Start by marking “Burying Ben (A Dot Meyerhoff Mystery)” as Want to Read:
Burying Ben (A Dot Meyerhoff Mystery)

Burying Ben

(Dot Meyerhoff #1)

Published September 2013 by Aakenbaaken & Kent (first published August 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Burying Ben, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burying Ben

Start your review of Burying Ben (A Dot Meyerhoff Mystery)
Ellen Kirschman
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: lovers of cozy mysteries
Not only did I read Burying Ben, I wrote it. I have no idea why GR is asking me for a review of my own book, but it appears that the only way to get GR to stop asking me if I've finished it is to give it a review. So here goes: Brilliant, worth ten stars, the best debut mystery of 2013 with the quirkiest female sleuth to come along in decades. Thanks GR, hope that fixes the problem. ...more
Janice
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a good introduction to a new series for me, featuring a woman who has just taken a new position as a police psychologist. I am looking forward to the next in the series.
Jodie
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I first started this book, I was worried about what I had gotten myself into. It sounded interesting, but there was no easing into the story in this book!
Dot Meyerhoff is a newly appointed psychologist for the Kenilworth Police Department. She was told she had to be there to see the body of a suicide victim immediately. At the time, she met Ben Gomez, a young rookie, who is having trouble adjusting to his new role. He used to work at the grocery store and his new field training officer is c
Helaine Mario
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
smart, touching and insightful. dialogue rings totally true. this author knows, and cares for, the cops world
Kat, lover of bears...
I loved this book! I am a medically retired 911 operator/public safety dispatcher with a post traumatic stress injury. The author is one of the clinicians at the West Coast Post Trauma Retreat for First Responders. In person she is insightful, intuitive, and just all around fabulous. One of my favorite genre's is crime mysteries/thrillers. This book delivered everything I hoped for and more.

The characters were likable and I found them completely realistic and authentic. Hearing the story from t
Patricia Gligor
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Burying Ben," the first novel by Ellen Kirschman, is not a traditional mystery; it's so much more! Dr. Dot Meyerhoff faces many challenges in her new position as police psychologist. As she strives to get to know the men on the force and to gain their trust, Ben Gomez, a young recruit she has seen only a few times, commits suicide. And she didn't see it coming! As she and her superiors question her abilities, she becomes determined to find out what caused Ben to take his own life. The book is a ...more
Christine Bialczak
Jun 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
You are instantly drawn in to this story, trying to figure out why this young man has killed himself, or was he killed? The characters are very believable and so is the storyline. The author has successfully combined so many different characters with differing story lines, making the plot more complex as you continue and attempt what Dot, the main character, is also trying to do; figure out who is involved and why.
Dot had a messy divorce with her old partner and co-author of psychology books. S
C.J.
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A book that opens with the suicide of a sympathetic character is not a book I'd normally expect to like, or maybe even finish. Burying Ben caught me up fast and kept me turning pages straight through to the end. Unexpectedly, it's an ideal read for this "perfect storm" season of coronavirus, wildfires and hurricanes, political deceit and treachery, when hugging a dear friend might kill you. Nobody (including the narrator) is quite who we think they are, or who they think they are. Kirschman is a ...more
C
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, 2017, thriller, suspense
Alot of suspense

This could all be a true story, with the politics and suicide, and crooked police department. Couldn't wait to find out what would happen next. Well written. Came together at the end very nicely. Great job. This is my second book by this Author and have more by her on my to read list.
Jim Potter
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ellen Kirschman’s mystery, Burying Ben, is a page-turner!
It’s got everything: believable cops, engaging plot, and the perfect pace with a “whodunit” to the end.
It even addressed my last requirement in a great read of this genre—no loose ends!
Now I’m eager to read the next Dot Meyerhoff Mystery!—Jim Potter, author of Cop in the Classroom: Lessons I’ve Learned, Tales I’ve Told
Karen
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This author is local to me. I met her at a library panel of mystery authors.

I decided to try her series and really enjoyed it.

