Start by marking “Threatened (Ape Quartet #2)” as Want to Read:
Threatened (Ape Quartet #2)

Threatened

(Ape Quartet #2)

Into the jungle. Into the wild. Into harm’s way.

When he was a boy, Luc’s mother would warn him about the “mock men” living in the trees by their home—chimpanzees whose cries would fill the night.

Luc is older now, his mother gone. He lives in a house of mistreated orphans, barely getting by. Then a man calling himself Prof comes to town with a mysterious mission. When Luc t
Published February 25th 2014 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Threatened, please sign up.
Becky This is not a direct sequel to Endangered. Eliot Schrefer plans to write four books, each revolving around one species of great ape. This is the secon…moreThis is not a direct sequel to Endangered. Eliot Schrefer plans to write four books, each revolving around one species of great ape. This is the second book in this group, and is focused more on chimpanzees. If you enjoyed reading Endangered I believe you would also like this book. :)(less)

Start your review of Threatened (Ape Quartet #2)
Maggie Stiefvater
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
As with ENDANGERED, I think this is a teen book that will resonate best with teens — I liked this one even better. Teachers/ librarians: plenty of stuff to talk about with your readers with these books.
jv poore
I want to crawl into this book and live forever with Luc and “his” chimpanzees. Mr. Schrefer’s adoration and admiration of these astounding creatures is obvious and contagious. His complete understanding of the logistics as to why the chimpanzees must be wild animals is as evident as the tug of emotion that wishes it wasn’t so.

Threatened isn’t a glossy, glowing fantasy of strolling under canopies of trees, munching fresh fruit, arms happily swinging without a care in the world. Luc’s story is t
Anthony
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
With a title like “THREATENED” you would expect a book that is suspenseful, and then you see a cute little chimp hanging from a tree and your next thought is “awwww, poor chimp. This must be an ecological novel.” It is, in part, but it is also so much more than that. It is a novel about running from and confronting your fears, it is about making a family and a home, and it is about saving Chimpanzees.

Luc has always been afraid of the chimpanzees that lived in the jungle near his home. Their yell
Felicity Gibson
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
‘Threatened by Eliot Schrefer.’

Read March 15th 2014

I had no idea that this would be a book aimed at young people. To me it was a book aimed directly at myself – all of 70 years old! As a retired teacher, I felt that this book would make a wonderful discussion for High School or Middle School Students. There is so much going on. Basically it is a survivalism story.It begins in a poor town in Gabon; the protagonist is Luc, an AIDS orphan making a living on the streets and being exploited by a rea
Ricki
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Schrefer is an incredibly talented writer; his settings feel authentic in that he makes far away places seem very close to home. I develop a strong kinship with his characters---animal or human.

I expected Threatened to be very similar to Endangered, but I was wrong. Endangered is about an American girl visiting her mother in a Congolese bonobo sanctuary when a civil war breaks out. Threatened, on the other hand, is about an orphan boy from Gabon who goes into the wild with a professor in order t
Sharman Russell
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really felt plunged into a different world, not only of chimpanzees in the jungle, but of being an AIDs orphan in the West African country of Gabon. Some initial details were horrifying--child thieves being threatened with having their hands cut off. I was glad that most of the story deals not with human brutalities but with the matter-of-fact realities of nonhuman nature--how leopards kill chimps, how chimps kill each other, how one animal eats another. The world of chimpanzees is also full o ...more
Holly Mueller
Fantastic story of survival, will, and empathy. I loved Endangered, but I think I liked this one even more! I found my next 6th grade read aloud.
Adele_C1
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I will always love the setting of this series for taking place in jungles and forests. Reading about how the characters scavenge for anything edible and sometimes even following the chimpanzees or bonobos was extremely interesting. Although the plotline of the first two books was all about protecting endangered types of apes, I still liked them a lot as Eliot Schrefer never spares details and always makes sure the reader knows exactly what they are seeing. I will probably also read the last to b ...more
Veronika Cameron
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
Pure. Honest. Fresh.

The nuanced characters of this book-man and ape-are beautifully formed. They are relatable and lovable and reveal the truth about chimpanzees that most of us are clueless about. The perspective of the protagonist is a good choice, for the character is learning like the reader. Mango is the sweetest thing ever, and even Drummer, who we start out hating for his violent nature, reveals himself to be kind too.

