Start by marking “Better Off Friends” as Want to Read:
Better Off Friends

Better Off Friends

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  22,413 ratings  ·  2,928 reviews
For Macallan and Levi, it was friends at first sight. Everyone says guys and girls can't be just friends, but these two are. They hang out after school, share tons of inside jokes, their families are super close, and Levi even starts dating one of Macallan's friends. They are platonic and happy that way.

Eventually they realize they're best friends -- which wouldn't be so b
Published February 25th 2014 by Point

To ask other readers questions about Better Off Friends, please sign up.
Julliana Yes, it is! The basic plot of this book about best friends falling in love but keep missing each other is very much like Love, Rosie. Although for me…moreYes, it is! The basic plot of this book about best friends falling in love but keep missing each other is very much like Love, Rosie. Although for me it's like a simpler version of it.(less)

·  22,413 ratings  ·  2,928 reviews

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Here’s the basic difference between having a girl as a best friend as opposed to a guy.
When you’re best friends with a girl and you blather on and on, she kisses you to make you shut up.
*barf* I don't bloody think so.

If you have a really really cute guy friend and you guys have been close for so long but oh my god he's so hot and you think you're in love with him but does he like you and what about that time he checked out that other girl and oh my god you guys stay up all night talking and yo
Christine Riccio
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really really LOVED READING THIS BOOK <3 It was very when Harry Met Sally except over a younger time span 7th grade - Senior year of High school and I loved it! I JUST WANTED A FEW MORE CHAPTERS AT THE END. LE SIGH. THIS HAPPENS SO OFTEN. Just let me bask in the happy for a second jeez. =P
Cat
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
No, this is not really a review, because I haven't read the book yet; more of my personal thoughts and a story to go along with it. Read on only if you're interested.

This sounds so promising. Elizabeth Eulberg is absolutely amazing, and I'm excited for this, after my favorites The Lonely Hearts Club and Prom and Prejudice. (Take a Bow was okay, and I haven't read Revenge of the Girl With the Great Personality yet.)

But I will say: guys and girls CANNOT be best friends.
At all costs.
I doubt thi
Christine Alibutud
"But in truth, home isn’t necessarily where you sleep at night..."

description

"...It’s where you feel like yourself.
Where you’re most comfortable.
Where you don’t have to pretend, where you can be just you."

description

What a cute & fluffy read! Had me laughing and "awww"-ing all throughout! This book totally deserves a 5 BLIMEY-IF-I-DIDN'T-LIKE-IT STARS!!! It was just so.... cute!

Macallan + Levi = this cute gif
description

So let's meet 11-year-old Macallan who's super excited for the start of seventh grade. Now, what
Claudia Ramírez
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Cute :).

EDIT: I think I'll add the reasons I gave this three stars. Don't misunderstand! I really liked the book! It was cute and funny, but I think it was not for me. As I said in my review of Eulberg's other book (The Lonely Hearts Club), this book would've worked perfectly if I were 15 years old. My little brother read it at the same time as me and he absolutely LOVED it, and yeah, he's 15!

The characters really annoyed me sometimes, especially Levi!!! BUT a part of me really liked him, he wa
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3.75 tween romance stars!

Macallan and Levi have been friends since the seventh grade, when Levi was the new surfer kid from California and Macallan was the girl who lost her mother. The two didn’t want to be friends at first, but they end up forging a great connection anyway. Throughout the years, the two remain best friends even though everyone around them thinks they’re meant to be together. Constant drama with girlfriends, boyfriends, exfriends and others bring up the question, should they
Robin (Bridge Four)
Freaking Cute!!!
 photo puss-in-boots_zpsc51feb98.png

After reading a plethora of books with the insta-love factor in them it is so nice to take a step back and read a book where you watch the relationship between two people grow over years. Levi and Macallan met in the eighth grade and became fast friends. The way they talk to one another is fun easy banter of people who really know each other inside out.

”So, Carrie, I think we need to intervene before the Levi and Macallan Show takes over. Once they get started they don’t stop.
isabelle
If this books isn't the epitome of love life goals, I don't know what else is.

I read this in one day. On a school night. Ignoring my homework. Savoring each word. omfg.

