 books)
  • Sleep of Death (Shakespearean Murder, #1)
  • Death of Kings (Shakespearean Murder, #2)
  • Alms for Oblivion (Shakespearean Murder, #4)
  • Mask of Night (Shakespearean Murder, #5)
  • An Honorable Murderer (Shakespearean Murder, #6)