I never really thought of chimpanzees as anything more than animals. Of
Suzan Jackson
Part of Schrefer's Ape Quartet & 2014 National Book Award nominee - the story of an African boy living among chimpanzees - an engrossing and fascinating adventure that I loved! And it inspired me to read some of Jane Goodall's work. Read my full review and listen to a sample of the wonderful audio book:

Kanye Smith
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Threatened is by far one of the favorite books ever! As it turns enemies to friends, Eliot Schrefer makes you want to sit on the edge of your chair and read more. When he adds great detail and paints a picture in your head, it encourages you to stay tuned to what happens next.

In the book Threatened by Eliot Schrefer, a boy named Luc is forced to live in a house of mistreated orphans after his mother and sister die, and his father leaves them. When Luc brings home an occasional coin, it goes to h
Michelle Wrona
"I shut the book, smoothed my hands over the cover, and toyed with the spirals at the edge. I wanted to live inside that book. Which is how I knew I was staying."

When beginning and ending this book, this is how I felt and reacted:

At first, I decided to read this book because Eliot's debut, Endangered, was pretty good. It was well-written and captivating for my liking. He always deals with a concept that is unique and fresh. I dove right into it, considerably enjoying it through the middle. But
Beverly
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 12-15
Recommended to Beverly by: Kirkus Starred Reviews
"I was finally making a choice of my own, and it made me feel a contentment that lived right next to terror." Luc is an AIDS orphan in Gabon who has known way too much loss and exploitation in his young life. When an Egyptian researcher offers him a job as his assistant, and the chance to escape the man who has enslaved him since his mother's death, Luc jumps at the chance even though he has only heard horror stories about the chimps who live in the dense Gabonese jungle. Eliot Schrefer's extens ...more
Stephanie A.
As in Endangered, Schrefer has created another fascinating, primate-centric novel in a world that would envelope me into its humid, exotic and wild terrain within seconds of opening its pages. I still do not like chimps quite as much as bonobos, but the ones Luc befriends here are quite charming. And this location is even more remote: you really are one with the chimpanzees, as for great sections of the book there are only one or two humans present, with no trace of civilization Inside.

(view spo
Karen
Wow - what an engrossing book! Schrefer's story about a teenage AIDS orphan in Gabon who befriends a family of chimpanzees while living in the jungle to study them is exciting, fascinating, disturbing and heart-warming all at the same time. Excellent setting and character development, plus a host of thorny issues to discuss make this a good choice for book groups/clubs. Threatened had a strong impact on me, and I can definitely see why it was a 2014 National Book Award finalist (http://www.natio ...more
Warren-Newport Public Library
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, animals
This was an eye opening book. I have to admit I still don't love chimps as much as I love bonobos (after reading his last book), but I have a much bigger appreciation of them now. The two are our closest genetic relatives - which is why he has chosen to study them and write about them.

Schrefer's author's note is also incredibly important: "There are over fifty million AIDS orphans in sub-Saharan Africa: over 300 for each of the remaining wild chimpanzees. Outlooks for both of those populations a
Edward Sullivan
Luc lives in Gabon with other young AIDS orphans boys under the roof of Monsieur Tatagani, an unscrupulous , exploitive man. Professor Abdul Mohammad meets Luc and hires him as his assistant, taking him deep into the jungle to study chimpanzees. Luc discovers he has an interest and aptitude for the work, thrives under Prof’s tutelage. When Prof disappears under mysterious circumstances, Luc must survive on his own. It soon becomes clear to Luc that the human species are far less civilized than t ...more
Sarah Laurence
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fiction
On my best of 2014 list. Schrefer, who clearly did his research, delivers a strong wildlife conservation message while acknowledging human needs in developing countries. This story is educational but entertaining and would appeal to animal lovers and especially to boys who like adventure stories and don't mind gore.

Full review on my blog: http://blog.sarahlaurence.com/2014/12...
Caroline Gilicinski
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is now my favorite book ever! I love the story so much and love the character even more. I earned a lot while reading this, but it was not boring to learn. I love and have always loved monkey so much. When I read this book I felt like I was standing beside Luc the whole time, so it was actually fun to read this book.
Margaret
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book!
Jess
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I am having trouble fitting into this book. A good number of people like it but this one isn't doing it for me.
Rajan Singh
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Threatened by Eliot Schrefer follows an aids orphan deep in the slums of Gabon Africa, named Luc, who has been sold into indentured servitude in order to pay off his he now deceased mother's hospital bills. He meets and befriends “prof” an Arabian professor who is an acclaimed researcher for national geographic. Prof uses counterfeit cash to free Luc from his debt, and take himself Luc and his pet chimpanzee deep into the jungles of Gabon to study chimpanzee behavior and how human activity has a ...more
Rachel Patrick
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I wish this cover was something similar to ENDANGERED's gorgeous hardcover (seen here), I am very much looking forward to THREATENED. I was quite fond of ENDANGERED, a different and unique YA book that featured one of my favorite things: animals. I'd recommend adding ENDANGERED and THREATENED to your TBR lists.

