Start by marking “Sanctuary” as Want to Read:
Sanctuary

Sanctuary

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  273 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
In a heart-racing thriller described as Falling Skies meets The Walking Dead, Jennie struggles to find a safe place for what’s left of her family. But it seems as though there is no place sacred, no place secure. First the aliens attacked the sun, making it dimmer, weaker, and half what it used to be. Then they attacked the water supply, killing one-third of Earth’s popula ...more
Published September 30th 2013 by AltWit Press (first published September 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sanctuary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sanctuary

J.L. Mbewe
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book would not let me go.

First the nuts and bolts.

The characters. There are three main viewpoints: Jennie, Hugh, and Brad. I liked how the author subtly connected the viewpoints when she first introduced them to us. Hugh was a teacher Jennie knew; Hugh lost his girlfriend to Brad, his brother. Although, I wonder what purpose Brad will serve later on in the story as he seems to just be there to add conflict and contrast with his brother, so you know he's going to have to come up again. The
♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)
You can read this review and more on my blog:
I received a free copy for this book from the author via YA Bound Book Tours in exchange for an honest review.

This book was a mixture of quite a few genres. There was a Science Fiction, Horror, and a hint if inspirational/Christian Fiction. I never would have thought that these things would blend well together, but somehow, they did.

The story is told from the point of views of three different characters. Jennie is a 19-year old college sophomore,
✿kawehi.reviews
☆ I received an GCRBook Tours from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!! ☆

“And in the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.

description

The fourth angel sounded his trumpet, and a third of the sun was struck, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars, so that a third of them turned dark. A third of the day was without light, and also a third of the night.
As I watched, I heard an eagle that was fl
Melissa Lee
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was given a chance to read an ARC. I LOVE THIS BOOK. I was so scared for the 3 days I read it. I was scared to walk outside, scared to enter a building. I forgot I was reading a story. It all seemed so real. And I'm not a zombie fan but I loved this book.
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Wow!! What a different spin on the post apocalyptic madness. Aliens create the zombies....what a fresh idea. I LOVED this book - Once I started I couldn't put it down and the only problem I have with it is the ending and no book #2.

I want to know more about Jennie and Hugh - what happens with Brad? Where is the portal and can Hugh find it and keep it closed?

Gripping - thought provoking and entertaining the whole way through. Splash a bit of Christianity in there with some positive teachings and
Toni
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Post Apocalyptic, Horror, Zombies, Science Fiction
Shelves: thriller
Head on over to My Book Addiction for your chance to WIN some awesome Sanctuary goodies during the zOctober 2013 event!

***********

Sanctuary begins with the world still trying to process the fact that alien crafts have arrived on Earth. The aliens inside haven’t done anything in the six weeks since their arrival other than hover in their crafts and contaminate the water supply, but everyone is terrified and waiting for the other shoe to drop. Wow, does it ever drop hard! Jennie’s mom is the firs
Adam Collings
An alien invasion which brings about a zombie-like plague, all set against the biblical end-times prophecies in the book of Revelation. This is a fantastic premise with which to begin a novel.

I enjoyed the combined sense of looming dread and awe that opens the book. Aliens have landed. They've done something to the sun and they've poisoned our water, but beyond that nothing. They just sit in their ships day in day out. Will they ever come out and make contact? Will they try to exterminate us? T
Everything Marie
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow, this book was surprisingly pretty good. I really enjoyed it. And on top of all that, the story was based in my hometown in Virginia! Who knew right??!!

Okay, so right off the bat, the story starts off with Jennie, a college student experiencing the worst of all things. Within the first chapter, Earth has been invaded by aliens, well more precisely UFO's, (the silver saucers) and they have all settled above major cities all around the world. Jennie, along with her mother, father, and 5-year
Kimber Wheaton
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
*I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Sanctuary is a fast-paced urban sci-fi suspense. While the protagonist's age it somewhere between YA and New Adult, I also feel it's suitable for middle school as well. In fact, I think the Middle Grade audience will really appreciate the non-stop action. Sanctuary is a clean read; I can't recall any use of offensive language, and the attacks, though bloodthirsty, are almost more interesting than violent.

Jennie is about to en
Amber
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sanctuary by Pauline Creeden is an immensely introspective and fiercely volatile vision of the human heart and soul. The level of emotion and the depth of feeling that runs through the pages of this book will tear at your heart until only truth remains. This is one story that packs a huge punch in such a small package! You never know what is coming next, and that will have you biting your nails in both terrifying fear and eager anticipation. You will be at odds with yourself the entire time, but ...more
C.P.
Oct 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
Y.I. Lee
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sanctuary by Pauline Creeden is brilliant. It kept me up most nights way passed my bedtime. I got so involved with the characters I couldn't stop reading. The story is a great mix of horror, suspense, faith and a touch of romance. In parts it was so frightening; I found myself fearfully clutching my kindle, and wondering; what's going to happen next.
I like the way the author Pauline Creeden structured the book, giving each character, Jennie, Hugh and Brad their own chapters, and then bringing i
K.M. Carroll
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I was a beta reader for this book, and it was rough. I'd get sucked into the story and forget that I was supposed to be watching for typos.