Edit:

Found the best goddamn video to go with this book: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KtDYvF...
nick
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2014-favorites

MY FEELS!! They were all over the place after I finished reading Better Off Friends. This is the kind of book that made me want to go onto my rooftop and scream out my love for it at the top of my lungs. I haven't felt this happy after reading book ever since Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins. Beware, this review will not be very eloquent. Expect tons of gushing!

I've always loved books with best-friends romances and Better Off Friends was so perfect in that department. In fact, it
Rashika (is tired)
Any guy out there want to be my best friend???
*hopeful eyes*

Yeah I figured no one would :P

But yeah this book was the sweetest thing ever and really, two good YAs in a row? SCORE?

This has angst but one of the cutest friendships in the world and all the angst was worth it in the end. GAHHHHHH

Blimey if I know what to read next.
~Tina~

Daww, this book was just too sweet. Better off Friends, is my favorite kind of romantic since I simply adore friends-turned-romance above all. But this isn’t in the traditional swoon-worthy way I typically find in my reads, instead this really focus on the friendship and going through the motions of having a best friend of the opposite sex and trying to figure out how to handle all of the wonderful and conflicting emotions that comes with it. This book asks the question everyone at one
♥ Sarah
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was so adorable, cute and perfect for a cozy, rainy-day, pick-me-up read.
description

You know the story. The one where Girl meets Boy at a young age and they become fast friends by some stroke of fate – a commonality, an understanding, a simple smile, or a wave hello; the kind that screams, Potential Best Friend!

For Macallan & Levi, it was their mutual love for “Buggy and Floyd” their favorite BBC show that cemented their 7th grade BFF status. But of course, that simple status grows into much mor
Nanna
SUCH a cute contemporary! 4.5 stars!
Giselle
Super cute characters! These two are both such vivacious characters that I felt like I knew them already. Obviously a very predictable ending but I didn't care because it was just cute. I do think the title is definitely misleading though, but maybe that was the whole point? I couldn't stop myself from smiling!
Melissa Veras
3.5 stars. It started REALLY GOOD, but then it got way too dramatic for my taste. Nevertheless, it was a entertaining quick read.
Amanda
This was what it always came down to. The perception that there was no way Levi and I could be legitimately best friends and only best friends. Nobody ever got that.

If I have to read that Macallan and Levi are 'platonic' one more time, I'll explode. Look, let's get the positive out of the way. BETTER OFF FRIENDS is an easy read. Pretty writing and a well-paced story. For once I liked the side characters (even if they were barely in the story) more than the two main characters. I especially lov
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always by: Kimi (Geeky Chiquitas)
*Warning: The general plot of Better Off Friends will be explained in this review. Beware!

After seeing so many people rooting for the two main characters, I was more than eager to check this out for myself. To be honest, when I first saw it on NetGalley, I wasn't hugely interested. But when the reviews stating this book was "adorable and lovable" all came out, and I definitely had to pick it up myself.

You may or may not know that I have a weakness for romances between two best friends. It's like
Erica
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There is nothing like an Elizabeth Eulberg book, but this one really took the cake. I just can't even. It was SO CUTE. I was simply blown away by this one, and am sure you will be too.

It made my heart warm with all the Wisconsinisms it featured. There's this scene where Macallan is giving Levi a tour of the school and says the bubbler is at the end of the hall, and he has no idea what it is. I have done that SO MANY TIMES. Bubbler is a water fountain, but apparently no one else uses that :)

Ther
Nadia
2.5 stars.

Well, I'm a bit confused about my feelings towards this book. I kept reading it so that's a plus. I wasn't overly happy with it while reading and that's a minus.

Don't get me wrong, I generally tend to like best-friends-in-love books (I even have a shelf for it), but the title of this one made me curious because I thought it will be a story (view spoiler)
Liza Wiemer
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved, loved, loved, loved this novel, and since it's set in Wisconsin, it made it even better. Levi is, as my friends at Swoony Boys Podcast would say, totally swoon worthy! Told in alternating points of view, BETTER OFF FRIENDS IS contemporary YA novel perfection. <3 <3
I can't wait for this novel to be released to the world so that EVERYONE can enjoy it! Mark your calendars for February 25th! From what I understand, Elizabeth's launch party will be taking place at Boswell Bo
Alexandra
DNF (13%).