*******

This review (and others) can be seen in all its proper formatting glory--and with quotes!--on my blog Beauty and the Bookshelf.

I'm spending too long thinking of a rating and i
Anna {This lonely strange feeling kinda hurts but that means I'm alive}
I love Eliot Schrefer's writing so far!! I've only read two of his books, but they quickly suck you in and keep you busy!
I think I liked this one better than the first, probably because Luc is out in the jungle instead of just a jungle enclosure. Also bonobos can be a bit awkward at times with how they release stress sooooo yeah. Chimpanzees aren't the same.
It was really cool how I was kinda "in" the troop and following along with all of them. I learned a lot of the chimpanzees' personalities,
Donna Merritt
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Survival stories are not usually my thing, but this one had my attention from the beginning, perhaps because it concerns much more than physical survival. It is survival against loneliness, a feeling of abandonment, trying not to need a family, but wanting one anyway. I originally bought it for my fourth/fifth grade school library, but the violence would be too much for all but the most mature students. I think it's a perfect fit for middle school and beyond, though.

After Luc's mother and siste
Lazy Days
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The same selfishness that makes so many of us hurt the ones we love makes our species hurt creatures that it admires. To hunt and destroy chimpanzees, like they would never do to us. Our treatment of animals is a great failure of our empathy"

A fascinating tale about a young orphan boy living in Gabon who is indebted to a cruel man who treats him like a slave. In a twist of luck he meets a man who changes his life and introduces him to the chimpanzees who become his family.

This was slow in the
Viva
May 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
I picked up Ape Quartet #2 because I really liked book #1. First of all I was a bit disappointed that #2 wasn't a continuation of #1 but it doesn't matter because it seems like the subject matter would broadly be the same: YA book on primates in Africa.

Spoilers: The plot begins with an orphan boy in Gabon rescued by an academic researcher doing an article for National Geographic. They travel deep into the wild to research chimpanzees.

I have to say I didn't really like the book. The plot didn't
Philip
Worthy - if slightly less hard hitting - follow-up to Schrefer's outstanding Endangered, as the previous book combined it's excellent "ape story" with a realistic and often brutal overview of the Congo's painful colonial past and tumultuous present.

Interesting that in his Author's Notes, Schrefer states that he wrote Threatened in part to compensate for the "bad rap" chimps got in Endangered - written before he read Jane Goodall's memoirs. Reminded me of Peter Benchley saying he could not write
Callie Hennessy
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
After reading this book, even though it was fiction, it gave me a new perspective. As an 8th grade girl who lives in a city life, this was very interesting to see how this boy (Luc) and Prof lived out in the jungle with monkeys. I've read Endangered before and since this was the second book in the series, I thought I should read it. Though it wasn't as good as the first book, it was still great. As I said before, it was about a boy who wasn't treated very well and was given a chance to do some r ...more
Sean
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a great book that exhibits many environmental problems and issues in the world right now. The author was really creative to give the message that our nature is in danger through a story. At first, I picked up this book expecting an intense book, but in reality, tt is a novel about dealing and facing your fears, making a family and a home, and saving Chimpanzees.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Henrico Youth Boo...: Threatened by Eliot Schrefer 2 11 Jan 18, 2015 05:37PM

• Only The River
  • Три ябълки паднаха от небето
  • After Kilimanjaro
  • The Black Flamingo
  • The Secret in Their Eyes
  • The Red Pencil
  • Trash
  • Insert Groom Here (Unconventional Brides, #1)
  • Bamboo People
  • We Are the Wildcats
  • Fighting Attraction (Redemption, #4)
  • Bloomability
  • Lives Laid Away (August Snow #2)
  • Shoot the Bastards (Crystal Nguyen Thriller #1)
  • Milwaukee Noir
  • The Devil's Cave (Bruno, Chief of Police, #5)
  • The Moscow Deception (The Guardian, #2)
  • The Mad King
I write books and then, by an astounding stroke of good fortune, someone publishes them. My first two books, Glamorous Disasters and The New Kid, were for adults, and then I had a momentous lunch with author/editor David Levithan when I became a young adult author.

Since then, you can blame me for a number of titles, including The School for Dangerous Girls, The Deadly Sister, and Endangered. Two

Ape Quartet (4 books)
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet #1)
  • Rescued (Ape Quartet #3)
  • Orphaned (Ape Quartet #4)

News & Interviews