Start by marking “Graduation Day (The Testing, #3)” as Want to Read:
Graduation Day (The Testing, #3)

Read Excerpt

Graduation Day

(The Testing #3)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  21,374 Ratings  ·  1,794 Reviews
In a scarred and brutal future, The United Commonwealth teeters on the brink of all-out civil war. The rebel resistance plots against a government that rules with cruelty and cunning. Gifted student and Testing survivor Cia Vale vows to fight. But she can't do it alone. This is the chance to lead that Cia has trained for - but who will follow? Plunging through layers of da ...more
Published June 17th 2014 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Graduation Day, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Callie Rose Tyler
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Callie Rose Tyler
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
YA Novels of 2014
1,547 books — 9,152 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica RothDivergent by Veronica Roth
YA Dystopia Novels
1,244 books — 10,782 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathleen Lanman
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing ending to the series. There were so many little things that irritated in this book. Her magical, omnipresent bag of holding, for example. It's always there, and it contains anything and everything. At one point I thought the bag was the author having a sly joke with the reader, but I think that was wishful thinking.

Nobody behaved in ways that made sense. Why would a national leader put a child in charge of a violent uprising? For that matter, the whole testing system makes no
Oct 11, 2014 rated it did not like it

This final book in the series, which up until this point had been decent, was abysmal; it was just absolutely terrible. I read the first two books in a few days but I almost had to pin my eyelids open to get through this one.

Here's a content breakdown:

50% - Talking about what to do again and again and...

The President gives Cia an assignment. Cia spends several chapters coming up with a plan that we then have to listen to her tell Tomas...and then Stacia...and then Raffe...and Zeen. Then they hav
Jilly
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopia, y-a
Well, thank God we have Cia in the future because she seems to be the lone possible savior of the entire world. Literally. Even the president needs this teenage girl to save what is left of the country because she has not one other person in all of her government that can do what Super Cia can do! So, don't worry for our future, kids, Cia is on the case!

Seriously, I've read some annoyingly too good at everything characters before, but Cia takes the cake. I really liked The Testing, and enjoyed I
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia, sci-fi
Okay...as much as I would like to tell you that the finale to this dystopian series wouldn't end in a rebellion, I couldn't tell you that because that is exactly the direction of the entire series.

Having said that though, I am still satistfied with the outcome of the story and that is saying much especially when it comes to a dystopian series finale.
Rachel Maniacup
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rachel by: Sarah
Reading the final book in a trilogy,most of all in dystopian is always a dread for me (especially after having read the Divergent series),'cause I never wanted to experience any more frustrations after having read an awesome starting of the series,when at the final book,you'll only be devastated on the series'ending!?that sucks big time!

So to be honest,I want to tell you that I enjoyed reading this book,but not as much as I enjoyed the first two books in this series.

In this final book,Cia was gi
Isabel
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Oh dear Lord, this was seriously a let-down. The first two books? Fantastic. Action packed. Loved them.

This one? Boooooooring.

I was stuck between finishing what I'd started and setting it down because of how boring it was. Only a few pages in, I knew it was already not as good as the first two.

**There are a few spoilers from here I suppose. Just don't read more if you haven't read it yet.**

As someone else has already pointed out, why in the heck would a president put a teenage girl in charge of
Jaylia3
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Graduation Day begins in high tension, right where Independent Study left off, but within the first few pages author Joelle Charbonneau manages to weave in a review of the previous two books in the series without diminishing the tautness or velocity of this final entry in The Testing trilogy--very helpful for readers like me who have had a wait between volumes to finish the story. Cia has just discovered a shocking truth about the rebellion meant to bring down the Testing--a ruthless elimination ...more
Jamie
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I just can't get past the Mary Sue main character. She seems to have an intimate knowledge of EVERYTHING, so she never has to ask people questions or consult books. She is the only trustworthy person in the entire novel, so much so that the president asked her alone to commit the act that would prevent a war, with no other plan to fall back on. She won't accept help from anyone else because she doesn't have faith in anyone but herself. Oh and she also has superhuman strength because with the amo ...more
Jeff Raymond
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If I'm being honest with myself, the way The Testing ends the series up is a little bit of a disappointment. It's not the trainwreck that The Hunger Games became, mind you, but it's still felt a little out of step and not the sense of closure one would expect.

