Start by marking “Muse (Descended From Myth, #1)” as Want to Read:
Muse (Descended From Myth, #1)

Muse

(Descended From Myth #1)

The Brotherhood of the Guardians has existed for thousands of years to serve a single purpose: the protection of Talents, the mortal descendants of the original nine Muses.

Twenty-one year-old Daniel Lyoncourt has trained his entire life to join the Guardians. Daniel is prepared to risk his life in order to keep his Talent safe, but when he's assigned to nineteen year-old
Mass Market Paperback, 180 pages
Published September 13th 2013 by Createspace (first published September 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Muse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Muse

Start your review of Muse (Descended From Myth, #1)
Booknut
A mix of mythology & good old romance, Muse is a fun read.

The highlight? Daniel, for sure! Here's a sneak peek:
'"I don't see any bruises," Sara chimed in.
"Just mmuuuuuuscles," Ginger sighed.

That was about enough for me, now I had to see who the heck they were ogling, though I had a sneaking suspicion that I already knew. Tylinda and I both walked over to the window, even though she had been able to see most of the view from where we'd been sitting.

Out in the yard, one of the big trucks had
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Daniel had worked all his life to be the great Guardian he was destined to be. But he had second thoughts when he finally learned who he would be watching over. Anna was breathtakingly beautiful and he assumed it was only a matter of time before he became blind in love and be like his father and would leave his family soon. Of course, this devastated his mom a whole lot, but then what choice did they have?

Anna was working her way up to success. But she didn't have confidence in herself. She's
Curly Carla Celebrity Readers

Solid first book by Mrs. McFadden! And I love the cover.

I received this book from the author because she is super nice. I would categorize this as a YA paranormal romance. It was a great, cute story. I felt that the romance might have been rushed a little bit for the story within the time frame; but with extreme circumstances come extreme emotions so with that the book was consistent.

Totally appropriate for ages 14 and up I feel. The book had a very easy
A Girl Among Books
*I was given a copy of this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review.*

I wasn't ready for how fast this book sucked me into it's gravitational pull. From page one I was hooked. The author seamlessly draws you into a world where being a Muse can be dangerous. I really enjoyed the storyline and plot of this novel, it was different than most of the young adult books out there. I've read lots of novels in this genre and this is one of the best I have read in a long time. The
Katie McKnight
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. Daniel Lyoncourt trained his whole life to join the Guardians. At the same time, he promises himself not to place the Talent he'll represent before his family. His father placed his Talent before the family, causing his mother to suffer a great deal of pain.

His promises die the moment he lays his eyes on Anna Saint-James. Not only is she beautiful, she is not aware of her abilities. Daniel promises to protect and teacher her at the same
Michele Breaux-Rowley
******I received Muse as an ARC for an honest review.*******

I waited after finishing this book to write this review to see if after a couple of days my thoughts on it might change. Nope! Simply put, I loved this book, from start to finish. I loved the characters, the story, the action, the sarcasm, the obscure references to television shows and movies of my youth. There were awwww moments, there were angry moments and there were moments that were truly laugh out loud. It was a coming of age
Shy
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
The series title of this book got me really curious because I love Myth stories and how they relate or differ to the Mythology I learned from school.

The premise of the story was very original which made me glad that I read this book. The characters are very dimensional with also so much room for progress and growth for the next books. I personally loved Daniel's character. Which is something unusual for me because I always tend to like more the characters that are not the main characters to the
Branden
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Epic, is a word that comes to mind after reading this book... I don't read many books, mainly because it's hard for me to find a book that hooks me from the beginning. Not a problem with this one! The way the author alternates chapters between the two main characters really drew me in and kept me interested. Being a male, I found myself chuckling a lot as you sometimes got both Anna's and then Daniel's, very different, points of view on the same situation and thinking "yep that's what I would ...more
Michelle Moklebust
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let me start with: if you haven’t read Muse: Descended from Myth: Book One, the debut offering by indie author Erin McFadden, you should.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story, and I’m thrilled I was paying attention long enough to know when it was released. The writing is smooth and crisp. The main characters, Daniel and Anna, are well-rounded, and their relationship believable. I was rooting for them the whole time. The world Erin has created is exactly what I expect from an urban fantasy, meaning
Julie McCleary
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In this story Erin really knows how to capture the readers attention, I was completely and utterly engrossed from the very first chapter.
This story to me is about love at first sight and it's journey to being true love. When Daniel & Anna meet for the first time you can see their connection is immediate. Anna is a quiet, caring and reserved young woman and Daniel is a strong loving man that will do whatever it takes to keep Anna safe.
If you love the thought of muses and their powers to do
Danielle
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely love, love, love this. A little bit of Greek mythology is always a plus! I wished there was more of it, but I get why there wasn't. Anna wasn't annoyingly stupid or helpless, she was the right amount of kind, brave, and personable. Daniel was just a little dramatic, but in such an adorable way.