If the rest of my group does also, we will invite Ellen to dinner.

Looking forward to everyone's comments next week.

I bought a copy of Ellen's book.
Col
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k, 2014
Synopsis/blurb…..

Dot Meyerhoff has barely settled into her new job as a psychologist for the Kenilworth Police Department when Ben Gomez, a troubled young rookie that she tries to counsel, commits suicide without any warning and leaves a note blaming her. Overnight, her promising new start becomes a nightmare. At stake is her job, her reputation, her license to practice, and her already battered sense of self-worth.

Dot resolves to find out not just what led Ben to kill himself, but why her psych
Reads A-Lot
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dot Meyerhoff is a newly-hired police psychologist with a subdued tells-it-like-it-is attitude. Ben Gomez is a naive, rookie cop, who nearly gets sick when seeing his first dead body at the scene of a crime. Constantly hassled by his superiors and peers, Ben starts to question whether or not he’s cut out for police work. That’s where Doc Dot comes in.

Part of me was worried about poor, old Ben. He obviously was struggling with some major emotional set-backs. But Dot did have a point: “Academic t
Lori
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks

Started off a little slow then picks up a couple of chapters in. Really enjoyed the story. While not completely surprised by ending there where a few unexpected turns making it an entertaining, interesting and a well written story.

Psychologist Dot Meyerhoff is hired to monitor new recruits for the police department. She has been trying to counsel Ben Gomez. Unfortunately this does not work and Ben commits suicide. This makes Dot second guess herself as to what she could have done differ
Judith Janeway
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Ellen Kirschman’s Burying Ben snatches you up from the first scene and keeps your eyes fastened on the page until the surprising twist ending. The protagonist, Dot Meyerhoff, is a clinical psychologist newly hired by the police department. She instantly has to face multiple challenges, like the cops’ skepticism about the value of what she can bring to the table and her boss’s expectation of instantaneous “fixes.” I really like Kirschman’s portrayal of the Meyerhoff character, who has good psycho ...more
Carrie
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This audiobook was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review courtesy of AudiobookBoom.com.

I think that the narration threw off the story for me. Listening to the words that were being said, specifically by the main character, it seemed like she was actually a pretty sassy woman, but the narration made her seem kind of pathetic. One minute I would like her & the next, I hated her, but not because she was unlikeable, just because I thought she wa
Shauna
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Burying Ben was not what I was expecting. Ellen handles the topic of suicide well. This book was well written. The plot kept moving at a decent pace and the characters were all people we "know" in everyday life. Eddie, the toughened street cop, Dot, the psychologist, Fran, the diner owner, and Ben, the young cop full of promise and hope for his future. Throw in some crazy in-laws and you have a fast paced novel full of drama, heartbreak, humor, and a little romance.

I loved Dot the psychologist.
Emily
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A captivating and stellar first novel!

From the first to last sentences, Burying Ben was great. I highly recommend it! Ellen has a beautiful way of breathing such life and spunk into her characters, and it's hard not to love the novel's protagonist, police psychologist Dr. Dot Meyerhoff. Burying Ben follows Dr. Dot Meyerhoff's quest to understand why rookie Ben Gomez committed suicide. What she uncovers during her journey is poignant, and as a reader you experience a plethora of emotions. Buryin
Kelvin Reed
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed "Burying Ben" (2013) by Ellen Kirschman. Psychologist Dr. Dot Meyerhoff is contracted to monitor the progress of newly hired police officers as they learn the ropes. Unfortunately, rookie Ben Gomez commits suicide. Wracked with guilt over missing the warning signs, Dot investigates Ben’s life on her own, opening herself to professional harm as she wades through the young man’s life and the police department’s secrets. Veteran alcoholic cop Eddie Rimbauer is a scene stealer who deserves ...more
Ronda
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Ordered this book for myself, but my husband grabbed it first. It was difficult to watch him enjoying the book while waiting for my turn. Once I started reading it, I was totally drawn in and couldn't put it down. I like to try and figure out "who done it" myself. This book kept me guessing until the end! A very well written book with twists and sub-plots. Great insight into the law enforcement profession. I hope this is a series and Ellen writes more Dot Meyerhoff mysteries. ...more
Steve
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dot Meyerhoff is my kind of hero! knocked down? get up. Mistreated? fight back. See injustice? get mad. Discouraged? eat a big bowl of popcorn.