Essentially, we've spent the first two books building up a world so Cia can tear it down. The book has moved into full-on political conspiracy mode with plenty of spycraft and such to go along with it. Once things get started, the book real
Marketa
Sep 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ne. Ne a ne. Néé.
To byla taková nuda. Takové lehce předvídatelné nic plné ničeho.
Hrozně jsem se po jedničce těšila na další díly, co si autorka vymyslí, ale evidentně už netušila, CO SI VYMYSLET.
Poslední díl byl plný YA blbosti v podobě "hlavní hrdinka musí udělat všechno, protože je to prostě hlavní hrdinka a vůbec nevadí, že je jí nějakých směšných 16 let. Protože... je to hlavní YA hrdinka." Meh.
May
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: estantería
UNA TERCERA PARTE QUE VUELVE A FLOJEAR PERO QUE CIERRA A LA PERFECCIÓN LA TRILOGÍA

La graduación es la tecera y última parte de la trilogía La prueba, trilogía distópica con tintes muy tópicos y a la vez diferentes. Una trilogía con sus subidas y bajadas, cuyo primer libro (La prueba) me encantó, cuyo segundo libro (La iniciación) flojeó un poco pero me dejó con ganas de más, y una trilogía que en sí me ha gustado pero que decae con cada libro.
Como digo, La graduación es un tercer libro que vuel
Sharon Mariampillai
Actual Rating: 3.15

This is a good read. I liked the book, but I thought it lacked the same intensity as the previous two books. The story had action and the characters were great as usual. I thought the ending could have been way better. I really did not like how it ended as I thought there could have been more. Maybe an epilogue to tell us about Cia and how she is after her decision. I just thought the author could have given us more than what we got. It is sad to see a great book have such
Grüffeline
Jul 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Die Dinge laufen nicht immer so, wie wir uns das vorstellen. Du musst dich einfach wieder aufrappeln und dir eine neue Richtung suchen.

ENDLICH HAB ICH ES GESCHAFFT! Woohooo! Und jetzt suche ich mir auch ganz schnelle eine andere Richtung, a.k.a. ein anderes Buch, das hoffentlich besser zu unterhalten weiß.
Nach dem ersten Buch nahm der Lesegenuss dieser Trilogie leider rapide ab. Erinnerte der erste Teil noch ein wenig an die Tribute von Panem, langweilte man sich eher so durch den zweiten Teil
Kimberly
I'm sad I didn't enjoy this more. It wasn't as action-packed or fast-paced as its predecessors, Cia's motivations didn't ring true to her character, and the triple and quadruple-crossing (this group is working for this person! No, this person! No, that person!) grew confusing and tiresome. The final confrontation was a let down and pretty unsatisfying.
Nikita
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I know it took me so long to finish the novel but it doesn't mean it's not good. Just too much school work but I think this is still a solid finale to the trilogy. I'm a little sad it's over.
Kelsey
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, books-i-own
Deze serie is gooooooed! Zeker een aanrader
ღ Suus ღ (pages.and.books)
Wat een fantastisch derde boek van deze geweldige trilogie. Het was zo spannend dat ik niet meer kon stoppen met lezen en heb ik de tweede helft van het boek in 1 ruk uitgelezen.

Deel 2 en 3 heb ik na elkaar gelezen waardoor ik nog lekker in het verhaal zat en enorm met Cia meeleefde. "Hoe gaat dit aflopen?" bleef ik mezelf continue afvragen. Op een gegeven moment vertrouw je ook niemand meer.

Het einde (eigenlijk het hele boek) was niet voorspelbaar. Ik heb geen enkel moment gedacht dat het zo
Amy
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Een mooie en spannende afsluiter van deze trilogie! Met elk hoofdstuk wilde ik weet verder lezen. Het einde past er ook helemaal bij. Ik zou hiervan misschien nog wel een novella van zien verschijnen ooit, dat zou leuk zijn. Uiteindelijk heeft het concept mij ook verbaasd, deel een deed mij veel denken aan THG en Divergent, maar de andere twee delen zijn totaal anders! Een toffe YA serie.
Cheryl
May 31, 2014 rated it liked it
The final book in the Testing series is finally here. I have grown close to Cia throughout these books. I was so looking forward to reading this final book. Even though I knew it would be bitter sweet because the series was ending. I found myself struggling to get into this book. I started it and it took several tries for me to stick with it. The problem is that there was so much action in the second book with the "testing" that when I got to the final book, it was more talk then it was action. ...more
Morris
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-reviews
More of my reviews can be found at: Adult in the Ya Section

I absolutely loved “The Testing”, and while a bit disappointed in “Independent Study”, I still enjoyed it. I wish I had stopped before I read “Graduation Day”.

The one redeeming factor of “Graduation Day” is the action, so I will begin there. The action sequences were intense and real page turners. Unfortunately, there was not enough of it.

It all seems like the author is trying too hard to put in plot twists. Some of it came nowhere and m
Madz
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book (and series) was outstanding! Joelle Charbonneau outdid herself by filling the whole Testing series with love, loss, instinct and trust in a way that not only captivated me but made me smile at happy times and cry (especially at the end). I highly recommend this book to anyone that loves a great book filled with impossible choices and difficult answers.
Becky_C1
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finally. The long-awaited conclusion to "The Testing" trilogy.