This is an apocalypse book. Aliens are invading and turning people into zombies. The sun is dim and the air is cold. Society is beginning to collapse. The apocalypse is seen through the eyes of four characters, and their core personalities and values are brought to light by how they handle the aliens and zombies.

I had to keep getting up and checking to make s
Sandra "Jeanz"
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing

INITIAL THOUGHTS
I am looking forward to reading this book. My favourite genres are dystopian & post apocalyptic. From the blurb I'd guess this book is post apocalyptic. The title of the book is "sanctuary" I presume the characters within the book find or create some sort of, 'safe haven' from whatever type of apocalypse has struck the world. Then upon reading the blurb, I saw that it wasn't my the usual type of global disaster apocalypse. In this book the apocalypse is because Aliens have la
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
Sanctuary begins at the start of an alien apocalypse. The visitors whomever they may be haven't moved in six weeks and while the ships hovering over the Earth are troublesome for 19 year old Jennie life must go on. That is until the ships open and what emerges is neither man, nor friendly. Now in a race for their lives Jennie, her brother Mickey and a small group of survivors try to find sanctuary in what might be the last safe hold in the city.

Alien invasions mixed with Zombie-ish creatures is
Beverly
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Right from the first chapter my attention was riveted and propelled forward by the fast paced story. The suspense didn't allow me to rest until I had finished the book a few hours later, with few interruptions, all in one sitting.

It was a little difficult for me to discern which genre this story fits most into, categorically. The opening event, an alien invasion, qualifies it as a science fiction tale with apocalyptic overtones when one third of the world's population is destroyed by the poison
Sabrina Olteanu
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

I’m not crazy about books with apocalypse and UFO spaceships , but I can’t give this book less that five stars! It’s amazing! It’s something else, different – in a good way, and they writing it’s spectacular. I was gripping my kindle because I was wondering what can happen next. Brilliant, I tell you!

Jennie Ransom is a college student who thought she had a normal life, until she was thrown into a life full of aliens. One day, UFO spaceships c
Laura Greenwood
Review forthcoming on http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

I received a copy of Sanctuary in exchange for my review as a part of this blog tour.

After the aliens arrived Jennie's mother refused to let her go back to college. But only hours after having the conversation the aliens attack, biting Jennie's mother. With her parents rushing ahead to the hospital, Jennie prepares her little brother Mickey to follow. Once there they discover that the attack was far more wide spread than first thought
Jo Michaels
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of zombie novels or apocalyptic fiction
Zombie novel? Love! Christian science fiction with zombies? Um... Wow. I had no idea what I was in for when I started this book. What an awesome twist on the biblical apocalypse. Rather than being some mutated disease causing people to start acting like zombies, what if it's an alien invasion? Well, this is the direction Sanctuary takes you in. Let's get to the good stuff, shall we?

From a Reader's Perspective:
I loved watching the main character, Jennie, come into her own through the story. When
Casey Bond
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My Review of Sanctuary by Pauline Creeden:

The Cover: The cover is amazing and is a beautiful graphic that conveys the overall feel of the book itself. I love it. The main character/female protagonist, Jennie is portrayed with the backdrop of a Church, the sanctuary for quite a good portion of the book until the characters are forced to move.

The Characters:
Jennie: She is a force to be reckoned with. She is brave, becomes a guardian of her younger brother, fights against all odds. Simply an am
Pam
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aliens
Jennie is scared when the aliens arrive. Her friend and others think it is awesome but she is worried. When one third of the population dies from the aliens attacking the water supply the others have to worry when the next step will be. Jennie is stuck at home with her parent and little brother when they strike again. Now Jennie has to see if she can make it to safety with her little brother. Along the way she meets some new people and she sees she has the courage to go on. How far will the alie ...more
Ryan Snyder
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hmaybe
4.5

I had read zombie invasion books before, but I had never read an alien invasion book before I picked this one up, so I was unsure what to expect. I mean, with aliens, the sky is the limit (haha) and I was gearing up for a book full of all sorts of freaky (albeit awesome) stuff. Imagine my surprise when there are aliens AND zombies. I was like.. whoah. Hold up. This just got AWESOME.

Yes, it is an apocalyptic end of human kind novel, so there is violence and scary elements in this book- like s
Alexia Purdy
This review first posted to my blog: http://alexiaepurdy.blogspot.com/2013...

If you love apocalyptic stories, this one would fit the bill. I was fortunate to get to read a beta edition of this book. Elements of the story could change prior to publication fyi.

Jennie Ransom finds herself in the middle of the apocalypse when UFO spaceships appear over cities on earth. Weeks later, everyone is trying to live a normal life but it all goes down the drain on one terrifying day.