This woman does not give up until she gets to the bottom of the mystery. you will enjoy going along with her on the trip.

When you get near the end of the book put the mobile phone on silent. You won't want to answer it or do anything else until you chase the twists and turns to the very end.

April
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
"This audiobook was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review courtesy of Audiobook Blast."

I wanted to listen to this book after "The Right Wrong Thing." I liked the overall plotline, with police drama and personal drama too.
The narration was well done for the most part, Eddie was a bit whiny and Mark was absolutely BORING! I still liked the performance.
Katherine Donavan
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ellen Kirschman first novel is more than a traditional mystery. Dr. Dot Meyerhoff, police psychologist, must get to know not only the men on the force and gain their trust, but a new recruit has just commmitted suicide.

To keep the respect of the men and her supervisors she needs to unravel the mystery around his death.

Iit was a very interesting story that was well written.
Diannetatro
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Burying Ben is a captivating read. The mystery drew me in and I did little else until I got to the end of this book. I love the main character and hope there will be more Dot Meyerhoff mysteries to follow.
Jolene Everett
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Finally an a-typical mystery.

Burying Ben is told from the perspective of a police psychologist so the reader gets to see the police in a whole new light. It is moving and reads genuine.

The ending was original and I did not see it coming.

I would give this book to friends.
Lillie
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the unconventional protagonist--a psychologist working with cops. The story was a good mystery as well, though I wondered why the psychologist did some of the things and took some of the risks she did to find out why Ben committed suicide.
Marie Johnson
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Burying Ben was excellent! Nothing like the predictable plots of many books. Poor old Dot got herself in quite a bit of trouble. Glad she made it out. Very satisfying! Like a PTSD refresher course.
Suzan
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I enjoyed listening to this book and following Dot in her search for answers to what really happened to Ben. This is a first book in a new series will be looking for more to come. I received this book free with the understanding I would leave an honest review.
Susie
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twisted - it kept me wanting to listen to more. I would have given it 5 stars, except the narrator really made me crazy. I would have to increase the rate just so I could listen to it. Her male character voices were too similar and too slow. I love cop stories based in the bay area!!!
Cindy
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Child molestation & suicide themes handled compassionately in an interesting plot. References for (1st responder) suicide prevention included. Will read this author again.

• Beware the Cuckoo: Two women, one man, and a buried secret....
  • Buried Deep
  • The Girlfriend
  • The Bone Farm (Jane Hawk, #0.5)
  • Hold Still
  • Mother Knows Best
  • Last Girl Gone (Laura Chambers Mystery, #1)
  • Find Us
  • The Marriage Pact
  • Second Skin
  • The Hospital (Mountain Man, #0.5)
  • The Case of the Chinese Boxes (Claudia Valentine, #2)
  • The Life And Crimes Of Harry Lavender (Claudia Valentine, #1)
  • The Last Tango of Delores Delgado (Claudia Valentine, #3)
  • The Disappearances of Madalena Grimaldi (Claudia Valentine, #4)
  • Angel Without Mercy (Agnes Carmichael, #1)
  • Angel of Vengeance (Agnes Carmichael, #2)
  • Angel Of Death (Agnes Carmichael, #3)
I've been a police and public safety psychologist for thirty-plus years, before I had any gray hair. My work with first responders has taken me to four countries and twenty-two states.

I Love a Cop: What Police Families Need to Know was my first book and, to date, it has sold more than 100,000 copies. I Love a Fire Fighter: What the Family Needs to Know came next, followed by Counseling Cops: Wha

Dot Meyerhoff (3 books)