To be honest, I really enjoyed the first two books of this series, but the last book was a bit of a disappointment(I know...harsh). It was still well written, so maybe I was dissatisfied because my hopes beforehand were way too high.

The first two books were full of action and suspense; however, I felt as though the author Joelle Charbonneau purposely dragged this book out and added a large amount of clutter. There were details in th
Chelsea
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cia Vale, an ardent, intrepid, and judicious girl, is about to start a rebellion so precarious that any wrong move will result in her death, along with many others. Cia, and her friends from the colonies, have lived through many scarring encounters, and they feel that they have seen enough. Most of those encounters occurred in The Testing, a ruthless set of challenges that let only the most skilled survive. They want it all to end, The Testing itself, the people who created it, and the way it pu ...more
Jalyn
I've finally found a YA Dystopian with a decent ending! Woohoo!

This is the final book in The Testing series and this book concluded the series very well. Though I didn't fly through this one quite as fast as I did the first two books, it was still very good with lots of little surprises. I couldn't decide who to trust the entire way through the book. How do you know who to trust when you're dealing with the most brilliant, and in some cases, the most power hungry minds? Who do you believe when y
Diana Torales
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
Maybe 3.75
I need more answers but I love it
Kelly Roberson
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book, and I loved it soo much!! I thought this was such a fantastic ending to the trilogy, and it really allows you the opportunity to decide for yourself how the future will play out. This book kept the thrilling pace of the other two books while also really calling into question right and wrong, moving away from past mistakes, who is worthy of trust, and so many other crucial things that really kept you guessing through the story. I also love that Cia stays try to the very ...more
Daniel
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it

Plot- 7.5/10
Characters- 8.5/10
Writing- 9/10
World Building- 9/10

TOTAL- 8.3/10

Quickie Review- Graduation Day is my 100th book read on Goodreads. *celebrates* Now, I was eagerly anticipating this book- the cover is amazing and the end of the second book, Independent Study, promised an epic conclusion to the Testing series. I wasn't disappointed with this, but I wasn't thoroughly impressed by it either. It was most certainly better than the other series conclusions I've read this year (Monu
Amy at Read What I Like
While I enjoyed this trilogy, the last book left me wanting and in the end I’m just kinda glad its over. Out of them all I like book two the best and had similar feelings towards book one and three. Perhaps it is just time to put YA dystopian books aside for a while. I’m feeling so ambivalent about the book I’m really not sure where to go with my review, the book just didn’t grab me until the last third, part of that could have been I read the first chapter of my next read and got really excited ...more
Fallon
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this political dystopian world created by the effects of war. This explores our very nature and if people can learn from their mistakes. I also liked the science fiction feel the book had. Here are my favorite quotes from Graduation Day and I tried to pick ones without spoilers.

* "I must keep calm. In control.This is the most important test I have faced thus far in my life. Too much is riding on th correct answer. I can not fail."

* "Trust no one, Cia. It's not just your life but also the
What happens to Tomas 9 112 Mar 05, 2018 06:13AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Graduation Day (The Testing #3) by Joelle Charbonneau - Starting April 5th 2017 10 21 Apr 26, 2017 09:58PM
Around the Year i...: Graduation Day, by Joelle Charbonneau 1 19 May 04, 2016 07:39PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Graduation Day by Joelle Charbonneau 1 11 Jun 22, 2015 11:35AM
lend me 2 6 May 16, 2015 10:32AM
Decataur Colory - kind of like District 13? 3 27 Sep 24, 2014 08:45PM
  • Three (Article 5, #3)
  • Captive (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #2)
  • Worlds Collide (Sunset Rising, #2)
  • Divided (Dualed, #2)
  • Strike (The SYLO Chronicles, #3)
  • Temptation (Secret Diaries, #1)
  • The Defiant (The Forsaken #3)
  • Strong Deaf
  • Override (Glitch, #2)
  • Grip (Slip, #2)
  • In the End (In the After, #2)
  • Deliver Me
  • Flame (Sky Chasers, #3)
  • Altered (Crewel World, #2)
  • Savage Drift (Monument 14, #3)
  • The Treatment (The Program, #2)
  • Rebel (Reboot, #2)
  • The Far Dawn (The Atlanteans, #3)
I am a storyteller at heart. I have performed in a variety of operas, musical theatre and children's theatre productions across the Chicagoland area.

While I'm happy to perform for an audience, I am equally delighted to teach private voice lessons and use my experience from the stage to create compelling characters on the page. I am the author of the Rebecca Robbins mystery series (Minotaur Books)

The Testing (3 books)
  • The Testing (The Testing, #1)
  • Independent Study (The Testing, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Three Times Lucky
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Small Rain: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
“People will believe the crisis is over because they want to believe their world is safe.” 20 likes
“The time to lead is now.” 17 likes