I would definitely recommend!
Shane Miller
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My wife read this book in two days and she loved it. I decided to give it a shot. Wow. I now know why she couldn't put it down. The characters are so real. They talk like real people, like you do with your friends. The book is witty, funny and action packed. I can't wait for the next book to come out.

L.A. Remenicky
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! I cannot wait to read the next book in the series to see how the relationship between Anna and Daniel grows and changes.

I'm also looking forward to see how Anna's talent has changed and how she will use it in her life.
Amanda Gibson
This was different than the book I normally read and I loved it! It had some romance, some funny, some action. I loved finding out about the talents and puzzling out what was going to happen next. Once you pick it up, you won't put out down! I received a free copy of this book.
Gladys Gonzales Atwell
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by Erin McFadden and it won't be my last!

In this book we have Daniel, 21, and Anna, 19, who are assigned to work together. Daniel must teach Ana to control her gifts and to keep her safe. He must also find a way to show her how talented she is and that he deserves a place in her life.

All
Dorothy Kirby
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This review is from: Muse: Descended from Myth: Book One (Kindle Edition)
I was given this eBook in exchange for an honest review.
Erin McFadden is an new author to me and I am very glad that I read this book. As a former school librarian, I have read quite a few stories written for the young adult and very few are so entertaining and well done. There are elements of danger, romance, intrigue and family ties all presented in an easily recognizable style to which young adults would understand and
Emma
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great way to spend the weekend snowed in. It's been some time since I read something so quickly and easily. The pace was good the ideas were fresh and the characters were likeable. I always enjoy hearing stories from multiple perspectives. I didn't want to wait to get my hands on the next book, and purchased it immediately after finishing this one. It was a great straightforward plot which is just what I wanted right now for a quick escape.
Frederic
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the immense privilege to read the Muse; what an entertaining read it was! The author provided me with a free copy of her book in exchange of an honest review, which is what I’m doing now.

The muse/talents theme was greatly exploited. It is a truly creative and original way to base the story on. The Guardian organization is very interesting as well and I love the dimension that it brings to the story. There is some violence in this book, but nothing too graphic and it is serving well the
Stephanie
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, kobo
*I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.** may contain spoilers**
This book I had high expectations for, since I read the summary and I was instantly drawn into the idea of Talents, Guardians and the unique situations they encounter, and let me tell you I was not disappointed in the least. This book had it all Greek mythology, a small mystery that I did not think was that important at first...but it was, A hunky Guardian, Adventure and even a beautiful story.
After
Jamie
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Yes! This is just what I was looking for! I miss paranormal books like this one!

Daniel is a Guardian. His father was a Guardian as was his grandfather. It was what he was born to be. Anna is a Talent. She has an ability to influence those around her - she's a Muse.

Anna has no idea about her talent. She just knows that all of her friends are super successful in their own ways. She has no idea that she's the reason why.

Daniel is called to be her Guardian. He goes in weary - knowing that his
Book Banshee
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Erin McFadden is a wonderful writer, I was completely lost in the world she created in Muse.

This book has been sitting on my Kindle calling to me for a few months now, long before I started blogging. I would browse through the books on in my library and there Anna was staring at me, beckoning me to read her story.

I honestly think Anna Saint-James used her influence on me.

And when I finally did. I was not disappointed.