This book is definitely not my cup of tea or my peace of cake or whatever.
Too sweet. Too childish. Too quick. Too easy.
And of course some drama was going on-family problems-blabla, but I didn't really care about it.

photo tumblr_nsofxzRWbN1tder63o1_250_zpsctcx0ydn.gif

I just wanted to read something, related to "best-friends-but-more..." theme. Any suggestions?
Eryn
2 stars

Wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be ... however, it wasn't too bad either. The writing wasn't great at times and I pretty much knew how everything was going to end up. But it was still an enjoyable read, however, also very average at the same time.
Anatea Oroz
I was afraid I wouldn't like this one, but I'm glad that wasn't the case.

Review to come.
Paige
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing! It always kept my attention and there was never a dull moment.
Ari
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Honey-and-sugar sweet.
4.5 stars. Review to come!

I am in the mood for a cute love story.
Why isn't this book out already?! :D
Caroline
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, 2014
I just wanted a quick pick-me-up contemporary, so I picked this one up for a re-read! I love macallan and levi, and i'm a total sucker for best friends turned something else!!
Pinky
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not gonna lie, this book was entertaining and the pacing of the story was not too slow or too fast. But it had so many tropes and I couldn't help but find this book to be so cliche and predictable. I wish that I enjoyed this more, but the more books I read, the higher my expectations are. If I read an amazing book, I can't stop myself from comparing other books to it. Every book isn't for me, but I wish to read books that I enjoy so that I don't get into another huge reading slump.

“Silenc
Louisa
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3.5 stars)

Can girls and boys ever be just friends?... is a question I've struggled with for years myself. It's a fact of life that we're wired differently. Things change when we grow up. That's what best friends Levi and Macallan (yes, like the whiskey) have to contend with, when Levi moves to Macallan's Wisconsin hometown in the seventh grade.

I've read all of Eulberg's books by now, and I have to confess I love her style of narration. The things her characters go through feel realistic. They m
Stephanie
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Re-read August 2018. I really loved this book just as much the second time around. It's so sweet and oh my goodness the banter! **
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I loved this book! I was caught up with all my current books and didn’t know what to read so I started searching through all the “available now” titles at the library and this was the only one to really grab my interest. I decided to give it a try and I’m so glad that I did! It was such a well
Anne
I received a digital arc from NetGalley and the publisher.

It's being called the When Harry Met Sally for young adults, so right off the bat, I wanted it.
I mean, is there anyone out there who didn't love that movie?!
But this book isn't some rip-off retelling of the movie, so don't worry. No, it's just a really good book about two kids who meet in seventh grade, and how they form an unlikely friendship over the years.

Anybody who has ever had a really close friendship with someone of the opposite s
Más libros para Latinoamérica!! 1 3 Jun 04, 2017 09:11AM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Better Off Friends 1 11 Jul 18, 2016 11:53AM
Reading Addicts: August Other Genre BOTM_Better Off Friends 3 28 Aug 12, 2015 06:40AM
Books like this..?! 2 40 Jul 12, 2015 11:09AM

• The Bridge from Me to You
  • Maybe One Day
  • Breathe, Annie, Breathe
  • The Chapel Wars
  • Wish You Were Italian (If Only . . ., #2)
  • Not in the Script (If Only . . . , #3)
  • Solving for Ex
  • The Trouble with Flirting
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
  • Road Rash
  • The Art of Lainey (The Art of Lainey, #1)
  • The Break-Up Artist (Break-up Artist, #1)
The short and sweet version:
Elizabeth Eulberg was born and raised in Wisconsin before heading off to college at Syracuse University and making a career in the New York City book biz. Now a full-time writer, she is the author of The Lonely Hearts Club, Prom & Prejudice, Take a Bow, Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality, Better Off Friends, We Can Work it Out, Just Another Girl Past Per
“Silence fell between us. This was a common occurrence whenever we’re alone. When you’re comfortable with someone, you don’t need to always fill the void with noise. I liked it when we would just be.” 104 likes
“This entire time I've been thinking about where my home was. At first it was California, then Wisconsin. But in truth, home isn't necessarily where you sleep at night. It's where you feel like yourself. Where you're most comfortable. Where you don't have to pretend, where you can just be you.” 93 likes