What the heck happened? I
Cianna Sunshine & Mountains Book Reviews
Grade: A
I love dystopian novels, and I love zombie novels, and when I read that this book seemed to have a way with both styles, I was excited to start reading my ARC! Pauline Creeden has written a wonderfully imaginative book that pulls readers into the story, and keeps them running to keep up. It’s perfect, realistic, and griping. I’d suggest it to anyone.
There are 3 characters which we really get to know, Hugh, a teacher, Jennie the main girl, and Brad the brother that stole Hugh’s girlfriend
Jessica
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombies
I was giving a copy of this Amazing book by the author in exchange for my honest review & here it is……

I absolutely love Sanctuary by Pauline Creeden. How could I not she took two of my favorite interests, aliens & zombies, and put them in one fantastic book. Sanctuary puts a whole new twist on the zombie genre & I haven’t read anything like it before. So many times when reading or watching something about zombies you get the feeling there is no hope, but not in Sanctuary. This story
Reeses
See my full review on my blog

I received a copy of Sanctuary for an honest review.

Sanctuary is a zombie, apocalyptic, horror, sci-fi, young adult, religious novel all rolled up into one story. Aliens have landed and after six months of nothing but destroying the human water supply they’re attacking. There are beasts called shisa which are lion-dog like animals who infect humans with an alien virus that causes them to become zombie like and attacking anything and everything and then dying five day
Elizabeth Alsobrooks
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one of those Apocolyptic novels that is marketed as YA and probably has a huge twenty-something fan base since the main character is a college student. But any age group will enjoy this novel.

As with many end of the world novels the young heroine struggles with her faith, and is taken in with her little brother by a minister and his wife, so there is a mild Christian theme to the story. Quotes from Revelations work well to tie the themes together.

Creeden has put a bit of a spin on the w
Sheila Hollinghead
Sanctuary defies placement in one genre. It is post-apocalyptic, horror, suspense, thriller, science fiction rolled into one. And add Christian to that.

Pauline Creeden is the author of numerous books. Her most recent, Armored Hearts, co-written with Melissa Turner Lee, was a bestseller in Christian Fantasy.

In Sanctuary, a young girl, Jennie must protect her younger brother from alien monsters--huge half lion/half dog-like creatures. But not just from the monsters themselves. The bites of these c
Shih-tzus Happens
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My hat off to you my lady.
I was asked to read this book and give an honest review

“And out of the smoke locusts came down on the earth and were given power like that of scorpions of the earth. They were told not to harm the grass of the earth or any”
“plant or tree, but only those people who did not have the seal of God on their foreheads. (Revelation 9:3)”

Excerpt From: Creeden, Pauline. “Sanctuary.”

This book caught me at page one This is a powerful book packed full of love, courage,excitement
Darlene
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Darlene by: Pauline Creeden
Shelves: beta-read
Received his an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. This is mine.
Sanctuary IS A THRILLER, faith base book, horror , an /an end of times all written in one.
The story starts out with a college student by the name roof Jeanne, who has come home because of the recent ale in attacks. The water is unfit to drink the fish are dieing off, the sun is not as bright any more. All since the aliens have arrived- they are only near the military bases (aliens that is). Jeanne and her frie
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • State of Decay: Part One
  • Alive (Crave, #1)
  • End Dayz (The Hitchhiker Strain, #0.5)
  • World of Ash (Ash and Ruin #1)
  • RecruitZ (Afterworld, #1)
  • The Silent Swan
  • The World Without a Future (The World Without End, #1)
  • Hero for Hire (Tales From Beyond the End, #1)
  • Love in the Time of the Dead
  • The Arrival of Armando DeLeon (In Darkness We Must Abide, #3)
  • Moirai (Aberrant, #2)
  • Arcadium (Arcadium, #1)
  • Controlling the Dead (The Famished Trilogy, #2)
  • Tell Me When I'm Dead (Tell Me When I'm Dead #1)
  • The Wishing Well Curse
  • Winter Fae (Armored Hearts, #0.5)
  • Cursed (Voodoo Nights #1)
  • Dead Dreams (Dead Dreams, #1)
Pauline Creeden is an award-winning author, horse trainer, and overall book ninja. She becomes the main character in each of her stories, and because she has ADD, she will get bored if she pretends to be one person for too long.

Armored Hearts, her joint effort with author Melissa Turner Lee, has been a #1 Bestseller in Christian Fantasy and been awarded the Crowned Heart for Excellence by InDtale
More about Pauline Creeden...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Nova
    $11.99 $1.99

“run out of cat food, so he set down the bowl so Tiger could have some sustenance. The cat sniffed the contents with curiosity but turned his nose up at it. “Come on, Ty, it’s all that we have. And it’s got milk-type products in it.” The cat met his eyes with malicious intent, accusing him of a poisoning attempt,” 0 likes