It has been a while since I have read a YA book, and Erin McFadden’s writing
Doris
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*I was provided a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

This was a great read and an excellent start to a new series. I was very happy to have the opportunity to check it out!
We are introduced to Daniel Lyoncourt, a young man who has trained his entire life to be a guardian to the Talented. Talents are the descendants of Greek Muses, and they each possess some level of power to influence. He is paired with an unknown named Anna. Anna is a foster child who has grown up thankful for
Jennifer Bardsley
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Clean” YA can be hard to come by so I was especially excited to read Muse (Descended From Myth Book 1), by debut author Erin McFadden.

Anna is unaware that she is a Talent, capable of impressing her will upon other people and inspiring them to greatness, until a Guardian named Daniel explains her powers. As their two fates intertwine, Anna and Daniel face danger, darkness, and the irresistible draw to each other, even though Talent/Guardian relationships never work out.

At 181 pages, Muse is an
Kat
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Let's talk about Muses baby, let's talk about you and me! (you know you sung it!) You need to read this, and I need to read the next book "Talent"!
If you love stories from Greek Mythology brought into the Modern era. this is your read! Daniel Lyoncourt is from a long line of Guardians here to protect the descendants of the nine original Muses. First hand he saw how his obligation to his Job could impact a family if he were to have one, one day. He made himself a promise to steer clear of his
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
This book is written from the perspectives of both Anna and Daniel, so we get to see both sides. Anna is a bit of an anomaly as she is unaware of being a Talent, or anything that it entails. Daniel has grown up knowing what it is like to have a parent more interested in his charge, than with his family and is determined not to follow the same path. That intention gets blown out of the water as soon as he meets Anna.

This is a fast-paced young adult romance, filled with quirks and quips
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: action adventure, romance, cozy,
Recommended to Laura by: Erin McFadden
Before I read this book I knew that it involved Talents and Watchers and Guardians. I had no idea what that meant, but I figured it would be sci-fi or paranormal or otherworldly related.

I don't feel that way after reading the story. This is a good tale that makes you feel involved with the characters from the beginning.
It is action adventure with a non-graphic romance thrown in.
Whether you believe in the powers of the characters or not, it is well written and allows you to suspend any disbelief
Shannan Williams
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From page one of this book, I was pulled in to a whole different world. This book grabbed my attention from the very beginning and kept it the entire time. I felt like I was right there with Daniel and Anna, getting to know them; like I was a part of their lives. Not too many books can pull me into their world like that, but this one did an outstanding job! I read this in a matter of hours and didn't want it to end. I didn't want to stop reading about Daniel and Anna.

This author is going on my
Pamela Beckford
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I stumbled across this author quite by accident. It turns out she went to high school with my daughter so I thought I would give her book a try. I don't typically read YA fantasy. But it was well written, the characters were developed and believable and I was definitely entertained.

While I enjoyed the book (and I would read more from the author), it read like a short story to me. That isn't necessarily a bad thing though. But I would have liked to have had more background on the Watchers.
Jessica Tarrats
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I picked this read up and I am glad I did! I was hooked from the very first page and fell in love with the book.

This is a fantasy read but co-exists with the “real” world as we know it. Their worlds collide and together they face a world of uncertain danger but what else do they encounter? Daniel descends from a long line of men who call themselves Guardians and Anna unknowingly descends from a line of Muses, also known as Talents. Daniel is willing to give his
Kathleen
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just finished Muse, and I LOVED it!

I picked this book up and I couldn’t put it down. Erin drew me in to the world of talents and guardians. I couldn’t wait to see what was going to happen next. The book took me through a surprising range of emotions from suspense to laughter to rooting for young love.

Muse is based in the Midwest, USA (where I’m from), which made it fun to read. The entire book is written in the first person, not an easy task, and I really enjoyed this writing style.

This book

• Devious Ingenues

Contemporary fantasy author Erin McFadden lives in Indiana with her two daughters. They love reading and watching movies together, as well as camping and hiking in the great outdoors. Erin dreams of packing up and visiting all the magical, historical spots in Europe she has read about.
An unabashed geek, Erin loves science fiction, all things paranormal, and anything involving a conspiracy theory.

Descended From Myth (2 books)
  • Talent (Descended from Myth #2)